Survey: Preferred ROM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 griago

griago

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

Which is your preferred ROM for your Fire (and why)?

• Original
  • Feiyu 1031
  • Feiyu 0115
  • Cyanogenmod 10
  • Cyanogenmod 10.1
  • Flambe
  • AOKP
  • Other

#2 rnakpatel

rnakpatel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Feiyu 0115

#3 tingtong

tingtong

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

0115?

i couldbe happy with any, even stock, if the touchscreen would work flowlessly...

#4 alpine101

alpine101

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Feiyu 1022 Beta. Seems fine for me and I've never felt the need to go higher. Not looking at JB since its changes from ICS are pretty trivial and the standard ICS clock is prettier! I have added the patch to raise the LCD backlight frequency.

Edited by alpine101, 24 January 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#5 NeB

NeB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

CM 10.1

Christian made an awesome job by making my Fire much more smooth than with the stock rom.

#6 ainolpk

ainolpk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationLahore

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Threads like these should not be allowed, all developers should be given equal respect.

#7 tingtong

tingtong

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Threads like these should not be allowed, all developers should be given equal respect.

while it wont be a world chaning thread, the respect might be there ;)
after all feiju's old 1031 is also on the list, though of course he moved on to JB a while ago...
there is 2x CM10...
or Flambe is on the list, and it wasnt supported for about 2 months or so now...
and still there is other.

but i have to give you that instead i would be happy an official JB 4.2 maybe by now?
will it ever happen? not in this life.
if i learned something so far about Ainol, that they dont support even their flagship products, only trying to roll out new, but i doubt with a growing reputation in the light of this.

#8 Vangelis

Vangelis

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

I do not agree with you on that.

It is obvious and self-evident that we end users respect all of the developers' hard work and voluntary contribution to the community.

However, given the numerous and varied ROMs offered (and this is something that we should really appreciate), the new user should have an indication to what most of the community chooses. It's not a losing game, but a positive vote.

If I were a new member here, or a new buyer of a Fire, I'd definitely want to have this thread before me. It would give me a direction. For example, although trial and error works out best most of the times, it would have saved me time and effort if I knew beforehand that AOKP was not as frequently updated as CM10.1 before installing it.

EDIT: I prefer CM10.1, obviously. ^_^ I love the hybrid UI, plus it is the most compatible Play Store ROM I ever tried. I have been through 0907, Flambe V3, feiyu's 1031, 0103, and recently CM10.1. When Feiyu releases a $.2.1 version, I'll also give it a try.

Edited by Vangelis, 25 January 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#9 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

As a developer for the Ainol Crystal, I also disagree. I often recommend Christian's ROM's if a user wants something that my ROM doesn't offer. It's about what works best for people's needs.
If I've helped you set-up your new tablet, unbrick your device or if you use and enjoy my Amlogic AML8726-M Series ROM's
please consider a donation.
My ROMS - *Crystal Clear (Ainol Crystal) *Anti-Hero (Ainol Hero) *Elenari (Ainol Elf2) *Astronautica (Ainol Aurora2) *Karbonn Custom (Karbonn SmartTab ST8 & ST10)
My DEVICES - *HP Touchpad *Ainol Crystal *Ainol Hero *Ainol Fire *Cube U30GT Mini-S *Nexus 7 (2013)
I don't respond to most PM's just because of the amount I get. If you have a question the best way to get an answer is to post in one of my threads.

My Ainol Crystal "Get Started" Guide. ----- My "How To Unbrick Your Amlogic AML8726-MX Series Tablet" Guide. ----- Go check out my music - It's all free!!!

#10 griago

griago

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

I'm sorry for my poor english. :)

I think that knowledge is never bad.

I, as all newbies, want to know in one thread differences between ROMs to choose a ROM that best suits my needs. Other threads are dispersive.

I don't ask "which is the best ROM?", but "Which is your preferred ROM for your Fire (and why)?". "Why" is the key for a newbie like me.

I tried most of the ROMs. I personally prefer the 1031 Feiyu that i found more stable and compatible than the 0115 Feiyu (maybe this is my fault).

#11 MGK001

MGK001

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Maybe I've missed something but I keep seeing various firmwares referred to & I'm damned if I can find them.
Is there any way we could have a single thread with the various firmwares contained in it?

(maybe I'm just rubbish with the search function here but if anyone who can point me at Cyanogenmod 10.1 I'd be grateful, I keep having the wi-fi drop out every now & again and I reckon it's a software thing, I hope :unsure: )

#12 marcusbrutus

marcusbrutus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I went from Original, to Feiyu 1031, to Flambe and now I'm on Feiyu 0115.
I'd say 0115 is my current preferred as it has fixes for most of the problems I've encountered, it's dead simple to install, it's more modern, there's not a whole heap of extra applications, and it *feels* slicker, if not faster. I can live without automatic brightness for now.

#13 marcusbrutus

marcusbrutus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Maybe I've missed something but I keep seeing various firmwares referred to & I'm damned if I can find them.
Is there any way we could have a single thread with the various firmwares contained in it?

(maybe I'm just rubbish with the search function here but if anyone who can point me at Cyanogenmod 10.1 I'd be grateful, I keep having the wi-fi drop out every now & again and I reckon it's a software thing, I hope :unsure: )

At the top of the Ainol Novo 7 Fire forum is a subforum section which contains Firmware / Development

Edited by marcusbrutus, 30 January 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#14 MGK001

MGK001

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

At the top of the Ainol Novo 7 Fire forum is a subforum section which contains Firmware / Development

I must have had blindness strike over the last couple of days, completely missed it and only just noticed before I looked here to see if anyone had replied.

*feeling like a pillock* :huh:

#15 papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Feiyu 130 seems to be running very well.
I want to share my tablet with my kid so I am anxious to get JB 4.2 on. Looks like Christian has made great strides with CM10.1 so that's where I want to go, although I had not luck getting it up and working with the instructions in that thread (maybe having upgraded from Feiyu 4.0.4 to this latest build will help bridge the gap)

#16 marcusbrutus

marcusbrutus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

I went from Original, to Feiyu 1031, to Flambe and now I'm on Feiyu 0115.
I'd say 0115 is my current preferred as it has fixes for most of the problems I've encountered, it's dead simple to install, it's more modern, there's not a whole heap of extra applications, and it *feels* slicker, if not faster. I can live without automatic brightness for now.

Now on Feiyu "Happy Spring Festival" 0130 firmware with libcamera_client.so fix (taken from Flambe ROM I had lying around as I couldn't find 1031).
The camera fix was actually only required for bar-code scanning, as the camera app itself works fine as long as you do full wipes prior to flashing.
Feels pretty good so far, and no other issues found yet.

#17 freddy5

freddy5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

8. other

Feiyu 0103 :yahoo: I'm very happy with my NOW popping free Fire 8)

best regards.

Ainol Novo7Fire @4.2.2-20130506.qm.v5

#18 Steve8x8

Steve8x8

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I had stuck to 0815 (original) for long, then moved to Flambe (V15+f), and when development ceased there, I decided to move on.
Next was CM 10.1 (20121221) which was running along happily until I made a mistake...
I have looked into PA 2.99 shortly, it's fast, but doesn't export the external SD. I didn't check whether it could handle multiple external disks.
Going back to 10.1 (20130202) now. Not sure it'll be the last word.

#19 Nolatux

Nolatux

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

8. other

Feiyu 0103 :yahoo: I'm very happy with my NOW popping free Fire 8)

best regards.

The popping is a MAJOR annoyance but, if you turn off system touch sounds, it's practally non-existent in feiyu's latest (Happy Spring).

Edited by Nolatux, 03 February 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#20 Eriol

Eriol

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Currently: 5. Cyanogenmod 10.1 - Android 4.2.1 is an awesome improvement, and CM is open source. With the latest comapitbility zips by Christian Troy the ROM shares advantages in battery consumption with the latest Feiyu ROM.

Future: 8. Other - probably Paranoid Android. Once this ROM will be running as stable and full featured as CM on Fire I might change to PA. Open Source as well.

I wish Ainol would publish and share the full source codes for Fire ROMs, including drivers and hardware and software ports.

Eriol
Gadgets:
tablet - Ainol Novo 7 Fire QM with Android 4.2.2 (feiyu 1011)
phone - Samsung Galaxy S3 with stock Android 4.1.2
desktop - Asus AMD barebone with Kubuntu 12.10
notebook - HP Pavilion with Windows 8 and HP Elitebook with Windows 7