Android Tablets Forum banner

Alternate WPDN firmware: Cruz Reader UI mod (latest update is 2.2.0, 01/11/11)

306K views 2K replies 187 participants last post by  dunno 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
NOTE: This is presented "as-is" -- please USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you have any issues with this upgrade, you should be able to re-flash back to stock to get back to a stable baseline. The last few revisions seem stable during the installation process, but as always YMMV. Also, these mods WILL WIPE USER DATA, so be aware of that.

Starting with beta 1.3, the SD cards are now switched (fitting with VM standards). That means that the internal card is now /sdcard, please be aware of that.

Full update ZIP's (choose one, depending on what you need):

CruzN 2.2.0, no Gapps: http://www.mediafire.com/?clclwtf14faonhi
md5sum: 5570d93208205079d3431228765a5e1c
(updated 01/11/2011)

CruzN 2.2.0, with Gapps: http://www.mediafire.com/?e616ey7aged5qcs
md5sum: a9b8d02a30c0da8fa17ce632563b1600
(updated 01/11/2011)

--------------------------------

Changelog for 2.2.0:

- Busybox / root fixed. Titanium Backup works now (and is even included as an app)
- Base changed. Almost identical to Gapps version, except that it does not include Gapps
- adhoc wireless networks are now viewable. Testers needed to verify that it works, however
- Updated the user apps from the last release
- Added the Spica driver updates, as well as the ARM11 optimized DVM w/ JIT change
- (Gapps version) Added back the OLD Market Vending apk. This ensures that the Market will work when first setup, but with a caveat (see "Issues" below)

Quick video of the UI in action: YouTube - Pandigital Cruz Reader

------------------------------------------------------------------
What this is:

A full firmware update for the white Pandigital Novel (all versions, tmk) that will update the UI to the Velocity Micro Cruz. This makes the following changes to the stock device:

- Changes the device name to "slatedroid-cruzn". Better than the default "sec_smdk6410", imo.
- Android Market (non-ugly hack. Just configure your Google ID and it "just works"). Many thanks to clockworx for this hack!
- Portrait mode (by default). Certain applications seem to prefer this configuration
- Cruz soft buttons. Volume keys are now used for their original purpose
- Several built-in applications added like Aldiko, Kindle app, Facebook (you can delete them, if you don't use them)
- CPU max frequency of 800Mhz is retained (different than the full Cruz firmware)
- WiFi is constantly on, even while in sleep mode (this is the Cruz default). What that means is instant WiFi after sleep, at the cost of reduced battery life. Other than that, it is similar to stock (which is good and bad)

What this is NOT:

- A replacement / upgraded UI for actual Cruz devices. I have never tested it there and I would not recommend attempting it. You could brick the device.
- A complete transformation from the PDN to Cruz firmware. Some things on the Cruz may not work here and the kernel / bootloader are still the PDN defaults. Consider this a "hybrid" of the two firmwares. From a USB point of view, I believe that the device should still use the original PDN vendor ID.

Instructions:

- Download the above ZIP file, and place it on the root of your SD card.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode (holding power and volume up keys). Should take about 1 minute for the upgrade to complete. Then it will reboot.
- After the first reboot: Choose "com.android.sdksetup.DefaultActivity", and then choose "Home" if needed. Wait about 30 seconds for the UI to stabilize this first time. You also might need to rotate the device to landscape to get the soft buttons working,
- Calibrate the device immediately! This is risky because you might lose the touchscreen if you're not careful. But, if it's successful it should improve the touchscreen significantly. To calibrate the device:

Get to Settings -- Language and Keyboard. If the soft buttons are giving you a hard time, just use the Settings app in the drop down menu
Once in the settings area, choose "Touch Calibration"
Calibrate 1 through 4, then 5, and then touch the screen to exit. Do NOT use the home or back buttons until you close the tool completely.
And do NOT leave this tool until you have successfully calibrated the device. If you don't do this and close the tool, the calibration will be completely borked and you'll need to re-flash. The app is a real PITN, so be warned - I would recommend using a stylus to get through it versus your finger.
- (for the Market). Update your language / locale in Settings -- Language & Keyboard -- Select Locale. If you don't do this, you might see a lot of non-English apps in the Market.
- Optional, but I recommend this: Clear out all your update ZIP files on internal and external SD, and attempt to re-flash. You should get the exclamation point (that's good). If you just get a blank screen, your recovery is hosed and needs to be fixed. I mention this because this has happened to me at least twice - granted, I must have flashed my PDN at least 50 times, now.

