• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 bugeyed

bugeyed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Removing the PDN bottom coversCaution: Be careful not to put too much pressure on the display, there's glass under there! The larger back cover slides down away from the smaller cover. (there's is a seam on the back that divides the two). It is held in place internally by 2 strips of double sided tape, one on each side. Start by working a thin plastic tool (guitar pick) into the horizontal seam under the Pandigital logo. The cover is held securely by clips on the sides & one in the center of the seam. As you open the seam, you are trying to overcome the grasp of the double sided tape & that's all. Be sure & slide the cover down sufficiently (1/8") before you try to lift it up. Once you move it far enough to hear the hold of the tape let go, you should be able to lift the cover off. There is nothing electrical connected to the back cover. In the video, the double sided tape has already been removed & the cover slides open more easily than the first time. It is not necessary to remove the tape, as it will loose some of it's holding power & the cover will usually be easier to remove in subsequent attempts. YouTube - Pandigital Novel long mini review Part 2Pictures borrowed from oneglory. Thanks. The screws are from the gray assembly & not the back cover.Posted ImageRemoving the smaller (upper) back coverThis info is a bit more sketchy, as I have not found detailed instructions, instead it is a collection of tips from those who have done it.• The top of the backplate will be where the most resistance is. • What I found is that you need to get the upper right side loose first (if looking from the back) - once that's loose, you basically pry it off from there. It is very difficult to get off, even after the tape is detached. Every time I've done it, I was sure I broke the damn thing because you get that cracking sound that makes your hair stand on end.• This cover does not slide to be lifted off like the larger cover. Instead you pry the sides OUT, because the tabs that hold it on push straight IN. Once you get those it's a matter of overcoming your fear and pulling hard enough to tear loose from the tape. Also, be smart. The top doesn't slide, but it has to be pushed UP to clear the switches. and remove the sd card.Posted ImageI will update this as info comes to my attention. Please add to this thread if you have videos or more detail & I will add it to this.Cheers,kev

#2 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

could I convince you to add this to the wiki?

#3 bugeyed

bugeyed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Yes sir, just wasn't sure anyone reads the wiki & I want someone to elaborate on the removal of the small cover. I haven't done it & will not unless I have a need. I'm pretty god at instructional documents, but I don't find much to work with for the upper cover.

#4 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

If we in the old guard start using the wiki, others will too. The burden of responsibility, I know.

#5 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Oh, and btw, for the small (top) part of the back you pry the sides OUT, because the tabs that hold it on push straight IN. Once you get those it's a matter of overcoming your fear and pulling hard enough to tear loose from the tape. Also, be smart. The top doesn't slide, but it has to be pushed UP to clear the switches. and remove the sd card.

#6 bugeyed

bugeyed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

I added this info to my post above. BTW I think my instructions would go well with the stickied "ladies-gents-your-viewing-pleasure-guts-novel-high-res". Maybe change the title. Right now I am struggling with how to add a wiki page & don't have the ability to include the guts info if I do create a wiki page. I guess it should be under "Useful articles", or do we want to add a PDN page?kP.S. If this shows up twice, it's not my fault! I swear I posted this about 2 hrs. ago, but It's gone!!!!

#7 WIK

WIK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

You just need to flip the Novel over and lay it on your lap screen side down. Jam your fingernails of left hand (if you don't have any fingernails, you'll need to wait a couple of weeks for them to grow) in between where the big and small panels meet, just below the big etched Pandigital logo. Pull/slide away from the logo while at the same time using your fingertips on your right hand to hold and apply pressure in the opposite direction on the screen section just below the speakers and speaker jack. Don't pry upward. Make sure you do this over something soft like a chair our couch in case you drop it. No sticky tape to worry about (in my case) and slid off nicely. Once you get it off once, it seems to slide off pretty easily the next time.

#8 bugeyed

bugeyed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

away[/B] from the logo while at the same time using your fingertips on your right hand to hold and apply pressure in the opposite direction on the screen section just below the speakers and speaker jack. Don't pry upward. Make sure you do this over something soft like a chair our couch in case you drop it. No sticky tape to worry about (in my case) and slid off nicely. Once you get it off once, it seems to slide off pretty easily the next time.

What part of your post do you think should be added to the Original Post? Kev

#9 kram1984

kram1984

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

I found the back panel on mine slipped down slightly just from normal use (1/16th inch?) and then fairly easily came off just by some moderate friction/pressure pushing it down (towards screen) slightly and pulling it towards the bottom of the novel, without prying anything in the top edge. The top panel.... haven't really attempted to remove that yet, maybe tomorrow as I want to look at where the touchscreen is connected to the PCB.

#10 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

Top panel is definitely scary - when you pry it off it does sound like you broke it (but it should be OK). The OP described it pretty well.

#11 tipstir

tipstir

Plagerist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

I never seen this post before and figured it out on my own. Just push down it the cover came off. Take out the microSDHC non-brand name chip wasn't that hard either unlock and flip up the metal bracket popup the chip. The other brands you have remove screws some you have to take off the top plastic layer remove 4 tinny tiny screw to lift up to to the battery.

#12 kram1984

kram1984

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

well I also ripped my PDN open... was just too curious.... Not really any more suggestions for removing the top portion, Except... I used a screwdriver to slightly lift where there are two depressions in the grey near each side. This allowed me to pry off and get the tape to release before I got any of the snaps/clips off. I slid the screwdriver in to hold the area open, then also used a pair of flat tweezers to detach the tape. Then after trying everything, I went back to that right side as suggested, and got both the snaps to pop out easily (even though I'd tried it several times there before...) by sliding the tweezer in along the edge, then worked my way around the edge. No damage (dings to plastic, etc) anywhere :).Then I took the board off and didnt realize the sticky tape under the battery cover portion... almost broke speaker and/or got dust in touchscreen. So, I just sealed it all up without trying to look at the reference voltages like I planned to troubleshoot the touchscreen jitter like I'd planned. No hardware mods for me

#13 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,289 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

@kram1984 Here is what the inside looks like :)http://www.slatedroi...l-high-res.html

#14 kram1984

kram1984

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

@kram1984 Here is what the inside looks like :)http://www.slatedroi...l-high-res.html

Um thanks I said I had just opened up the inside though ^.^ so I know.... oO except for under the shields, I didn't lift those two shields off.

#15 digdug1

digdug1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

I didn't encounter any sticky tape on my Kohl's version. Bottom was easy to slide off. The top was a little harder as mentioned above. I just used a small screwdriver, pop off the two latches underneath the Pandigital logo, and then pop off the tap on the right side first and worked my way around.PS: Make sure to remove your ext SD card.

#16 fatwhy

fatwhy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

I removed the cover from mine as well (BBB version) and don't see any tape either. hmmm. I seen hand written letters on the microSD card also.

#17 derelicte

derelicte

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

I think they have done away with the tape. only the early ones have it.

#18 bac522

bac522

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

Pandigital has a nice write up with pictures on how to remove the cover:Pandigital » Pandigital Novel Android Open Platform kit. (White version)

#19 chaznfld

chaznfld

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

I've recently purchased another couple of WPDN's for Xmas presents and have noticed that the two sided tape is no longer being used on the back cover. Anyone else experience this?

#20 bac522

bac522

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

I've recently purchased another couple of WPDN's for Xmas presents and have noticed that the two sided tape is no longer being used on the back cover. Anyone else experience this?

Recent models no longer have the tape.