Samsung chip based Tablet

• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#361 kirk

kirk

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

ive got a Samsung s5pv210 tablet, anyone know how i can root it please?

#362 ablavlakas

ablavlakas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

try z4root

http://www.slatedroi...ory/8-utlities/

#363 JoeSoap

JoeSoap

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

This is a great thread which I have read front to back a number of times.

I have a Binatone Homesurf 7 which is also based on the Samsung chip and has a similar looking pcb inside it with the internal micro SD card socket in the same place as the Tablets discussed in the thread.

Using All Image, I have backed up the Homesurf Android 1.6 sd card image and installed the "Dasemesti" Android 2.1 image. Having overcome the screen calibration issue by copying across the screen calibration file, the Android 2.1 image worked well although it still needs some tweaking. So thanks Dasemesti and all the rest who have contributed to this thread.

The one thing that is puzzling me - I cannot get any of the images to work on other micro sd cards only the one out of the Homesurf. Any suggestions how I can get an image to work on another micro sd card - whether of the same or larger capacity ??
  • mylona78 likes this

#364 JoeSoap

JoeSoap

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Further to my original post -

"I have a Binatone Homesurf 7 which is also based on the Samsung chip and has a similar looking pcb inside it with the internal micro SD card socket in the same place as the Tablets discussed in the thread.

Using All Image, I have backed up the Homesurf Android 1.6 sd card image and installed the "Dasemesti" Android 2.1 image. Having overcome the screen calibration issue by copying across the screen calibration file, the Android 2.1 image worked well although it still needs some tweaking. So thanks Dasemesti and all the rest who have contributed to this thread.

The one thing that is puzzling me - I cannot get any of the images to work on other micro sd cards only the one out of the Homesurf. Any suggestions how I can get an image to work on another micro sd card - whether of the same or larger capacity ??"

Having tested the Android 2.1 download on the Homesurf 7, a few issues have been found -

1) the external SD card is not recognised.
2) the tablet crashes whenever any app tries to access the internet via WiFi.

I will be looking to see if these can be resolved.

On the subject of using other micro SD Cards to backup a working version of Android 1.6 or 2.1. This all hinges around the fact that the Bootloader and Kernel have to be located at a specific place on the SD Card as determined by its exact size and SD Cards vary in size from manufacturer to manufacturer - even when it says 2GB on the Label !

Using a HEX Editor, I have copied the block containing the Bootloader and Kernel to the correct position on a new SD Card and it works correctly - so problem solved. However, still no success using a 4 GB card as yet.

#365 ninjacul

ninjacul

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hi everyone!
Can anyone direct me to the file from Tempeleng,because i cannot download it from here: http://www.tempeleng.com/backup.7z,the link seems to be broken.

Thanks,in advance!

#366 mjmench

mjmench

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

BTW: For all those who are insterrested in getting ROOT on this device, the tested method is this (at your risk and responsibility):

1. download and unpack file: one.click.root.exploitv2.5.5.zip
2. the above file ready for systems with android 2.2, for our old android 1.6 donut you need also to get su-2.3.6.1-cd-signed.zip
3. replace unpacked files Superuser.apk and su with those from su-2.3.6.1-cd-signed.zip
4. connect your device with usb cable and start the run.bat
5. voila! test your priviledges by typing su in terminal application

Hi, may I know if this rooting procedure will work with this tablet? Its a Binatone homesurf 8. Looking at the pics at the beginning of this post it has similar model# S3C6410ZYOF & Firmware# 1.6 but different kernel version: 2.6.29-zenyu arch@myarchtp ) and Build: 800cs101204us. I have been trying to root this tablet with the once found on different forums but no luck. Thanks...

#367 dasemesti

dasemesti

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

Hi, may I know if this rooting procedure will work with this tablet? Its a Binatone homesurf 8. Looking at the pics at the beginning of this post it has similar model# S3C6410ZYOF & Firmware# 1.6 but different kernel version: 2.6.29-zenyu arch@myarchtp ) and Build: 800cs101204us. I have been trying to root this tablet with the once found on different forums but no luck. Thanks...

Yes, it should work with your tablet, because it doesnt replace the kernel, only links in a new busybox executable responsible for allowing superuser access.
Before trying better make a backup of your card image as described by JoeSoap, because the superuser access is needed also in default factory configuration for functions like wifi, mounting drives etc. So if messed up many of those will not work.
Cheers!

