500 replies to this topic

#181 GaryJS

GaryJS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

SPEMALL is shipping mine out today. They said they don't have any black models either, so they asked if I'll accept a white one instead. I said that's fine just make sure it's the 2gb ram version. You're shipping it DHL so hopefully I'll have it early next week.

Mine shipped today - I ordered 2GB BLACK and they haven't contacted me to say the one I ordered isn't black but I should find out for sure early next week (DHL delivery).

#182 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thank you smithmal. I tried to buy from one of Aliexpress site seller and when I inquired about bluetooth, she said it does not have a built-in bluetooth. Also I could not find it listed on CHwui website just to make sure. Is there a different model of v88 that does not have bluetooth? Should I go a head and buy it anyway?
Thank you

Interesting. Which vendor did you contact. Eternal team on Aliexpress indicates in their specs that the v88 has bluetooth. I've read elsewhere that it "Supports a Bluetooth 4.0 module" which is not the same thing as BT being built-in. Hopefully these units will start to arrive shortly to some of the posters on this thread for verification of this.

smithmal

ps - actually at the bottom of the ET listing in the spec table it indicates the BT is "N/A" so now I'm totally confused.
pss - according to SPEMALL the v88 does have built in BT:
Date Added:04/25/2013By tanyoDo you have white color version on stock? Also is there Bluetoothn (YES in spec, NO in other sites ?Reply: Yse, we have it in in stock for immediate shipment, and it comes with bluetooth

psss - if you REALLY NEED BT, then I would hold off until someone here can confirm it.

Edited by smithmal, 02 May 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#183 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

As for the v99 with retina display, I do not think its Chuwi's fault for it being laggy.. They're asking A LOT of that Allwinner 31 to run such a high resolution. The iPad with retina display doesn't use an enormous GPU for nothing. I'm willing to sacrifice resolution for better performance. Just even comparing v88 Antutu scores with the v99, it's clear which is going to be a better and smoother performer. I think it's like 16,000 vs 10,500? That's considerable. 10500 is a score tablets were getting a couple years ago.

Bikerboy,

I agree and disagree. I agree that housing a retina screen with a A31 quard core CPU (which is essentially a bunch of low grade A7 cores) is almost a no win situation. I disagree that Chuwi should get a "get out of jail card" b/c of the limitations of the Allwinner CPU. As a manufacturer wanting to sell high end products, its stupid and somewhat disingenuous of Chuwi to build and sell a product that the end user will have performance issues with when, due to the limitations of the A31 CPU, it probably should have never been built to begin with. Then again, this is why one should definitely do their research before purchasing one of these ChinaPads. Afterall, a car that looks like a Lamborghini, but has a Toyota Camry engine in it, is not really a Lamborghini.

However, IF I were going to get a retina screen, the GPU in the A31 is better than the RK3188 so I guess it should be the best choice. Personally, I don't think either the A31 or RK3188 is mature enough (firmware-wise) to handle the stress of a retina screen without obvious performance slowdown.

smithmal

ps - I think user on the v99 are seeing benchmarks nearer to 12,000 than 10,000.

#184 iobelika

iobelika

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

with 18k+ on antutu :D

#185 Nick1977

Nick1977

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

you guys need to read the whole thread. It does have BT, it was confirmed a long time ago.

#186 lambstone

lambstone

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

None seem to be offering built-in BT so the v88 seems to be ahead of the game in that regard. My big concern is with Chuwi itself. It's rather new in the game and seems to have a varying degree of reputation. I've been keeping tabs on the firmware development of Chuwi latest flaship: the v99 (A31 with Retina Display) and since its release in early January there have been a total of five firmware updates. My understanding with the latest firmware (baseband 2.0) the v99 still suffers from high battery drain, browser lag, camera issues, crappy wifi and possibly HDMI out issues. Fortunately there has been a lot of community ROMs development which has made the v99 perform better. Lambstone, you seem to be a big part of the v99 thread. What is your take on Chuwi so far? Both Window and Yuandao seem have created some pretty decent tablets as of late so their quality/reputation seems to be okay at the moment.

Chuwi isn't really new in the game. Its just starting to make a name in the chinese tablet industry. The chuwi v99 is not up to standards because of the A31 chip. A31 promised to be spectacular but in reality is worse that what it's supposed to be. The ONLY good part of the chip so far is the GPU. It's the best there is out there. A7 technically is supposed to have good performance and exceptionally battery life but allwinner screwed up big time.

Yes, it's true that the default chuwi v99 firmware is rubbish, but my custom roms made the V99 into a truely awesome tablet sans battery life. Wifi issues are due to the aluminium casing. The high battery drain is due to the A31 chip, a user did a test with 100% brightness and <100% and it lasted the same. This basically means the retina screen did not affect the battery life as much which can only mean that the A31 chip is shit.

