69K views 285 replies 42 participants last post by  WeiQiang 
#1 ·
Owner check
Do you own this tab and use my rom?
Yes. I own this tab and am using your rom1967.86%
Yes. I own this tab and am not using your rom621.43%
No. I'm thinking of buying this tab27.14%
What? I got here by accident13.57%
Would you be willing to donate for support?
Yes, I would gladly donate1285.71%
No, I am a miser and I won't support you.214.29%

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Updates: Digitizer expected to arrive within next 2 weeks. Had delays with the seller Development Stopped until the new digitizer arrives. Approx 3 weeks.
README
Huge thanks to user triggerseven for funding my new digitizer.

UPDATES: As a special thanks to those few people whom have supported me in my little "experiments" and such. I am currently working on v0004. It will just be a minor update such as fixing the charging battery icon and others. For stuff like performance enhancements and increase sound levels, it won't be added yet as they require more extensive testing. Since aesthetics doesn't really need to be tested, v0004 will be mostly aesthetic changes with a LITTLE functional improvements

Once again, community support in my little projects with ChuwiV99 would really encourage my continued work with this great little tablet.

Bad news everybody.

I have cracked the top right hand corner of my digitizer. This is making it really difficult for me to test roms and wifi mods.

Rectangle Sky Fixture Material property Astronomical object

I know that a really small number of supporters here have already donated to me and once again thanks for that. That allowed me to make the purchase for batteries and related tools. I would still be able to implement the battery mod BUT.. I will not be able to test the improvements of the battery considering how the tablet is 50% unusable due to the various dead zones that have appeared due to the cracked digitizer.

I have already located a seller for the digitizer on Taobao whom is willing to ship overseas but it is going to cost USD60!
Found a seller on aliexpress but it's still going to cost me $30

Unless I am able to raise funds for a replacement digitizer, my last contribution towards Chuwi V99 would be how to install the new battery. Just installation instructions, no comparison will be done.

Timeless Rom V0005
Presenting the very first Chuwi V99 Quad-core ROM!

Note: timeless roms have been tested to work and has been hosed down with bug spray. It still may have bugs though. please check post 2 to see if the bug has been listed before posting. Also, please be aware that I don't give a rat's behind about antutu or other benchmark scores. My emphasis is on real life performance rather than benchmarks. If you wish to ask about antutu or others, please create a separate thread.

Features
  • Chuwi 7th April (A31 SDK2.0) Onda V972 V1.35 Base
  • build.prop tweaks
  • default GPU rendering for UI
  • Default Language set to English
  • NEW Play Store Fix (99.999999% complete)
  • extSD card fix
  • Removed some useless system apps (e.g. magazine app, they can be reinstalled from play store)
  • Added some 'essential' apps
  • added xposed framework preinstalled (can be removed)
  • added xposed app settings (allows you to set DPI specific to apps, kinda like PA)
  • added 1% circle battery mod
  • added 720p Youtube app
  • scrolling performance enhancements
  • increased volume level controls
  • probably some more other fixes that I can't remember

Installation Instructions in a nut shell for Timeless Rom V0005
  1. Please read through the entire first 3 posts.
  2. Download the New SDK2.0 Base CWM enabled firmware (Mirror)
  3. Download Timeless Rom V0005 (Mirror)
  4. Reboot to Recovery
  5. Perform full wipe (data+cache+dalvik)
  6. Flash Timeless Rom V0005
  7. Reboot (IMPORTANT: If prompted to disable stock recovery flash, select yes. Otherwise, carry on.)
  8. Enjoy. Please report back with any issues. I haven't had much time to test it out because of my annoying digitizer. It will be arriving soon I hope.

Installation Instructions in a nut shell for Timeless Hybrid Rom V0004
  2. Download the CWM enabled firmware MIRROR
  3. Flash it via phonixsuit
  4. Download my rom here
  5. Please use something other than Stock Launcher before restoring apps.
  6. Reboot to CWM Recovery
  7. Flash my rom

Installation Instructions in a nut shell for Timeless Hybrid Rom V0003
  4. Download my rom here MIRROR
  5. Reboot to CWM Recovery which can be done via "settings" > "backup and reset" > "recovery"
  6. Flash my rom

Installation Instructions in a nut shell for Timeless Rom V0002
  4. Download my rom here MIRROR
  5. Reboot to CWM Recovery which can be done via "settings" > "backup and reset" > "recovery"
  6. Flash my timelessv0002 rom

Useful Tips & Tricks & Tools
  1. apps2zip is a useful app which allows you to create update zips of your apps. note: not tested

Special Thanks to user Negan for providing the mirror links.

