Photo

Brightness went to 0 and screen is off (How to fix)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Susaaan

Susaaan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

I download the backlight app and while i was testing it out the genuis in me clicked 0%. now i can't see anything. how can i reset it to factory setting or turn the backlight on?

#22 McMadd

McMadd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hi,I installed a widget to set the brightness easily from the home screen and somehow it managed to set it to 0 (at least I think). When I boot the aPad, I see the penguin and both android logo's (the "DOS" version and the animated logo) and then the screen blanks.I can still access it thru adb so it does work. I've been searching the internet to find out if I can reset the brightness setting through the adb shell but the one mention I found (on xda) refers to a file that doesn't exist on my device. Any tips on how to get this fixed?Ps: I was planning on flashing another rom anyway which will solve it but I can't get that done without a real windows machine (grrr). Been trying thru VMWare and Virtual Box but I'll post another thread on that.

#23 McMadd

McMadd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Solved it!As with lots of things in Android, this is stored in an sqlite database so using adb I could just go in and change the setting: (it was actually set to 25 while the range is 0-255)
$ ./adb -d shell# sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.dbSQLite version 3.5.9Enter ".help" for instructionssqlite> update system set value=255 where name='screen_brightness';sqlite> .exit# reboot
My advice: stay away from the "Brightness Control" widget from B&B, at least on your aPad. Now let's see if I can find a better one ...

#24 xaueious

xaueious

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Wow I didn't know you could do that. But I'm merging this thread man.

#25 McMadd

McMadd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:53 AM

[quote name='McMadd;13683]My advice: stay away from the "Brightness Control" widget from B&B' date=' at least on your aPad. Now let's see if I can find a better one ...[/QUOTE'] Let's nuance this comment a bit, as you can see in this threat it's not related to this particular widget but a general brightness problem. I'm glad I found the fix.

#26 itanium

itanium

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

[quote name='McMadd;14127]Let's nuance this comment a bit' date=' as you can see in this threat it's not related to this particular widget but a general brightness problem. I'm glad I found the fix.[/QUOTE'] congratz, mcmadd! well done!

#27 riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

I fell foul of this earlier......Luckily I had installed the Flash Bright App which on the touch sets brightness to 100% and on another touch reduces it to whatever it was set at before. Anyway, messing around with another brightness app I somehow managed to set it to -35% WTF......minus 35%, who in their right mind would create an app that could set the brightness to anywhere near zero, let alone a minus???.......I was faced with the prospect of having to reflash again until I remembered I had installed Flash Bright, so with a bit of touchy feely and a good bit of luck thrown in for good measure I managed to hit the spot......With the screen on 100% I uninstalled all the brightness apps......I only use the main one now, lesson learned :)

#28 dirk38

dirk38

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

When your install Droid Exploder http://de.codeplex.com on your computer and plug in your apad, and open DroidExploder on your computer, there is on the upper side a icon bar, when your open the green robot icon named screencast you can see and control your apad screen.my screen is much brighter when i use the brightness level tool.

#29 r3vers3

r3vers3

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Sorry that i kick this threath but this PDF was very helpfull for me.RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

#30 dunnmonkey

dunnmonkey

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

any chance someone with a working apad could give instructions to blindly get to settings to change this? (ie, press 3cm across, 4cm down) i don't use a windows machine so flashing is gonna be a pain. think i did this on the video player app by accident. maybe this would take fewer steps to get to than the settings page? massive thanks in advance

#31 r3vers3

r3vers3

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

Ok, Because it took me a long time the get it back here it is. Measured from down and left of the screen1. height: 8.5cm width: 14 cm (right upper corner)2. height:0.5 cm width: 12.5cm (right down corner)3. height: 6 cm width: doesnt matter4. first scroll down so your sure you reached the bottom height: 2 cm width: doesnt matter5. height: 3.5 cm width: 8cm

#32 bliptips

bliptips

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

Hi all,I have the same issue with Apad rockchip version with webcam, its branded iweb.How do i restore the settings to the default as my brightness is at the lowest.I have tried the blind tapping but its quite herculean,also tried the flashing as shown on youtube,the info fails to come up on the andriod tool.:(I would welcome any improvised advice to sort this thingy out.And yes,you guys are doing a tremendous job ! Thanks.

#33 r3vers3

r3vers3

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

I made a video hope it helps you out:YouTube - How to fix 0% brigtness [aPad/iRobot]

#34 jasoninertia

jasoninertia

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

I have that widget and when I put screen brightness down to zero , i can still see the screen .

#35 xaueious

xaueious

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

[quote name='jasoninertia;37741]I have that widget and when I put screen brightness down to zero ' date=' i can still see the screen .[/QUOTE'] It doesn't affect every firmware I guess

#36 Rui

Rui

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

will this. just had same prob. thanks