#368 mjmench

mjmench

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Yes, it should work with your tablet, because it doesnt replace the kernel, only links in a new busybox executable responsible for allowing superuser access.
Before trying better make a backup of your card image as described by JoeSoap, because the superuser access is needed also in default factory configuration for functions like wifi, mounting drives etc. So if messed up many of those will not work.
Cheers!

Thanks dasemesti...

#369 m_elias

m_elias

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:07 AM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to put 2.1 on my S3C6410 based tablet from ########### (china). It appears to be very similar to the devices being modded on this thread. I have cut a hole in the back of my case to allow access to the internal micro-sd card. My original sd had 2 partitions on it, I made a dd backup of it. I have tried desemesti's 2.1beta download and it only displays the clouds image. I also tried a s3c_full.img (can't remember from where i got it) and it shows "Loading Android..." but after 10 mins it's still at that screen.

Have there been any updates recently for this device? Mine has the volume buttons installed.

#370 xma

xma

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

I also ordered one from ########### and it doesnt state "g-sensor".

I read this thread and somebody mentioned that it has one but that it is not usable.
I tried to identify the ics on the board but the only ones I recognized are the main
cpu, the audio codec and of course the RAM chips. Has somebody spotted the g-sensor
on the pcb or does "lshw" give any info?

Best regards!

[edit]Okay, going back a few pages I found out that some but not all of these devices
seem to have a bma220. Here is a DS btw.: http://www.mikrocont...20-DS000-05.pdf

Edited by xma, 27 August 2011 - 09:22 AM.

#371 Col D

Col D

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

Further to my original post -

"I have a Binatone Homesurf 7 which is also based on the Samsung chip and has a similar looking pcb inside it with the internal micro SD card socket in the same place as the Tablets discussed in the thread.

The one thing that is puzzling me - I cannot get any of the images to work on other micro sd cards only the one out of the Homesurf. Any suggestions how I can get an image to work on another micro sd card - whether of the same or larger capacity ??"

Having tested the Android 2.1 download on the Homesurf 7, a few issues have been found -

1) the external SD card is not recognised.
2) the tablet crashes whenever any app tries to access the internet via WiFi.

I will be looking to see if these can be resolved.

On the subject of using other micro SD Cards to backup a working version of Android 1.6 or 2.1. This all hinges around the fact that the Bootloader and Kernel have to be located at a specific place on the SD Card as determined by its exact size and SD Cards vary in size from manufacturer to manufacturer - even when it says 2GB on the Label !

Using a HEX Editor, I have copied the block containing the Bootloader and Kernel to the correct position on a new SD Card and it works correctly - so problem solved. However, still no success using a 4 GB card as yet.

Hi All,

I have the homesurf 7 and would like to update it to 2.1. It is worth it with the issues mentioned above or does anyone know if these issues have been overcome yet?

Cheers.

#372 dasemesti

dasemesti

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to put 2.1 on my S3C6410 based tablet from ########### (china). It appears to be very similar to the devices being modded on this thread. I have cut a hole in the back of my case to allow access to the internal micro-sd card. My original sd had 2 partitions on it, I made a dd backup of it. I have tried desemesti's 2.1beta download and it only displays the clouds image. I also tried a s3c_full.img (can't remember from where i got it) and it shows "Loading Android..." but after 10 mins it's still at that screen.

Have there been any updates recently for this device? Mine has the volume buttons installed.

Hi,

Did you try to put the backup image from Tempeleng?

It's still here http://www.tempeleng.com/backup.7z

#373 m_elias

m_elias

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

Did you try to put the backup image from Tempeleng?

It's still here http://www.tempeleng.com/backup.7z

Yes, according to my notes that image boots but it shows as 1.6. I can also boot the image from this download, s3c_full_m.7z (forget where I got it, also 1.6) I also tried the 2.1 image from yourself I believe but it does not boot, it's been a while so I can't remember how far it got.

#374 Col D

Col D

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:30 AM

Hi dasemesti,

I have the homesurf 7 and using your img file it seems to be running 2.1. The strange thing is when I opened the tablet it had a 2GB SD card.

The method I used was as follows:

1. Take a backup with All Image
2. Restore your IMG file with All Image onto the card (possibly losing some storage space here as the image is of a 1GB card)
3. Boot up
4. It seems to sit on the splash screen until I hit the menu button then the desktop appears.
5. Use adb to run the screen calibration.

