Sanei N78 Cannot Root?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 mill3rkydd

mill3rkydd

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Ok so I just got my Sanei N78 tablet in the mail. Overall, great tablet, but the battery life is kinda bad and I can't get all of the apps on the Play Store (twitter, chrome). I found out how to change this with root. The problem is, I've tried Zhuodashi 2.2.0 and 2.2.9, and the modded SuperOneClick, but it always freezes on Step 7 when I click root and stops when I click "Shell root". I tried UnlockRoot, but it says I need to get the pro version for shell root, and I have never paid to root, and I DO NOT plan on it! I already have my drivers from MoboRobo so that's good. Sometimes, I even get a message that says "adbd can't run on production builds". Can anyone help me with this? It's running 4.1.1. :help: :unsure: Thank you!

EDIT: Maybe I should find the firmware first? I think I found something, but my computer literally says it will take 1 day to download? Can anyone help me find this? I don't know ANY chinese lol

Edited by mill3rkydd, 26 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#2 bunanson

bunanson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

I got one too. Very impressive with the tablet. Any luck rooting it? TIA,

bun

#3 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

no you can't root this tablet, you just can root the sanei ampe firmwares before december, i tried several method (kingroot, superoneclick,zhuodashi) and several firmwares on my sanei n83, but nothing, only the first one from sanei\ampe n\a86 works, BUT DON'T TRY IT ON YOUR TABLET!
I'LL EXPLAIN YOU WHY

Maybe you can help me here with a very similar tablet

SANEI N83

I posted the UNBRICK mask rom method here
http://www.flashmyan...-HINTS-BUT-HELP
maybe it could be useful, and you can help me too.

You can look at my other post too

Edited by esclusoilcane, 04 February 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#4 mongoose

mongoose

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

rooting is possible, I did it on my ampe a86 / sanei n86

follow this thread

http://www.slatedroi...mg-rk3066-help/

#5 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

rooting is possible, I did it on my ampe a86 / sanei n86

follow this thread

http://www.slatedroi...mg-rk3066-help/

Surely an interesting topic yours, unfortunately it could be difficult for someone without linux competence, just like me :)
Can you explain with an easy guide for windows users, what kind of software did you use to unpack kernel.img from boot.img after extracting it with wendal tools?
I'd like to use kernel.img with rktools, in fact kernel.img is the only file that wendal doesn't extract from update.img. I was hoping that putting kernel.img, with all other update.img parts, parameter and loader 1.18, in rktools maybe would solve my touch screen problem. In which way is all this related to root?
THANK YOU

Edited by esclusoilcane, 04 February 2013 - 07:03 AM.

#6 mongoose

mongoose

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

the problem is that kernel is not apart, it is embeded in boot.img. and after splitting cannot be put together again. Luckily, wendal´s tools can make image back boot & kernel apart, but before that you have to modify wendal´s tool

After you unpack the image you need to edit the package-file and remove the # sign in front of "kernel"
Then just copy your new kernel and boot img into the /temp/Image folder and repack

I hadn´t used linux before, so everyone can do it.

follow this thread where I got all the info

http://www.freaktab....-Finless/page17

pages 1 & 17

#7 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Surely I'll try now it has bebome my nerdish hobby:), despite you say that kernel is inside boot.img, so my idea of uploading it using rktool as a different file and hoping this works repairing for magic my inverted touch screen, probably won't work.
I found also this post

http://smartpad810c....-in-cramfs.html

that talk about updating wendal tools using eldiau plugin, I'll try to understand if it could be someway useful.

My other question still remain

http://www.slatedroi...-mask-rom-mode/

and maybe could be useful to understand more about this rockchip and its tools.
What can be wrong in my tries to make my touch screen work? I put tablet in mask rom mode, i erase nand with rktools, why this screen acts inverted?

#8 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

the problem is that kernel is not apart, it is embeded in boot.img. and after splitting cannot be put together again. Luckily, wendal´s tools can make image back boot & kernel apart, but before that you have to modify wendal´s tool

After you unpack the image you need to edit the package-file and remove the # sign in front of "kernel"
Then just copy your new kernel and boot img into the /temp/Image folder and repack

I hadn´t used linux before, so everyone can do it.

follow this thread where I got all the info

http://www.freaktab....-Finless/page17

pages 1 & 17

Sorry moongoose but I think I'm really unable to use this terminal commands, i tried hundred times and i do always something wrong.
Can you help me with my boot.img maybe splitting it in kernel and rooting it in the way you know.
My hope is to find a software for root to recalibrate my touch screen, anyway we can also share a rooted firmware to other people with sanei n83 or ampe a85
THANKS!!!

here is the boot.img extracted with wendal from sanei n83 rk3066 december firmware

http://dl.dropbox.co...193024/boot.img

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

#9 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

P.s. Yes I tried in Ubuntu terminal but no results. Maybe for you will be easier:) Thanks

#10 mongoose

mongoose

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

most of my problems with ubuntu where the i386 libraries for 64 bit. manybe that is your case

I have formatted my pc so I have to start from scratch as well.

