Photo

Tether your Android tablet with your mobile phone (by alessio2)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 alessio2

alessio2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

This is a simple and effective way to do this without any connection to PC and shell programming. Tutorial is done with Zenithink ZT-180 Android 2.1 tablet and Nokia E66 phone as AdHoc AP, using JoikuSpot tethering program.Should work with other AdHoc access points.(Successfully tested on Motorola Milestone with Android 2.1 and Barnacle tethering app)You need a rooted tablet and Root Explorer app. No need to adb connect your tablet with PC. All is done from the tablet!------------------------- START ---------------------------------- Install Universal Androot, root your device and reboot- Install Root Explorer (You need “Open in Text edit” option on long-pressing files. RootExplorer 2.10.3 has this option)- Make sure to allow Root Explorer superuser rights!- In Root Explorer click on mount r/w button- Go to /data/misc/wifi folder (you can add a bookmark to this folder for later fast access - long-press on folder)- Create a copy of wpa_supplicant.conf and name it wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc- Open wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc in text editor (long press - scroll down - “Open in Text Edit”)- Configure your AdHoc access point wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc (remove all other networks):wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc should look like this:
ctr_interface=ra0update_config=0ap_scan=2network={ssid=”YOUR-AP-SSID-HERE”scan_ssid=1mode=1key_mgmt=NONE}
- Now you should have:
  • wpa_supplicant.conf (original file with all saved networks)
  • wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc (adhoc file with tethering AP configuration)
- Rename wpa_supplicant.conf to wpa_supplicant.conf.orig- Rename wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc to wpa_supplicant.conf- Go to Settings - Wireless & networks and turn OFF and back ON your WiFi- That’s it! ------------------------- END ---------------------------------It should now connect to your tethering device without any shell programming and permission/ownership settings. No need to edit RT2870STA.dat file.Just toggle back the original wpa_supplicant.conf file and rename current to wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc when you don't need adhoc tethering connection any more.I hope you find it useful ;)Ales

#2 dangerdave

dangerdave

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

Problem is, I don't have a keyboard available and cannot edit the text in wpa_supplicant when using "Open as text". Any ideas?

#3 jtbnet

jtbnet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

[quote name='dangerdave;87045]Problem is' date=' I don't have a keyboard available and cannot edit the text in wpa_supplicant when using "Open as text". Any ideas?[/QUOTE'] You can do it all from PC via ADB... just more manual steps to remount RW, copy file to PC to edit and put back and copy needs to be done via sdcard as adb push/pull still not working... EDIT... I take it back... adb push/pull is FIXED on the 1030 firmware... YEAH!!!!

#4 mysticav

mysticav

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

For me it was also necessary to change ownership:# chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.confOtherwise, after turning it off, it won't turn on back again.

#5 dangerdave

dangerdave

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Managed to edit the file on the tablet (after finally getting adb to work, d'oh). Just had to update root explorer.Problem is now, I just get "Unable to start Wi-Fi" when I re-enable it.Any ideas?EDIT: cheers mysticav, I can enable the wifi now.However, now I get an error in WiFi Settings - "Unable to scan for networks"...?EDIT2: Worlking!!! I followed the instructions here: odroid.foros-phpbb.com/odroid-t-discussion-f3/ad-hoc-wifi-networking-is-now-working-t268.htmThe trick was to edit /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf as in the guide (pretty much as above). Then DELETE /data/misc/wif/wpa_supplicant.conf, since it is auto generated anyway when you enable wifi - seems to be just a direct copy of the /etc/wifi version. Awesome!
  • ikraut likes this

#6 thecsource

thecsource

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

maybe I'm missing something? Isn't it easier to use wireless tether the app instead of barnicle on a rooted android phone. Worked for me without going through all these steps. Just a thought.

#7 rubensano

rubensano

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:27 AM

maybe I'm missing something? Isn't it easier to use wireless tether the app instead of barnicle on a rooted android phone. Worked for me without going through all these steps. Just a thought.

Hi, I wonder the same. It worked direct and perfekt with wireless to my HTC Desire.Br,Michael

#8 fungucul

fungucul

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:10 AM

Thanks you for post. Of cause we can use connecting via Wi-Fi, but more natural and lower resource costing will be with bluetooth. The Big question is HOW ? ))

#9 dangerdave

dangerdave

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

[quote name='rubensano;87396]Hi' date=' I wonder the same. It worked direct and perfekt with wireless to my HTC Desire.Br,Michael[/QUOTE'] I'm not sure what you guys are saying? You mean you could start Wireless Tether on your phone and pick up that wifi network on your tablet without any messing around?I certainly couldn't with my G1 running Wireless Tether. With the above modifications I can now find the G1's wifi hotspot and use it to access the web over the 3G connection.

#10 Skatespeare

Skatespeare

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

But do I understand correctly that I have to edit the conf-file everytime I want to switch to a different wifi-network? When I'm away I want to use the ad hoc from my phone, but I also want to connect to my regular wifi when I'm at home or near a regular wifi network.

