Android Tablets Forum banner

Read this first!!! Firmware, YouTube, Market, Touchscreen etc...

56K views 76 replies 30 participants last post by  nig-27 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do not start changing your firmware unless you know what you are doing!

If you have a new machine, you most likely already have the latest firmware available. Edit: 2011-08-28

Before you do any major changes to your tablet make sure that you really know which model you're working with. Installing applications will not hurt your tablet but installing the wrong firmware most likely will.

Firmware
The different firmwares that you'll find here on the site are almost all specific for a certain tablet model. That means that you can not use one firmware made for for example the Eken M001 for your M70003 machine. At least not without getting into trouble.

The latest official firmware version as per December 2010 for the M70003 at hand for download was 1.6 with build 1.7.4 which you can download at RapidShare or Storegate.

The tablet has been shipped with firmware 1.6 and build build 2.1 but several users have got their M70003's bricked when upgrading to this version. It is unclear why this firmware has caused this problem. So be aware of that upgrades can be risky.

Youtube
If you have problems getting Youtube to work go to Apps Store and search for Youtube. You'll get two hits: Youtube Support Package of 137KB and the Youtube application of 8KB.

Install the support application first and then the Youtube app. That should make Youtube work.

Market
The Android Market (Market) does not work on many tablets at first glance but there are ways of fixing it.

The easiest and most secure way is to register at Apps Store and to clear the cache of the Market before you use it. That did the trick for me. I only had to do it once and Android Market has worked without problems since.

The first step is to go to "Apps Store" and register as a user. Once this is done you can try to download something from the "Market". If download does not work you go to the main menu and "Setting", "Programs", "Edit programs" or what ever it is called in English or your language and there you'll find "Market". Clear the cache. Once this is done you should be able to download applications from the Android Market. I believe that you have to have a working Google/Gmail account as well in order for "Market" to work.

Should the above not work, there is another more complicated way to get the Android Market working and that is to get yourself a new AndroidID. The following tutorial is for Android machines in general and shouls work for the M70003, but you try it at your own risk: http://www.slatedroid.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fix_Market_For_Slates

Touchscreen
If you find that your touchscreen is slow and inaccurate start by calibrating it with a thin object of some sort (pencil perhaps). But make sure that the pointy end is not sharp or you will damage the screen.

Root access
If you want to control your tablet better and in order to create a swap file, which will speed up the tablet, you need to get root access to the system. You can read more about root access here: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

Here's a tip on how to easily root your tablet:

Download the following zip
Code: m70003_root_by_hantrun.7z

Copy the su folder contents into your /script folder (the one you used to change the firmware) - overwrite everything it asks.

Reboot the pad - you'll see notification of rooting!

Delete script folder

Swap file
In order to increase speed on your tablet you can create a swap file on your SD-card. First however you will have to get root access to the tablet. After that you can install Swapper 2 which you'll find at Android Market and create a swap file with that application.

Check your tablet model
The M70003 is normally easy to recognize by the ports on the side:

----------
Any improvements to the above are most welcome!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey, I got my m70003 in the post a couple of days ago. My details say Model number: GenericFirmware version: 1.6Kernel version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirtyBuild number: 1.9Does this mean what i already have on here, is the same as the one posted above? or is the one on posted here better?Also, what exactly is a swap file? Will it speed it up? Is there a step by step guide on how to do all these things. I dont want a accidenly mess my new toy up. :)Oh and one more question.. Do you know what size micro sd card it will take. 16gb? 32gb?Thankyou

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Detraehi: Your tablet has already got a later version of the firmware than you can download here, so there's no need to change. :)A swap file is a file that allows an operating system to use hard disk space to simulate extra memory. It will speed your tablet up since it has both little memory and a fairly slow processor.I don't remember the maximum size for your SD card but I think it's in the manual. I'll have a look later.

#6 ·
Detraehi;58679 said:
Is it easy to create a swap file?
It should be. Just root and install Swapper 2. Then try out different sizes for the swap file. Give it 128MB. That ought to be enough. No one has reported problems with this so far. :)But. Personally I haven't tried it. Still struggling to get webcam to work.

#7 ·
Hello,i buy yestarday my M70003 and i try to understend how i do it work with youtube.All the other application working very nice.can someone explain please step by step how i fix it for youtube?and if its possible post the links also because i didnt found the youtube application and the youtube support package.Thanks a lot for your help!

#8 ·
[quote name='Yorgoskos;65729]Hello' date='i buy yestarday my M70003 and i try to understend how i do it work with youtube.All the other application working very nice.can someone explain please step by step how i fix it for youtube?and if its possible post the links also because i didnt found the youtube application and the youtube support package.[/QUOTE'] Don't you have Apps Store in your tablet? If you do, you'll find the Youtube support package there together with the Youtube application.If you don't have Apps Store you can try downloading the apps here: Youtube - Downloads - SlateDroid - The BIGGEST Android Tablet Forum on the Web!

#9 ·
Labovski;65900]Don said:
Youtube - Downloads - SlateDroid - The BIGGEST Android Tablet Forum on the Web![/url]
Hello again,thanks for your help labovski,i downloaded from the link you sended me and i unzip it on my computer and then i pass it to M70003 SD card..when i click on the files to instal one message tells me " Missing ID ,No ID passed with URI".can you please explain me step by step because im very new with all this how i fix this...or if i need to install something else before how i do itand some link of the extra program...Thanks a lot for your help!!

#12 ·
[quote name='Yorgoskos;66183]thanks for your help labovski' date='i downloaded from the link you sended me and i unzip it on my computer and then i pass it to M70003 SD card..when i click on the files to instal one message tells me " Missing ID ,No ID passed with URI".[/QUOTE'] I don't know why you get a zip-file when you download the file. I get a file called YouTube(3).apk What kind of OS do you have on your computer? Mac? Vista? Anyhow, try with renaming the file from .zip into .apk and install it! That should work.

#16 ·
Help please - I followed your instructions to root tablet - BUT - when I reboot I get 3 lines of text:

update.sh runner by rizapn ....

Injecting kernel to the RAM !
Injecting linuxrc to the RAM !

And tablet just sits ther - will not go any further .... I dont know what to do now ???

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Could someone please help me in creating the swap?

I received the device yesterday and since then have been struggling to enable the swap as the device is very slow.

I downloaded the swapper2.apk from the internet and installed it on my M70003.

everytime I run it I get the error as in the attachment.

swappiness is set to 60 and swap size is 128MB. I have tried all the size limits upto 256 but it always fails.

I have searched the forums but could not get the right answers.

I am using a 8GB card in the Tab. It has been rooted.

#19 ·
Thanks gingerdude for trying to assist me.

the swap location on mine also is on the memory card as ***.swp

I even tried to create the .swp file manually on the sdcard, but could not create the mmcblk0p3 file in the /dev/block/ location.

any help would be much appreciable.

linux has not been my expertise hence i am failing to understand this concepts.

#20 ·
hmmmm if swapper2 isnt working why dont u try the original "swapper.apk" think this is still available from market if not def available on line, only suggest this as on one of the custom roms i tried i couldnt get swapper2 working but swapper did. If that dont do it i'm completely out of ideas. 

#22 ·
Hi All,

I successfully (I think) managed to root, seeing the following text:

"update.sh runner by rizpan ....

Injecting kernel to the RAM !
Injecting linuxrc to the RAM !"

I noticed a few problems that I had not noticed before:

Tablet screen will not rotate from Portrait to Landscape or vice versa
More important - WiFi is still not functioning, I think this is a problem of WPA2 vs WPA.

Is there up to date firmware that can be downloaded? It is now late December so this has been 'out there' for almost 4-5 months. Has someone found a solution?

#23 ·
I did not know about the existence of your site, because a mistake.
I have the tablet M70003, put it on the firmware eken - start up and running fairly quickly, but not working tach (controlled by mouse only), tried to put the native firmware with the card does not boot (tried a bunch of charts, formatting, different firmware, the result - 0) tried to put the 2.0 firmware at boot time comes to "1 second remaining, and everything hangs
Question
1. Is there any way you can run the new firmware
2. Can I substitute driver stitch from the native firmware
3. Is it possible to completely reformat your system
And generally how to revive?

#24 ·
Ur is a solution!
And so the firmware is the file "rescriptcmd-128M" it should be renamed "rescriptcmd" and everything gets new firmware
Since the beginning will not work tach, do not worry. You now need to put the usual firmware without any changes.
Sorry for my english, I'm just out of Russia.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.