#1 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

This device has quickly become one of my favorites. In my review I tried to address some of the comments regarding screen brightness (which I have actually found to be significantly good compared to most China tabs?) and brought up a few other "cons" that I really had to scratch for.

Personally I think this is one of the best tablets available out of China at the moment, hands-down, so you kind of already know it is going to be a positive review :).

Anyhow, you can catch it here: http://www.topnotcht...o-m8-pro-review

Regards,

Roman

Edited by Roman2025, 12 May 2013 - 11:08 AM.

www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#2 robertnl

robertnl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Had one delivered on the stock firmware and the brightness was quite low. But now after a update it seems more bright. Good enough to read outside but not like my Nexus 10 yet.
Only problem so far with my unit would be the battery indicator that is not going above 76-78%.

For the rest i must agree with you, one of the best tablets i had so far (with the new chipset) in performance and looks.

Maybe you should take a small look at the camera. Altho its not ment for a tablet to use it as a Camera after having a lot of devices i found them quite "good" ;)

Edited by robertnl, 12 May 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#3 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Roman. In a separate thread, you mentioned changes made to the UI; bloatware; adding this and that ..plus upgrades. You spoke of a slow initial boot after the modding.

Do you do all these things to each M8 Pro shipped out from TNT?

This will be my next tab as soon as monies are deposited back in Paypal for a returned Ramos W42.

I too think the 9.4" is the perfect size. Looking forward to getting one that works.

Thanks

Edited by BamaPanda, 12 May 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#4 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Roman. In a separate thread, you mentioned changes made to the UI; bloatware; adding this and that ..plus upgrades. You spoke of a slow initial boot after the modding.

Do you do all these things to each M8 Pro shipped out from TNT?

This will be my next tab as soon as monies are deposited back in Paypal for a returned Ramos W42.

I too think the 9.4" is the perfect size. Looking forward to getting one that works.

Thanks

I am running TNT Modded firmware now and boot times are quick and everything is very responsive. I also loaded our firmware with the stock android 4.1 launcher and it runs very nicely. PiPo's launcher was actually pretty interesting but there were some annoying things about it that made me decide to kick it to the curb (like the flashing home key at the bottom middle).

Anyhow, every unit from TNT comes with a North American quality check and it also comes prepped by us so you should have the same experience as my current unit.

Ironically I think my ideal tab would actually be a Ramos W42 because I kind of prefer the Exynos 4412 chipset. What made you send it back? I think you might have mentioned to me somewhere else that you had major screen banding or something?

Kind Regards,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#5 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Had one delivered on the stock firmware and the brightness was quite low. But now after a update it seems more bright. Good enough to read outside but not like my Nexus 10 yet.
Only problem so far with my unit would be the battery indicator that is not going above 76-78%.

For the rest i must agree with you, one of the best tablets i had so far (with the new chipset) in performance and looks.

Maybe you should take a small look at the camera. Altho its not ment for a tablet to use it as a Camera after having a lot of devices i found them quite "good" ;)

I will 1 up that :). The rear camera is actually quite decent :). It isn't something I would rely on for taking photos but for quick shots of this or that it isn't bad at all. A lot of China tab cameras are nothing short of useless and the M8 Pro camera is quite good by comparison.

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#6 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

I need to see what the current firmware release is. I built our custom stuff on stock 05/02 firmware I think? (maybe it was 04/20?)

Edited by Roman2025, 12 May 2013 - 04:38 PM.

-Ayn Rand

#7 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

I am running TNT Modded firmware now and boot times are quick and everything is very responsive. I also loaded our firmware with the stock android 4.1 launcher and it runs very nicely. PiPo's launcher was actually pretty interesting but there were some annoying things about it that made me decide to kick it to the curb (like the flashing home key at the bottom middle).

Anyhow, every unit from TNT comes with a North American quality check and it also comes prepped by us so you should have the same experience as my current unit.

Ironically I think my ideal tab would actually be a Ramos W42 because I kind of prefer the Exynos 4412 chipset. What made you send it back? I think you might have mentioned to me somewhere else that you had major screen banding or something?

Kind Regards,

Roman

The W42 worked fine for about a week or so, but then stopped charging. I had an extra charger that I knew was good ...no difference.