Donation Segment

Donators! Thanks so much for your support. I always support those that support me! *hint*
  • Sambaaa
  • postipate
  • Mystery Donator #1
  • red_bull
  • triggerseven
  • Mystery Donator #2
  • smic
  • lasseat Mystery Donator #3!!
  • Mystery Donator #4
  • stavrs !!!!!!!!
  • Mystery Donator #5
I am thinking of implementing a separate rom which would have all the features that the most current public rom has and more. What this means is that the donators would gain way earlier access to new features and have priority on requests fulfilment depending on the difficulty of implementation. What donation means is that you will be supporting me in a way for the time I spent in development. It would give me added incentive to create more stuff for our beloved Chuwi V99 quad core. Most importantly, your donations would play a huge part in helping me through college.

However, I stress that this does not mean that if you do not donate you will lose out. On the contrary, you'll still have access to the rom. Only difference is that upon donation, you would gain access to the "Timeless Gold Rom" which is what I am using right now. It would be the most up to date rom at the earliest time.

For non donation versions of the rom, it would most likely only receive updates when Chuwi releases their new version of firmware. Whereas for the Timeless Gold Rom, you will have access to never ending addition of features and fairly extensive support from me regardless if Chuwi Releases new firmware. Additionally, donators would have early access to CM10.1 when A31 sources are out.

Please respond to the poll and let me know your views.

Attachments

#64 · (Edited by Moderator)
Timeless Rom V0002
Presenting the very first Chuwi V99 Quad-core ROM!
I am thinking of implementing a separate rom which would have all the features that the most current public rom has and more. What this means is that the donators would gain way earlier access to new features and have priority on requests fulfilment depending on the difficulty of implementation. What donation means is that you will be supporting me in a way for the time I spent in development. It would give me added incentive to create more stuff for our beloved Chuwi V99 quad core. Most importantly, your donations would play a huge part in helping me through college.

However, I stress that this does not mean that if you do not donate you will lose out. On the contrary, you'll still have access to the rom. Only difference is that upon donation, you would gain access to the "Timeless Gold Rom" which is what I am using right now.
Sorry..I misquoted you. Its not the "sacred golden" rom...Its the "timeless gold rom". Sorry you dont want my donation. BTW...I complimented your rom...You are an asset to the Chuwi community. I hope you keep up the work...as my tab runs very good with it.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Changelog

Timeless Rom v0005
  • Using Chuwi 7th April (A31 SDK2.0)
  • Disabled secondary boot logo
  • Updated to latest Nova Launcher
  • Rotation locks itself when screen off.
  • Incorporated all previous tweaks and enhancements from scratch

Timeless Hybrid v0004
  • Scrolling performance increased (massive speed gains imo)
  • New Play Store fix, pretty much complete compatibility
  • Fixed Battery Icon
  • Some other small tweaks and fixes

Timeless Hybrid v0003
  • Removed the add-on apps (xposed framework)
  • Changed to Onda V972 1.33 base
  • Partially odexed (expect faster boot times, performance gains and marginally better battery life)
  • Volume mod (99% sure that it works. please confirm)
  • Changed 1% battery icon (looks real good now)
  • Removed Nova Launcher (not as smooth as expected)
  • Using default Onda V972 Launcher (smoother than expected)
  • Updated SuperSu to V1.25
  • Changed bootanimation

Timeless v0002
  • First hurdle passed with the very first custom rom
  • build.prop tweaks
  • zipaligned
  • removed some system apps
  • added some apps
  • tweaked UI
  • performance and battery tweaks
  • market fix
  • extsd fix
Timeless v0001
  • Successfully incorporated CWM into 30th Jan Firmware
  • Built first rudimentary CWM-flashable rom
  • Flashed successfully
  • Happy times
Timeless v0000
  • Got the ball rolling by investigating how to build custom PhoenixSuit image as a means of custom roms. Needless to say, lots of time wasted. Not that elegant of a solution too
Bugs
  1. Not yet filled

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Readme
This rom is just meant to be a lean and mean as possible. If you want a rom chock full of meaningless stuff, stay away. I add features that generally useful.
If you would like to request for something please follow the instructions below

How to Request for a Feature?
  1. Check if the feature request is already in the list below
  2. If not....
  3. Ask about it in this thread
  4. Just once
  5. ONCE
  6. ONCE!!!!
  7. It will be placed into the "list" for reference and consideration
  8. There will be no ETA at all. If I'm working on it I'll update the status.
  9. If I am not, no means no.
P.S If anyone can contact chuwi or Allwinner, could you try asking them to release kernel sources? I'll really need that to make a true rom. Otherwise it's just going to be a stock rom with optimizations. Not a true custom rom. That means no >1ghz, please don't ask about it since I've mentioned it. If it is stable >1ghz, I will mention it as it is a huge improvement

Planned features (doesn't mean confirmed addition)
  • Better 1% Mod
  • Improved multitasking switcher.
  • CRT-off effects?