#11 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Uhm no,I open terminal in folder and it always says something that doesn't work. Anyway I really cannot go on to root after extracting kernel.
If you have some spare time to work on my boot it will be surely a great help for me, we can share it to others too if it works, but fell free, it's just a favour if you can.
THANKS

#12 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

SANEI N83 KERNEL AND BOOT

it was really difficult but maybe i did it!!!!!!!!

to tell everything it is not so easy you have to:
  • install ubuntu (use wubi)
  • understand what being root means (use chmod 777, sudo etc etc)
  • surviving to the many error message (http://superuser.com...the-file-exists)
  • downloading ghex (sudo apt-get install ghex)
  • pushing your backspace after find
ing the code for 10 minutes to delete all previous zeroes

after that
Type ./rkcrc -k customboot.gz boot.img

in this way i have a boot.img file of 1.9 m and a kernel.img file of 7.3 m. Are they the files we search for?
here they are

http://dl.dropbox.co...193024/boot.img
http://dl.dropbox.co...3024/kernel.img

now i'll try to flash them with finless tools, my parameter and my other files to see what happens

Edited by esclusoilcane, 05 February 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#13 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Uhm no resolution for my touch scree i tried a magic sequence first uploading boot+kernel separated with rktools but it doesn't start, after that restoring with rk batch tools and again as before with touches inverted
Can you tell me how to root this boot and kernel files (i think you said you did in this way) because maybe i'll try to search for an apk to recalibrate screen after rooted?
THANK YOU MONGOOSE

#14 mongoose

mongoose

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

try to do step 4 with split-bootimg in another folder

./split-bootimg.pl boot.img

the resulting kernel_temp.img has no zeros to delete

do the steps again in another folder with unpack-bootimg as described and replace kernel_temp.img with the edited in the other folder (split_bootimg ) before step 7

Edited by mongoose, 05 February 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#15 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

try to do step 4 with split-bootimg in another folder

./split-bootimg.pl boot.img

the resulting kernel_temp.img has no zeros to delete

do the steps again in another folder with unpack-bootimg as described and replace kernel_temp.img with the edited in the other folder (split_bootimg ) before step 7

ok but i think i arrived at the end yet, what i'd like to ask is how all this files are related to root, for example, what is the use of these commands

Type cd boot.img-ramdisk
Type sudo find . -exec touch -d "1970-01-01 01:00" {} \;
Type sudo find . ! -name "." | sort | sudo cpio -oa -H newc | sudo gzip -n >../customboot.gz
Type cd ../

Type ./rkcrc -k customboot.gz boot.img

have i to change ro secure in default.prop in ram disk folder by hand before doing these commands?

#16 mongoose

mongoose

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

those don´t have to do with rooting, they are intructions to change date , if not won´t work.

yes modify default.prop to

ro.secure=0

ro.debuggable=1

and then continue adding supersu and su to system

Edited by mongoose, 06 February 2013 - 03:36 AM.

#17 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Ok, strange i did everything: i deleted zeroes before D in kernel.img, i changed default.prop in ram disk, i repacked, i obtained the 2 files we are talking about (boot.img=boot.img+kernel.img), i worked in wendal deleting # before kernel, so
- I deleted the 10 megs boot.img and repacked boot+kernel+otherfiles in wendal_new and update and restore with rk batch
or
- i did put them in rktools (the one from finless tools) with system.img+misc.img+parameter+recovery.img
but
result is the same: reboot freezes after the first picture of the sanei logo, so start to flash. I tried this in reflash mode or in mask rom mode, the same.
If i reflash with the old update.img everything turns back to normal (except for my inverted touch screen) :(

p.s. i cannot work in system wendal doesn't open it for me, i was programming to root after with zhuodash, thinking that changing default.prop would help me

Where did I do something wrong?

Edited by esclusoilcane, 06 February 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#18 mongoose

mongoose

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

hard to say.... steps seem right, although I tried this only once and worked.

as soon as I have time, I´ll do it myself and post so you can test.

good thing is that you/we have learned a lot during the process!

Edited by mongoose, 06 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#19 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

OH YEAH for sure!
Ok when I'll be back home I'll reupload the 10M boot.img file, so maybe you can edit for me, anyway if you have spare time here is all n83 rk3066 firmware from chinese site

#20 esclusoilcane

esclusoilcane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Firmware

http://www.szsanei.c...011-08/0254.rar