No worries I worked it out.
- Google and download Rokchip Batch Tool v1.6 and unzip it
- Switch off the tablet
- Whilst holding down Vol + plug in the tablet
- Windows should say it has detected a new device and ask for drivers
- Point it to the appropriate driver folder within the unzipped Rockship folder - Drivers loaded
Unplug the tablet.
- Download the new FW and unzip the .img file
- Launch the Rockchip Bathc Tool
- At the top browse to the location of the unzipped FW .img file
- Holding down Vol+ connect the tablet to the PC
- Rockchip Tool will see it
- Press upgrade
The FW is still 4.1.1 but does have a newer date on it. IT is isn't rooted so you need to use the Root method mentioned in another post. The FW comes with has a number of Chinese apps stuck in there which can not be deleted in the normal way...
Not sure if it my imagination, or the sun isn't shinning as brightly, but the screen seems brighter! Maybe it is wishful thinking?
Antutu now says 17708