It seems to work fine including WiFi but it doesn't look like the screenshots you posted on page 14. In settings it shows the version as 2.1 but there is no padlock or volume sign on the main screen. Does this method sound like it should have updated successfully?

Also, has anyone had any joy getting the market installed as I can only get the chinese version on there?

Cheers,

Col

#375 dasemesti

dasemesti

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

Hi dasemesti,

I have the homesurf 7 and using your img file it seems to be running 2.1. The strange thing is when I opened the tablet it had a 2GB SD card.

The method I used was as follows:

1. Take a backup with All Image
2. Restore your IMG file with All Image onto the card (possibly losing some storage space here as the image is of a 1GB card)
3. Boot up
4. It seems to sit on the splash screen until I hit the menu button then the desktop appears.
5. Use adb to run the screen calibration.

It seems to work fine including WiFi but it doesn't look like the screenshots you posted on page 14. In settings it shows the version as 2.1 but there is no padlock or volume sign on the main screen. Does this method sound like it should have updated successfully?

Also, has anyone had any joy getting the market installed as I can only get the chinese version on there?

Cheers,

Col

Hi Col,

Yes, you are running Android 2.1. Congratulations!
I managed to install and run market using a bunch of .apk files needed, which I found somewhere. Ususally after few days it didnt want to download any more, hanged at 0%, so I had to clear google apps cache data and start over. After downloading this way what I needed I just changed my opinion and I think it just better to look up what you want and download the apk files directly, for example: http://filecrop.com

Cheers

#376 JoeSoap

JoeSoap

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hi Guys

Its good to see that there is still interest in the Homesurf 7 and that you are getting Android 2.1 to work. I have been out of the loop for a while and not tried to resolve the issues that I was having - but Col D seems to have had more success.

One issue is the continual use of the original 2GB SD card from the Homsesurf internal socket - if it fails for whatever reason, you will not get an image to work with another "2GB" SD card as the Bootloader will be in the wrong place because various brands of "2GB" cards are of slightly different size.

Here is a method of overcoming the problem. This will require the use of a HEX Editor such as HEX Workshop V6.5.

The start address where the Bootloader should be loaded is calculated as the card end address less the bootloader size - Use the MS Calculator provided with XP - it will always be of the form HEX XXXXDC00:-

Offsets in the Original Homesurf Android 1.6 2Gb ROM are as follows

Bootloader start HEX 7717DC00
Bootloader end HEX 77600000 SD Card End Address
Bootloader Size HEX 482400

Using a Samsung 2GB ROM

Bootloader start HEX 78B7DC00
Bootloader end HEX 79000000 SD Card End Address

Using another Generic 2GB ROM

Bootloader start HEX 74F7DC00
Bootloader end HEX 75400000 SD Card End Address

For any given "2GB" SD Card you can take a copy of the Bootloader from the original SD Card and load it to the correct location on the new card. From thereon, you can keep the original safe and work with the new SD Card. I am now running my Homesurf 7 using a Samsung SD Card bought from Amazon.

#377 gitface

gitface

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Hi Guys

Its good to see that there is still interest in the Homesurf 7 and that you are getting Android 2.1 to work. I have been out of the loop for a while and not tried to resolve the issues that I was having - but Col D seems to have had more success.

One issue is the continual use of the original 2GB SD card from the Homsesurf internal socket - if it fails for whatever reason, you will not get an image to work with another "2GB" SD card as the Bootloader will be in the wrong place because various brands of "2GB" cards are of slightly different size.

Here is a method of overcoming the problem. This will require the use of a HEX Editor such as HEX Workshop V6.5.
{snip}

Hi

Will this method work to expand the card to say 4GB or 8GB?

Mark..............

#378 JoeSoap

JoeSoap

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hi

I did try the method with a 4GB card but without success. I have seen somewhere that larger capacity SD cards should have a different offset but I haven't looked into this any further.

I will be interested to hear if anyone knows the answer.

JoeSoap

#379 gitface

gitface

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

Hi

I did try the method with a 4GB card but without success. I have seen somewhere that larger capacity SD cards should have a different offset but I haven't looked into this any further.

I will be interested to hear if anyone knows the answer.

JoeSoap

Thanks,

When I get the tablet up and running (need to get a new touch screen and make an extension cable) I'll have to have a play.

Mark..........

#380 mid

mid

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Has anyone been able to get TV-OUT working on dasemesti-s 2.1 android?