• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yomike

yomike

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:37 AM

I have fitted an external RP-SMA connector to the M002 to allow connection of an external wifi antenna to improve wifi performance.The results were pleasing with a great improvement in performance with the external antenna fitted and no loss of performance without it.Using WiFi Analyser, I get between 15 and 20dB improvement as indicated by the analyser. Further testing will be required to determine if this is in both directions (transmit and receive).The AW-NU129 wifi module has provision for a "2nd" antenna connection. This is a concentric circular pad on the pcb as indicated in photo. I thought this may take a U.FL SMD connector but could not resolve fitting (may take some other connector but soldering will be a challenge) so decided to solder coax direct to the pad points.I purchased a 100mm (4") RP-SMA to U.FL cable from SparkFun for the job. (UF.L cut off in the end)The thickness (thinness in fact) of the M002 is a real challenge for fitting and there is little room for the coax and connector.I ground down 2 faces of the SMA connector hexagonal head to reduce its profile size. Hole drilled in side of case and connector epoxied into please. USB cables for wifi and camera rerouted as required and all round a lot of mucking around for best fit.It all sort of fits although the screen doesn't sit quite as flat and low as it should!As indicated in my disassembly post, I had repositioned the wifi board previously.The M002 doesn't like being worked too much, with the battery connector on the pcb coming off and one of the screen backlight wires breaking, which meant diassembling the screen to fix!Luckily it is all back together and working and will hopefully hang together!!

#2 Ekengeek

Ekengeek

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:21 AM

Well done! could you post a pic of the m002 put together with the antenna on?

#3 MetalDeep

MetalDeep

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

It Looks Sure Nice, pls make a picture

#4 yomike

yomike

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hopefully can get a picture up soon, but have the device disassembled at the moment, as it has a battery charging problem/fault which I am hoping to fix.

#5 burnutec

burnutec

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Hi all , im new to this froum , and have an eken m002 also , so im interested on the wifi modding too.
Anyone has any idea is that wl-294 module usb or serial interface?
It has realtek 8188 cus chip on it.
i would like to see the results too.
Any way anyone has any idea to how to kae custom rom ? To include new wifi driver only.
Thanks.