Photo

SQUARE for Android. Credit Card Reader APP w/ hardware FREE!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cyclejerk

cyclejerk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

Has anyone had the opportunity to download and use this app? I would like to have it but do not have a market account. This free device and app allow ANYONE to receive payment via credit card. They charge you a 3 to 4% processing fee for each swipe. I have a small business and I could use this daily!Square: Android app by Square, Inc. on doubleTwist Android MarketIf anyone knows how to get this without having market I'd love to know how. Thanks

#2 jackbox

jackbox

Banned Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

Why don't you have a Market account? All you need to do is sign up with Google. In fact you can sign up in the Market app itself if you don't already have a Google account. I can try to grab it in the the ADK Emulator and extract it for you. But getting a Google account is easy and free.Edit: Here you go the apk file is attached. All you needed to do was Google for a download of it. That's all I did. Google is easy and is your friend.BTW. The program seems to be a bit touchy. It refused to install on my Android 2.1 phone.

#3 pforhan

pforhan

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

I know one of the Square Developers, and told him it doesn't show up on the market. He said he'd look into it. They're pretty big in the iphone and ipad space right now, and with a PD's resistive large screen, it would be nice for signatures.I thought I read here somewhere, however, that the WPDN didn't have a microphone connected into the headphone jack... I'll have to try it out. Without that, you'd be stuck keying in each card number, and you wouldn't get the %discount by having the card swiped.Rate info (sorry, can't post links yet): support.squareup.com/entries/160793-frequently-asked-questions-faq#card-fees

2.75% + 15¢ for swiped transactions3.5% + 15¢ for keyed-in transactions

#4 rokky

rokky

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

[quote name='pforhan;82254]I know one of the Square Developers' date=' and told him it doesn't show up on the market. He said he'd look into it. They're pretty big in the iphone and ipad space right now, and with a PD's resistive large screen, it would be nice for signatures.I thought I read here somewhere, however, that the WPDN didn't have a microphone connected into the headphone jack... I'll have to try it out. Without that, you'd be stuck keying in each card number, and you wouldn't get the %discount by having the card swiped.Rate info (sorry, can't post links yet): support.squareup.com/entries/160793-frequently-asked-questions-faq#card-fees[/QUOTE'] Just theoretically, I am wondering off the top of my head how this product will take any input on the PDN aside from your manual typing (onscreen)? It has no host USB ability, bluetooth, camera, sound input, or any other direct way I can think of. I suspect this needs one of those missing methods which are common on Android phones and iPhones (which of those does iPad have?).

#5 antikook

antikook

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

How about WiFi?There used to be SD-card adapters for devices that could be used for input, I used a GPS add-on for a PDA about 4 years ago that plugged in via the SD slot.You could conceivably build the card reader to act as the USB host, so the PDN would be the device to which the reader "pushes" the data.I think the iPad may have BlueTooth as well as WiFi. It also has the standard iPod connector, for which some peripheral devices are made.da 'Kook!

#6 pforhan

pforhan

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

The APK attached to this thread didn't work for me. However, the application now shows up in the PDN's market (I'm running the 9/23 stock +GE + extra firmware bit by Roebeet)

#7 pierut

pierut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

I have 2 of their card readers.. It is a simple device. It is a head from a cassette player attached to a mic plug.. That's it. It turns the magnetic stripe into audio which is then translated to the card information.. It works surprisingly well on iOS.

#8 zrbarnes

zrbarnes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:07 AM

I have 2 of their card readers.. It is a simple device. It is a head from a cassette player attached to a mic plug.. That's it. It turns the magnetic stripe into audio which is then translated to the card information.. It works surprisingly well on iOS.

Ha! Awesome. Never thought about it, but that would totally work.

#9 pierut

pierut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:24 AM

Ya.. Pretty simple and effective.. There is a similar device for using a phone or PDA as an IR blaster.. Both the transmitter and receiver are just IR LEDs attached to a headphone and mic plug... Hit record on the receiver end then press a button on the remote you want to emulate... Then play back the audio on the phone while the transmitter is plugged in the headphone jack... I'll make one eventually!

#10 pierut

pierut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

I decided to make an ir blaster... It works rather well.