Android Tablets Forum banner

Battery replacement guide?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rayner Lucas 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,
I just ordered a new battery through Ownta:
http://www.ownta.com/index.php
for my Aurora II and was wondering if anyone might know where I can get some kind of guide or instructions for taking the tab apart and accessing the battery.

The stock battery repeatedly fails at keeping any kind of substantial charge.
I have to give this a shot, hate seeing this great little tablet disabled like this.

Thanks for any help!

-Bill
Grand Junction, Colorado , USA

#2 ·
Taking it apart is the hardest bit. You'll need to get a thin tool between the edge of the glass and the plastic back, possibly using a fingernail to pry it apart enough to get the tool in. I used a very thin knife, but I wouldn't recommend that because (1) I chipped the glass slightly and (2) I bent the tip of the knife. Plastic tools for prying cases open exist, and I've heard of people using a guitar plectrum.

Once you've got a tool in, work your way around the edge of the screen. The back clips into place, and you need to pop those clips open. Having more than one tool is handy, because that way you can stop one bit of the case clipping back together while you work on the next bit. It gets easier once you've got one or two corners done.

When you're in, things should be clearer. There's a big silver battery with two wires connecting it to the main board. The battery is glued to the back of the screen, but it should come off with some gentle prying (careful here, you don't want to crack the screen by accident). Then you should just need to de-solder the two battery wires from the main board and solder the new battery on instead. Be really careful that the new battery is connected the right way round (red wire to the + terminal, which is helpfully marked on the circuit board) and that there isn't any stray solder connecting the two terminals together.

Stick the battery into place with a piece of double-sided sticky tape. You might want to try charging the tablet before clipping the case back together, just to make sure it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.