• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

#21 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

battery was. Charged it wouldn't power up. It will not read or format any sd cards . Screen calibration does not work. Other then that it plays music well speakers sound good. Screen could be more responsive. I think with some firmware development this will work.

#22 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

---dk, thanks for the email... glad you're getting the things working -- no other users have mentioned them, but sometimes there is the odd unit that will require gentle consideration (grin) til you see how it likes to be done.as I mentioned in email - I suggest starting a thread in the OTHER section to see what others have discovered (I would, but conflict of interest being a store)jim

#23 plasmadis

plasmadis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

I highly recommend buying your Android tablet from James at BuyADroid. My XPAD-701 is great. Communication was excellent, he quickly provided tracking and promptly replied to emails, and the tablet made it from Hong Kong to California in just a week.

#24 dkelewae

dkelewae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

These pads are good and u may want to order two when u do as it took a whole week from china to MO. Lol

#25 Cod2lord

Cod2lord

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hey,Let me start with this. I have one word for James he's AMAZING ! he's a kind friendly guy who gives help when you need it. I had trouble picking a Tablet. And he just asked what i wanted too do with it. And gave me some options.He helped me from the start to the end. I didn't recieve my tablet yet. at the end i picked the X5A(Can't wait to get my hands on it :) . But i think its important to let you guys know what a great guy he is and what a great shop he runs. I'll update when i recieve the tablet. And i'll write a mini review aswell : )Cod2lord

#26 NinjaTh1ef

NinjaTh1ef

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

run into problems with your store. with the new menu system if i click on, for example, 10 inch tablet then click on zt 180, instead of taking me to the web page about it it takes me to a webpage that has jsut the image of the banner, nothing else. is this just me or does everyone have this problem?

#27 Gee

Gee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Nope, you're not alone :(I'm trying to take a look at newcommers all day long ...with the same effect - site just opens .png file I click on.

#28 Spartman

Spartman

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

Me too! Probably 100-150 hits from me alone. Curiosity is killin this cat :)

#29 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

SITE DOWN TIL TONIGHT---- FOR REDESIGNI TRIED TO PUT UP A FRAMEWORK AND ALL MODELS GOT DELETED !!!!JUST STICK WITH ME---- BE THERE SOON (grin)Thanks for the interest and the report

#30 Gee

Gee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

SITE DOWN TIL TONIGHT---- FOR REDESIGNI TRIED TO PUT UP A FRAMEWORK AND ALL MODELS GOT DELETED !!!![...]

well... not allI had this one in my links history and direct link appears to work fine buyadroid.blogspot.com/2010/08/hsg-x5a-7-android-tablet.html

#31 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

if you have the direct link to the page, then yes you can get to the regular models with the old setup.my buttons are gone. and the new models need to be added.kindest (any future comments please move to the BUYaDROID NOW OPEN thread.)Jim

#32 NinjaTh1ef

NinjaTh1ef

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:00 AM

your other thread says closed and wont let me post

#33 n3wb13

n3wb13

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:41 AM

10" tablets page hasn't been updated yet. And the description for the gii-Sense is wrong :

*But this version only has 2GB Ram.

BTW the BUYaDROID NOW OPEN thread is closed :(

#34 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

hey guys-- im CERTAINLY not closed. Im trying to find out what happened-- I can't find the moderation tool to correct.Got an email in to admin now.and n3wb13 -- the description of gii-SENSE is ---This model sacrifices 2GB of Ram.Yeah-- I see... listed proper 2GB in short description, but not in list -- thanks !Thanks,jim

#35 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

Jim on the actual Description/Order page for the gii-sense it still lists it as 4GB.Also the links for the 10 inch models aren't working and the link for the Eken M0005 takes you to the Eken M005 banner.If you need any help with the website let me know

#36 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

OH ! sorry guys... im going there now.... LONG NIGHT (grin)FIXED !

