• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fatwolverine

fatwolverine

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hello all,

I am attempting to install a Linux distribution onto my Minix Neo G4. Currently I have attempted to install PicUntu (using instructions from the homepage first, then from other pages when it failed). Each time I am met with a boot up screen that hangs after 1-2s of boot time. It seems to do this regardless of whether or not I have installed the SD card. I have tried the RC2 and RC3 kernel. I have also attempted the kernel from the Ubuntu arm page (which I believe is the same kernel, is that correct?). I have attached a screen shot of the boot up. Also the last few lines of the boot process are:

[ 1.492839] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.20.0-ioctl (2011-02-02) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
[ 1.495507] cpuidle: using governor ladder
[ 1.497772] cpuidle: using governor menu
[ 1.512890] rk30-hdmi rk30-hdmi: PLAY_BACK

The kernel never reaches busybox or a prompt of any kind. Banging on the keyboard (ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+alt+f2, etc) does nothing.

Has anyone here successfully installed PicUntu onto one of these devices? If not, could you recommend an ARM port that I might have better luck with?

Thank you.

Attached Files

• Attached File  boot.jpg   259.46KB   16 downloads

#2 fatwolverine

fatwolverine

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

As an update, I was asked in another thread if I had named labeled the SD card as 'linuxroot'. I have correctly done that, unit continues to hang on boot up. After furious Google searching I found one use briefly mention that the screen of his device 'stopped scrolling'. That symptom might be what I'm seeing, however hitting some keys does not produce a response from the device. Does anyone know of any key commands that could prove/disprove that the device is responding?

#3 merlin11

merlin11

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Ive been looking in the forums for an answer to getting this to work with 0 luck. Have you had any luck getting this to boot? With all the ports and dual core an Minix X5 would seems like the best box for this and getting a G4 going would be a great start. Is anyone working on this?

#4 fatwolverine

fatwolverine

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ive been looking in the forums for an answer to getting this to work with 0 luck. Have you had any luck getting this to boot? With all the ports and dual core an Minix X5 would seems like the best box for this and getting a G4 going would be a great start. Is anyone working on this?

I still haven't gotten this unit to boot. I posted on the official Minix Forums (http://www.minixforu...-card-w-g4.141/) for help but have not received a response there either. I've read that people have done it, using the same firmware/process that I am, but the failure may be a little lower. Maybe the software isn't fully compatible with all hardware tolerances? I was installing Picuntu for a specfic problem, which I have managed to sidestep, however I am thinking of installing one of these in my home as a micro server, so I'll be back if I get any more info.

Also, due to the Alpha nature of the firmware, I don't think anyone is working on this specific device, rather they are working on the kernel/system in general. I'll try again every release or so, hopefully it will start working. I would look into it myself, but I have 0 kernel development experience.

Is your device showing the same problem as mine or does it stall at a different point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users