Known Issues:

- The calibration is a hack, for all intents and purposes (see above). Once set, you should be fine. But, if you wipe /data later for some reason, you will bork the calibration which will require a reflash.
- WiFi is still spotty, with some disconnects. A real Cruz device has the same issues, so it's the way it is, unfortunately.
- Choppy video / audio playback. This is the case with stock firmware also. My only suggestion is to use something like "Advanced Task Killer" to remove unneeded apps from memory. It seems to help a little.
- Lack of 270 degree rotation. The is a Cruz UI limitation that the devs here have not been able to correct, yet. Do NOT use the PDN rotation hack on this mod, as it will not work and you might need to re-flash.
- Status Bar is stuck in Eastern time. This is confirmed to be a Cruz bug that they have yet to address.
- Exclamation point during flashing. Try renaming the ZIP to "PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip" and re-try - that usually fixes this problem.
- The Gapps version has a recent issue (as of Jan 2011) where Google is updating the app and breaking the "non-ugly" fix and thus breaking the app completely with a "Network Error". A short-term fix is to go into Settings -- Applications -- Manage Applications and uninstall the Market update. The way to "fix" this long-term, as per my testing, is to do as follows:
1- On a newly flashed 2.2.0 system, click on the Market and add your Google ID.
2- (Critical!!) Run the Market immediately, accept the TOS and download any free app ASAP. You want to do this BEFORE the Market update runs, usually within a few minutes.
3- The new Market update should work, from this point on. The key is that first free app install - it seems to make the non-ugly hack "stick".
- Kindle app is broken in 2.2.0, due to the JIT change I added. If you want to remove the JIT change before flashing, it's fairly easy. Instructions:
1- Open the ZIP file the program of your choosing.
2- Delete this file, in the ZIP: systemapplibdvm.so. Then, re-save the ZIP.
3- Flash the ZIP as you normally would. Kindle app should now work, but you won't have the benefits of the JIT change.

=======================================

ARCHIVED VERSIONS

Beta 2.1.0 (Cruz base only, no GE, user data wipe): SD_CRUZPDN_2_10_BASE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: ec8603ceb56cac56fa76a9e6b38ef81b

Beta 2.1.0 (Gapps): SD_CRUZPDN_2_10_GE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: 26bb3fbd22b16d4f9a52ba1f5224fc1b

Supplement for 2.1.0: SD_CRUZPDN_SUPP13_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: 07107fe3ac18edef6730da62aea95a25

Beta 2.0.0 (full GE, user data wipe): SD_CRUZPDN_2_0_GE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

Beta 2.0.1 (Cruz base only, no GE, user data wipe, better recovery): SD_CRUZPDN_2_01_BASE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

Changelog for 2.1.0:

- Same modular format, base and GE versions. v2 board tested by myself, with other users testing v1 boards.
- Based off new Cruz 10/12 firmware, which fixes the SSID space issue and now allows for hidden SSID's to be used.
- (GE only) Added Ubuntu font and the other 1.1 supplemental changes to the mod.
- (GE only) Added WinHelp2002 hosts file entries, mainly to block ads.

Changelog for 2.0:

- 2.0 revision due to new PDN 9/23 kernel / bootloader and new Cruz 9/25 UI base.

Changelog for 1.3:

- Destructive version only, for stability reasons.
- Modular design implemented. There is now a base vanilla Cruz version (no GE, no alterations) and a GE build.
- /sdcard is now the internal card. needed to allow mount/unmounts to properly function.
- Full GE, in the GE version. This includes Gmail.
- Additional third-party applications added in the GE build, and some Cruz apps removed (the Cruz apps are unaltered, in the base build).
- Most of the PDN apps were NOT added back, as they just don't work well (especially now that /PD_Novel is gone). The video player is the only leftover, and it will only work on /sdcard.
- New ZIP naming standard.

Changelog for 1.2 : Destructive versions only., Slatedroid logo removed, added bootloader / kernel / recovery wipe. Permissions issues should be corrected, and GE lite was redone from scratch.
Changelog for 1.1 : Installation is unstable for some (infinite reboots), use with caution. Not GE lite, as opposed to 1.2.
Changelog for 1.0 : First beta, required different versions for v1 and v2 boards. Subsequently fixed[/SIZE]

-----------------------------------------------------------

List of added files in the ZIP's, and what they are for (reference to make your own mod):

META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script. This is the updater script. It has all the file DELETES. So, if you want to keep OfficeSuite_Full_1.5_230.apk, you'd delete that particular line. But don't delete this entire file, or else the updater won't run at all.

/system/App/PD*.apk. The old PDN stock files, like music and Settings.
/bin/wpa_supplicant. This is the ad-hoc friendly supplicant.
/etc/hosts. This is the "ad-free" hosts file.
/fonts/*. These are the two Ubuntu fonts.
/lib/egl. These are the Spica video driver updates.
/lib/libdvm.so. This is the enhanced JIT file which has some problems with the Kindle app.
/xbin/*. Root and Busybox.
build.prop. This is the main config file for Android. You probably want to leave that one alone unless you know what you're doing. ;)

/data/new_tsc. This is the calibration file. Don't delete this one!
/data/app. These are the included user apps. Add to them, delete them. It's all up to you.