#37 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

CUT FROM WEBSTORE FEEDBACK:justin said... Dear all, I ordered a ZT180 on Wednesday. I received the product on the following Monday - via FEDEX. I am so impressed with the service and the communication I received from James. I live in the UK - NO problems with customs for me. If anyone wants to contact me to discuss the service provided then please email James and ask him for my details -I will be happy to share my experience with the seller and the tablet itself. regards Justin October 18, 2010 5:36 AM

#38 kpowr82

kpowr82

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

Based on 5 star ratingsORDER/DELIVERY - 5 StarsSo, I received my xpad 701 from James yesterday. First let me say that it was a pleasure dealing with James, he kept me up to date on what was going on during the entire order process (delayed because of Chinese holiday). If it weren't for the holiday, I don't see any problem with having a tab in hands within 7 days. From Hong Kong on Oct 14th to me near Detroit, MI by Oct 18th! <-- Yup, there was a weekend squeezed in their too :)PACKAGING/ACCESSORIES - 4.5 StarsBasically, the original MID box (which had an image that worried me), wrapped in bubble wrap and then probably an entire roll of packaging tape. What can I say, IT WORKED, made it from Hong Kong to Detroit without a scratch. I didn't have a bunch of shipping peanuts or extra boxes to throw away.Came with a decent amount of accessories just like James describes in his store. I got a US power supply so I didn't need an adapter. Came with various mini USB/USB cables. The pleather case is interesting, I thought it would be much more vinyl/plastic like (think 3 ring binder) but it's surprisingly of good quality, but it's not real leather. I only give this area 4.5 stars because I was expecting a soft pouch per James' description in the store but no such pouch was included.EDIT: The reason the image on the product box worried me is because it wasn't of the model I ordered. It looked like a different model. I was relived to find the proper xpad in there though.FIRST IMPRESSION/BUILD QUALITY - 3 StarsWow, I've seen some JUNK come out of China. The build quality on this device is fair. Not getting any design awards any time soon, but it felt solid in the hands. I know the store description now says an all plastic design, but I could have sworn I read somewhere here that it had a glass screen like the x5a. Unfortunately, that's where this tablet fails IMO, more on that later.It's got some rough edges where front bezel and back panel come together. Production tolerances are a bit loose. Nothing rattles or wobbles on this tab though, like I said above, it's solid. The ports for connectivity and ac power don't offer a reassuring "click" or particularly snug fit like I've come to expect from "Made FOR America" tabs, but everything seats properly.I can see where the front bezel is glued to the back panel and tiny little hairline cracks in the bezel are visible. It's a decent piece, but ALMOST feels like a pre-production quality.BOOT/SHUTDOWN and SLEEP/WAKE - 5 starsOkay, so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular from the Telechips processor, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fast this MID boots up. I'd say it takes approx the same amount of time as my much more powerful HTC Evo with Android 2.2. The expected "delay" between when the OS looks like it's ready and when it's actually usable occurs within an acceptable amount of time.When you power the tablet off, the OS shutdowns in an acceptable amount of time. Faster than my HTC Hero used to. The Hero would sometimes hang up and I'd have to pull the battery to kill it. No such problems with this MID in my limited use.Short pressing the power button does what you expect, sleep and wake. Both of these occur with little trouble and they occur on the first press of the power button every time. Lots of battery is drained in standby mode though, the CPU doesn't seem to slow down when the MID is asleep...come to think of it, that may be because of the way I'm using SetCPU ;) ...that's going to require further testingTOUCH SCREEN - QUALITY/RESPONSIVENESS - EDIT: 3 starsHoly cannoli Batman, resistive touch panels make me want to throw this tab against the wall! I haven't used one in years and it's just as frustrating as I remember it being years ago. The calibration tool is a plus, and the touch is "accurate" just not "precise". It's clear that the panel is registering the correct location on the screen, but sometimes I've got press the same dog gone thing 3 or 4 times to get it to respond. I'm not sure if the cpu or panel itself is the biggest culprit.The resolution is low for this size screen. Text can appear fuzzy at times causing a bit of eye strain. The lowest brightness setting isn't much dimmer than the highest