• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

At Clockworx suggestion, please tell me about threads to move, merge, delete, etc. here.  We have had a lot of issues with newbies reposting old issues, so this seems a good way to vent that.

#2 cutterjohn

cutterjohn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

1. Stop derailing threads? ;D

#3 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

Minor tweak, but I would definitely suggest putting a link to the Wiki in the very first post of the thread (which is yours).

#4 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

1. Stop derailing threads? ;D

My thread derailing is part of my charm... And usually peripherally related to the topic. All kidding aside, if there are particular posts of mine or anyone else's you want moved to the wall, lmk here or by pm.

#5 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

Minor tweak but I would definitely suggest putting a link to the Wiki in the very first post of the thread (which is yours).

doneasdfasdfasdf

#6 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

In an attempt to atone for messing with our tireless mod (tis the season, right) & to address some confusion from junior members, I've done a major Wiki update - which I had to completely redo cuz the FAQ/Wiki/How-To thread got hijacked./-(Anything special you think needs to be there/fixed let me know now or ... oh hell. It's a Wiki. Have at it. Sent from my slatedroid-pdn using Tapatalk

#7 derelicte

derelicte

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

how about getting rid of the stupid 10 char min for posts?

#8 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

In an attempt to atone for messing with our tireless mod (tis the season right) & to address some confusion from junior members, I've done a major Wiki update - which I had to completely redo cuz the FAQ/Wiki/How-To thread got hijacked.

How hijacked? LMK if you need a fix.

Anything special you think needs to be there/fixed let me know now or ... oh hell. It's a Wiki. Have at it.

I defer to you on the wiki. I am a firm believer that the buck has to stop somewhere, and I prefer that be with someone else... If you need help, lmk, otherwise, I named you wikimod for a reason. Govern with a firm and mostly righteous hand. Smack the bitches what needz it.

#9 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

how about getting rid of the stupid 10 char min for posts?

ask mp4asdfasdfasdfasdf:-DSeriously, that's an admin, not a mod question. It helps prevent spam, I think.

#10 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

How hijacked? LMK if you need a fix.

No worries, I fixed it. It's just when you move/change/rename a thread that is linked to the wiki, like the main FAQ thread for example, it breaks the wiki link.Now that you know that, I'll be much nicer to you so you don't get any ideas. ;-)Sent from my slatedroid-pdn using Tapatalk

#11 phd

phd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

I would suggest creating separate stickies for WIKI addition suggestions, links for sites which have apps to download directly to your computer (I created one but it got buried quickly,) and links for repositories people have created like those box sites.

#12 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Actually, I was going to start a section on installing apk's with a link to your app. Is it now a stand alone Android app or do you need windows to run it?Sent from my slatedroid-pdn using Tapatalk

#13 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

What am I saying. It's a wiki. Everyone can play. Go post a link to your installer. There's a logical place under "Available Updates and Apps Compatibility" to either post a link to your gizmo or to start a subtopic on installing apps. I haven't tried the thing cuz it looks like you need windows to run it and I don't have that kinda machine. The effort you put in making it was wholly in the spirit of what everyone's trying to do here and the installer shouldn't get lost because new discussion threads are created. That's the very reason there's a wiki for stuff like that.

#14 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Mark, be sure you police that wiki there though... if the wiki turns into a dumping ground like the board... I shudder to think. Then we'll need another wiki to clean up the wiki... Feel free to step on toes and piss people off.

#15 WIK

WIK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Speaking of the wiki, I've spent the last couple of weeks going through, updating and reorganizing it. Now half of it is missing? What gives? Was it moved to a different section or just accidentally deleted?

#16 Augus

Augus

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

Speaking of the wiki I've spent the last couple of weeks going through, updating and reorganizing it. Now half of it is missing? What gives? Was it moved to a different section or just accidentally deleted?

yeah, today wiki version is a lot different from the one i see yesterday, shorter.

#17 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

I haven't touched it... any chance it's been backed up? Maybe you could keep a backup yourself...?

#18 WIK

WIK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, it can be fixed. I'm going to restore the older main version but keep all of the changes Mark made to the hacking section today. I'll start keeping a backup for myself, too.EDIT: Ok, it's fixed. I didn't realize Mark was still editing when I did it so I missed a section of his edits at first but then went back and incorporated them back in.

#19 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

Oops, my bad. Laptop froze while editing and I accidentally wiped everything before the hacking instructions --- then we both were reinstalling the original outline at the same time. You got most of it Wik, thanks. Confused me at first, which is pretty easy actually. I fixed the links I made to my mirrors of the OEM FW zips and also wrote a couple of paragraphs in the empty Overview section which describes the PDN's initial release history, differences between the White and Black, and that we're going forward with development despite lack of source code.

#20 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

Mark be sure you police that wiki there though... if the wiki turns into a dumping ground like the board... I shudder to think. Then we'll need another wiki to clean up the wiki... Feel free to step on toes and piss people off.

True enough, but I want people to feel free to contribute. I can always edit and clean things up - much easier to do than a discussion forum. But there's no way I want to track down and incorporate every fix/app/mod as works in progress. More importantly, I'd rather be an assignment editor than everyone's copy-boy. When someone has a finished product, especially if they've posted a file on a sharing site they want distributed for general use, the Wiki is the best place they can post a link that won't get buried in a matter of hours.