Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
01. Hardware

Discussions and informations about the various incarnations of the renesas tablet.
If you happens to be brave like Roman after having some vodka, please report what ICs (wlan, sound, ...) are built-in your specific device. Let's get under the hood of this thing and find out in which way other than the cases they do really differ. This information is vital for yourself to avoid firmware releases, which are not intended or compatible for your device. You would do the community and yourself a great favour.

There are currently known of four distinguishable devices on the market right now. [source: 99pad.com -> gTranslate]

EDIT 110710: As Jacob11 pointed out: The distinct features sketched out below for the four generations of the device is not complete! They rather can be scrambled up in many ways. So please just take it only as a rule of thumb. The only firm identification you can make about a device in question is to identify it by its built-in hardware components.

EDIT 110713: Further interesting rumors regarding the various versions found on 99pad-forum [gTranslate].
If I read it right, the "old" version (file name: a3-sdboot-2ddr.rar) has 2xDDR2 and the "new" version (file name: a3-4ddr-sdboot.rar) has 4xDDR2. Both are incompatible with each other regarding the firmware releases states the source. They use different bootloaders to flash the firmware.

EDIT 110715: Identifying tablet variations by kernel version number. [source: 99pad -> gTranslate]
Go to Settings->About Device-> "kernel version ???" and check, if "???" stands for ...
  1. 1-999 : "old" aka first generation (V1)
  2. 1001-9999 : "new" aka third generation (V3) ;3G supported without calling function
  3. >10001 : "new" aka ??? ;3G supported with calling function
As you can see, the source classifies the tablets only in two categories (new vs old).
Somebody with a V2 version please report back, which kernel version they have on their device.

Conclusion
: This identification scheme seems to be most reliable at first glance. But if you or your seller had "forced" an update onto the device with a firmware version, which was not intended for, than you only have the option to fallback to the other methods. So remember to take a note about your android kernel version before going straightforward for a first firmware update.

Main specifications

========================================
CPU:
NEC Renesas EMMA V2 Dual-Core 2x533MHz (ARM Cortex A9 / ARMv7)
L1 cache 32KByte, L2 cache 256KByte
GPU: PowerVR SGX530
RAM: 512MB DDR-2
Display: 7 inch; 800x480 capacitive dual touch
HDD: 4GB (eMMC flash)
Wireless: WiFi 802.11 b/g/(n); Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
SDCard/TF: supports up to 32GB (SDHC)
Ports: 1xMINI USB2.0, 1xHDMI, 1xDC-in jack, 1x3.5mm stereo jack, 1xTF/SD card slot
Buttons: 1xPower, 1xVolume+/Volume-, 1xReset
Webcamera: 1.3M
Battery: 3.7V 3400mAh 12.58Wh
AC Adapter: AC Input 100-240V~50/60Hz:DC Output 5V/2A
Size: 196x120x14 mm
Weight: About 610g

Internal hardware (source:Gudini)
========================================
CPU: D77643F1, 1107KU602
RAM: HY5PS1G831C 4x128MB DDR2
Display : INNOLUX AT070TN90
HDD : SanDisk SDiN4C1-4G (eMMC iNAND)
Wireless: 850111 BM-01-A 476; USI WM+BN+01 - BROADCOM 4329 (Wifi, BT, FM?) ->NOVO8?
Audio: Realtek ALC5621 ->MID816?
USB: GENESYS GL850A - USB 2.0 HUB
HDMI: ITE IT6610FN Single Link HDMI Transmitter (HDMI 1.2, HDCP 1.1 compatible)
Power: AXP192 (Enhanced single Cell Li-Battery and Power System Management IC)

?display controller? -> tango m48 - pix98748nQ - tach control
?G-Sensor?
?webcam?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
one of Romans device
Lovely pics... but I bite my nails...

EDIT: You wouldn't happen to know of a version of the Magic Tab WITHOUT the 3G and GPS would you? I.E. just the nicer screen and better build quality? Also... NICE compilation! Simplifies things for us all immensely!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just to confuse things my tablet doesn't have the dock, no gps or 3g but does have two speakers and vibrator. It also has a piece of foam where the sim slot would be, which I haven't seen in any of the pics so far.

I'll open it again sometime and post some pics.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Jacob11
Interesting!
Please pass the infos about the built-in chips or even better: Zoom in while you're doing the shots.

