• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 HotShotAzn

HotShotAzn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

here[/URL], ran the manager.The USB driver doesn't already come with it, select the USB Driver Pack, deselect the other Android stuff unless you're planning on development. After the USB driver downloads, go to your device manager, you should see Android Eclair in the list, right click on it and Update Driver, select Browse for Driver, select Let Me Pick, click Have Disk, go to the SDK folder then the USB driver folder, select the android_winusb.inf file, select the Android Composite ADB Interface, now the device is recognized as Android Phone. Open a command prompt and go to the ADB folder, type adb devices and it should find the device and start the daemon.Now I'm figuring out what to do from here. How do I get it back into FWDN mode? From what I've read, some do a complete wipe, and with the device completely wiped it will start in that mode automatically.Heh, FWDN mode is bootloader mode. It's adb reboot-bootloader. Now I'm off to flashin' again.

Thanks for the short tut, will try tonight.Can you let me know which ROM this is when you get it loaded? 354 or 71?

#42 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

will do.i posted the info in the X5A/G11 section under it's own thread.... hoping some rom makers will have a look.Im waiting for the fellow who is going to host the rom to come on so i can send it to him.jim

#43 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

XPAD-701 ROM DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE --- and New Store Sectionhttp://www.slatedroi...ing-please.html

#44 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

FROM USER- PLASMADIS (he got the unit to Flash !) Quoting:Woo-hoo, I did it! My device is back in action. Here's what happened:Moved NAND flash from the main folder into the folder with FWDN, so they're all together. Started up FWDN, dragged the three files over, the lk.rom, tcc8900, and the NAND flash. Plugged in the device, got "device init", selected "debug level" format as per the instructions, and away I flashed.Then nothing. It's stuck. The progress bar doesn't move. So I wait awhile, still nothing. I unplug the device and reset. I try to power it up. It's totally dead! The LED lights up when I press the button, but it won't turn on! I'm trippin. Is it bricked? Well, I plug it it again. Thank God FWDN detects it, and starts the process again. Now this time the "I love you" image that other people have on their devices comes on instead of "MID". Dunno why some are complaining about this image, I think it's pretty cool.So I try flashing again, this time I select "low level format" instead of "debug level", maybe that's why it froze. Sure enough, now the flashing begins. But wait, now it flashes red saying the NAND flash is wrong and stops the flash! Crap.So I try it again, this time I take off the NAND flash. Now the flash continues, and goes all the way, I get a green screen and it says it's complete. I unplug the device and reset.I turn it on, and woooo, my device is back to life! But it's all in CHINESE! Ahahah! You need to do the calibration, skip through the Google stuff, and go into the settings and figure out where the languages are, and change it to English. I did, it's a lot of fun. Hah!So far, so good. Only issues: I was not able to get into "tools" in FWDN to change the MAC address, "tools" wouldn't let me select it, so I dunno how Market will be. Also without the NAND flash, we can't access our 4 GB of internal memory, but it was that way before anyway. People were saying that there's a bug in our firmwares that won't let us see all the memory, and we'll have to wait for a new firmware to get it fixed.

#45 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Getting nowhere so far won't even show up on pc

#46 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

@ Hotshot & DK ---- use my BUYaDROID@gmail.com email and give me a clear point by point list of exactly what happened and what you tried to do to fix so I can send to the Supplier's tech.Remember, Keep It Simple and clear (grin)Already told them general probs... one PC won't recognize the PC, and the other is stuck in Loop

#47 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

@ Hotshot & DK ---- use my BUYaDROID@gmail.com email and give me a clear point by point list of exactly what happened and what you tried to do to fix so I can send to the Supplier's tech.Remember, Keep It Simple and clear (grin)Already told them general probs... one PC won't recognize the PC, and the other is stuck in Loop