As for my take on Chuwi right now, it seems like they are becoming better. I was hesitant to get the V88 at first but I saw how slim it was etc etc and most importantly it was using the RK3188. They promised 7.2mm thickness, 8h+ battery life and according to initial user impressions they delivered. As a added bonus, this is the first 8" to come with BT. Bottom line, rockchip is reliable, allwinner is not. STAY AWAY from allwiner in the immediate future.

As for the v99 with retina display, I do not think its Chuwi's fault for it being laggy................ couple years ago.

Yes, it's technically not Chuwi's fault for the flaws that the V99 is having right now. Its allwinner's fault for rushing the A31 into mass production before optimising it.

Thank you smithmal .........Should I go a head and buy it anyway?

Yes you should. The 8 hours video play back time battery life is already a deciding factor. Its hard to find tablets with such a good battery life. To find the source for this 8h claim. Look few posts up. There's BT btw, its confirmed.

Interesting. .........................

psss - if you REALLY NEED BT, then I would hold off until someone here can confirm it.

There is BT. Chuwi's official site is rubbish. They keep changing it. Originally stated with BT, then no BT, then BT again and now no BT???? Wtf. Video reviews have been done, there is BT. Chuwi's official tmall site says so too.

However, IF I were going to get a retina screen, the GPU in the A31 is better than the RK3188 so I guess it should be the best choice. Personally, I don't think either the A31 or RK3188 is mature enough (firmware-wise) to handle the stress of a retina screen without obvious performance slowdown.

Yes I agree. GPU is a huge factor. Otherwise, if we were going to follow antutu benchmarks etc we might as well go with the ATM quad core chips.
I'm hesitant to get a RK3188 retina tab because of this reason. Apparently in the coming one/two months there will be retina tabs using Exynos 5 Dual chipset which is a beast. I'm currently holding out for that.

#187 janesh

janesh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationthe netherlands

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

I am convinced, no retina with cortex A9 or lower.
For me, not a gamer and almost 65 years old, 9.4 inch and 1280*800 is more than enough, and i am loving speed. :D
On order, nothing, and am i am finished with Chinese cpu's, i prefer my exynos devices.
Favorites, in order of use, Samsung galaxy note 8 inch, Ramos W42, Ployer Momo11 quad exynos 4412.
Sold last months, PiPo U1, Teclast P85, PiPo S2, Teclast P85HD, Cube mini U30GT, Yuandao Vido N80IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero ii: very bad, Ployer Momo12, Onda V812, Yuandao Vido N80 RK3188, Teclast P88, Google Nexus 7-8Gb, PiPo M8pro RK3188, Chuwi V88 RK3188, Samsung galaxy tab 7.7, Ployer Momo8 IPS, Yuandao Window N70, BB playbook.
And: You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason: we were lazy.

#188 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Yes I agree. GPU is a huge factor. Otherwise, if we were going to follow antutu benchmarks etc we might as well go with the ATM quad core chips.
I'm hesitant to get a RK3188 retina tab because of this reason. Apparently in the coming one/two months there will be retina tabs using Exynos 5 Dual chipset which is a beast. I'm currently holding out for that.

Yeah the Exynos 5 is pretty impressive. I've think the "Big-Little" SoC design the Exynos will use on their Octa chips is a great idea combining the performance benefits of the A15 with the battery performance of the A7. I also agree that this chip's GPU looks to be a capable component to run retina like displays effectively. I believe it's performance is touted somewhere between a iPad 3 and iPad 4.

smithmal

#189 lambstone

lambstone

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

Yeah the Exynos 5 is pretty impressive. I've think the "Big-Little" SoC design the Exynos will use on their Octa chips is a great idea combining the performance benefits of the A15 with the battery performance of the A7. I also agree that this chip's GPU looks to be a capable component to run retina like displays effectively. I believe it's performance is touted somewhere between a iPad 3 and iPad 4.

smithmal

I was referring to the exynos 5 dual that is used in the nexus 10. exynos 5 octa won't appear in chinese tablets for a long time

#190 Bikerboy89

Bikerboy89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

with 18k+ on antutu :D

Yes I was very happy to see that 18045 in Antutu. That's basically showing this RK3188 has a lot of potential and it's a powerhouse. I mean that completely destroys the Nexus 7 which is less the 12000. Odd thing, I saw a 15625 score in Merimobiles review, maybe they were testing the 1GB RAM version? It's crazy though, my tablet is going to have more RAM than my PC..

As for the whole Retina screen debate. I think it falls more on the chipmaker because they advertise their Allwinner 31 to be able to handle those pixels, and it just can't. Even Apple had performance issue with their iPad 3. They didn't realize running 3,145,728 pixels requires an enormous amount of efficient processing power. In contrast, the Chuwi V88 only is having to push 768,432 pixels, with a very decent 163 PPI. That's 4 times the pixels, it's overkill. Now that being said I would've liked to see a slight bump up in the V88 resolution, the RK3188 can handle it.