The banding was there, but it was only on certain utility type apps ..nothing that really mattered to me.

Thanks for getting back with the info.

Edited by BamaPanda, 12 May 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#8 de-loused

de-loused

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Ok, totally convinced! I'm heading to the M8pro. Too bad though Roman that you have not an EU based shop. Having read your previous reviews i was waiting for your opinion about the screen quality and it seems that it's excellent.

Thanx a lot for your review!

#9 beardedwonder

beardedwonder

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Ok, totally convinced! I'm heading to the M8pro. Too bad though Roman that you have not an EU based shop. Having read your previous reviews i was waiting for your opinion about the screen quality and it seems that it's excellent.

Thanx a lot for your review!

I think it looks like the tablet to have at the moment, I wish there was a more reliable way to get these tablets in Europe. Was sort of hoping Sumvision might rebadge the M8 like they've done with the M9.

Edited by beardedwonder, 12 May 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#10 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Ironically I think my ideal tab would actually be a Ramos W42 because I kind of prefer the Exynos 4412 chipset.

Roman

I noted on your site that Exynos are coming. Which one/ones ...how long?

Really like the new website! Posted Image

Edit with observation.

Just thinking of the difference between tab makers and their propensity to provide updates in a timely manner.

Using Ramos and Pipo as examples, it is obvious that Pipo is way more prone to quickly update & upgrade, yet Ramos is considered better at QC by many.

Pretty neat that Roman and TNT are there to provide custom made roms and tweaks for different chipsets. It will be interesting to see what comes out of TNT on Exynos in the future.

With the aggravation of buying a bad tab here and there from China, and not really that proficient at modding ..it is good to have an option to buy a well put together Android tab at a relatively lower cost ...compared to the OEMs.

Thanks, TNT.

Edited by BamaPanda, 13 May 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#11 andywheels

andywheels

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

Another thorough and well written review there Roman. Thanks! :drinks:

I thought I should mention that you have a broken link on the http://www.topnotcht...s.com/buy_m8pro page from the top-notch site.

The link to the review on the buy page gives a 404 as it points to the rockchipfirmware site instead of the topnotch one --- http://www.rockchipf...o-m8-pro-review is the bad link.

Oh, and whilst I'm here.. Does anyone know of a uk seller for the M8 pro?

Edited by andywheels, 15 May 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#12 beardedwonder

beardedwonder

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Oh, and whilst I'm here.. Does anyone know of a uk seller for the M8 pro?

Would love this as well, but it doesn't look like there's anything out there. As I said in a previous post, it would be great if Sumvision did a rebrand of the M8 like the M9.

#13 AC Slater

AC Slater

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

I always buy directly from China.
Either from Tmall.com using an agent, from AliExpress or some webshop (tip: search thru webshops using chinaprices.us , for example: buyincoins or banggood, you can even apply a discountcoupon).

Guarantee and delivery wise of course it would be more convenient to get it from your own whereabouts, but consider the fact that the reseller has to calculate that in as well, so with service costs and profit margin the price will go up quite a bit compared to getting it yourself. And there's only a slight risk something's wrong with your unit and having to send it back. Personally haven't ever have to do so.

So not having a reseller in your country, to me, doesn't sound like a dealbreaker at all?
MyTablets: PiPO Max-M8 Pro & M7 Pro 3G | Ainol Novo7 Elf II (cracked screen), Fire & Novo10 Hero II (dead) | Archos 101IT G8 (weird lines on screen)
MySmartphones: Jiayu G4T Adv | FAEA F2 | Neomobile N002 (N02-M)
MyAndroidTV: MINIX NEO X5 | Mele F10
MyGaming devices: Archos GamePad | OUYA
Previously owned: Jiayu G2 & G3 | Neomobile N003 | HTC Desire Z | FNF ifive X2 | Ainol Novo7 Aurora II | Hyundai A7HD
Proud other gear: ASUS N56VZ laptop | Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 & LX-7 camera's | Earson ER-151 BT speaker | Brainwavz HM9 headphone | BOSE QC15
Soon: -
Interested in: powerful tablets (8.9"/9.4") & smartphones (≤ 5.0")
My blogposts:
Buying from Taobao / Tmall (directly from manufacturers, thru an agent) <<

#14 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Either from Tmall.com using an agent, from AliExpress or some webshop (tip: search thru webshops using chinaprices.us , for example: buyincoins or banggood, you can even apply a discountcoupon).

