Android for ARM WM8505 SMARTBOOK

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dormantroot

dormantroot

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

Folks,I want to upgrade Android OS from 1.5 to later version. I was able to successfully install Android 1.5 (script I used: http://orca.st.usm.e...5-Smartbook.zip) on my 7'' inch smartbook (YouTube - How to install Android to 7" Mini Notebook). Everything is working perfectly (WiFi etc) (but don't have the market place app).However, I would like to upgrade to a later version of Android. Can someone guide me in the right direction?thanks,dorman

#2 kiarov

kiarov

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

Maybe you could install one of the eken m001 or flytouch rom. Since both also have arm5 WM8505 processors. But i'm just guessing.Note: Try to copy the drivers from your smartbook to it if something doesn't go ok. (once again guessing).

#3 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

[quote name='kiarov;71327]Maybe you could install one of the eken m001 or flytouch rom. Since both also have arm5 WM8505 processors. But i'm just guessing.Note: Try to copy the drivers from your smartbook to it if something doesn't go ok. (once again guessing).[/QUOTE] [COLOR=darkred]Don't try this. The Rom is for the same CPU but might have different srceen rez' date=' usb drivers,wi/fi driver, etc. 99.9% chance it won't work.[/COLOR']

#4 Roger Calver

Roger Calver

Firmware Dev

• Global Moderators
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

I agree with Morgith here, the scripts for the tablets are only for them and not to be install on different tablets let alone netbooks, for example the ASUS EEEpc uses a NAND which is removable and in theory the flashing could kill/corrupt it.There are x86 version of Android around and also look at the laptop area.[COLOR=red]Do not flash your netbook !

#5 dormantroot

dormantroot

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

[quote name='Roger Calver;71403]I agree with Morgith here' date=' the scripts for the tablets are only for them and not to be install on different tablets let alone netbooks, for example the ASUS EEEpc uses a NAND which is removable and in theory the flashing could kill/corrupt it.There are x86 version of Android around and also look at the laptop area.Do not flash your netbook ![/QUOTE] So Roger, what option(s) do I have? I don't want to throw away the $100.00 7'' smartbook which I got from ###########. Initially it had Win CE and machine was useless. After installing Android that thing has changed into a roaring lion!! Please help me with your advice.thanksdorman

#6 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:23 PM

1. Try this forum Android x86 [Netbooks]2. found this for version 1.6 on x86 Downloads ( 1.6 is not bad can have market)3. 2.1 is being worked on but not in general release yet.

#7 Laco

Laco

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

1. Try this forum Android x86 [Netbooks]2. found this for version 1.6 on x86 Downloads ( 1.6 is not bad can have market)3. 2.1 is being worked on but not in general release yet.

He has a Smartbook, an ARM Based machine not a netbook, an x86 machine. So the Android x86 will not work. ;(

#8 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

Oopps. Well useful links for other with x86 stuff.

#9 Roger Calver

Roger Calver

Firmware Dev

• Global Moderators
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

Can you gives us some details likes a link to the smartbook ?, this would help in identifying what you could upgrade with.There are some of the linux distro's now with ARM versions which you could try, also you could try Meego as thats a multi processor OS IIRC.

