Android Tablets Forum banner

TimelessV88 Edition 2 (RC1)

56K views 180 replies 56 participants last post by  PseudonymSA 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
FOR BLUETOOTH VERSION ONLY! RKBATCHTOOL V1.6 INCLUDED, NO VIRUS UNLIKE SOME V1.7

TimelessV88 E2 coming soon?

NEW INFORMATION: Guys, I'm planning to implement some sort of donator's section. Slatedroid said that I can offer donators small perks as long as the Roms are identical. Donators will gain access to my CWM-Flashable versions of my TimelessV88 Series. Non-donators will not be disadvantaged in any way as they still get to use my TimelessV88 Series which is identical. Both the CWM version and RKBatchtool versions of my TimelessV88 are identical. Only difference is the method of deployment. Donator's status will be awarded to users whom have donated an amount that is not too shabby but doesn't have to be too grand. Donators will gain access to my current form of CWM-zips for TimelessV88indefinitely. Once again Donation is entirely optional, both donators and non-donators will end up with identical copies of my TimelessV88.

The process of becoming a validated donator is as follows. Donate, PM me with email. I'll add you to a donator list and PM you with the download link. This download link is for you and you only. No sharing or creating mirrors would be allowed. In the event of a single breach, I will be terminating CWM-zips for TimelessV88. There will be a zero-tolerance policy.

If you have donated to me in the past, PM me with your paypal user and I'll communicate with you for further instructions

CWM versus RKBatchTool
  1. RKBatchTool ERASES all information on your tablet due to the method of flashing
  2. CWM allows you to keep previous files and settings.
  3. While RK3188 chips are generally "unbrickable" it's usually a hassle to "unbrick" your tablet
  4. When using RKBatchTool, if you accidentally unplug the tablet mid-flash or if there's a power outage, you most likely will brick your tablet
  5. CWM is a much much much safer way of flashing new rom, it's 99.99% un-interrupt-able.
  6. RKBatchTool is a hassle, drivers issue and what nots
  7. It is possible to flash my new CWM roms directly without using a PC (download and flash directly using tablet)
  8. If something goes wrong, flash my CWM rom again
  9. Updates using my CWM roms will preserve all existing data on your tablet.
  10. Simply put, CWM is the epitome for android flashing

This is going to be the place where you can obtain a copy of my TimelessV88 roms.

TimelessV88 roms are meant to be lightweight, fast and functional. Anything fanciful that would contribute to bloat will not be added.

TimelessV88 roms are also tailored to the Chuwi V88. I personally maintain this rom for this device and this device only. This means there will be dedicated support for this device using this rom.

Note: TimelessV88 Roms have been tested to work and has been hosed down with bug spray. It still may have bugs though. please check post 2 to see if the bug has been listed before posting. Also, please be aware that I don't give a rat's behind about antutu or other benchmark scores. My emphasis is on real life performance rather than benchmarks. If you wish to ask about antutu or others, please create a separate thread.

CWM versus RKBatchTool
  1. While RK3188 chips are generally "unbrickable" it's usually a hassle to "unbrick" your tablet
  2. When using RKBatchTool, if you accidentally unplug the tablet mid-flash or if there's a power outage, you most likely will brick your tablet
  3. CWM is a much much much safer way of flashing new rom, it's 99.99% un-interrupt-able.
  4. RKBatchTool is a hassle, drivers issue and what nots
  5. RKBatchTool ERASES all information on your tablet due to the method of flashing
  6. CWM does not do so.
  7. It is possible to flash my new CWM roms directly without using a PC (download and flash directly using tablet)
  8. If something goes wrong, flash my CWM rom again
  9. Updates using my CWM roms will preserve all existing data on your tablet.
  10. Simply put, CWM is the epitome for android flashing

Features
  • Root disabled by default. (Can be enabled via "Root Enabler download link below")
  • Debloated of all unnecessary apps
  • Zipaligned to optimise ram usage
  • Build.prop mod to Samsung Galaxy S3 for greater PlayStore compatibility (pretty much complete playstore)
  • Build.prop tweaks for increased speed and battery life (This was difficult to implement into the rom image itself, initial modifications resulted in wifi breaking)
  • Disabled the weird Chuwi bootanimation for faster boot up
  • init.d support

Tools

Rom Downloads

Instructions on how to flash
  1. WARNING: Flashing this repack will wipe your device including the internal SD card (aka Internal Storage), Strongly recommended that you remove external SD card
  2. Download my RkBatchTool v1.6
  3. Connect Chuwi V88 to PC (if PC does not detect download and install drivers from the tools section of this post)
  4. Select the repack image in RkBatchTool
  5. Press Switch
  6. Wait till the pink box turns green
  7. Press upgrade
  8. Wait till its done
  9. First boot might take a little longer than expected
  10. Once booted, the tablet will lag for a while as it is still initializing
  11. Done!
  12. If you require root, run EnableRoot.bat from the TimelessV88RootEnabler after you have flashed the rom. (P.S, Ensure that USB Debugging is turned on in Settings>Developers Options AND if your computer does not detect, download the ADB drivers)
  13. Most important final step... Donate me a couple of beers

Footnote
Any issues with my roms please post in this tread and I will do my best to help. However, anything benchmark related will not be entertained.

If you like what I've done consider donating a beer! It'll encourage me to keep up my good work!
Link's in my Signature

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Changelog

As a rule of thumb, it's always worth upgrading TimelessV88 roms. I do not post unnecessary updates. If there is an updated TimelessV88 Rom, it means there are enough substantial changes for me to release one. I do not release 10 roms a week, it's pointless its a hassle. I release only when there is a proper need to.