#48 plasmadis

plasmadis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

First off, USB. There are two different USB drivers for our device, one is more ADB mode, or controlling the device with ADB, and FWDN (or bootloader) mode, to flash the device.The ADB drivers are in the Android development kit from Google, get it here. There's nothing to install, just a folder, put it on your desktop. Then launch the Manager in the dev kit folder, uncheck the other Android stuff, then tell it to download the USB Driver Pack.Then with your device plugged in, go to the Device Manager in your computer, and you should see Android Eclair, this is your device without a driver. Right click on it, select update driver, tell it you'll find the driver on your own, then that you have your own disk, the point it to the USB driver in the dev kit folder. Select Android Composite Device, and now your phone shows up as Android phone in the Device Manager.Now open a command prompt, go into the folder where ADB is, and type "adb devices", it should find the device. Then you can issue commands like "adb reboot" to reboot it, or "adb reboot-bootloader" to reboot it and put it into bootloader mode, where it's ready to be flashed.Now for the flashing part. The supplier's instructions are pretty much wrong, ignore them.In the supplier's files, go into the driver folder and install the driver. This is the driver for FWDN mode as opposed to ADB mode.Make sure your device is plugged into AC power. To flash our device, press and hold the MENU button, then press and hold the power button. Hold them down for about 6 seconds, then let go, and it you did it right the screen will stay stuck on "MID". Now you are ready to flash.Launch the FWDN app in the supplier's files. Then plug your device into USB. Windows should install the Telechips driver, and the FWDN app should see the device and go "device init". You're almost there.Put lk.rom, tcc8900, and NAND data into the same folder with the FWDN app. Drag these into the FWDN app. Then uncheck the NAND data file, we are not going to flash this (as there is an issue with our device and NAND data that will hopefully be fixed in a future firmware). Select low level format, not debug level that moron, and then flash. Note: I was not able to change the MAC address, so Market will no longer work.*cough*screwthemarketjustgoogletheapksevenpaidonesandyoullfindthemsomewhere*cough*After it's done, your device should now start up with an artistic "I love you" screen instead of "MID".If you think it's stuck after you start flashing (the progress bar doesn't move), wait about a minute, and then unplug the device and hit reset on it. When you plug it back in it should start the process over. Our device has a unique feature where if the bootloader gets hosed, it will automatically put itself into bootloader mode.If you were in my situation where the touchscreen doesn't register, and you can't get into bootloader mode through the button pressing method, do it with adb with "adb reboot-bootloader".If everything worked, I highly suggest you root your device. First, get the rooting files you need provided by Asure here. All you need are the files called "su" and "Superuser.apk", don't worry about the other stuff. Put them in the same folder as ADB.Then, I've confirmed the following directions from mingnon work:

I have used the following on both x5a and m701download Asure's X5A files, copied the su and Superuser to directoryconnected via adb and used the following commandsadb push su /system/bin/adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/suadb push Superuser.apk /system/app/adb shell reboot

Then with your device rebooted, go into your apps and run the Superuser app. This will enable you to do all sorts of neat things. The main thing we need to do with our devices it get rid of the damn big icons!Go to this thread, and download the LCD Density Changer mingnon has provided. This app needs the device to be rooted to work. Run it, change the density to 160, and let it reboot. Give it Superuser permission when it asks.When you start it up again, oh man, it's like a whole new tablet. You'll have more space on your screen, a thinner taskbar that more stuff fits onto, longer menus, and more space for apps that use text, like IRC (internet chat), IM's, and word processors.Whew, that's it for now. Let me know if any of this helps.

#49 silverc32

silverc32

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

Well guys maybe someone can help me out.. I have tried to connect the XPAD 701 with 4 different computers 2 runing xp and 2 running vista.. And it cannot be done successfully for some reason... Now on another sidenote, i was browsing the browser not doing much then all of the sudden it gave me a error message FORCE CLOSE and it says sorry the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. please try again.. so i press force close and this message keeps popping up everytime.. so i rebooted many times and it sstill does the same thing.. So i guess it is frozen and can't access anything... PLEASE NOTE, i did not flash anything /ROMS etc.. just installed few games couple days ago and also the youtube apk that wasn't on mine.. Maybe Jim can help.. thanks...Will

#50 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationSamut Prakarn (Thailand)

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:28 AM

AFAIK with that error message there is only one way: RE-FLASH!After reflashing is done, don't forget to enable USB debugging for to be able to use the cable connection to your PC!