Gapps version

Everything of importance is under /system/app. The more critical ones you'll care about are:

GenieWidget.apk. News and Weather
Gmail.apk. Self-explanatory
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk. Sync
googlevoice.apk. Self-Explanatory
gtalkservice.apk. Self-Explanatory
Maps.apk. Self-Explanatory
Vending.apk. This is the main Market file.

Also, /framework/framework.jar is where the "non-ugly" hack resides.

-------------------------------------------------------

Links and references:

Ad-hoc supplicant: http://szym.net/2010/12/adhoc-wifi-in-android/
Spica Driver update: http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=13728.msg109173#msg109173
JIT enhancement: http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/arm11-optimized-dvm-w-jit/

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've had the calibration flake out on me at least once - just be aware of that. It's almost like the settings get lost for a few minutes. You'll know if it happens to you because the touchscreen will go all wonky. :(EDIT: If this happens to you, try rotating it -- that just fixed it for me. Seems to occur after a hard reset.EDIT2: The WiFi is definitely broken as the permissions are all screwy. I'm re-doing the image now, will test, and will re-post. Btw, the first app I'm going to test is Aldiko, with probably Pandora and Facebook tomorrow. ACV Comic Viewer is not working and I need to figure that one out -- it's one of my "must-have" apps.

#4 ·
Both Facebook and Aldiko worked for me. Although I had to reboot after installing Aldiko before I could import books, it kept saying that there are no files on the SDcard. Wifi seems to be working great now too. LOVING the soft buttons. I'm trying to ween myself off of using the volume keys.

#5 ·
I think I will try the same - I figure that a few days of using them and I might eventually ween myself off. I'd like to eventually get my volume buttons back!I'm adding apps as I test them, in my top post. Just found a fix for ACV.

#6 ·
I tested a video in mVideoplayer and it played smooth but the screen would not rotate to landscape no matter which settings I chose. The video also played smooth in PDMediaPlay_Video and was fine in landscape mode. The market is still doing the "server is unavailable" thing but it'll probably work tomorrow. Signing off for the night, I'll play with it more tomorrow. Awesome Job!

#7 ·
[quote name='thewhiteboy;56735]I tested a video in mVideoplayer and it played smooth but the screen would not rotate to landscape no matter which settings I chose. The video also played smooth in PDMediaPlay_Video and was fine in landscape mode. The market is still doing the "server is unavailable" thing but it'll probably work tomorrow. Signing off for the night' date=' I'll play with it more tomorrow. Awesome Job![/QUOTE']Man, you and I are testing the same things at the same time - that's scary.I just re-tested mvideoplayer. Looks like Portrait / Landscape is reversed, in the settings. Try to force Portrait and it should go to Landscape - that might also work for Aldiko (I like to force Portrait for reading).Hitting the sack - more fun with this, tomorrow.

#9 ·
[quote name='roebeet;56732]I think I will try the same - I figure that a few days of using them and I might eventually ween myself off. I'd like to eventually get my volume buttons back![/QUOTE] I too would love to get my volume buttons back' date=' but without this button hack how would we get out of a full-screen app like YouTube (before a clip is finished)?(I raised this same point in the [url']http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-modding/7072-what-about-adding-two-more-hw-buttons-case-board.html#post56674[/url] thread; apologies if this is deemed as spamming...)

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Market is working for me - had to use the "ugly" hack. I had expected that.If clockworx has the time to rip open the Cruz framework and add the non-ugly hack, I'd certainly add that to a future build. :)Also, I will probably pull the volume hack in a future build. I want to to make sure all my apps work first. I think that the status bar shows up if you tap, or if you swipe down from the top. ACV, for example, works this way.

#12 ·
[quote name='roebeet;56985]If clockworx has the time to rip open the Cruz framework and add the non-ugly hack' date=' I'd certainly add that to a future build. [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE']Way ahead of you :)Also trying to fix rotation and seeing if I can make touchscreen work after a data wipe by using PD's files for Touchscreen

#13 ·
Thanks! Right now, that /data/new_tsc is what controls calibration. I don't know if there's a way around that or not.Btw, do NOT go into the Calibration tool unless you have to. If you do by mistake, you HAVE to re-calibrate before getting out - if you don't, your new_tsc file gets wiped and the touchscreen will become useless. Just a warning.

