• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gybemark

gybemark

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Hi,
I've just got a Huawei E353 3G USB dongle for my Crystal, and astonishingly it does actually work just by plugging it in and being patient.
But the weird thing is that after using it and then unplugging it, I can no longer see or connect to any WiFi network, even ones I previously had defined.
It just says nothing is in range.
The only way I can make WiFi work again afterwards is by doing a full factory reset of the Crystal, or a CMR Restore to a backup taken before I plugged the dongle in!!
Any ideas why this might be the case, or a less drastic recovery action I can take to get WiFi working again after using the dongle?
I tried clearing the cache in CMR but that had no effect.
Any suggestions very welcome,
thanks
gybemark
Batch 2 Crystal, Stock 1108 ROM.

#2 gybemark

gybemark

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

I've finally figured it out.
When I plug in the dongle, it adds a row to the 'secure' table in /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db with:
name='wifi_country_code'
value='gb'
This seems to break the WiFi. Maybe gb isn't a valid value.
Anyway, if I use sqlite3 to delete this row (which isn't there at all by default in my stock ROM) the Wifi works again :-)

#3 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Nice find! I added this to "User Submitted Mods/Tweaks/Zips" in Crystal Clear under tigger-gg's build.prop changes to enable 3G dongles and I credited you.
If I've helped you set-up your new tablet, unbrick your device or if you use and enjoy my Amlogic AML8726-M Series ROM's
please consider a donation.
My ROMS - *Crystal Clear (Ainol Crystal) *Anti-Hero (Ainol Hero) *Elenari (Ainol Elf2) *Astronautica (Ainol Aurora2) *Karbonn Custom (Karbonn SmartTab ST8 & ST10)
My DEVICES - *HP Touchpad *Ainol Crystal *Ainol Hero *Ainol Fire *Cube U30GT Mini-S *Nexus 7 (2013)
I don't respond to most PM's just because of the amount I get. If you have a question the best way to get an answer is to post in one of my threads.

My Ainol Crystal "Get Started" Guide. ----- My "How To Unbrick Your Amlogic AML8726-MX Series Tablet" Guide. ----- Go check out my music - It's all free!!!

#4 gybemark

gybemark

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thank you :-)