Android Tablets Forum banner

Any advice on how to cool my tablet?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  paka 
#1 ·
Hi everyobe, I have a batch 2 tablet, the only issue that I have with it is the heat of the device.

For example, If I charge the battery during the night , The next day the device is almost melting( even smelling this plastic fragrance) .

Same when you use it for a long period of time..

Any idea of how to cool it a bit?

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,
that does not sound normal. Some - but not too much - heat during charge is normal, but it should stop when the battery is fully charged. I would suggest monitoring battery voltage using some app (e.g. Perfect System Monitor) during charge, to make sure it does not exceed the maximum level which is about 4.2V. You can also check the charging current in mA during the charge, normal values on my tablet are ~450mA when charging via USB or ~600-1100mA when using external charging adapter. In case there would be some fault in the electronics that take care of charging then your battery could be damaged as a result, or in a worst case it could explode.

Edit: another App that shows voltage is Battery Monitor Widget. You can check also battery temperature, in my case it says ~30C during charge. And when battery is fully charged the current should change to some negative value, as the tablet starts consuming.

#3 ·
The battery temperature always says 30°C, because that's hardcoded in the driver!
Yep, no battery temperature sensor in the Ainol tablets. Wouldn't be that useful anyway, as the battery stays relatively cool, whether it's charging or not.
The two major sources of heat inside the tablet are the main system-on-chip (SoC) and the power management unit (PMU).
If you'd like to know the temperature of the PMU or diagnose battery problems, you can try this.

That said, if your tablet feels so hot that it's almost melting and smells of burning plastic, then there's definitely something wrong with it. That's not normal.

#4 ·
Yes you are right, it says 30C all the time, sorry.
Thanks a lot for the link to that excellent script. I tested it and it can read the charging chip temperature which. BTW also I'm now using it to change my battery target voltage to 4.15V (instead of original 4.2V) at boot time, which should increase battery cycles number (about 150%, 500->750) at cost of little bit lower capacity (about 94%).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.