#10 dormantroot

dormantroot

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

[quote name='Roger Calver;71844]Can you gives us some details likes a link to the smartbook ?' date=' this would help in identifying what you could upgrade with.There are some of the linux distro's now with ARM versions which you could try, also you could try Meego as thats a multi processor OS IIRC.[/QUOTE']Roger,Here's a detailed description of the machine (http://www.eglobalwi...dows-black.aspxPerformance Processor Type: WMT ARM-WM8505 CPU Processor Clock Speed: 300M MHz Processor/Manufacturer: WM Processor Model: VIA-ARM VT8500 RAM/Technology: DRAM RAM Installed Size: 128 MB Display Diagonal Size: 7" TFT HD Max Resolution: 800x480 Display Technology: TFT Graphics Type: Integrated GraphicsStorage and ExpansionHard Drive Type: NAND Fast Flash Hard Drive Capacity: 2GB Hard Drive Spindle Speed: NAND Fast Flash PCMCIA Expansion: 1x SDCard slotInput/Output ConnectorsPorts: 3x USB 2.0, 1x SDCard slot, 1ÎRJ45 Audio/Video: Integrated Quadraphonic Speakers,1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Headphone/Line-Out,1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Microphone, Input 1x Integrated MicrophoneCommunicationsNetworking/Data Link Protocol: Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g Wireless Connection: Wifi Wireless Protocol: 802.11 a/b/gGeneralProduct Type: Netbook Model: 901 Operating System: WinCE Pointing Device: TrackPad Battery: 1800mAH smart lithium-ion battery Power Device Type: AC Dimensions: W*D*H 212mmx142mmx28mm Net Weight: 0.65kgAlso..Roger...I do have a question about the files I got from here (http://orca.st.usm.e...5-Smartbook.zip how did they do it? I mean, Android 1.5 works perfectly on my machine (except for the Market Place App). Can I tweak that code and make Android 1.6 or later to work on my machine? If so, can you direct me in the right direction?Roger..thank you soo much for your help!dorman

#11 thcrw739

thcrw739

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSLC

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

I've the same type of smart/netbook except it came with android 1.5. I know a 1.6 version exist somewhere as ive seen a few Chinese site advertise it with 1.6 as well as the $99 augen netbook at kmart comes with 1.6 as well, but i have yet to find a download anywhere, and ive been looking quite a wile.I've flashed the various m001 avalible as it works exactly the same, but the biggest issue seems when you unplug the power with a m001 rom, The netbook turns off, i'm sure there might be other issues, but thats the main one i've found.I also tried to change the drivers and other various things in the folders of the 2 restore images (the netbooks 1.5 restore and the m001 restore) to try to get the m001 restore to work on the netbook properly, that didnt work either.

#12 dormantroot

dormantroot

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

[quote name='thcrw739;72176]I've the same type of smart/netbook except it came with android 1.5. I know a 1.6 version exist somewhere as ive seen a few Chinese site advertise it with 1.6 as well as the $99 augen netbook at kmart comes with 1.6 as well' date=' but i have yet to find a download anywhere, and ive been looking quite a wile.I've flashed the various m001 avalible as it works exactly the same, but the biggest issue seems when you unplug the power with a m001 rom, The netbook turns off, i'm sure there might be other issues, but thats the main one i've found.I also tried to change the drivers and other various things in the folders of the 2 restore images (the netbooks 1.5 restore and the m001 restore) to try to get the m001 restore to work on the netbook properly, that didnt work either.[/QUOTE'] Is this the version of Android you have?Version of Andriod installed on my machine:Model Number : genericFirmware version : 1.6Kernel version : 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirtysimenxie@Szmce01 (MontaVistaBuild number : 1.5.2

#13 aletech

aletech

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

[quote name='thcrw739;72176]I've the same type of smart/netbook except it came with android 1.5. I know a 1.6 version exist somewhere as ive seen a few Chinese site advertise it with 1.6 as well as the $99 augen netbook at kmart comes with 1.6 as well' date=' but i have yet to find a download anywhere, and ive been looking quite a wile.I've flashed the various m001 avalible as it works exactly the same, but the biggest issue seems when you unplug the power with a m001 rom, The netbook turns off, i'm sure there might be other issues, but thats the main one i've found.I also tried to change the drivers and other various things in the folders of the 2 restore images (the netbooks 1.5 restore and the m001 restore) to try to get the m001 restore to work on the netbook properly, that didnt work either.[/QUOTE'] Same problem... my version is:Model Number : genericFirmware version : 1.6Build number : 1.7.4The problem is hw differences from M001 (I think). The tablet has a chip for the touch screen, which also includes more sophisticated power monitoring and control. The netbook's comparable chip only has plugged in/on battery/low battery support. So the stock Slatedroid thinks that the battery is completely drained when you unplug the device and shuts down. The possible fix is in init.rc