new glass

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 gnatking

gnatking

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:39 AM

I dropped my novel and cracked the glass. Does anyone know how I can get new glass for replacement?

#2 nchntrman

nchntrman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationIndian Shores & Gainesville

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:54 AM

call Pandigital and ask for a repair center. There are none but if you are lucky they will take care of you.

#3 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

Support Contact Information * Pandigital Support Center * Phone: (1-800) 715-5354 * Monday - Friday 10am -7pm EST * Saturday 10am - 4pm EST * Pandigital.net (Yep, I found this in the Wiki.)

#4 gnatking

gnatking

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

I dropped my novel and cracked the glass. Does anyone know how I can get new glass for replacement?

I talked to pandigital and they said they offer no support on a hardware fix like glass. And told me to talk to someone who replaces glass. Sounds like they are treating it like a throw away object.

#5 aludal

aludal

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationCapitola, CA

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

Here Data Modul CLAA070LC0JCT 7" Color 800 x 480 TFT (Data Modul CES13737) : surpluscomputers.com you can find a replacement screen panel for mere $16.99 +S&H.Sure it's 800x480 and certainly would need a corresponding PDN case mod, but looks like an enticing DIY project (I myself look at it as a candidate to add to my super-duper-puper Cortex A9 TI OMAP 4430 Panda Board (PandaBoard Early Adopter Program - OMAPpedia))

#6 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

[quote name='Mark Adams;64938](Yep' date=' I found this in the Wiki.)[/QUOTE'] What's a weekee? Do we have one of those? Can you send me the address on a pizza? No meat, just bannana peppers and mushrooms.

#7 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Will send on Pizza. takes 6 weeks to deliver. Please eat when it arrives. Adding peppers. Mushrooms will grow in mail.

#8 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

I talked to pandigital and they said they offer no support on a hardware fix like glass. And told me to talk to someone who replaces glass. Sounds like they are treating it like a throw away object.

This is for M003 but it is a 800x600 screen Sunsky - Replacement LCD Screen for M003 (S-WMC-0210)Just be sure to install it upside down.

#9 nchntrman

nchntrman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

I don't think replacing the screen with just any will work nicely. Is the display / LCD damaged? Or just the touch screen layer (glass) portion?I think it might be worth someones research to locate replacement parts. Let's get a list of actual part numbers for the OEM parts. Then let's have someone research who sells the OEM parts or direct replacements. (I nominate aludal ;D )

#10 aludal

aludal

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationCapitola, CA

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

[quote name='nchntrman;72760]I don't think replacing the screen with just any will work nicely. Is the display / LCD damaged? Or just the touch screen layer (glass) portion?I think it might be worth someones research to locate replacement parts. Let's get a list of actual part numbers for the OEM parts. Then let's have someone research who sells the OEM parts or direct replacements. (I nominate aludal ;D )[/QUOTE]WOW' date=' thank you, LOL. But I'm mostly about fonts, serifs, and other intangible things (Fine Oils).So, I'd nominate our Mark from Adams Family, to get a list of PDN parts in his Wiki. ;)

#11 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

The best part of being the butt of a joke... there is no best part to being the butt of a joke.

#12 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,288 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

Will send on Pizza. takes 6 weeks to deliver. Please eat when it arrives. Adding peppers. Mushrooms will grow in mail.

Custom made and delivered. Yummm

#13 sifon187

sifon187

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

I want some pizza now, you bastirds

#14 nchntrman

nchntrman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

lol, way to pass the buck like a relay runner ;D

#15 Jaysn

Jaysn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but has anyone had any luck finding replacement glass for a PDN?  My wife's two day old PDN was dropped at work, and the screen cracked.  The person who dropped it has already replaced it, so now I have a (mostly) functional third PDN that just needs new front glass.  Has anyone sourced anywhere that we can get replacement digitizers for these yet?  I figure it would be worth trying to replace & document while I'm at it.

#16 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

We actually prefer necro'd threads to adding new ones. For figuring that out and finding the one out of three threads on this issue that has any useful info at all you get +1 Karma. Hope this helps in fixing the glass quest.

#17 nchntrman

nchntrman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

Pandigital replaced my unit for shipping costs, another user did not have the same luck. 
There is another thread that details my experience, but here is the jist.
I called and told them I broke my novel and would like to know where to send it for repairs. (They started to send me to tech spuuort)
I stopped them and told them the glass is broken, DO THEY HAVE A REPAIR CENTER i can send it to?
I was put on hold, they returned and requested information (serial number etc.. i did not have handy) I was told to call back when I had it handy.  I did so about a week later, they gave me an address and attn to send it in.  I beleive the name was Mia Chung or Cho.  I was told to mail it in and they would check it over.  I asked and made sure there would be no unforseen costs after I mailed it in.  I was told, to pay shipping to get my damaged unit to the NJ location ($14 flat rate USPS + insurance at $150), a new one would be sent from the CA location at no additional charge.  2 weeks later I got a New In box, obviously refurbised unit, but had good glass. 

It might be worth a shot, only cost you time and a phone call.  I was very specific to request a repair facility first, they responded by indicating there were none.  I also commented on them selling a Product with no infrastructure in place for repairs. I was very casual with my mood/tome of voice and never came across as rude or demanding, I was very nonchalant about requesting it to be repaired and haveing no option.. perhaps that was elemental in their decision to replace for me.. idk.. this was in the end of july.

#18 mac1_131

mac1_131

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Seems to be some non-functional units on ebay very cheap.  Maybe buy one of those for $5 to get the glass?

Sent from my slatedroid-pdn using Tapatalk

#19 Jaysn

Jaysn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Thanks nchntr & mac.  I'll give them a call, & use ########### as a last resort.  Will having already installed a different firmware matter when I call them?  It's actually on your rom :) This thread was the first one that came up on google search that wasn't useless.

#20 kime9873

kime9873

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

My son had his in his coat pocket on Christmas day in the cover and the glass cracked when he fell asleep.  I can't get through to customer service, but from the responses above, I guess it doesn't matter.  His touch screen layer is intact, but the glass is broken.  If anyone figures out a fix, please post.

Thanks