Barnes and Noble error message...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ghenry

ghenry

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

I've put a few Anne McCaffery ebooks on our 2 Pandigital 9" units and and getting the same error message on them both after trying to read for a little while...less than half an hour..
I get ...

'activity Barnes and Noble (in application Barnes and Noble) is not responding' [force close] or [wait]

if I choose force close, I have to restart the ebook only to have the same result after about the same amount of time...if I choose wait..it will sometimes lock up to the point of having to power it down... or rarely it will continue on so I can read the book again, only until the same amount of time passes then up pops the same message.

can anyone tell me how to fix this or if anyone else has had the same problem?
Seems odd that this happens on both of our new readers.

Thanks for any input / help

#2 edca2002

edca2002

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

since nobody's offered any suggestions, I'll throw in my 2 cents: Does the same error happen on other books? Have you tried another reader app like Aldiko on the same book? I assume you've powered down and back up and still get the same problem?

The only way I can think to try to track down the issue is to look at the logcat output. I'm not sure if you're up for that or not. There are two ways, either with an app like alogcat that you can get from http://code.google.c....3.apk&can=2&q= or getting an adb connection working from your computer. The app approach is probably easier.

#3 ghenry

ghenry

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

since nobody's offered any suggestions, I'll throw in my 2 cents: Does the same error happen on other books? Have you tried another reader app like Aldiko on the same book? I assume you've powered down and back up and still get the same problem?

The only way I can think to try to track down the issue is to look at the logcat output. I'm not sure if you're up for that or not. There are two ways, either with an app like alogcat that you can get from http://code.google.c....3.apk&can=2&q= or getting an adb connection working from your computer. The app approach is probably easier.

thanks for your help...
powering down doesn't change anything..I have 2 identical Panfigital 9" doing the same thing...I haven't tried any other reader software like Aldiko as I know nothing about that or how to change to it.
I downloaded alogcat but have no idea what to do with it..I downloaded it on my computer only...should I have it on the Pandigital? and how do I use it ?
I'm very new to tablets / ereaders so please bear with my novice mentality.
I do appreciate your help!
thanks,
ghenry

#4 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,289 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I don't have the 9 inch Novel but want to throw a couple questions/suggestions in here.

What FW is on your device? Stock?/Alternate?
Menu/Settings/About Device/...

Are your books on the internal memory or are they stored on an external SD card?
are the pdf/epub files complete?

Is the battery completely charged?

Have you tried a "hard" re-set? press and hold power for 10 secs until the novel reboots [re: stock user guide]
or a factory data reset? <-- Back up all downloads/data you want saved before performing this.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#5 ghenry

ghenry

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

I don't have the 9 inch Novel but want to throw a couple questions/suggestions in here.

What FW is on your device? Stock?/Alternate?
Menu/Settings/About Device/...

Are your books on the internal memory or are they stored on an external SD card?
are the pdf/epub files complete?

Is the battery completely charged?

Have you tried a "hard" re-set? press and hold power for 10 secs until the novel reboots [re: stock user guide]
or a factory data reset? <-- Back up all downloads/data you want saved before performing this.

Thanks for your input and suggestions..

they are running stock firmware
..tried both pdf and epub versions of the same books...
tried on both internal memory and on SD card...
did the hard reset...nothing works to solve the problem...
did a factory data reset on one unit and as it didn't solve the problem, I didn't bother doing that on the second unit.
thanks for suggestions...all are appreciated

#6 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,289 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

The only other thing I can think of is that when wi-fi is on and background sync enabled, an app [or more than one] could be disrupting the reader app and forcing it to close.

Check that in Menu/Settings/Accounts & Sync/Background data <-- when selected an app can sync/send/receive data at any time

You can also stop individual apps [if you know the disruptive culprit ... email? facebook? weather?]
Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/...
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#7 ghenry

ghenry

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

The only other thing I can think of is that when wi-fi is on and background sync enabled, an app [or more than one] could be disrupting the reader app and forcing it to close.

Check that in Menu/Settings/Accounts & Sync/Background data <-- when selected an app can sync/send/receive data at any time

You can also stop individual apps [if you know the disruptive culprit ... email? facebook? weather?]
Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/...

thanks for the suggestions...I just altered both units , disabling wifi, background sync etc..I will post results after we try reading our books tonight.
Many thanks for the help and suggestions !

#8 ghenry

ghenry

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

ok, I'm back to square one...disabling wifi and sync didn't help...still getting same message after the same amount of time opr pages read...any other suggestion will be appreciated
Thanks !

#9 edca2002

edca2002

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

If you're up for trying the other apps, just put them on an sdcard, or transfer them over usb, or wifi or something to your Novel. From your home screen go to Settings... Applications... and select "Unknown Sources" (this step may not be necessary). Then find the file using the file explorer/manager on your Novel, tap on the icon, and it should install the app.

To use alogcat, immediately after your reader closes, start alogcat and immediately go to Settings and choose pause, then go into Settings again and press Save. It will save a log file that might have some useful error messages in it. You can upload it for us to look at.

You can also get the Aldiko app from https://aldiko.zendesk.com/home if you want to try that route.

#10 ghenry

ghenry

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm back...been away for awhile...what I would like to try now is to change the firmware on my 9" from American to Canadian...this should cure the problem as I can't link to Barnes and Noble from my area...can anyone steer me to Canadian firmware for 9" Pandigital ?
thanks..