#51 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:02 AM

@ Hotshot & Silver..... See Plasmadis' HOW-TO Above...Now in the ROM section !!!http://www.slatedroi....html#post73219

#52 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:23 AM

here[/URL]. There's nothing to install, just a folder, put it on your desktop. Then launch the Manager in the dev kit folder, uncheck the other Android stuff, then tell it to download the USB Driver Pack.Then with your device plugged in, go to the Device Manager in your computer, and you should see Android Eclair, this is your device without a driver. Right click on it, select update driver, tell it you'll find the driver on your own, then that you have your own disk, the point it to the USB driver in the dev kit folder. Select Android Composite Device, and now your phone shows up as Android phone in the Device Manager.Now open a command prompt, go into the folder where ADB is, and type "adb devices", it should find the device. Then you can issue commands like "adb reboot" to reboot it, or "adb reboot-bootloader" to reboot it and put it into bootloader mode, where it's ready to be flashed.Now for the flashing part. The supplier's instructions are pretty much wrong, ignore them.In the supplier's files, go into the driver folder and install the driver. This is the driver for FWDN mode as opposed to ADB mode.Make sure your device is plugged into AC power. To flash our device, press and hold the MENU button, then press and hold the power button. Hold them down for about 6 seconds, then let go, and it you did it right the screen will stay stuck on "MID". Now you are ready to flash.Launch the FWDN app in the supplier's files. Then plug your device into USB. Windows should install the Telechips driver, and the FWDN app should see the device and go "device init". You're almost there.Put lk.rom, tcc8900, and NAND data into the same folder with the FWDN app. Drag these into the FWDN app. Then uncheck the NAND data file, we are not going to flash this (as there is an issue with our device and NAND data that will hopefully be fixed in a future firmware). Select low level format, not debug level that moron, and then flash. Note: I was not able to change the MAC address, so Market will no longer work.*cough*screwthemarketjustgoogletheapksevenpaidonesandyoullfindthemsomewhere*cough*After it's done, your device should now start up with an artistic "I love you" screen instead of "MID".If you think it's stuck after you start flashing (the progress bar doesn't move), wait about a minute, and then unplug the device and hit reset on it. When you plug it back in it should start the process over. Our device has a unique feature where if the bootloader gets hosed, it will automatically put itself into bootloader mode.If you were in my situation where the touchscreen doesn't register, and you can't get into bootloader mode through the button pressing method, do it with adb with "adb reboot-bootloader".If everything worked, I highly suggest you root your device. First, get the rooting files you need provided by Asure here. All you need are the files called "su" and "Superuser.apk", don't worry about the other stuff. Put them in the same folder as ADB.Then, I've confirmed the following directions from mingnon work:Then with your device rebooted, go into your apps and run the Superuser app. This will enable you to do all sorts of neat things. The main thing we need to do with our devices it get rid of the damn big icons!Go to this thread, and download the LCD Density Changer mingnon has provided. This app needs the device to be rooted to work. Run it, change the density to 160, and let it reboot. Give it Superuser permission when it asks.When you start it up again, oh man, it's like a whole new tablet. You'll have more space on your screen, a thinner taskbar that more stuff fits onto, longer menus, and more space for apps that use text, like IRC (internet chat), IM's, and word processors.Whew, that's it for now. Let me know if any of this helps.

Flashed yeah stuck at I love you screen. How long did it take first time?

#53 plasmadis

plasmadis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:34 AM

Stuck at "I love you" means it's in bootloader mode. Have FWDN open, plug it into USB, and it should say "device init". Does it do that?

#54 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:58 AM

Plasmadis your the man!!!!!! What a convoluted firmware flash. Eken was a lot easier. Getting ready to try the icon shrink. Hey I had to burn twice. First time stuck at I love you screen. Burned again and after brushing up on my Chinese managed to change it to english. Thanks again and to you as well Jim. Now a night of reloading apps etc.