#11 dangerdave

dangerdave

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

[quote name='Skatespeare;87500]But do I understand correctly that I have to edit the conf-file everytime I want to switch to a different wifi-network? When I'm away I want to use the ad hoc from my phone' date=' but I also want to connect to my regular wifi when I'm at home or near a regular wifi network.[/QUOTE']Apparently so, though I've not tested it to see if it still picks up other wifi networks.It's not a big problem anyway, you just have to make a copy of the original conf file, then swap out your edited version with the original. With root explorer it's a 1 minute job.

#12 jtbnet

jtbnet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

[quote name='Skatespeare;87500]But do I understand correctly that I have to edit the conf-file everytime I want to switch to a different wifi-network? When I'm away I want to use the ad hoc from my phone' date=' but I also want to connect to my regular wifi when I'm at home or near a regular wifi network.[/QUOTE'] Check my original Adhoc thread and the first post is updated with the complete example showing 2 home nets I use and 1 Adhoc for my Moto Droid tether... by setting update_config=0 in both files these 3 networks will always be 'remembered' when traveling it will still scan and find new local nets but will not save or overwrite the original 3 hard coded... so edit files once including all your Normal nets and let it discover new ones as needed and only if you want to save one of those lesser used nets permanently then you would edit the files and add that one too...

#13 atif7865

atif7865

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hi alessio2 ,I was wondering if this would work with iphone. Can i get my 3g network on iphone to be shared over the wifi with my zt-180? do i have to do any configs on my iphone to do so?Thanks a bundle in advance

#14 thecsource

thecsource

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

I'm not sure what you guys are saying? You mean you could start Wireless Tether on your phone and pick up that wifi network on your tablet without any messing around?I certainly couldn't with my G1 running Wireless Tether. With the above modifications I can now find the G1's wifi hotspot and use it to access the web over the 3G connection.

You have to find the right version for your device. I tried 3 or 4 different versions before I got I found 2.05-pre9 worked on my Evo. Heres the link to their sight: code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/. hope that helps. sorry I can't post the full link since I'm new here, just put www in front of it.

#15 rubensano

rubensano

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:15 AM

I'm not sure what you guys are saying? You mean you could start Wireless Tether on your phone and pick up that wifi network on your tablet without any messing around?I certainly couldn't with my G1 running Wireless Tether. With the above modifications I can now find the G1's wifi hotspot and use it to access the web over the 3G connection.

Yes, I was able to connect to my HTC Desire as a accesspoint (WiFi)Br,Michael

#16 thecsource

thecsource

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

[quote name='rubensano;88893]Yes' date=' I was able to connect to my HTC Desire as a accesspoint (WiFi)[/QUOTE']Using which method?

#17 blkfin

blkfin

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

This worked like a charm on my Droid.ThanksJim

#18 Dvalin21

Dvalin21

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:33 PM

Has anyone tried to RDP or VPN while using your android phone for internet purposes?

#19 alessio2

alessio2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:48 AM

Hi all,I was away for a few days and I'm glad that some of you find it useful.Please try to keep this thread clean. @Dvalin21: Tethering with android tablet has nothing to do with RDP via VPN. You should ask this somewhere else or create a new thread.This thread is a guide how to tether your phone with ZT-180 tablet without using the PC connection which I find much easier to do for anybody. This way you can be anywhere and do this job just using your tablet. To tether with adb via USB to PC connection use jtbnet's thread, but I didn't liked this way so much, because update_config is set to 0, which means that new APs are not saved in tablet when you connect to them. Thanks to jtbnet though. Your thread helped me understand the concept and write this guide.@atif7865: Yes, you can tether your android tablet with iPhone too. It should work without a problem. Write here to confirm this device working.@rubensano: Please, share with us, if you made it working without using any of this modifications. If AP is in Infrastructure mode than android phone/tablet can scan it, if it's in Adhoc mode than it's invisible to android. That's why the "ap_scan=2" modification is needed.

#20 jtbnet

jtbnet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

without using the PC connection[/B] which I find much easier to do for anybody. This way you can be anywhere and do this job just using your tablet. To tether with adb via USB to PC connection use jtbnet's thread, but I didn't liked this way so much, because update_config is set to 0, which means that new APs are not saved in tablet when you connect to them. Thanks to jtbnet though. Your thread helped me understand the concept and write this guide....

Actually My thread started and is for the identical things as your's, as I've never tried using the USB tethering... I do know how to BT tether but as ZT-180 doesn't support BT for net that couldn't be used, and would be slower anyway.... your thread just starts out with a bit more knowledge of what works than mine did as I was learning how the wpa_supplicant functionality interfaced with the device along the way... but I would expect my updated OP in that thread's example should work with local user tuning for SSID and WEP key etc... for anyone at this point... to WIFI tether to pretty much anything either Adhoc or Infrastructure and allow switching back and forth without needing to edit files each time...