Photo

help needed - stuck on pandigital novel picture?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 hp001

hp001

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

hi, i successfully installed CRUZ beta. then i successfully used it for 2-3 days.i wanted rotation fix. so i learned all ADB methods and then pushed framework.jar for 270 rotation fix. everything went smooth. i was also able to give reboot command from command prompt. PDN rebooted and now it is stuck at blue picture showing pandigital novel written on left upper corner (original boot screen came with original FW and also a part of CRUZ beta).i am still able to connect it to PC and can give all ADB command to PDN through command prompt. even i can reboot PDN from PC, but all times it is stuck on that picture. i can't get next screen.one thing i notice that there was flashing white line in the bottom that always shows up when you reboot each time is now not coming. so i guess i am stuck there.and i am also unable to flash it. because holding power and vol+ button still stuck at blue picture screen. so no go to flashing again.help needed. thanks in advance.

#2 gortyargen

gortyargen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:12 AM

I had a similar problem. Ended up disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. Then I held the power button and vol up button for about 20 seconds until I saw the android flashing screen.Everything worked fine after that.

#3 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:10 AM

Please don't post the same thing in multiple areas. It's not necessary and clogs the forums up. I answered your post in your other thread.Can we get a mod to take care of this please?

#4 lbow

lbow

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

I had the same problem on Saturday night. I ended up using the Pandigital Windows program to download newest Pandigital firmware onto the internal SD card. I removed my SD card, then held the power button and Volume Up and used a toothpick in my mouth to press the reset button. Then it flashed to the newest Pandigital software. After that I could reflash to whatever I wanted. It almost seemed that I wasn't able to press the power/Vol. Up combo fast enough when I pressed the reset button with a paperclip in my fingers. Hope this helps,Liberty

#5 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

Answering your question: take the back off your device. don't pull the wires, but work your batter connector loose (needlenose pliers are good). Load an oem fwto an sd card (it's best if it's the only thing in the card). put the sd card in while the battery is disconnected. Don't worry about putting the back on - reconnect the battery, then hold power and volume up until you see the android unpack image. Do not put a modified fw on until you have an oem fw stable again - doesn't matter which.You could also do the same thing, theoretically, using the "adb reboot" command from the dos prompt, instead of pulling the battery. This doesn't always work though.

Please don't post the same thing in multiple areas. It's not necessary and clogs the forums up. I answered your post in your other thread.

Newbies, this is not your personal help desk. I'm going to start issuing infractions for multiposts like this. We're just waaaay to big to have people post several threads over and over again to get an answer to a question, particularly without waiting for an answer to their first post. It's a recurrent problem, it's getting a lot of complaints, and it's really, really annoying.blazingwolf, if you need me to get something like this, feel free to pm me.

#6 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

I'm going to add another line in my OP on the Cruz Beta - some of the PDN mods will NOT work with the Cruz Beta (the rotation fix being one of them).Lawman, we might want to have a Cruz sub-section to keep this separate. It didn't really dawn on me that people might try different mods between the two. I had gotten an question about rooting the Cruz (a real one) last night also.

#7 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

[quote name='roebeet;61334]I'm going to add another line in my OP on the Cruz Beta - some of the PDN mods will NOT work with the Cruz Beta (the rotation fix being one of them).Lawman' date=' we might want to have a Cruz sub-section to keep this separate. It didn't really dawn on me that people might try different mods between the two. I had gotten an question about rooting the Cruz (a real one) last night also.[/QUOTE']I just added an enormous note to the top of the rotation mod. I should probably make a non-ugly market hack for you, too :)

#8 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

If you could make a hack for both, we'd all be very grateful. :)

#9 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:17 AM

framework.jar is the same between your two versions, right? Just one hack then :)

#10 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Correct. There's only OS-based file between the two that's different (which is libandroid_servers.so). Thanks!btw, you PM is full -- I remember vaguely seeing that "ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED" line in the build.prop, but never pursued it. This is good to know and I've jotted it down for future mods. Thanks again.

#11 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

[quote name='roebeet;61349]Correct. There's only OS-based file between the two that's different (which is libandroid_servers.so). Thanks!btw' date=' you PM is full -- I remember vaguely seeing that "ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED" line in the build.prop, but never pursued it. This is good to know and I've jotted it down for future mods. Thanks again.[/QUOTE']Yeah, I got an email that my PM is full. 20 message limit :) SHEESH No need to re-reply if that was all.

#12 hp001

hp001

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:26 PM

hi, thanks all for your instant help. i am sorry for posting twice as i didn't know where to start new thread.holding power button and Vol+ first and then pressing the reset button while still holding power and vol did the trick. i was able to flash whatever i want to after that.thanks a lot every one and esp. lbow for suggestion as it's not fast enough to press power and vol after pressing reset.

#13 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Here's a fascinating twist... I did the consolidated market hack. I tried the ugly hack to get the google market working. Now I can't get my pdn to flash ANY firmware, of ANY date or mod, from EITHER card, internal or external. It takes 5 full minutes to start up also. Thoughts?

#14 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

When you try to flash, does the screen blank out and not do anything? And does adb show the device in recovery mode? If so, your recovery partition is probably borked (There's a possible fix for that - once in the OS, you can use flash_image to re-flash just the recovery partition).

#15 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

no, I see the pandigital novel screen. It blinks, then i see the pandigital novel screen with a white bar moving on the bottom that stops and starts for a while.

#16 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Even when you try to get into recovery? It just bypasses the power / vol up? As for the 5 minutes, logcat will probably tell the tale - something is probably crashing behind the scenes. If it were me, I'd try to work on getting recovery working first (since you don't want that broken), and then maybe backing out of your changes second.

#17 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

I guess the good news is the market is working... I can never flash again, but, hey...

#18 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

No, that's a bad thing! Quickie instructions to fix recovery (I had to do this, a few days ago):- Unzip "recovery.img" from your 8/20 stock f/w and drop it in your ADB folder- push it up somewhere, like /data/misc- adb shell, then run "flash_image recovery /data/misc/recovery.img". Reboot and re-try.You don't even need to actually run a firmware update - you just want to make sure you get the exclamation mark in recovery.

#19 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

LOL "push it up somewhere, like /data/misc." Apart from being intrinsically funny, it's amusing that we're just shoving system files around in this thing... "Ah well... that gas line might as well be next to the Electrical panel AND the dryer..."I'll try it when I get home."Exclamation mark in recovery"? Where am I looking for said exclamation mark.Mark, Wik, this may be a good line in the wiki - Fixing recovery.

#20 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

Instead of seeing the loading image you will see an android robot with a exclamation point in a triangle.