Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never had any trouble with the wifi, ever. The 7-24 was the best improvement in speed and performance yet. The video playback from the same videos that were on the PD now will also pause for a second every 15 seconds or so. not exceptable.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Boot up time is ~8 seconds faster (granted, I haven't tested it with GE yet). However, the 8/6 firmware seems to have the old "go into disabled WiFi mode after rebooting" issue. No instant on for me.Video playback looks exactly the same to me (which is not a positive).So far, 8/6 wins big with re-enabling WiFi manually (not sleep / power on). That's actually pretty key for me, as I sometimes want to turn that off if I'm reading, for example.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Previously, I had to endlessly fight with wifi to get it to connect, and also to reconnect after sleeping. I kept getting "remembered, not in range" when of course it was in range.With this version, it seems to "just work".

·
Registered
15 Posts
WIFI is much more stable for me and connects very fast. Also the range seems to have improved.I use RockPlayer for videos (mostly .avi) and the playback is much smoother now.Also it seems that I don't have to "push" on the screen anymore, all it needs it's a slight "touch" now and it responds instantly.All in all, I think this is a better update.This is just my experience until now...your millage may vary...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The UI seems a bit smoother, especially with the DVM update. I think the 8/6 firmware is a step up, overall. And my no WiFi after reboot has gone away, at least for the moment.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I hope so too. However, when finished downloading the ZIP, I noticed its name looks like S10_08_06_K_PD..... Somebody here has determined that the K versions might be for Kohl PDNs, whatever that may mean. Whereas mine is BB&Bs... could the discrepancy of opinions here be caused by whatever difference. Newest User Guide also has this:2. Tap the SD download appropriate for your model.Any ideas?

·
Registered
361 Posts
aludal;36653]I hope so too. However said:
K[/B]_PD..... Somebody here has determined that the K versions might be for Kohl PDNs, whatever that may mean. Whereas mine is BB&Bs... could the discrepancy of opinions here be caused by whatever difference. Newest User Guide also has this:2. Tap the SD download appropriate for your model.Any ideas?
I believe all of the F/W from the PD site has been "K". "B" was pre-installed BB&B.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Look: that's exactly what I'm trying to tell. "B" models were meant for reading in the Bed, Bath & (a little) Beyond, whereas "Kohl" models were tuned for reading somewhere else. Can't tell you where because don't know what Kohl caters.Just kidding. However, to put it more seriously, there's a "Black" PDN, and it's a fact, not a conjecture... A third model they hint at in their User Guide?

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
bugeyed;36666 said:
I believe all of the F/W from the PD site has been "K". "B" was pre-installed BB&B.
I have updated F/W both ways and the computer update "option 1" has always given me a "B" and the SD update "option 2" has always given me a "K".The 08_06 F/W has cleared up my WiFi issues (trouble reconnecting and range) I also get the correct page when returning to a book when this was random with the 07_18 F/W.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
For me the 08_06 firmware has been horrible. My PDN is now sluggish and unresponsive. Before it was pretty snappy on the 07_24 firmware. Also WiFi is very problematic now. After booting it connects right away but then after a minute or two the WiFi disconnects, cannot find any APs and I cannot get it to reconnect for a couple of minutes. I am going back to 07_24.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
[quote name='aludal;36691]Just kidding. However' date=' to put it more seriously, there's a "Black" PDN, and it's a fact, not a conjecture... A third model they hint at in their User Guide?[/QUOTE']Speculating here is pointless. Pandigital has proven itself glacial in its development, and there has been no noise on a third PDN. There was noise on the white for a long time, there's been noise on the black for as long as the white, and the black is out in 4 days. From interviews with personnel at pandigital, we're betting most of the changes in the black are cosmetic, with a different battery, one speaker, and a smaller form factor. My understanding is that the k and b fw are fungible. I got 8-1 "b" fw from someone and was running it until the recent update.

·
Registered
365 Posts
lawman;37758 said:
My understanding is that the k and b fw are fungible. I got 8-1 "b" fw from someone and was running it until the recent update.
Fungible? There you go again with those hi-falootin words. (You know I'm teasing...tbh I love those exotic low-frequency words that only philosophy majors and people who went to law school use).Holy crap...law school...lawman...nah, I'm sure it's a coincidence...-MattPS I'm totally serious: a friend taught me the meaning of fungible while she was a 1st year law student.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, I'm hoping that Nate's review of the black is a soup to nuts job which compares it with the white. Battery run down tests, speed at opening apps etc etc. Obviously it will only be against standard OS as it looks like he can't hack the black one but at least we should get some idea of the difference.On the 18th I wonder if they will actually be available in stores? If so then they should be shipping them out over the next few days. Anyone know anybody who works at BBB or Kohls or Radioshack? They could probably find out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not seeing any improvement to WiFi. But my PDN is running slowwwwwwer. Touch not as responsive. Wait. Just shutdown and restarted again. Seems beter on second restart. I'll post again after trying out video.... etc.....For those with poor performance, shut down one more time and restart.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.