TimelessV88 Edition 2 RC1
  • 1st August Base
  • 2nd release of TimelessV88 roms
  • Restored bootanimation
  • Officially using RK3188 SDK2.0 (better GPU performance, better battery idle drain, reduced lag etc)
  • Multi-windows (check settings on how to use)
  • Standard TimelessV88 Rom Tweaks

TimelessV88 Edition 1
  • 20th July Base (improved stability, reduced freezes, updated to android 4.2
  • 1st release of TimelessV88 roms
  • Tweaks to improve battery life
  • Removed bootanimation
  • Zipaligned for ram optimisation

FAQ
Q: Help! I flashed this rom and when I reboot the screen is blank!
A: Yes, this is normal, this is because the boot animation is disabled which leads to the tablet booting up faster. Press the power button and it should wake

#4 ·
No brick problems at all!

Download the rom and follow the instructions! Everything you need is in the download package.

If you need further help, post them here and I'll see how I can help.

#10 ·
thats my guess as well ... i tried downloading other camera apps but they all don't work ... my only fear is that it happened last week when i dropped my tablet (it fell of 80cm height, the top hit the floor when it was in its sleeve case ) im afraid something popped out though i dont think it did ... should i try to open the back cover and have a look at the board and connectors ?

#11 ·
ROM installed uneventfully and is running well. RKBatch Tool is our friend.

I gladly donated but I have a couple of things I'd like to see:

1) Option for tablet UI. I just don't like the teeny tiny notification bar at the top and I can't find a way to remove the Google search bar. Also I'm a big fan of wallpaper and I like being able to swipe to one of my unused home screens and see the image without any icons.

2) I added a bootanimation.zip I like to the system/media folder but no dice. I don't really like a completely blank screen for most of the boot process.

Looking forward to the next version and best of luck with your exams!

Ron

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
1) As for the tablet UI option, I'm still considering about adding it but right now I am leaning towards staying with this "Phablet" UI. The reason to this is rather simply too. If you do a search online regarding the future of Android Tablets, you will realise that this is how Google will be designing their tablets from now onwards. Hence, for the sake of consistency, it is highly likely that I would be staying with this "Phablet UI". Also, it would make it much more difficult for me to maintain a secondary Tablet UI rom as there are several under the hood tweaks and changes that I would then have to apply to the Tablet UI rom and this would increase the developmental time for TimelessV88 edition roms.

What I could do is to implement some sort of donators-only rom so that they could have TabletUI. But I'll have to go through the proper channels on Slatedroid to see if this is allowed.

2)Yeah, that is because I did not just simply delete the bootanimation.zip to disable the boot animation. For the next edition, I'll see what lightweight bootanimation I can whip up. To restate the purpose of the TimelessV88 Edition roms, it's meant to be fast and functional. I will never include a fanciful bootanimation but I might include a simple bootanimation.

Thanks for you support!

UPDATES: Updated main post of features, forgotten to mention that I have added init.d into Edition 1

#14 ·
That's good to know.

In my opinion the battery standby drain is significantly lower. I think, can't really remember how it was previously but it seems pretty good now.

Can anyone confirm this?

#16 ·
#19 ·
Nope. Are you sure it's just the wallpaper and not the screen?

Sometimes when flashing roms the screen gets wonky and you have to do a "restore" instead of "upgrade"

#32 ·
The reversed volume buttons is not a bug and hence won't be fixed. It's a design flaw, Chuwi had designed the tablet to be upside down for some reason. I'll look into changing the volume buttons though but no promises.

Do you have usb debugging turned on? I've been extensively reflashing this rom before releasing it so I know the root tool works.

#34 ·
can anybody please help me with my camera issue? i keep getting "unfortunately gallery has stopped" , the gallery works but camera doesn't neither of them , i downloaded camera apps and they all either force closed or say "camera was not found" of "gallery has stopped"

i did "fix premmisions" and i did full system format reset dalvik cache etc and reinstalled roms "original, oma, timeless" all of them say the same thing ! what do i do HELP ?!!!

#41 ·
Nice, glad you are enjoying this rom. If you could, a donation would be nice. It would show me that the users of this rom appreciate my work and encourage me to keep up the good work.

(Not to mention it would spur me to continue of my secret project for the ChuwiV88. *Hint* something to do with the kernel)

#43 ·
seems like my first suspicion and lambstone you said it in your last replay that i actually was a hardware problem, it only needed to be soldiered properly because when it fell the camera got separated from the board... anyway i sorted it out without needing to send it to china and back which would have taken me about a month and a half
... so took me about two hours till i figured it out

so if anyone is facing the same problem with some components not responding do check the hardware if its out of place because the soldiering of all the components in most chinese products is done poorly .

#45 ·
You're welcome.

SDK2.0 will be incorporated into Edition 2. No ETAs as of now.

HDMI issues is a physical flaw with the design. Unless you can obtain a HDMI cable with a longer pin, it will be flaky and prone to disconnections.

Only known workaround is to use HDMI without the metal back which is lame.

#48 ·
Yes, the whole point of using S3 as a basis for playstore recognition is such that the games you download are configured for the mali GPU.

I used to use Nexus7 in the build.prop but some users reported games having issue with the Mali GPU.

Unfortunately, using a Tablet config would result in diminished market compatibility.

#51 ·
Yeah, it is less than ideal. Galaxy Tab 7.7 by default doesn't have a great selection. "Apps not compatible" apparently.

Until otherwise proven, it'll stay spoofing as SGS3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.