#14 ·
[quote name='hello-world;56813]I too would love to get my volume buttons back' date=' but without this button hack how would we get out of a full-screen app like YouTube (before a clip is finished)?[/QUOTE'] Possibly displaying my ignorance here, but shouldn't be possible to set the parameters of what a full-screen display is and make all apps think the full-screen area is just less than the onscreen buttons?--bornagainpenguinPS: Thanks to everyone making a go at using this alternate firmware! I really wish it were possible to get an official response from Velocity Micro and see if they intend to be more consumer friendly than Pandigital has been. If so I'd even consider taking my PDN back and buying a Cruz just to show my support to a company that gets it. gotta support those who support you, you know?

#15 ·
@bornagainpenguin - that thought had occurred to me last night, as I was building this out. But so far, I don't seem them as very pro-active either. The have a Facebook page that they haven't manned (I have my questions up there) and their marketing material is clearly wrong, at least with WMA tmk. They are adding support hub updates, so points for that. If they have a presence here and release their source code, then I might consider a purchase to support them.

#17 ·
They need to get their price back to reality. IF they support the thing better, and IF their tablet comes out less "iffy" I would consider getting a VMC. I MIGHT pay $150 if all those conditions were met. MAYBE. $200 plus? Not a chance.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote name='clockworx;57055]Ok' date=' so in my effort to figure this out....how does new_tsc get there in the first place? Is that something you added, or is it part of the default firmware (and if it is, why doesn't it regenerate when you wipe data)?[/QUOTE'] Their calibration tool (in their launcher settings area) seems to create it. logcat pointed me to it when I tried touching the screen the first time, one of the services complained that it wasn't there.I'm wondering if the vanilla calibration just works "good enough" on the Cruz, and this is really only needed as an option. I've already noticed some strange things with Portrait / Landscape being mixed up so I'm thinking that Portrait is the Cruz's "default" state versus Landscape on the Novel. Not sure where that would be set -- kernel? framework? hardware?The other thing I noticed is that, after a hard reset, I HAVE to rotate the screen or else the calibration is all messed up. I think this is all related.

#19 ·
lawman;57058 said:
... I MIGHT pay $150 if all those conditions were met. MAYBE. $200 plus? Not a chance.
Admit it, if they sold it a Kohl's with all their giveaways/coupons/rebates/price-matching bringing it down to $149.99, you'd be in line to get one tomorrow ... hack it with a rotation fix Clockworx and Roebeet will probably figure out by the weekend ... load it up with apps ... and sell it at a profit to your 2nd cousin's brother-in-law (who nobody really likes anyway) by next Monday.Actually that sounds like a plan. I really can't stand my cousin's brother-in-law.

#23 ·
This "seminal" picture http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigita...-cruz-reader-specs-seem-keep-changing-24.html tells me something else: PDN has it upside down, still, with PDN's fw, or Cruz's, doesn't matter.Consider it OT all you want, but my guess is the LCD panel of PDN went into its case topsy turvy, probably because of the too short a lenghth of that flexy cable and/or inability to flatten the twist of it.Can we -- at last -- try this hack: instead of (probably implicit) "0,0 0,800 600,0 600,800" panel description use "upside-down" explicit description "600,0 600,800 0,0 0,800" somewhere in init/boot scripts?I can foresee a big relief in YouTube app, all other video/media player starting in the _correct_ orientation and NOT FC'ing?Of course, this Cruz mod might have booted in _correct_ way, then I don't understand the need to turn it upside down in the stock cradle.Thank you

#24 ·
[quote name='roebeet;57018]@bornagainpenguin - that thought had occurred to me last night' date=' as I was building this out. But so far, I don't seem them as very pro-active either. The have a Facebook page that they haven't manned (I have my questions up there) and their marketing material is clearly wrong, at least with WMA tmk. They are adding support hub updates, so points for that. If they have a presence here and release their source code, then I might consider a purchase to support them.[/QUOTE'] VM has next to nothing for online support. Makes Pandigital look like it has it's act together. Any of the Cruz documentation is pretty much buried, no dedicated page. They tout their wonderful support all over their webpages but it doesn't translate into anything that is easy access on the web. I don't know, maybe they plan to do all their support over the phone. Border's site with the Cruz link has a lot more information in it than Velocity Micro's does. Just based on what I've seen so far, I wouldn't go near it--especially in light of the much better return policies that places like Kohl's and BBB have compared to Borders or another online vendor. VM, if anyone bothers to read this, roll all of your support into your cruzreader.com site. This should have all been done long before you ever launched.

#25 ·
Ugh, this stupid thing. I have no idea how they screwed up calibration so badly, and I'm curious if doing a factory reset would break a Cruz Reader. It doesn't seem to be taking to rotation, either.I'm tempted to start by moving stuff to PD's framework from VM, rather than the other way around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.