• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 user7

user7

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

This tablet is great with reading pdf magazines. And it light and slim plus the size is excellent so it makes the reading really enjoyable. Which i cant say for 9.7 inch tab(at least in my opinion) . I tested several magazines all of them worked great on the chuwi v88.

#22 Empyrean

Empyrean

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Just wanted to add two extra points:

- HDMI (with mini not micro HDMI) out works swimmingly @ 1080p:
Posted Image

- OTG works well for basic USB devices. Mass storage for larger require rooting (S3C USB host, etc.):
Posted Image

#23 Mcell

Mcell

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

Hi all,I'm new here, so please bear with me. :rolleyes:

This is my first Chinese unit after having been an owned of the Asus Transfomer tf101. I wanted a smaller (and lighter) tablet and after a quick search I noticed the V88 unit, looked up some reviews here and on YouTube and ordered one. I got my Chuwi V88 yesterday after it was shipped on Tuesday. I ordered my unit via aliexpress which is something I definitely can recommend. I'll do a quick review of the unit.

First my only gripe with the tablet;

- The unit I got did not have any major issues, however it does have a small issue where the casing does not seem to be applied perfectly to the screen which results in having light from the backlight bleeding through the outer casing. I didn't find this issue big enough to open a dispute, but it's a little annoying.

]Posted Image[

Please note that this picture has been taken with brightness settings on the tablet at highest and in a darkened room, so it really makes the effect look worse than it is in reality.

This was my only gripe with the tablet, hopefully I can fix it myself (does anyone have experience with a similar thing)?

Mini review in bulletpoints:

- The screen is as beautiful as it is responsive, the colours are very vibrant. Viewing angle is superb.
- Sound through the speaker is okay, nothing major but certainly not bad. Sound through headphones is excellent, depending on the headphones you have ofcourse.
- The unit is very fast and responsive, it feels snappier than my Galaxy SIII phone. (see Antuntu benchmarks below)
- Battery life is good, especially for a smaller tablet like this one. I played with mine for 3 - 4 hours last night and the battery dropped from 100% to 55%.
- Video playback is excellent, I played a 1080p MKV file of 30gb and it played fluently (my WiFi network was having more issues though Posted Image).
- The WiFi is acceptable, but not spectacular. It performs slighyly less than on my Asus TF 101 tablet.
- For the person who asked about book and pdf reading please see below screenshot. (I personally will be doing lots of reading on this and I'm very pleased with the results, definite yes from my part)

Unit was easily rooted with help of the RKbatchtool, MoboRobo (for the drivers) and ZhuoDaShi (for the rooting itself) NOTE: ZhuoDaShi is in Chinese, I looked up a guide on the YouTube which helped me through it. First time I did a root on any device and I managed without problems, so it shouldn't be too hard. I also use Market Helper to download apps in the play store, which otherwise can not be downloaded because the device isn't recognised by Play store. I also did a FW upgrade using the guide on this site, all credits go to the original author.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's it, I don't have time to do a more extensive review, I'm sorry about that. I hope this helped at least one person. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

#24 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Mcell,Excellent review and thanks for adding to the community. My understanding is the Chuwi is a rather small factory so these units are almost going out as ordered. I think lambstone and bikerboy discussed an issue with the tablet's glass and a possible fix so you may want to look into that (see post #299 in the "Chuwi Pad Mini V88" thread). I'm not sure if this will fix your problem. Supposedly the RK3188 can be clocked to 1.8Ghz once the firmware is optimized. If that actually occurs (and there are benchmarks showing the RK3188 at 1.8Ghz) then we can expect a 3,000 addition to our Antutu Benchmark scores. Unfortunately, the Chinese are well known for posting the theoretical clock speed of a CPU where as in reality due to chip stability the actual clock speed is lower. We'll have to wait and see on that one...smithmal

#25 Bikerboy89

Bikerboy89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

At least Rockchip is closer to their promised speed..1.6ghz vs 1.8ghz is really minimal. Allwinner's a31 only runs at 1ghz rather than their advertised 1.5ghz.

#26 sydeu

sydeu

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Im having problems with 720p mkv playback on my chuwi v88. Every file works but it's a little bit laggy, not much but enough to make me not wanna watch anything. I've tried BSPlayer, MX Player, MX Player with custom codecs and stock player, all have the same problem. Anyone else having these problems?

#27 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Im having problems with 720p mkv playback on my chuwi v88. Every file works but it's a little bit laggy, not much but enough to make me not wanna watch anything. I've tried BSPlayer, MX Player, MX Player with custom codecs and stock player, all have the same problem. Anyone else having these problems?

