Hunting for FroYo (2.2)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aakaakaak

aakaakaak

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I've had my WPDN for a couple years and have been running off a flash upgrade I managed to get working (pretty easy with just a zip on an external SD Card) from here many moons ago. Mostly I've been using it to read and mess around with a couple games, but now I'm trying to do something that requires FroYo (2.2+) (It's some fitness app.). The only update I can find for FroYo is the Cyanogenmod 6.x (BETA)(WPDN). I'm cool with downloading a .zip and installing it, but I have no clue what to do with a "patches" folder in a "TAR" in a "TGZ". I've tried flashing the TAR, TGZ, "patches" folder, and even stuck the "patches" folder in a ZIP and was still met with your fabled "Angry Andy". I've looked though documentation for hours and just can't seem to find how to do it. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple..or not...I don't know (Maybe we just can't upgrade to FroYo?). I'm just frustrated.

WPDN 7"
Model_Number: PD_Novel
Firmware Version: SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
Kernel Version: 2.6.29 fsysky@fsysky Mon jan 24 18:22 UTC 2011
Build Number: Slatedroid OPDN 2.1.0 (This is Eclair, right?)

I keep seeing you toss out Kewlguy's updates, and if he's got a FroYo ZIP I could use it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to whomever can ease my frustrations, or at least tell me it can't be done.

Edited by aakaakaak, 02 February 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#2 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,292 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I've had my WPDN for a couple years and have been running off a flash upgrade I managed to get working (pretty easy with just a zip on an external SD Card) from here many moons ago. Mostly I've been using it to read and mess around with a couple games, but now I'm trying to do something that requires FroYo (2.2+) (It's some fitness app.). The only update I can find for FroYo is the Cyanogenmod 6.x (BETA)(WPDN). I'm cool with downloading a .zip and installing it, but I have no clue what to do with a "patches" folder in a "TAR" in a "TGZ". I've tried flashing the TAR, TGZ, "patches" folder, and even stuck the "patches" folder in a ZIP and was still met with your fabled "Angry Andy". I've looked though documentation for hours and just can't seem to find how to do it. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple..or not...I don't know (Maybe we just can't upgrade to FroYo?). I'm just frustrated.

WPDN 7"
Model_Number: PD_Novel
Firmware Version: SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
Kernel Version: 2.6.29 fsysky@fsysky Mon jan 24 18:22 UTC 2011
Build Number: Slatedroid OPDN 2.1.0 (This is Eclair, right?)

I keep seeing you toss out Kewlguy's updates, and if he's got a FroYo ZIP I could use it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to whomever can ease my frustrations, or at least tell me it can't be done.

Hello aakaakaak,

Firstly, thanks for the overwhelming display of appreciation. :yahoo:

As I stated in my reply to thomasgunn here: "Currently you have the most stable FW available for the WPDN and 2.1 is as good as it gets... "

FroYo development stopped a long time ago. Original thread - Eclair/Froyo Dev - NO NOOBS ALLOWED :p

I'd suggest you Know/understand how to safely downgrade to the stock S10 kernel - install cwm - and Carefully read [re-read] through the developer's threads if you want to use their work. Questions pertaining directly to current alternate fw/roms belong in those threads.

Want to improve [do more with] your Novel? Start with the wiki and lawman's original guide Placeholder WIP: FAQ before you hack: ADB (Android Debug Bridge) setup
Please - Remember - Any alterations you perform on your wpdn are at your own risk.

Good luck, and welcome to SlateDroid.

:drinks:
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#3 aakaakaak

aakaakaak

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks MrsBurnout!

From the looks of it they stopped development prior to a stable release. :(

I'll pore over everything when I have the time. Maybe I'll be able to glean a few nuggets of wisdom to maximize what I currently have.

Have an excellent day.

#4 sam5324

sam5324

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Can we assume no nuggets were found since the string has ended?