Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive installed several of the OS's from WITS, and have found that my wifi sucks on this latest build. Has anyone else had issues? And is there a fix somewhere?Any reply would be appreciated..j

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mines was shipped with 08/09 firmware and the wifi worked great never turned off when the screen went off, no random resets. But I just flashed 08/31 and I get a issue with wifi turning off when the screen goes of f and can't be accessed until reset, also get many random resets (don't know if its related). I had installed wifi buddy app so I just un installedand see how my results are now. On a side note, do you have wifi auto connect on boot? Mines does but I think its a side effect of wifi buddy cause I don't see it in settings as an optionSent from my A81E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Define suck.Does it "freeze" or turn off after using it for a while? I've got that problem. All of a sudden I noticed the browser doesn't load pages anymore. When I go to Settings > Wifi, it freezes and I'm forced to press the Home button. But it happens after like an hour or so, and not so often. Only happened like 2 or 3 times. I'm on firmware 0809 BTW. I'm not that bothered by it, but I wish they'd fix these little nuances as less patient Average Joes will pass off this device as garbage the moment it fails them even just once. Demanding as they are, they're right. It shouldn't be on the market if it's this buggy. Then again, I can't complain about the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you set the wifi sleep to 'never'? If not, seems wifi will be frozen when screen was locked. I didn't encounter any wifi issues with the option set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote name='Kalvin;52469]Did you set the wifi sleep to 'never'? If not' date=' seems wifi will be frozen when screen was locked. I didn't encounter any wifi issues with the option set.[/QUOTE'] I have been looking through the setting and cannot seem to find where the "wifi sleep option" is. If you do not mind can you tell me how to get to that option?

·
Registered
40 Posts
ok people, if you are willing to stand up and make a statement like wifi sucks, let post some logs. As a community we can not do anything without some supporting data.use logcat, aLogCat, LogCollector etc.Post the logs or shut up.KO

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have thought "It is strange" since update with 0831.Turn on the A81 and I have to control wifi in Setting menu.Of course Wifi works very fine but I should turn on wifi menu everytime when I turn A81 on. It is very annoying. 0831 firmware has something problems.so baaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddd!:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seti;52603 said:
I have been looking through the setting and cannot seem to find where the "wifi sleep option" is. If you do not mind can you tell me how to get to that option?
Go into Wi-Fi Settings, and the press your menu button and select Advanced from the popup menu.I haven't tested it enough to see if it works yet.I'll try to post some logs when I can get some. I'm at work now and don't have wifi access, so I can't reproduce the problem till I get home.Edit:I don't seem to be getting my random reboots at work with wifi turned off, so maybe they are caused by problems with the wifi connection as well. It might not be able to go to sleep properly with the wifi on, so it fails and restarts itself instead.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a known bug whereby if your wireless network (SSID) has 2 or more access points within range, the wi-fi is pretty much unusable. For me it stops working a few seconds after it connects.This has been present with the 2 previous firmware releases as well as 0831.I worked around this by adding a virtual interrface (second SSID) to one of my Wireless Access points. I can do that because the AP is running DD-WRT (technically it is a wireless router being used just as an AP.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
[quote name='jbmatson;52923]Edit:I don't seem to be getting my random reboots at work with wifi turned off' date=' so maybe they are caused by problems with the wifi connection as well. It might not be able to go to sleep properly with the wifi on, so it fails and restarts itself instead.[/QUOTE'] I agree, i think the service level reboots are due to a wifi problem, i have yet been able to catch a log however, so far the only log was something about Watchdog Service not responding and it restarted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote name='jbmatson;52923]Go into Wi-Fi Settings' date=' and the press your menu button and select Advanced from the popup menu.I haven't tested it enough to see if it works yet.I'll try to post some logs when I can get some. I'm at work now and don't have wifi access, so I can't reproduce the problem till I get [URL=home.Edit:I]home.Edit:I[/URL] don't seem to be getting my random reboots at work with wifi turned off, so maybe they are caused by problems with the wifi connection as well. It might not be able to go to sleep properly with the wifi on, so it fails and restarts itself instead.[/QUOTE']Thanks, I have changed the settings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is strange, I'm also getting Wifi troubles now. I got my A81E 4 days ago, immediately flashed it to 0831 and the first 2 days Wifi worked fine (except when the device was idle for some time, then even the wifi settings app crashed, like someone above reported)But since yesterday my Wifi keeps disconnecting/reconnecting the whole time. If I have luck the Wifi is stable for a few minutes, but then starts to reconnect the whole time again.I don't know why it suddenly started to make trouble, it absolutely worked fine 2 days long and I've been surfing for hours.I do have a few other AP's in my neighbourhood. Today I connected to my companies Wifi and there it worked fine, it is also the only Wifi AP in [email protected] don't understand what you mean, why would adding a second SSID help?

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's nuts if it can't handle competing APs. Bit of a worry seeing my A81E should be arriving in a few days time. My area is pretty devoid of wifi competitors so maybe I am lucky?? But, even so, I would feel happier without these reports.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I've been able to determine is that it does not like any kind of encryption. I've been ganking internet off of my nexus one. And it works fine, If I connect to my home wifi, with WEP, it shows that I have a connection, and an IP, but no flow. Sites never load, my calendar wont sync, and market hangs. And whats up with the D*&m power management? One minute the battery is full, and the next, the thing shuts itself off. Its a definate "love-hate" device.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know general posts about "well mine works ok" aren't that useful to someone with a problem. But I'm running 831 and the A81 connects fine to my WPA 802.11n network so it isn't that the firmware just won't connect to a network with encryption

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping someone would reply with some good news. Gives me renewed hope. There must be hundreds whose wifi works well, hopefully. Maybe by weeks end I will know whether mine works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
unixbob;55347 said:
I know general posts about "well mine works ok" aren't that useful to someone with a problem. But I'm running 831 and the A81 connects fine to my WPA 802.11n network so it isn't that the firmware just won't connect to a network with encryption
What Im trying to say, is that it connects. To both, WEP and WPA2. Its just after a couple of minutes, the feed stops. And I get no movement with the browser, or any of the other applications that use the net.Right now, im using a Linksys n, with a basic wep key. Im in a rural area, but not that rural. And would prefer not to have everything laying wide open. Could you tell me what brand of router your using? It might help in our desire to correct this issue.Many thanks.

·
Banned
205 Posts
I think the problem with multiple access points is only when they are on the SAME network (ex. my network has 2 wifi routers.)there is no problem with multiple connections from different networks.I can see about 4 of my neighbors networks and can connect fine. I connect wep w/pass at work and wpa2 psk at home no problems(my wifi sleep is OFF). This is just to let everyone know that the problems here don't exist for everyone.Both work and home use the standard Verizon Fios Routers (actiontec)Have connected to many open networks(pizza place, Park, etc.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts