Photo

[ROM - 3.10] BETA_ParanoidAndroid - Team DRH ( 03/14/13)

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 redeyedjedi

redeyedjedi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMcQueeney,TX

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Posted Image
CLICK PIC FOR TEAM HOMEPAGE

TeamDRH (Dirty Reset Hole) presents the initial public beta of ParanoidAndroid 3.10 (Jelly Bean) for the G-tab
This new rom is the "stock" Paranoid Android experience

#include <DRH_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Do you know what DRH is?
 * Yes? --> Flash away
 * No?  --> Go back to stock TnT
 */

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

HOW TO INSTALL

**** IF you are already on cm10.1, all you have to do is copy the rom over, and then wipe data/factory reset, then install it.
If you are not yet on cm10.1, then you need to follow the next few steps. Otherwise, flash the rom then skip down to the "first boot setup procedure"

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this process, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device. You agree that only you are responsible and no one else is responsible for supporting you if that occurs. BUT, we will try and help you get out of trouble, but you have to let us know. ;-) Please note that this process WILL DELETE ALL OF THE CURRENT DATA on your gTablet. Be sure to have a reliable Titanium Backup copied to another media.

UPDATED NVFLASH: http://www.teamdrh.c...VFLASH_2013.zip

Windows Users Only.

• Make sure your BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED. Push and hold Power button and Volume- (down) keys at same time. The screen should go blank and you will hear an audible connection sound on PC if successful. XP Users - Go to your Control Panel, double-click System, click Hardware tab, and then Device Manager. Windows 7 Users - Go to your Control Panel, click System, select Device Manager link on left window panel. Under USB devices you should see the Nvidia device in the list registered without yellow exclamation mark.
  • Open the folder created from the zip extraction and find the file 'NVFlash_gTablet.bat' and double-click. A command window will open. Watch the new command window to follow the NVFlash process. You should see partitions being created and partition images installing. If everything completes as designed, the tablet will restart on its own and auto-boot into recovery.
  • The first thing you will see in the new recovery is 5 errors. Ignore them for now; they are because the cache partition has not been created yet. Scroll down to "advanced" and swipe right (to select). Scroll down to "partition internal storage" and swipe right 3 times. This will set up the NEEDED partition structure for the G-Tablet.
  • This next part can be done two separate ways:
    The first way is via the external sd-card. Make sure your external sd-card is inserted in tablet and then go to "mounts and storage" / "mount usb storage." Take the ROM .ZIP copy that file to the mounted drive. Eject the mounted drive on your computer and back out to the main menu. From there "install zip from sdcard" and then "choose zip from external sdcard." Browse to the location of the rom and launch the install.

###################################################################################################
    *******CANNOT CURRENTLY SIDELOAD THIS ROM, ILL WILL TRY TO GET THIS SETUP FOR YOU, OOPS!! *********
    ###################################################################################################

The second way is via adb sideload (for those that don't have external sd-card). To install, ADB drivers must be installed first. If on Windows 8 follow this thread to reboot with driver signatures disabled. http://tinyurl.com/b2ukmwu If you are on 7 or lower you can enter control panel and right click on Malata/Unknown Device and browse for driver. Select the android_winusb.inf file located in "NEW_NVFLASH/WINDOWS_DRIVERS/ADB." Once the driver is installed it will be available even through rebooting. After the driver is installed in recovery select "install zip from sideload" and wait about 20 seconds before running the "run_me.bat" file. If all goes well you will see the command prompt box "pushing" the rom to the tablet. If the command prompt box goes away very quickly long press power on your tablet to turn it off and boot back into recovery again. Then reselect "install zip from sideload" and attempt it again. When the rom finishes pushing to your tablet it will auto-launch the installer.
  • After the ROM is installed power off the tablet and go through the initial first boot. It normally takes around 5min for the first boot and about 30 seconds each boot after-the-fact. Remember as always a bake in period always helps as the tablet is still setting itself up and installing apps. Enjoy!

Linux Users Only.

If a script is giving you "access denied" make sure you give it "execute" permissions. You should use the sudo (root) command with the scripts to make sure everything goes correctly.

• Make sure your BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED. Push and hold Power button and Volume- (down) keys at same time. The screen should go blank.
  • Open the folder created from the zip extraction and find the file 'nvflash_gTablet.sh' and double-click. A command window will open and click run in terminal. When prompted for sudo password enter it. Watch the new command window to follow the NVFlash process. You should see partitions being created and partition images installing. If everything completes as designed, the tablet will restart on its own and auto-boot into recovery.
  • The first thing you will see in the new recovery is 5 errors. Ignore them for now; they are because the cache partition has not been created yet. Scroll down to "advanced" and swipe right (to select). Scroll down to "partition internal storage" and swipe right 3 times. This will set up the NEEDED partition structure for the G-Tablet.
  • This next part can be done two separate ways:
    The first way is via the external sd-card. Make sure your external sd-card is inserted in tablet and then go to "mounts and storage" / "mount usb storage." Copy the ROM.zip over to the mounted drive. Eject the mounted drive on your computer and back out to the main menu. From there "install zip from sdcard" and then "choose zip from external sdcard." Browse to the location of the rom and launch the install.

*******CANNOT CURRENTLY SIDELOAD THIS ROM, ILL WILL TRY TO GET THIS SETUP FOR YOU, OOPS!! *********
    The second way is via adb sideload (for those that don't have external sd-card). To install, ADB drivers must be installed first. In recovery select "install zip from sideload" and wait about 20 seconds before running the "run_me.sh" file. If all goes well you will see the command prompt box "pushing" the rom to the tablet. If the command prompt box goes away very quickly long press power on your tablet to turn it off and boot back into recovery again. Then reselect "install zip from sideload" and attempt it again. When the rom finishes pushing to your tablet it will auto-launch the installer.
  • After the ROM is installed power off the tablet and go through the initial first boot. It normally takes around 5min for the first boot and about 30 seconds each boot after-the-fact. Remember as always a bake in period always helps as the tablet is still setting itself up and installing apps. Enjoy!

Posted Image

First Boot Setup Procedure:

Upon first boot, you will need to go in and set up the tab how you would like it initially. You can have the newer phablet UI or the older more familiar tablet UI from prior jellybean roms. You can also set individually the DPI for every app or game you would like to run. On first boot, open the app drawer and go into settings. from there, go into "hybridproperties" then "launch"

Pick which interface youd like, or try them all and keep the one you like the best, you can always change it later, no reboot required.
then go back into the main "hybridproperties" and choose "tools" and check the expert mode box.
Now... back in the main settings tab, go into "toolbars" and check the "circle battery" if you want the percentage mod. Thats it!

For the more advanced functions, like dpi app changes, Ill give you an example. The amazon app store is one of those apps that will run on our tabs, but has issues. To fix it, you will choose what I call the "magic setting"
which is the setup where almost all gameloft and EA games will function, as well as the amazon app store.

these settings are as follows: go into settings>hybridproperties>apps and choose amazon app store, etc.
Now, slide the DPI slider up to "140" dpi. Next, go over 3 screens to the left where it says "extras" and turn on "expand"

This will activate expanded desktop and set the app for 140 dpi so it will run properly. then, since your navbar will be hidden, you can use the "PIE" to exit the app(or game) and the navbar will return.
These settings are what works for me for : NBA JAM, NBA2K13, NFS most wanted, amazon app store, gt racing, real racing 3, and The Dark Knight rises.

To know what PIE is, and to know what all else this badass ROM can do, please take the time to watch the video review from this link:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1619582 second post.

Feel free to ask questions. This thread will not solely be a dev thread, but a Q&A for all the various PA settings too, I'm OK with that. If you have a game or app that would not work, and you got it to work, please post the settings you used for others to see, THANKS AND ENJOY!!!!

After doing the initial setup, please reboot into recovery, and from there you can install this Gapps package, specifically for tegra 2 devices:

http://www.mediafire...44xhky6dyx4wlw2

ALSO: THIS ROM HAS NO BUILT IN OC, YOU MUST USE "no frills" or "setcpu" or similar to overclock. I also highly recommend using nova launcher or apex, as the stock launcher lags a little bit.

************please note, "settings>advanced" does NOTHING, its not supposed to, you are not missing out on anything. It is an unimplemented feature that will be added later (hopefully the CM "performance settings")******************

If you like this project and appreciate the extreme amount of time that the devs put into this please donate:

Donate to TeamDRH: LINK

Other Credits:
  • Huge thank you to the ParanoidAndroid Crew!!
  • Borkata (Adam Dev)
  • Whyberg (Malata T8 Dev)

Posted Image

Edited by redeyedjedi, 15 March 2013 - 12:17 AM.

• qkster likes this
Say it...Say it! "We're gonna need another Timmy!"

#2 redeyedjedi

redeyedjedi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMcQueeney,TX

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

***********ADDITIONAL HELPFUL INFORMATION*******************************

Build.prop tweaks:

To increase the compatibility of your tablet you need to mimic a device officially supported by the google market. The device which I have had the most success with is the galaxy s 2. To mimic a GS2 (or a galaxy tablet) the following changes must be made to build.prop.....

ro.product.model=SGH-T989 (or) =GT-P7510
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=SGH-T989 (or) =GT-P7510
ro.product.device=SGH-T989 (or) =GT-P7510

ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

In my opinion the new youtube sucks.... i like the 3d wall, so if you do to, use this version:

http://www.androiddr...k/#.UUNrcVHh-xR

If you have any problems, questions, or concerns, feel free to ask. Ive spent tons of time on this, and I know it isnt perfect, but some things can be fixed once I know about them being broken..... just DONT BE THIS GUY!!

Edited by redeyedjedi, 15 March 2013 - 01:51 PM.

• qkster likes this

#3 fosser2

fosser2

Team DRH

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

I will take this post to hold my thoughts about this rom. It will be updated with the most current information. This rom is an alternative to the CM10.1 rom that I will be running. Redeyed is part of Team DRH and we wanted to expand the base a bit. With the new kernel and the device tree we decided we could release a couple of roms and let people pick their favorites. Since the SAME kernel and device tree are used in the roms the problems will be almost the same between DRH roms. You guys can knit pick all you want about issues, but the fact is, nobody else is supporting the G-tablet anymore; so what you see is what you get. Personally I think this is a great rom and the built in options such as per-app dpi are amazing. Personally I will continue running CM10.1 and redeyed will be taking over this portion of the team. I will troll through posts in here as well as the other room and try to help out as best as I can. Lastly, enjoy the rom guys!

Edited by fosser2, 14 March 2013 - 10:16 PM.

• qkster likes this
Like what I'm doing? Then buy me a beer or 5
It would help all the late nights slaving away ;)
Donate

#4 deuce

deuce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Am I missing something

#5 NeoMatrixJR

NeoMatrixJR

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIowa, USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

<Conan>Secrets....</Conan>

Also...IN BEFORE THE CONTENT!
gTablet - TeamDRH ICS Beta
TP2 - XDAndroid

#6 DrexInEffect1

DrexInEffect1

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Fyi... Your download link does noy point to the proper rom

#7 fosser2

fosser2

Team DRH

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Fyi... Your download link does noy point to the proper rom

We know, chillax :p
Like what I'm doing? Then buy me a beer or 5
It would help all the late nights slaving away ;)
Donate

#8 DrexInEffect1

DrexInEffect1

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Just sayin ;-P But really...keep up the good work guys! Ive bounced around from rom to rom on gtab and I still get excited every time a new one is released...

#9 superawesomegreat

superawesomegreat

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

flashed without issue. clicking on settings>advanced crashes settings. is this normal?

#10 redeyedjedi

redeyedjedi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMcQueeney,TX

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

flashed without issue. clicking on settings>advanced crashes settings. is this normal?

OOOOPPPSS!!! Yea, that doesnt work yet, not a critical thing. It's just a feature that hasn't yet been added.

#11 Lucas0511

Lucas0511

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

Love this ROM since its early beta, especially the PIE navcircle and the multiple live-switchable UIs in different densities. Running very smooth on my tablet, with wakelock app preventing SODs. Great job guys!

Posted Image

Edited by Lucas0511, 15 March 2013 - 02:07 AM.

#12 andywheels

andywheels

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

We know, chillax :p

I'm reporting you to the higher powers here at Slatedroid for using the word 'chillax' in a public space. Expect a lifetime ban. :p :p

Seriously though, thanks again for another top shelf rom. Superb!

#13 Kameo

Kameo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

Awesome work, will try it asap.
HTC Sensation - Viper Rom v1.6.3 [Android v4.0.4 + Sense 4.1]
HTC Desire - Runnymede AIO v6.1.1 [Android v2.3.5 + Sense v3.6]
Hannspad SN10T1/1653 -
TeamDRH Dirty BEAN [Android v4.2.2 + Kazpar Kernel v1]

#14 freet

freet

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Does this rom have usb webcam support builtin? Or can I install it like we did in ICS? Love having that option on the Gtab. Great work, Team DRH. I WILL be donating something to the group when I am able. Hopefully next week sometime. Thanks again for all your hard work. I wish I was knowledgable enough to help you.

#15 DrexInEffect1

DrexInEffect1

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Flashed Rom last night and let it bake few a few hours. I ran bench marks after OC with ROM Toolbox and got dynamite results ;-)

Vallamo:HTML 5 = 1905
METAL = 456

Loving it so far! ;)

#16 DrexInEffect1

DrexInEffect1

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Does this rom have usb webcam support builtin? Or can I install it like we did in ICS? Love having that option on the Gtab. Great work, Team DRH. I WILL be donating something to the group when I am able. Hopefully next week sometime. Thanks again for all your hard work. I wish I was knowledgable enough to help you.

Ive been able to get the built in camera to work however its picky on which apps it likes. So far ive had luck with Tango, Skype and a few camera apps..... You just have to experiment and see what works for you

#17 AlexItaly

AlexItaly

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hi, just a question : if I install this rom on gtab,since it is universal could I get whatsapps to work ?

Edited by AlexItaly, 15 March 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#18 redeyedjedi

redeyedjedi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMcQueeney,TX

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi, just a question : if I install this rom on gtab,since it is universal could I get whatsapps to work ?

Id be willin to bet yes, without even knowing..... prolly 98% of all things on the market will still run on our tabs, and most likely using the "magic settings"

But you ll have to try for yourself. The issue is two things, our crappy resolution which almost no other dvice has, and our hardware keys. Those damn keys cause most apps to think our device is a phone and shoots the "app" into phone UI, after it recognizes the hardware keys. So, we give them what they want, the 140dpi increase (and sometimes 160dpi), which in turn allows the app to go into 360p, or phone mode.

An expert user can do this on cyanogenmod with the "xposed framework" but this rom is all about it, so no need for complications. ALSO, PLEASE SEE SECOND POST FOR BUILD.PROP MODS!

*****************************************************************************************************************
a quick google search reveals that whatsapp needs a phone number, and we cannot pretend to have a 3g sim card in our tabs, but thats ok!!!

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2061176

******************************************************************************************************************

Edited by redeyedjedi, 15 March 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#19 redeyedjedi

redeyedjedi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMcQueeney,TX

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

maybe you can do it manually for now, i dont know.... The built in camera may need to be disabled first, or its permissions may need to be revoked and passed off to the webcam. This can be brought back, just doesnt work for now, but your internal camera may work!

#20 freet

freet

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

maybe you can do it manually for now, i dont know.... The built in camera may need to be disabled first, or its permissions may need to be revoked and passed off to the webcam. This can be brought back, just doesnt work for now, but your internal camera may work!

Thanks. I'll try installing the files like I did for the ICS rom and see if it works. I'll post back with the results when I get it done.

UPDATE:
So you know, I installed this right over the 4.2 dirty bean. When I went to copy the camera.tegra.so file into the system/lib/hw folder it was already there. I wrote the script and then plugged my camera in and ran the script. Went into camera mx app and it seemed to work but locked up after about 7-8 secs. I rebooted ran the script again and tried to run Camera ICS. errored out. I then began to wonder....I rebooted again and this time just plugged the camera in and ran camera ics and to my delight the usb camera came up. And I was able to swap between the cameras. Seemed stable during my test. When I installed this rom overe the other one, I did do a factory reset before I had it install from zip. Remnants, perhaps?

On a side note I still get a message about not being able to mount the ext-sd in recovery. It sees it on the computer and I can copy files to it, but I have had to copy the zip files to the internal sd and install from there. It's a 16Gb card, Sandisk, I think it's only a class 4. Not a big deal at this point but I like to be able to backup and restore from the ext-sd in recovery.
Thanks again.

Edited by freet, 18 March 2013 - 08:50 AM.