Guarantee and delivery wise of course it would be more convenient to get it from your own whereabouts, but consider the fact that the reseller has to calculate that in as well, so with service costs and profit margin the price will go up quite a bit compared to getting it yourself. And there's only a slight risk something's wrong with your unit and having to send it back. Personally haven't ever have to do so.

So not having a reseller in your country, to me, doesn't sound like a dealbreaker at all?

Maybe it is just the luck of the draw for me, but I have sent back three tabs ...with mixed results. One was actually stolen en-route back to China, so it was a total loss of well over 200.00.

Actually I did not expect the last one to give an issue ..the Ramo W42, but it did. What can I say? It is in route back to Lightake as I type.

I have been very prone to ignore suppliers like TNT, as I was more interested in cost. But then I began to realize I was actually looking for a quality, well outfitted Android tab for less money than an OEM. I was not looking for the cheapest tab, but a better one.

When I factor in I do not want the OEMs 10.1", 7" and 8" sizes, it became increasingly clear that a good supplier like TNT might be the answer. The 9.7" and newer 9.4" are surely my cup of tea.

I surely have spent enough on postage and losses to make the extra 40.00 or so a viable option.

Posted Image

#15 andywheels

andywheels

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Just as an example, I think the difference now is round about £40 between buying the m9 from China (Ali Express Eternal used as reference) or buying a Sumvision branded version from Ebuyer (which is now down to £200). It's probably more if you go the Tmall route with an agent.

So it's £40 for the knowledge of easy returns and a year warranty. Some would say that's too much but I'm not sure I want the stress of buying from China right now. :unsure: If you get hit by customs the costs start to get closer and the thought of having to return a tablet to China fills me with fear.

I'm really surprised that the M8 pro can't be sourced yet in the UK. Even when it does appear it'll be limited in number. The big online shops are really missing a trick at the moment.

Edited by andywheels, 15 May 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#16 BamaPanda

BamaPanda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

I find it interesting how many fans the 9 4" size has garnered in such a short period.
It is Sony's brainchild ...of course, but one I never paid much attention to till Ramos and Pipo went with the format.
Now to see if any of the other China tab makers will follow what looks to be an increasingly popular size and design.
;)

#17 gavin007

gavin007

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

Guys

Have a look at Amazon .co.uk
They stock the pipo's
Just waiting for the M6 :)

War

Edited by gavin007, 25 May 2013 - 02:09 AM.

#18 UzalaThorn

UzalaThorn

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

Have you managed to solve the problem with battery indicator? Mine is stuck at 83%.

#19 ZonderZout

ZonderZout

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

First of all, I'd like to thank Roman2025 for the great review, which convinced me to buy the Pipo M8 Pro tablet. Got it about 10 days now and I'm loving it! Super responsive, great screen, nice build quality, comes complete with all cables like USB, OTG, etc and battery life is good enough to watch like a whole season of your favorite TV series :)

@UzalaThorn:
There are some fixes for the battery status problem on the Pipo website, like the latest firmware upgrade (Android 4.2.2!). Look here: Official Pipo website English Firmware.
But I'd definately recommend installing Roman2025's custom cooked ROM. You can find that here on the forum: http://www.slatedroi...ware-release-1/

Though still based on Android 4.1.1, it's cleaned up really nicely.

#20 ZonderZout

ZonderZout

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Another question;

I bought a leather keyboard case to go with it, but that turns out to be great for 10" tablets, but not so much for the 9.4" Pipo M8 Pro... The elastic strap on the right is just a little too far out, so the tablet falls out of the case when you pick it up with the wrong side up. :blink:
It's like the standard Chinese brandless keyboard case, this one:
Posted Image
(but mine has regular QWERTY and MicroUSB).

Basically, this one is crap with 9.4" tablets. Great for 10" though.

So I'm looking for a nice case, preferably with keyboard, but primarily to just protect the M8 Pro from my clumsiness.
Best I could find is this one: Leather case for Pipo M8

I was hoping some of you might have a recommendation as to which case to choose.
And if you know any case with 9.4" and keyboard, that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.