#191 smithmal

smithmal

• PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

I was referring to the exynos 5 dual that is used in the nexus 10. exynos 5 octa won't appear in chinese tablets for a long time

Woops, sorry I got a bit ahead of myself. The Exynos 5 (5250) goes back to dual core infrastructure but sports the 2 x 2.0Ghz A15 plus a Mali-T604 which is 4 times faster than the Mali-400. I have heard that the Nexus 10 suffers some lag, but its believe to be more due to the kernal than the GPU. I agree, that the Exynos 5 (5250) might be the first realistic chip to use with a retina screen. In fact, it looks like it's appearance in ChinaPads has already arrived.

smithmal

#192 lambstone

lambstone

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Yes I was very happy to see that 18045 in Antutu. That's basically showing this RK3188 has a lot of potential and it's a powerhouse. I mean that completely destroys the Nexus 7 which is less the 12000. Odd thing, I saw a 15625 score in Merimobiles review, maybe they were testing the 1GB RAM version? It's crazy though, my tablet is going to have more RAM than my PC..

As for the whole Retina screen debate. I think it falls more on the chipmaker because they advertise their Allwinner 31 to be able to handle those pixels, and it just can't. Even Apple had performance issue with their iPad 3. They didn't realize running 3,145,728 pixels requires an enormous amount of efficient processing power. In contrast, the Chuwi V88 only is having to push 768,432 pixels, with a very decent 163 PPI. That's 4 times the pixels, it's overkill. Now that being said I would've liked to see a slight bump up in the V88 resolution, the RK3188 can handle it.

Antutu is rubbish. It's just for geek-gasms. They do not accurately reflect real life performance. I have successfully made the Chuwi V99 A31 retina tab from something sluggish to something great sans battery life.

Woops, sorry I got a bit ahead of myself. The Exynos 5 (5250) goes back to dual core infrastructure but sports the 2 x 2.0Ghz A15 plus a Mali-T604 which is 4 times faster than the Mali-400. I have heard that the Nexus 10 suffers some lag, but its believe to be more due to the kernal than the GPU. I agree, that the Exynos 5 (5250) might be the first realistic chip to use with a retina screen. In fact, it looks like it's appearance in ChinaPads has already arrived.

smithmal

Yeah but the nex10 has a >retina resolution. It should be fine with just retina. Yeah. apparently the freelander is coming out end of the month i think. but chinese manufacturers. delays expected.

#193 Bikerboy89

Bikerboy89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

They need to quit focusing so much on 10 inch tablets and put a FULL HD display in an 8inch, something like the v88 size with full hd and the exynos 5250. It would be quite incredible. I feel like the power of the Mali 604 is just wasted in the Nexus 10...who needs 2560x1900 resolution in a 10 inch screen?

#194 yjeep93

yjeep93

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

I can't order the V88 from Aliexpress because I live in WA state. Not to happy about that as Eternal Team appears to be having a sale right now. Can you guys recommend another "good" site to order from?

#195 sunin

sunin

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Apparently, CHWUI V88 1G model does not has built-in BT, but 2G does.

#196 lambstone

lambstone

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

They need to quit focusing so much on 10 inch tablets and put a FULL HD display in an 8inch, something like the v88 size with full hd and the exynos 5250. It would be quite incredible. I feel like the power of the Mali 604 is just wasted in the Nexus 10...who needs 2560x1900 resolution in a 10 inch screen?

Yes. In an ideal world, our tablets would also serve as robot butlers.

How is the Mali604 wasted on the Nexus 10? You do know that statement is strikingly similar to saying something like "Who needs a 600BHP engine in a Ferrari. They should put one in a Toyota Corolla."

Apparently, CHWUI V88 1G model does not has built-in BT, but 2G does.

Eh? So the $20-$30 odd difference in price accounts for both 1Gb ram difference and BT? Hm.....

#197 Empyrean

Empyrean

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I can't order the V88 from Aliexpress because I live in WA state. Not to happy about that as Eternal Team appears to be having a sale right now. Can you guys recommend another "good" site to order from?

I live in Vancouver (Canada) and get my goods shipped to Washington as well (that way I avoid the crazy import taxes and sometimes have to pay basic sales tax at the border) and I opted for Merimobile.

They have mostly good reviews online and so far my own experience with them has been relatively painless. I ordered my unit around the 25th of April and so it got shipped out on the 29th (there was a weekend in between). I'll let you know when it arrives or I get more details with the tracking info so you can gauge their turnaround time.

#198 Drambuie

Drambuie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

Update:

Just got a confirmation email with the tracking number from Aliexpress that my Chuwi from ETeam has been shipped!

Fingers crossed its really 2GB RAM and with no problems! :D

#199 Bikerboy89

Bikerboy89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Deal$ Prime reviews:

16500 Antutu score..

Mine has been shipped form SPEmall, with DHL tracking info.

#200 iobelika

iobelika

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Deal$ Prime reviews:

16500 Antutu score..

Mine has been shipped form SPEmall, with DHL tracking info.

and he didn't even close the running apps before the test

Edited by iobelika, 04 May 2013 - 11:42 AM.