Feature Requests
  1. remove the volume icons and screenshot icon
  2. 3-way reboot menu

Member's blacklist
*WorkTimeFun?*
You will be on this blacklist if you ask stupid questions with answers that are already posted on the first 3 posts.
You'll be on this blacklist when you do the above twice. You get a single chance.
This blacklist affects everyone.
Once someone gets on a blacklist. Development is stopped for 10 days.
Other than the one single chance, there will be zero tolerance.
Will look into other methods of preventing annoying stupidity but right now this is the way.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for your effort and for the good news, but it will be nice if you could share your experience so that the others can also help with there ideas, suggestions and experience

Best Regards
Like I mentioned to you previously, I will get to documenting the steps when I do so.

There's no easy DIY steps available yet.

Also, you'll need substantial knowledge of linux, terminal cmds, android in order to proceed. I am not going to have the time to explain each and every single detail.

P.s. please stop repeatedly requesting for stuff, just state it once and I'll definitely take note of it. But no guarantees as to whether or not I will fulfil the requests. As thing becomes more stable with the rom building environment for Chuwi V99, I will start taking requests, but not at this point of time. My number one priority is to get a custom rom fully working and optimised to the max.

Update: Uploaded a teaser screenshot

#7 ·
The stage is set nicely. Please download the CWM enabled firmware as it is needed to flash my rom.

#9 ·
Np, I'm still uploading the rom right now on mega but my net is a little slow today. Should have it up within the next 8 hours.

You could always buy me a beer from the link provided

#11 ·
Far too old man. Far too old...Remembered that I always wanted to be older and now that I am...meh.

Anyway... here's the rom! give it a whirl!

#13 ·
Thanks for the feedback, do reply if you found any issues so I can look into it.

#18 ·
@Negan, I would appreciate if you ask before offering to mirror my links. But yes, you can mirror my links provided that you do not use sites which reward you for download counts.

#19 ·
Hi, I've tried your timeless rom today and the tablet seems to work better than stock! I had no time to test it deeply, but this seems anyways a step forward. Thank you very much for your effort, hope we may get kernel source.
Ps no problems with camera or gallery until now

#20 ·
Yeah, once we get the source, I'll likely be abandoning stock rom and build CM10.1 or ParanoidAndroid.

So you're having camera problems as well?

@Negan, could you test the camera or gallery app

#26 ·
Your request is noted. Will be adding this definitely but no ETA. It's fairly complicated to add but doable.

#29 ·
Hi and thx for your job. I have 2 questions about your ROM. How to install first step with phoenixsuite? same as firmware update? and second...once installed your ROM english is the primary language, but can i choose spanish later?
Sorry for my english and thx for your help

#31 ·
Did you even read the instructions???? No you did not. This is exactly what I was afraid of. strike one.

UPDATES: updated the main 3 posts. take note of the Blacklist section

#30 ·
Hi,

Installed your ROM today - very nice.
Definitely feels snappier than stock and more stable.

I don't have any issues with gallery / camera etc and the disabling of auto-lock also works as desired.

I switched launcher to Go Launcher HD as I'm used to that one, I'm going to try Nova too to see how they compare.
(Launcher EX definitely seems to have issues on the V99, maybe tablets in general).

Thanks for the great work

#36 ·
Hi, no I have not tried but I believe it would not be stable. The reason being is that the sources for A31 is not out yet.

As for antutu score. I don't believe in that. If you want a score with high antutu scores, it is not for you. I emphasize on real life performance rather than benchmark.

UPDATE: edited main post about antutu and OC

#40 ·
No, it is a feature, and you're the first person whom actually prefers to not know the %battery left.

#44 ·
Hi,

I have flashed the CWM firmware and gone into Recovery, but when I try to install timelessv0002-public.zip....I get:

-- Install /sdcard
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installation aborted.

Please help!

Thanks pdaemon

#46 ·
Since you were able to select and start the flashing process I'm sure you placed the timeless rom zip in the correct place. That means one of two things, either you're not really on CWM or somewhere along the download of the rom it got corrupted. Open the zip in winrar and click test. See if there are any errors. If not, make sure you really are on CWM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.