@Roman
No, I didn't come across such a device yet.

But I hear you're currently looking for a device to add to your portfolio?
Don't give up on the ZT-280 so early. Just monitor the thread over there. Currently I think, if you can cut a deal by assuring with your retailer for a "F" version, than this little thing should sell well by the decent spec and price range. To be safe, just hold still for a while and lookout for user eperiences and reviews. And if I remember it correctly, ATP also mentioned about them intending to release the whole palette(7-10inch).
Generally I would advice you to set your eyes on the Amlogic platform. Why? Take a look at this. Yup ... Gingerbread by factory!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Roman

Forgot to ask. You're dealing with a bunch of dealers right? Can you please ask, if they happens to have their hands on or know someone might have the source code somewhere? Just drop in the topic casually while you're at one of those negotiations.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
@Roman

Forgot to ask. You're dealing with a bunch of dealers right? Can you please ask, if they happens to have their hands on or know someone might have the source code somewhere? Just drop in the topic casually while you're at one of those negotiations.
I will ask my primary supplier. I would think, however, that Haipad would be the best place to approach about this. They seem to be the main supplier/manufacturer that is doing firmware development.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be awesome!
I already have some headache figuring out, how to boot the system from the external sdcard. If the sixteen possible combinations of the four given buttons don't do the trick, than there is no way around than to look into the source.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Jacob11
Interesting!
Please pass the infos about the built-in chips or even better: Zoom in while you're doing the shots.
Here you go, the case is the same as Romans but without the dock connector. If you can't read the info on the chips let me know and I'll have a look at the original pics.

One odd thing I have noticed is it doesn't seem to output stereo with the built in speakers but that's most likely a software thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the pics. Luckily Gudini already has gathered some infos. I added few details to it.
Regarding your device version: I think it is V2. The board does not match with V1 and V3 interiors (your board is equipped with 4x128MB DDR2). Check if your display also has this larger frame.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Roman, I messaged you via Slatedroid about the Rena 3 and a possible purchase. please let me know what you think.

Cheers

Minibeats

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Luckily Gudini already has gathered some infos. I added few details to it.
Regarding your device version: I think it is V2. The board does not match with V1 and V3 interiors (your board is equipped with 4x128MB DDR2). Check if your display also has this larger frame.
That's the thing, it has the original frame. Do we have any internal pics of the V2 or V3 devices?

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Indeed ... a hybrid!

Have a look at the V1 and V3 boards above for two example pics of the used boards (maybe...).
So we can't classify the models by their case and specs alone. The built-in components may varify. This would explains, why the "Haipad M9" firmware is not compatible with some renesas tablets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The higher res display on the V4 makes me think that I must have a V2 in a less common case but we'll need more info on the V2 to be sure.

Who knows I might have some version in between V1/V2/V3.

·
Registered
144 Posts
@Jacob
Did you try the 0701 update? If you succeeded, than it is a V3 than.

For your curiosity: Mine has the same board layout than yours (4xRAM chips) but with the V3 case. Did several shots, but the text imprints were not readable because of the reflections of the camera flash. Will try it again with better lighting and no cam flash, after making some software tests.

@Martin
Do you mean soldering it onto the board?
I've not seen the internal board of a version with GPS built-in yet. But I guess it will be either
  1. built in a new unknown wireless IC or
  2. implemented on a discrete IC or
  3. connected internally to the USB-hub
But we have to wait until it is confirmed and some genuine hardware modders come up with a tutorial.

For me a hardware mod is out of question. For this purpose I'll use a bluetooth mouse instead. I have an old one here lying around. Will try to pair it with the tablet and see, if I can set it up to deliver data to one of the offline navigation apps.

EDIT: It works!
  • GPS mouse: iBT
  • GPS bluetooth enabler app: "Bluetooth GPS" v0.7.0
  • quick test App: "Phone Tester" v1.67
  • navigation App: Sygic 11.0.2

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Jacob
Did you try the 0701 update? If you succeeded, than it is a V3 than.

For your curiosity: Mine has the same board layout than yours (4xRAM chips) but with the V3 case. Did several shots, but the text imprints were not readable because of the reflections of the camera flash. Will try it again with better lighting and no cam flash, after making some software tests.
I haven't tried it yet, I've just got my tablet set up they way I like it

I know what you mean about the imprints, it took me about 10 goes to get my pics.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts