Photo

How to make your own firmware images and more...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have done a LOT of rom development over the last couple of years and I often get asked "how do you do XYZ". Rather than continuing to answer lots of emails individually I am working on putting all of the tools and my knowledge in one place to share with anyone else that wants to do development. To keep things simple for the time being I am only going to be focusing on rockchip firmware development specifically.

This website is NOT a competing forum, I think the best place for "collaborative" work and ironing out the wrinkles and figuring things out are already established communities such as this one. So not a forum at all. This is more of my own "wiki" on how to do things.

In short, I do like teaching and I like making relatively complicated things have an easier learning curve for people who want to try their hand at something that has a lot of "intellectual" barriers to entry. So I try to teach mostly through video tutorials as I think that is the easiest way to see and learn. I also like making money! :). So yes, there are Google ads on the site however the content itself is completely free and there will never be any annoying pop-up advertising or stuff where you have to wait on a page or nonsense like that so hopefully the adverts are relatively non-invasive. As always, I would only urge folks to click on something they are interested in.

Anyhow, enough of that.

Currently the "Developers Corner" has some good stuff in it however the site is still pretty much skin and bones. There will be more to come though in the future and I am going to open it up to more seasoned devs that either want to write tutorials or make video tutorials to share with others.

I am hoping this site is a huge knowledge boon to the community here and as a result a lot more firmware devs get started on hacking China tabs and having fun :).

So without further ado'...

http://www.rockchipfirmware.com

Cheers folks,

Roman

PSS - I am happy to take feedback as well on the site.

Edited by Roman2025, 06 February 2013 - 11:35 AM.

www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#2 pws31

pws31

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Great news, thank you.

I downloaded the Virtual Box and linuxmint and wait for more information :)

#3 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Great news, thank you.

I downloaded the Virtual Box and linuxmint and wait for more information :)

Did you follow the tutorial and get them installed and setup?

http://www.rockchipf...cooking_kitchen

That should get you all setup!

Cheers,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#4 pws31

pws31

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

Did you follow the tutorial and get them installed and setup?

Yes I did. I had only problems with VM as it wouldn't start with VT on. I had to disable it, but it will probably reduce it's speed. But till now it is up and running. And I will check what is going on with the VT.

Greetings,
Pawel

Edited by pws31, 06 February 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#5 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Yes I did. I had only problems with VM as it wouldn't start with VT on. I had to disable it, but it will probably reduce it's speed. But till now it is up and running. And I will check what is going on with the VT.

Greetings,
Pawel

What processor does your host machine have? Older procs might not support VT (Centrino/Intel Core/AMD Athlon XP). There is probably a wikipedia list somewhere of what procs support what functions :).

Have you ever used Linux before?

Cheers,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#6 pws31

pws31

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I don't remember what kind of CPU I have :) It is an older machine. But it seems to work now, I have extracted the system.img and now I am going to go through the rest of the part 2 of your video tutorial - something about mount -t... ;D

Yes, I did use Linux before.

Greetings,
Paweł

#7 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I am working on figuring out how to do boot.img editing. (something I have never been able to figure out but I have started finding some helpful info and am going to give it a go soon). The main tutorial thread you are in though I haven't even finished yet. The video is all recorded but I haven't finished editing it and uploading it yet. Today I am working on the firmware download section as that hadn't gotten much attention. I am pulling tons of stock images down from mfg sites (takes forever as they are all in China) and re-uploading so it should be helpful for folks.

Anyhow, sorry if you catch up in the video series as it isn't finished yet :(. Sounds like you are doing pretty well if you are about ready to get the system.img mounted!

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand