Pipo S2 wont boot or charge.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 djriggs

djriggs

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hi everyone, I decided to pickup one of the new Pipo S2 tablets. I came in the mail last week and everything was working great out of the box. After fully charging the unit I let the battery run down to 1% before I plugged it in again to charge. I did notice that while charging that there were a few jitters on the screen while using it. I decided to go ahead and continue surfing the net and google play store. I played a few games with no problem but while I was charging the unit I decided to run a emulator on it. The emulator did not work so I exited and killed all other apps running. It then powered down and started a reboot. After the reboot it again powered down and began another reboot. After the second time it shut off and stayed off. I will not do anything at all. When the charger is plugged into the device the battery light indicator just flashes red. It will not do anything now.

I have tried to unsolder the red battery terminal from the board but still nothing. Even while the cable was not attached to the battery I plugged in the charger and still got just a flashing red battery indicator. So no go on the soldering idea. I also noticed that when I attempt to plug in the charger there are always sparks, could I have shorted out the board?

Thanks for your patience in reading I know I was long winded, :)

DJ

Edited by djriggs, 09 February 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#2 Zootalaws

Zootalaws

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hi everyone, I decided to pickup one of the new Pipo S2 tablets. I came in the mail last week and everything was working great out of the box. After fully charging the unit I let the battery run down to 1% before I plugged it in again to charge. I did notice that while charging that there were a few jitters on the screen while using it. I decided to go ahead and continue surfing the net and google play store. I played a few games with no problem but while I was charging the unit I decided to run a emulator on it. The emulator did not work so I exited and killed all other apps running. It then powered down and started a reboot. After the reboot it again powered down and began another reboot. After the second time it shut off and stayed off. I will not do anything at all. When the charger is plugged into the device the battery light indicator just flashes red. It will not do anything now.

I have tried to unsolder the red battery terminal from the board but still nothing. Even while the cable was not attached to the battery I plugged in the charger and still got just a flashing red battery indicator. So no go on the soldering idea. I also noticed that when I attempt to plug in the charger there are always sparks, could I have shorted out the board?

Thanks for your patience in reading I know I was long winded, :)

DJ

Sorry DJ, I can't help with your problem - but you might be able to help with mine - how do you get the S2 open?

#3 djriggs

djriggs

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I used a medium size flathead screw driver and a tool that opens watch case backs. As long as you pry it open at the seam that goes around the edge very easily you ok. Just work it until one of the holders snaps open, then work your way around the whole out side on snap at a time.

Thanks,
DJ

#4 l.v

l.v

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

mine it's in similar situation.

It wont wake up, I saw somewhere that you have to charge battery during 3-4 days to drain battery but I don't know if works.

#5 doned

doned

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

Mine was in a similar situation but I just let the battery die. Then recharged it. It works now.

Edited by doned, 22 June 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#6 luhai

luhai

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

I have the same problem, when I plug the DC power in, the red light flashes for about half a second, then nothing....

#7 luhai

luhai

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

I think i fixed it, it's appears one of the voltage regulators (i think) have higher GND voltage than input voltage. (which will shut it dead)

After I ground that pin with charger plugged in and do a few power cycle afterwards. It appears to come to life and function normally. I'll wait and see how it will do in the coming weeks.

#8 asik1

asik1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

I think i fixed it, it's appears one of the voltage regulators (i think) have higher GND voltage than input voltage. (which will shut it dead)

After I ground that pin with charger plugged in and do a few power cycle afterwards. It appears to come to life and function normally. I'll wait and see how it will do in the coming weeks.

Interesting find luhai, but please give more info and photo if possible what PIN was it.

loved my P85/3066 but he had dead buttons fever, and practicly died after ~15 months
Got PIPO S2, will he live long?

#9 Stampi

Stampi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

More information please...
My PiPo M9 does not start or charge, what should i do?
I have been trying to reset it and also connected it to the computer but no reaction at all.
Help please!

#10 amitkey9

amitkey9

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hay All,
Unfortunately, I also purchased the same steaming pile of s**t,
Mine also died after several rounds of charging,
In the end I had to buy a new battery:
Li-ion Battery 3.7v 5000mAH
And a new charger:
5v tablet charger
Although now it's battery life is not something really to be proud of...(It gives me about 2 hours of work - video, internet...etc')
At least it works, and works well,
I hope I helped someone,
Amit :drinks:

Edited by amitkey9, 07 July 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Android Tablets :
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Ainol Novo 7 Elf (Sold)
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora v3 16Gb (Sold)
Pipo Smart s2 3G

Android Mobile Phones :
Star x18i (Died a horrible death)
iHTC x310e (Died a horrible death)
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 (Don't ask ! I got it from work !)
Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000
Samsung Galaxy Note2 N7100
Samsung Ativ S (Don't ask ! It was a present !)
Zopo ZP910
Lenovo A820

Currently working on :
Hebrew ROM Translation : My ROM Translation "Machine" (I use it for Hebrew, Can be used for any language !)