brightness setting. Blacks are just barely black and color hue and saturation leaves much to be desired. I didn't expect an HD quality experience from this tab, but I did expect a bit more than what was delivered.All of this is expected from a resistive touch screen. Other than price point, there is absolutely NO reason to prefer a resistive panel over capacitive. That is unless you live in Antarctica and you wear gloves all the time. Even then you can purchase a stylus that works with capacitive panels.EDIT: So, after I rooted this thing, I put setCPU on it. The problem is, setCPU apparantely didn't recognize the kernel or whatever and the maximum cpu speed was being capped at 528mhz!!! After removing setCPU this tablet has new life! WITH HIGHER CPU SPEEDS THIS PANEL IS MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE! Updated/Custom firmware should improve this too!CPU/GPU - 4 starsRated separately, CPU would get 3 stars, GPU 5 stars. I grouped them together here because most of these tabs are advertised as "dual core". Even though James is straight up and doesn't "feature" this device as "dual core", there are enough of these types of tabs out there that those considering purchasing any telechip would benefit from this review.Processing power is acceptable if not lacking. It's on par with my HTC Hero which is pretty slow compared to my EVO. I wasn't expecting to be blown away, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be anywhere near a Rockchip or VIA powered device. Tap too fast and the processor and OS hangs and sometimes will reboot itself.Now on to video processing. Wow, this tab handles HD YouTube vids with EASE. Even on a slow DSL Wifi connection. Video playback is EXCELLENT. I didn't play with a lot of different formats, but if you choose one this media player can handle it should look great. Definitely a big bonus having a dedicated GPU in this regard.FIRMWARE/APPS - 4 stars This tab needs 2.2 pretty bad right now IMO, but for the sake of this review, I'll give you my opinion on what this tab may do better than others. Market works just fine for me, even after flashing rom #71 AND rooting. I have no problem downloading and installing free and paid apps. BUT, some apps that I use are not available in the 2.1 Android market. It's easy to grab an .apk online, but you'll find out why some of these aren't available to 2.1 devices.YouTube and Gmail apps work flawlessly for me. I didn't have to disable HD or go to the mobile web site to view YouTube videos. The few videos I did watch on the native app looked GREAT.It was a frustrating experience for me to flash and root this MID the first time. I thought I bricked it, but to be totally honest, as long as you have the drivers on your PC, I think it's pretty much impossible to brick a device unless you're having a hardware issue. Now though (since I had to reflash a couple time to stick) I think I can flash new firmware with my eyes closed. All the necessary drivers and utilities are there for you.OVERALL - EDIT: 4 StarsI don't have any other Android MID to compare this to, so I'll compare it to the MANY android phones I've owned. The resistive panel kills this thing. I'm pretty confident that once some developers get cracking on custom roms most of these issues will be resolved. To be totally honest, just from reading all the crap you have to do to make OTHER tabs USABLE out of the box, this MUST be one of the best coming out of Shenzen (sp?). All in all, I'm glad I purchased this MID because I wasn't sure if I really had a need for an Android tablet. Now I'm sure that I do :)EDIT: So, after I rooted this thing, I put setCPU on it. The problem is, setCPU apparantely didn't recognize the kernel or whatever and the maximum cpu speed was being capped at 528mhz!!! After removing setCPU this tablet has new life!I'll be selling this tablet here shortly because I want to wait for a tablet with a capacitive panel. I'm probably making a much bigger deal than I need to, but I'm spoiled by now. After discovering the setCPU issue, I'll no longer be selling this tablet until something much better comes along ;)

#39 samteee

samteee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

kpowr82, I don't understand when you say "After removing setCPU this tablet has new life!". You rooted it and then install setCPU. After that you uninstall it and everything better, right?Thank for the review.Please forgive my English. If it seem to be rude or disrespect, please understand it is not my intention.

#40 Robert Komisar

Robert Komisar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

Well I took the plunge and purchased the AL-S8 today.Will report all upon receiving.Looking forward to this.One more thingy to add to the collection-WPDN,Nook,Kindle,M001, and now this.Sure hope that this will let me get rid of a couple of those and wrap it all up into one for the road.