• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 for_ale

for_ale

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

I've found this. http://www.rockchipf...re.com/node/159
It's a slightly modified firmware based on the may release.
Ciao

#22 st8

st8

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

I've found this. http://www.rockchipf...re.com/node/159
It's a slightly modified firmware based on the may release.
Ciao

I updated to the stock May firmware, but for me, the bluetooth keyboard, which works beautifully with all my other android devices, will still not stay connected.
Does this firmware improve the bluetooth any?
thanks

#23 RugaL

RugaL

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the tutorial! I'll do it when the tablet arrives! ;)

#24 rhkik

rhkik

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hi all !

I have a chuwi V88 and I'm experiencing some problems :
- as some others, volume button is inverted
- the task switcher trumbnails appear inverted (upside down)
- some stability issues

I wanted to root and flash my tablet but I don't succeed.

I don't succeed to install the rockchip drivers : i tried different tutorials, but it allways fail.

I'm running on W8 I stop the driver signature verification.

Any idea on how to proceed ?
Should I keep my tablet on debugging mode ?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

#25 Gahrgamel

Gahrgamel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hey there natbyte, thank you for an excellent guide to flashing the tablet. I am using it to flash the TNT ROM found in the ROM section of the forums.
Even though you are really detailed in the guide, I'm still having troubles completing it. I'm afraid that I even can't move forward from step one in your guide. :mellow::

The problem I'm experiencing is that I'm not able to install the drivers found in the RKBatchTool folder (I've tried both the drivers from 1.6 and 1.7).
When connecting the tablet to Windows XP (running in VirtualBox) new hardware is detected and Windows asks for the drivers. I navigate through the menus until I find "Have disk..." and from there navigate to "usb drivers -> x86 -> xp -> rockusb.inf".
Doing this though only gives me a dialog box telling me

The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.

The only time I got Windows accepting the driver was connecting the tablet to my machine through USB while it was in an OFF state, while holding the volume rocker down. That gave me a new device that accepted the driver, but after the driver install Windows informed me that there was a problem with the driver and the device had a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager. After doing this maneuver the device also wouldn't turn on for a while and I thought I had bricked it. Thankfully it booted after a while unaffected.

So, can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is it because I'm using VirtualBox? I have successfully flashed my Sony Xperia phone through VB before, so I feel like it would be possible with this tablet also.

Thank you for reading my wall of text. I hope somebody could tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Greetings from Sweden! :)

EDIT:
I've been searching around for my problem and found many guides pointing out that you should place your device in recovery mode to be able to install drivers and flash it. To do that you need to press the reset-button together with the volume rocker while the device is turned off.
Does this apply for our tablet as well? Is the reset button the small hole between the headphone socket and SD-card slot?

Edited by Gahrgamel, 22 May 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#26 abubin

abubin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

is the rkbatchtool detecting the tablet when you plug it in (with it still powered)? If yes then you can try plug in the device. Close the part where it ask for driver. Then press switch in rkbatchtool. This will switch the tablet into flash mode. This is when windows will ask for drivers (if you haven't installed it already). Now try to install the drivers. Goodluck.

#27 abubin

abubin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

The Batch tool linked from your guide has a nasty virus in it.

My avast also detected the rktool 1.7 to have virus. I also thought it is a false alarm. So I disabled my avast for 1 hour and did the update and so on.

However, since today I get alert from avast saying my dllhost.exe file and others are infected with some win32:vitro virus. Apparently this virus is very hard to clean. I am currently looking for ways to clean my system without resorting to a full format.

I just want to warn everyone about the possibility that the chinese website that packed this package might made a mistake or something accidental.

I am not saying concrete that a virus is there but I am usually very careful with alert and installing stuffs. There were no other alert I have for the past few days.

Just be careful guys.

edit: I am still running various vitro/virut cleaning tools. I can confirm that the rkbatchtool 1.7 downloaded from natbyte's site contain the virus win32/vitro aka virut.

Edited by abubin, 23 May 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#28 Gahrgamel

Gahrgamel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

is the rkbatchtool detecting the tablet when you plug it in (with it still powered)? If yes then you can try plug in the device. Close the part where it ask for driver. Then press switch in rkbatchtool. This will switch the tablet into flash mode. This is when windows will ask for drivers (if you haven't installed it already). Now try to install the drivers. Goodluck.

Thank you for your clarification. After doing what you recommended the flashing procedure finished without any problems. I'm a happy camper!

This success story also tells others that it's possible to flash your device from Linux using Windows XP installed in VirtualBox.

#29 natbyte

natbyte

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Latest firmware build dated 25th May 2013, uploaded and ready for download. I have only just flashed this so have not had a chance to fully test the fixes Chuwi added. See here: Latest Chuwi V88 firmware

Edited by smithmal, 29 May 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#30 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Latest firmware build dated 25th May 2013, uploaded and ready for download. I have only just flashed this so have not had a chance to fully test the fixes Chuwi added. See here: Latest Chuwi V88 firmware

Natbyte,

Thanks for hosting. Please report back and let us know if known issues of the 5/09 firmware (backwards sound toggle switch and inverted "Recent Apps" mini windows).

The changelog is interesting as neither one of these issues are mentioned however others (which I wasn't aware of as issues) are. Most interesting is the "Optimized for lower power usage." Maybe Chuwi built in a CPU governor?

smithmal

Edited by smithmal, 29 May 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#31 lambstone

lambstone

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

Natbyte,

Thanks for hosting. Please report back and let us know if known issues of the 5/05 firmware (backwards sound toggle switch and inverted "Recent Apps" mini windows).

