Android Tablets Forum banner

M001 Wifi Txpower needs to be high enough to be 'heard'

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mazen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been running Relax v1.9.7 and Slatedroid Mercury. My wifi range and speed have been terrible. If I'm not sitting within 5 metres of my AP I find myself with data rates equal to dialup modem speeds. The Txpower setting was in the 20s and I think this is often too low. I've put it back to 80 and rebooted. I saw a big improvement in data rates for my downloads. OK my battery may not last as long, but I'd rather have a usable connection. The setting is in /system/etc/Wireless/RT(something)/RT(something).dat. Edit this file with a text editor (I use Root Explorer) and change the value on the Txpower line. The maximum value is 100. (I think this is "milliwatts" or thousandths of a watt)Re-boot for it to take effect. You need root access. Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

#4 ·
[quote name='jimmunsw;59370]Hi there ' date=' What is the maximum i can set if i dont mind the battery using up fast and also the heat on the back of my eken m001 ? thks n best rgds - jim [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE'] The max setting is 100.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote name='Roger Calver;59336]The txpower setting can have different effects for different people' date=' I hope this thread will generate others experiences and so we can adjust to a happy medium.[/QUOTE'] Absolutely agree. If you're sitting on top of your AP and it can hear your M001 whispering away at 0.020 of a watt.....then well done. :)I've used 5 different M001 devices and there is a significant amount of functional variation between and among them. No two are exactly alike.My black one seems to be faster than my white one. In the benchmarks I ran between Relax v1.9.7 and v1.9.8 the video performance in the black one (happened to be on Relx v1.9.7) was more than 10% better than the white one.....consistently. To remove the firmware variable i would reverse the builds on the devices and do it again.....but I have other stuff to do. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.