Sydeu,

When you say "laggy" do you mean audio sync problems? When using MX Player are you using Software or Hardware video and/or audio decoding? I've read that Android notoriously has issues with mkv files so this might be something you have to live with for a while. You could also try VLC.

smithmal

#28 Bikerboy89

Bikerboy89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

I honestly can see this tablet replacing my iPad mini and that's the ultimate praise because the iPad mini is the best tablet I've ever owned...

My previous tablets:
Asus TF 300 (cheap plastic)
Toshiba thrive (poor screen)
Nexus 7 (too small)
iPad 4 (too heavy, expensive and locked down by ios)

iPad mini (perfect size and weight; still boring iOS though. Although smooth operation and great cameras)

Update: It can't replace my iPad mini in one way though... none of the keyboards on the market can match the responsiveness of the iOS built in.. that's not this tablets problem though, it's androids.

Edited by Bikerboy89, 22 May 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#29 sydeu

sydeu

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Sydeu,

When you say "laggy" do you mean audio sync problems? When using MX Player are you using Software or Hardware video and/or audio decoding? I've read that Android notoriously has issues with mkv files so this might be something you have to live with for a while. You could also try VLC.

smithmal

No the sound is good, its the video that is a little bit choppy. I'll try vlc.

#30 b4ek

b4ek

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hi!
I did a review of this tablet in french with sub
If you have any questions don't hesitate! :)

#31 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hi!
I did a review of this tablet in french with sub http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cbCFmVZiurM
If you have any questions don't hesitate! :)

b4ek,

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to post this and giving back to the community. Also, I appreciate you adding the subtitles so all of us non-French speaking users can understand. I really like how you touched upon things that weren't shown/discussed before in other peoples reviews such as:

- Screen brightness and color saturation in comparison to other IPS screens using Display Tester
- Bluetooth pairing functionality (using your BT speaker)
- Picture in Picture (to show the tablet's multi-tasking performance)
- Various HD videos (showing it's limitations with 2k video formats)
- OTG abilities (by exploring a flash drive and using a USB XBOX controller in game)
- Camera functionality/limitations
- Speaker volume and clarity

smithmal

#32 TheJase

TheJase

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks everyone for posting all of your reviews. This is really a big help in the search for a decent-quality chinese tablet. Thanks to these posts I now have it down to the Chuwi v88, the Cube u23gt, and the cube U35gt. I would really like to have bluetooth, around an 8 inch screen, rk3188 quad processor. I am fully into rooting and hacking everything I own so I'm ok with a little post-purchase surgery in the way of removal of apps and hacking techniques. Just curious, with those specs in mind, any other chinese tablets of reasonable quality I've missed? I'm new so hopefully this is an ok post. So far, the v88 has my most likely bid.

#33 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

TheJase,

Apart from a nice screen, good firmware and above average build quality, the v88 has two things going for it that set it apart from others:

- can be purchased with 2GB of RAM
- has Bluetooth (which seems to be functioning)

Cube is a reputable maker and has at least been in the business of making tablets for quite a while (that bodes well for firmware support). From what I can see (on the McDud website) both Cube models are presell right now but will be shipping out this week.

Vs. the v88:
U23GT - is cheaper (by about $20), comes only with 1GB RAM, has bluetooth, but is heavier, has a crappier screen (5 point touch capacitive), smaller battery and a crappy single 0.3M camera (if that's important to you).
U35GT - is about the same price, comes only with 1GB RAM, doesn't have bluetooth, is about the same weight, similar screen (10 point capacitive screen), smaller battery and a crappy single 0.3M camber (if that's important to you).

It would seem then that the U23GT would be your best bet, but since no one has one yet, I'd hold off on choosing between the two until you get some real life consumer reviews back. Personally I'd like my tablets to be "future-proofed" as much as possible so the Chuwi wins hands down as it can be purchased with 2GB of RAM.

smithmal

#34 b4ek

b4ek

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

I appreciate smithmal. Thank you very much!

I think i made a mistake, chuwi v88 doesn't have GPS right?

#35 channeledbymodem

channeledbymodem

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

TheJase,

Apart from a nice screen, good firmware and above average build quality, the v88 has two things going for it that set it apart from others:

- can be purchased with 2GB of RAM
- has Bluetooth (which seems to be functioning)

Cube is a reputable maker and has at least been in the business of making tablets for quite a while (that bodes well for firmware support). From what I can see (on the McDud website) both Cube models are presell right now but will be shipping out this week.