#11 luhai

luhai

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:41 AM

I closed the tablet, so I can't give the silk screen name. If you can upload a image of the PCB, I can point it to you. . It's really important that you power cycle a few times with the charger in (and check it power up properly with it unplugged). I suspect is that pins in the PCB are floating instead of been properly grounded, which lead to charge built up and putting ICs in un-bootable state. So if it is powered down for long periods of time, this could be a problem. (It appears the battery charged properly when it is in the bricked state)

Here is a video of how I did it. I'm speaking Chinese in that video, I took it for a Chinese forum

Edited by luhai, 22 July 2013 - 02:49 AM.

#12 asik1

asik1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

Tnx luhai for video. I just got my S2 this morning.
I hope it will work OK for long, but if needed I will have someone help me with the Chinese in the video...

loved my P85/3066 but he had dead buttons fever, and practicly died after ~15 months

#13 luhai

luhai

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

Tnx luhai for video. I just got my S2 this morning.
I hope it will work OK for long, but if needed I will have someone help me with the Chinese in the video...

Just beware, the battery meter lies. Don't let it go below 30% without charging. And if it dies, charge it with in a day. I have it stuck in that state because I last checked it at ~30%, and it died in my backpack. I didn't do much about it, then a few days later it won't charge.

#14 Stampi

Stampi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

I solded and fixed the DC-contact, it was loose, but there is a component missing and i am unsure what component it is, so i have a picture and hope someone can help me out....I'm a little unsure of what component that is missing, but it is backside off the mainboard, just below the dc connection.
http://oi40.tinypic....ss='bbc_img' />

Edited by Stampi, 29 July 2013 - 03:35 AM.

#15 ipal

ipal

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Has anyone tried luhai's way?
I already resoldered the battery once and now its dead again, as my dc is wiggly.
I just dont want to keep soldering the battery everytime it happens...

#16 luhai

luhai

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

It happened to me again when I run the tablet down while traveling, and I fixed it immediately when I was back.

Here is the procedure to fix it
0. Accidentally run the tablet all the way down. (It powers itself off)
1. Connect the tablet to DC power and charge it for ~5 hours. The red LED should be on and flicker about twice a minute. Once the tablet is charged, the red LED is off when connected to DC power. Tablet is unable to turn on.
2. open the table, then connect DC power.
3. Short the GND pin of the regulator to system ground. (I used HDMI shield since it's close) see pic
Posted Image
4. The table should immediately turn on, let it boot up. WITH DC POWER PLUGING, restart the tablet multiple times. (I did it 5 times)
5. The tablet should be good to go.

The root cause of the problem appears to be when the battery is run all the down, the voltage is too low for the tablet to boot while charging. (I can see the red LED flicker when I was charging it.) And the repeated reboots, somehow accumulated charge in the ground pin of the key regulators and shuts it off.

*It may not be GND pin of a regulator, since I don't have the schematic. But its what it looks like to me.

#17 esantoro

esantoro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

It happened to me again when I run the tablet down while traveling, and I fixed it immediately when I was back.

Here is the procedure to fix it
0. Accidentally run the tablet all the way down. (It powers itself off)
1. Connect the tablet to DC power and charge it for ~5 hours. The red LED should be on and flicker about twice a minute. Once the tablet is charged, the red LED is off when connected to DC power. Tablet is unable to turn on.
2. open the table, then connect DC power.
3. Short the GND pin of the regulator to system ground. (I used HDMI shield since it's close) see pic
Pipo.jpg
4. The table should immediately turn on, let it boot up. WITH DC POWER PLUGING, restart the tablet multiple times. (I did it 5 times)
5. The tablet should be good to go.

The root cause of the problem appears to be when the battery is run all the down, the voltage is too low for the tablet to boot while charging. (I can see the red LED flicker when I was charging it.) And the repeated reboots, somehow accumulated charge in the ground pin of the key regulators and shuts it off.

*It may not be GND pin of a regulator, since I don't have the schematic. But its what it looks like to me.

Good work, Luhai.  Thank you.  I need to try this on a few tablets.  

Here is a video on fixing an HP Playbook that may provide more assistance with this specific problem:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MlsgGwoq1-8

Ed

#18 esantoro

esantoro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I just now tried Luhai's method, and it worked very well.  I used a paper clip to make the short.  At first, making the short with the DC power connected did not result in the tablet starting up.  I unplugged the DC cable, and then plugged it back in, and then the tablet started up and was able to shut down and boot on consecutive attempts.

Thanks, again, Luhai.

Ed

#19 esantoro

esantoro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

I just now did it successfully with a second S2.  This time, however, I did it with an S2 that had zero charge, and it worked.

#20 asik1

asik1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Good to know all these tips and tricks to keep our S2 strong and kicking.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users