Android Tablets Forum banner

Developing Firmware Questions

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  fuser-invent 
#1 ·
I'm new to the Ainol Hero and developed the Crystal Clear ROM for the Ainol Crystal. I'm planning on releasing a custom ROM for the Ainol Hero soon but I have a few questions if anyone can provide answers.

1. Are their different Batches of Hero's like the Crystal has where actual hardware has changed and requires different compatibility zips? I noticed Christian Troy has some but it just says to use the zips if you are on a certain firmware version but not if you have a certain Batch. So if you have an old Hero and update to 1219, can you just use the 1219 compatibility zip?

2. What are some issues with the Hero's firmware that people would like to see fixed? For example, touch screen sensitivity, battery percentage mod, low mic volume, battery life, expanded languages, sound issues, random reboots, CPU sleep problems, etc?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
It actually seems to be two type of batches of the Hero. Newer batches seems to have an other g-sensor for the display rotation than the older ones. Some users report, that the newer g-sensor doesn't work with older firmwares than 1219 and thus also with the CM roms. Some users report issues with the HDMI out, no sound during playback for example. HDMI works well in 1207v2 and 1219, but have issues in CM10 (no sound at all) and CM10.1 (sound until changing resolution from 720p to 1080p, restart brings the sound back).

I've now testet every stock ROM, and in my opinion the 1207v2 ist the best. But there are some things that I miss in stock ROM's:

-lockscreen configuration
-battery icon selection (I like the circle with the percent in the middle)
-screenshot function
-the little "ladder" to close all recently opened apps with one click (hope you know what I mean
)

...and some more, but I cannot currently translate all to english language

Greetings from Germany and sorry for my bad english.

#4 ·
You're English is great, don't worry.

I did notice some touch sensitivity issues, especially when trying to use the keyboard, so I'll improve that a bit. The g-sensor and wifi issues are driving me nuts. It looks like there are definitely different batches with different hardware going on, but nowhere in this sub-forum has anyone listed how to identify what batch needs what. I'm going to post a similar thread to what we have on the Crystal sub-forums and see if anyone bites.

I'll have to play with this a bit more and wait for some more responses but I have an alpha running on my tablet right now and so far it's pretty good. Maybe a week or two before it's ready for some beta testing.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
first of all, thank you for joining and welcome, Sir fuser-invent!
im not a developer, but ill help as much as i can.

id like to quote User db260179 on thread http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/45241-cm10-412-automated-install-brick-free/

" * The manufacture's recovery system has specific NAND value's set, so formatting the Internal memory is problematic!

* Attempting to flash the CM recovery onto the tablet will result in failing to boot to android and then looping back to recovery!

* If you had updated to the new 1207 or 1219 firmware, Ainol have implemented a new bootloader - which has caused havoc and made users think they have bricked their tablet! "

on of my wish list is to have the ability to do nand backups for both official and custom roms, without having to change recovery.
**as far as hardware differences? i have no way to confirm because thread is new and not a lot of active users yet.

hope your rom will give us more stability and more users!
*** oh and JB 4.2 features if possible!

#7 ·
You can use the new buil.prop on old hero I have old hero and also just bought the new batch, inside the new hero build.prop rom 1219 there is additional data for newbatch like G sensor = 5 and encompass position.

The new rom works for old hero so i believe the new firmware including all the data for old batch

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hope I can bring some more stability as well

My early build is based on the Novo1003-Hero-0128.zip firmware that was just released but is using Christian Troy's CM10 boot.img so far. I might have to switch over to the stock boot.img but I'm not sure, I guess it depends on whether or not he releases fixed versions before launch. Here's the change log so far:

Edits to the build.prop
  • Gameloft Compatibility for most games
  • Screen Response and Sensitivity Tweaks
  • Performance Tweaks
  • Wifi Tweaks
  • Google Nexus 7 Fingerprint
  • Default United States, EST time zone and English
  • Hide Android Debug Icon and ADB enabled by default
  • Video & JPEG Quality Tweaks
Init.d Scripts
  • Performance2 Governor Tweaks
  • Battery Life Tweaks
  • Internal SD Card Speed Tweaks
  • Overall Performance Tweaks
Features
  • CWM and TWRP compatible
  • Rooted
  • Installed Light Google Apps Package
  • Removed Chinese Apps
  • Added In Terminal, Flash Player, YouTube, Skype and Netflix
  • Deodoxed Apps and Framework
  • Added init.d script support
  • Added data/app/ capability
  • Better typing response on the keyboard
  • Improve scrolling and touch sensitivity
  • ZipAlign
  • InternalSD <-> ExternalSD switch
  • Custom Boot Animation and Default Wallpaper
  • Mic Volume Mod/Fix
  • Improved picture and video quality
And here is what is in the works for the first release at least:
  • Battery Percentage display
  • Additional Language Support
  • Set-up Wizard & Extended Language Packs
  • Disable phone data
  • Additional Apps Package

#11 ·
I like your approach method at the problem by lot .
I don't know if you can help me for solve my problem, any others say that it is a hw problem but i not think so. I always suspected that ainol build a board with differents hardware , the problem is strange and not have a large diffusion.
At the start my hero have 1115 firmware, after i do a factory reset and the problem begin, is possible that ainol had load a particular patch together firmware ?
The problem is present when i try to unlock the screen from suspension mode, is not possible unlock the screen, it don't accept touch command.
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/43354-screen-locked-wifi-conflict/

In particular for 1115 and 1219 firmware i have this issue:

If i set wifi "off", or wifi "on" but in never mode , i have a delay in unlock of 5 seconds.
When the wifi is turned "on" and set in "always" during the sleep, after 5 minutes I can unlock the screen.I can touch unlock tasto only after 5 minutes of black screen.

In particular for CM10 & CM10.1 i have this issue:

The problem is present in every mode.

Also i have a problem with rotation of accellerometer in all versions firmware.
Can you help my to solve the problem or can you consider this problem in development new rom?Or also make a patch for bypass problem?

i'm avalaible for any test.

Thankyou

#12 ·
@ Paul52 - Can you post in this thread I started? It would be helpful to know your tablets info over there since you had the same CM-RC comp zip problems. Thanks!

@ savendroid - I'll respond to your PM and make some suggestions, it looks like it could be hardware but also might be a hardware/firmware issue. I do have a couple of ideas to try. Honestly though, we ran into issues with the wifi settings on the Crystal too and I just suggest people leave wifi set to 'never' because Ainol tablets seem to behave poorly with it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.