The changelog is interesting as neither one of these issues are mentioned however others (which I wasn't aware of as issues) are. Most interesting is the "Optimized for lower power usage." Maybe Chuwi built in a CPU governor?

smithmal

Well, I got the touch screen freeze issue on multiple occasions.

#32 castro67

castro67

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

I noticed this also, got a warning from my virusscanner, though this happens also when downloading Z4 root.
i used RKbatchtool v1.6, which works fine.

Hello, I tried to do the upgrade but when I get to step 6 and I press Switch the tablet turns off

Attached Files

#33 janesh

janesh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationthe netherlands

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

That's right, your tablet is now ready to upgrade, with the right firmware loaded and the color of number 'one' has changed from pink to green.
I do not see this in your pic, so this means you have not installed the right drivers in your computer.
You can check this in the device manager.
I use windows 7 with my RK3188 devices, until now i could not do this with windows 8, though I did it hundreds of times with my RK3066 devices with all windows releases till XP.

I just upgraded my Chuwi V88 to the newest firmware, after that i fixed the market to get more compatible apps as below.

Fix market to get more compatible apps after rooting your device. I did it with ZhuoDaShi.

Download needed XML files here.

I used 'root browser' from the Google playstore to copy the below mentioned extracted XML files to /system/etc/permissions

Change permission on XML files in list below to rw-r-r (long tap on each file and select permission)
android.hardware.location.gps.xml
android.hardware.location.xml
com.android.location.provider.xml
tablet_core_hardware.xml

Go to settings > apps > all and tap google Play Store
Click on Clear Data
Reboot Tablet

After this it was done for me.

Troubleshooting market did not change.

Go to settings > apps > all
go to Google Play Store
Force Stop
Clear cache
go to Google service framework
Force stop
Clear data
reboot

If market still not works after all step above, do

Go to Settings > apps > all
go to Google Play Store
do clear data
reboot
Do With Your Own Risk

Edited by janesh, 30 May 2013 - 01:47 AM.

On order, nothing, and am i am finished with Chinese cpu's, i prefer my exynos devices.
Favorites, in order of use, Samsung galaxy note 8 inch, Ramos W42, Ployer Momo11 quad exynos 4412.
Sold last months, PiPo U1, Teclast P85, PiPo S2, Teclast P85HD, Cube mini U30GT, Yuandao Vido N80IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero ii: very bad, Ployer Momo12, Onda V812, Yuandao Vido N80 RK3188, Teclast P88, Google Nexus 7-8Gb, PiPo M8pro RK3188, Chuwi V88 RK3188, Samsung galaxy tab 7.7, Ployer Momo8 IPS, Yuandao Window N70, BB playbook.
And: You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason: we were lazy.

#34 Kasj

Kasj

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hello, I tried to do the upgrade but when I get to step 6 and I press Switch the tablet turns off

I had the same problem a few days ago with my teclast p88. My advice: directly after you click switch, browse in windows to your device manager. There should be an unknown device visible in there now. Manually install the drivers for it by browsing to the rkbatchtool folder that also contains the rockchip drivers. After installing these drivers the icon should turn green.
  • channeledbymodem likes this

#35 Bikerboy89

Bikerboy89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Is this update android 4.2?

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

#36 lambstone

lambstone

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Is this update android 4.2?

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

Nope, not yet.

#37 ronono

ronono

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Well, I got the touch screen freeze issue on multiple occasions.

I got same problem...
I hope that Chuwi will release new firmware on Android 4.2.

#38 sander815

sander815

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

Download needed XML files here.

I used 'root browser' from the Google playstore to copy the below mentioned extracted XML files to /system/etc/permissions

Change permission on XML files in list below to rw-r-r (long tap on each file and select permission)
android.hardware.location.gps.xml
android.hardware.location.xml
com.android.location.provider.xml
tablet_core_hardware.xml

with root browser i am not able to change these permissions?
Changing permissions was not succesfull. Please note that some file systems do not allow permission changes.

#39 janesh

janesh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationthe netherlands

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

All i can suggest is, your device is not rooted. I did it several times also with the Chuwi V88, without any problem.
I now have 'buienradar', 'paypal', 'twitter', etc. with the newest stock firmware from Chuwi.
I often succeed without changing permissions, only put the XML files in etc/permissions. You have to notice if this succeed.
On order, nothing, and am i am finished with Chinese cpu's, i prefer my exynos devices.
Favorites, in order of use, Samsung galaxy note 8 inch, Ramos W42, Ployer Momo11 quad exynos 4412.
Sold last months, PiPo U1, Teclast P85, PiPo S2, Teclast P85HD, Cube mini U30GT, Yuandao Vido N80IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero ii: very bad, Ployer Momo12, Onda V812, Yuandao Vido N80 RK3188, Teclast P88, Google Nexus 7-8Gb, PiPo M8pro RK3188, Chuwi V88 RK3188, Samsung galaxy tab 7.7, Ployer Momo8 IPS, Yuandao Window N70, BB playbook.
And: You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason: we were lazy.

#40 sander815

sander815

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

i rooted with ZhuoDaShi...i have supersu in my applications thats was installed by ZhuoDaShi

edit: i moved them and buienradar installs :)

Edited by sander815, 01 June 2013 - 05:46 AM.