#55 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:11 AM

USB' date=' Flashing, Rooting[/U'] First off, USB. There are two different USB drivers for our device, one is more ADB mode, or controlling the device with ADB, and FWDN (or bootloader) mode, to flash the device. The ADB drivers are in the Android development kit from Google, get it here. There's nothing to install, just a folder, put it on your desktop. Then launch the Manager in the dev kit folder, uncheck the other Android stuff, then tell it to download the USB Driver Pack. Then with your device plugged in, go to the Device Manager in your computer, and you should see Android Eclair, this is your device without a driver. Right click on it, select update driver, tell it you'll find the driver on your own, then that you have your own disk, the point it to the USB driver in the dev kit folder. Select Android Composite Device, and now your phone shows up as Android phone in the Device Manager. Now open a command prompt, go into the folder where ADB is, and type "adb devices", it should find the device. Then you can issue commands like "adb reboot" to reboot it, or "adb reboot-bootloader" to reboot it and put it into bootloader mode, where it's ready to be flashed. Now for the flashing part. The supplier's instructions are pretty much wrong, ignore them. In the supplier's files, go into the driver folder and install the driver. This is the driver for FWDN mode as opposed to ADB mode. Make sure your device is plugged into AC power. To flash our device, press and hold the MENU button, then press and hold the power button. Hold them down for about 6 seconds, then let go, and it you did it right the screen will stay stuck on "MID". Now you are ready to flash. Launch the FWDN app in the supplier's files. Then plug your device into USB. Windows should install the Telechips driver, and the FWDN app should see the device and go "device init". You're almost there. Put lk.rom, tcc8900, and NAND data into the same folder with the FWDN app. Drag these into the FWDN app. Then uncheck the NAND data file, we are not going to flash this (as there is an issue with our device and NAND data that will hopefully be fixed in a future firmware). Select low level format, not debug level that moron, and then flash. Note: I was not able to change the MAC address, so Market will no longer work. *cough*screwthemarketjustgoogletheapksevenpaidones andyoullfindthemsomewhere*cough* After it's done, your device should now start up with an artistic "I love you" screen instead of "MID". If you think it's stuck after you start flashing (the progress bar doesn't move), wait about a minute, and then unplug the device and hit reset on it. When you plug it back in it should start the process over. Our device has a unique feature where if the bootloader gets hosed, it will automatically put itself into bootloader mode. If you were in my situation where the touchscreen doesn't register, and you can't get into bootloader mode through the button pressing method, do it with adb with "adb reboot-bootloader". If everything worked, I highly suggest you root your device. First, get the rooting files you need provided by Asure here. All you need are the files called "su" and "Superuser.apk", don't worry about the other stuff. Put them in the same folder as ADB. Then, I've confirmed the following directions from mingnon work: I have used the following on both x5a and m701 download Asure's X5A files, copied the su and Superuser to directory connected via adb and used the following commands adb push su /system/bin/ adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/ adb shell reboot Then with your device rebooted, go into your apps and run the Superuser app. This will enable you to do all sorts of neat things. The main thing we need to do with our devices it get rid of the damn big icons! Go to this thread, and download the LCD Density Changer mingnon has provided. This app needs the device to be rooted to work. Run it, change the density to 160, and let it reboot. Give it Superuser permission when it asks. When you start it up again, oh man, it's like a whole new tablet. You'll have more space on your screen, a thinner taskbar that more stuff fits onto, longer menus, and more space for apps that use text, like IRC (internet chat), IM's, and word processors.

plasmadis i cant seem to get the links to work for the files i need a link to superuser and su that i can click. thanks man your help saved my brick. you are the man.

#56 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:26 AM

My market works as well after the flash

#57 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:44 AM

It's workingHad to re burn All up and running and market even worksNow to root and shrinks this screenThanks so much for ur help. U saved my brick And Jim was awesome too.

#58 plasmadis

plasmadis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Awesome, glad to hear you got it working. The link works for me, the file is root_setcpu_X5A_v2.zip. Unzip the folder, you'll find the files under "system" and then "app" and "xbin". Take them out and put them into your ADB folder. Ignore the other files.

#59 HotShotAzn

HotShotAzn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Wow, I come back from my trip and we have our own section for the Xpad.So I take it ROM 71 is the latest? Ok, i guess I'll stay on my current ROM. I'll root tonight and let you guys know how that goes. Can't wait to get a new ROM on here. Actually, I'd like to get rid of the splash screen. Try explaining that one to people when you boot it up for them.

#60 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Yeah I could lose the I love u