Vs. the v88:
U23GT - is cheaper (by about $20), comes only with 1GB RAM, has bluetooth, but is heavier, has a crappier screen (5 point touch capacitive), smaller battery and a crappy single 0.3M camera (if that's important to you).
U35GT - is about the same price, comes only with 1GB RAM, doesn't have bluetooth, is about the same weight, similar screen (10 point capacitive screen), smaller battery and a crappy single 0.3M camber (if that's important to you).

It would seem then that the U23GT would be your best bet, but since no one has one yet, I'd hold off on choosing between the two until you get some real life consumer reviews back. Personally I'd like my tablets to be "future-proofed" as much as possible so the Chuwi wins hands down as it can be purchased with 2GB of RAM.

smithmal

The Cube closest to the V88 will be the u30gt mini2. Given the fit and finish issues with the V88 plus some ROM problems I'm having the Cube may be worth waiting for. I'm using the Nook now because my three day old Chuwi is acting up. :-(

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using Tapatalk HD

#36 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I appreciate smithmal. Thank you very much!

I think i made a mistake, chuwi v88 doesn't have GPS right?

It does not. The only RK3188 tablet I know of that has GPS built-in and is around 8" is the upcoming Pipo M7 or PipoM7Pro. Neither of which are released yet. Supposedly they are going to be available in June, but since there is very little buzz about it I would think late June if not July. The M7s are a 8.9" design which is very rare. I was thinking of holding off until they got released, but tablets in general with GPS chips built-in are inferior to actual GPS units and/or bluetooth GPS receivers. For this reason I decided to jump on the Chuwi v88 bandwagon and get myself a BT GPS receiver.

smithmal

#37 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

The Cube closest to the V88 will be the u30gt mini2. Given the fit and finish issues with the V88 plus some ROM problems I'm having the Cube may be worth waiting for. I'm using the Nook now because my three day old Chuwi is acting up. :-(

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using Tapatalk HD

CBM,

Can you explain what issues you are having?

smithmal

#38 channeledbymodem

channeledbymodem

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

The poor join between the plastic face and metal back has already been mentioned. It wouldn't matter if it were "perfect" because the plastic volume rocker and power button are so loosely fitted that light would shine through them anyway.

The clear plastic laminate over the screen is so poorly applied that it is already coming loose creating barely visible bubbles on the narrow bezel.

Another disadvantage of the metal back (as opposed to plastic): the ports for hdmi, usb and tf are sharp and rough. Not nice.

This morning I ran the battery down to zero. I've had it plugged in now for two hours and while it boots (it will not boot when plugged in; goes to charge state), settings tells me the battery is *still* at zero.

Because the partition for applications on the internal sd card is only 2GBs it gets filled up quickly and no more apps can be installed even if the 14GB partition is empty. When "legal" apps are moved from the "tablet" to the "sd card," they "disappear," leaving only grayed out ghosts of themselves in settings, which crashes now when accessed and forces a reboot. This is probably a ROM problem that might be solved by reinstalling every app to the tablet partition but that would mean losing apps I use that should work on the sd card. Plus I have painstakingly recreated folders for the apps on the SD card several times on the home screen only to have them disappear on reboot. So all in all a pretty poor ROM (pace Roman, probably not his "fault") compared the the CM10 I use on my Nook.

Connection by ADB is so haphazard as to be unusable. Apps like Airdroid must be used for sideloading.

Plus there seems to be no way to boot into safe mode. There is no option other than shutdown upon pressing the power button and holding. Rebooting while holding the vol+ and vol- down buttons doesn't go into safe mode.

So all in all the V88 is barely adequately constructed and even Roman's ROM is pretty funky and immature. I won't return the tablet; I'm not sure there's anything else any better for ~$200. Maybe the old Teclast P88HD. But I know the Ainol Venus we bought a couple of months ago with a vanilla ROM has *none* of these construction or ROM issues. If I had it to do over again, I'd look for a RK3188 model with plastic construction. I don't think any of the Chinese can employ a metal case with the quality control of the ipad mini.

On the bright side my Antutu score was way over 17000. LOL>

#39 user7

user7

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

this is the first part of the full review for chuwi v88. :D

#40 Bikerboy89

Bikerboy89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Just glue your glass to the plastic sub frame problem solved. Its poor quality control probably some lazy worker not applying glue to all the areas of the glass. The tablet can still be opened if needed if you glue the glass to the plastic sub frame. I'm happy I did it. :) you don't open this tablet between the glass and the plastic, you open it between the plastic and the metal backing.

Sent from my CW-V88-QUAD using Tapatalk 2