Uh oh... Dead pixel.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thatsgreatbob

thatsgreatbob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Well, my OCD nature found a problem. There is a white pixel on my Imagine 7. Bad luck has stricken me once more : / I'm assuming since it's rooted, the warranty id void, therefore I'm stuck with a white pixel. My GBA SP had one, my PSP had two, now my tablet has one. *le sigh*

Tried running pixel fixers on it, ya know, the apps that flash all those pretty colors? Yeah, no luck. I noticed the pixel while reading an ebook last night with a nighttime theme with a dark colored paper background. When you hold the device vertically, the pixel is either at the top left corner of the screen, or, when flipped 360, directly in the center of the battery meter on the bottom right.

Edited by thatsgreatbob, 22 January 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#2 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Well, my OCD nature found a problem. There is a white pixel on my Imagine 7. Bad luck has stricken me once more : / I'm assuming since it's rooted, the warranty id void, therefore I'm stuck with a white pixel. My GBA SP had one, my PSP had two, now my tablet has one. *le sigh*

Tried running pixel fixers on it, ya know, the apps that flash all those pretty colors? Yeah, no luck. I noticed the pixel while reading an ebook last night with a nighttime theme with a dark colored paper background. When you hold the device vertically, the pixel is either at the top left corner of the screen, or, when flipped 360, directly in the center of the battery meter on the bottom right.

Being a hardware issue that can't be cause by root i would still contact customer service. If the warranty is voided, then you could try manipulating the pixel, since it is white it is likely a stuck pixel versus a dead pixel..

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#3 thatsgreatbob

thatsgreatbob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

I sent them an email at support@skytex.com. My product was registered, so, I'm hoping it's covered. Here is a copy of the email I sent. I'll update if they reply.

"Hello, my name is *. I registered my product Model: ST7012BLK with the serial number of S/N: *

It has a dead/stuck pixel in the screen. I would like to know if this is covered under the tablet's warranty and if so, what the process would be and how much, if anything, it would cost to have it fixed. However, my tablet is rooted, so, I'm unsure if that voids the warranty. I've had the tablet for only nearly a month or so.

Thank you."

#4 thatsgreatbob

thatsgreatbob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

They replied and I replied back.

Them: "Hello, ****

Could you take a picture of your device and email that back to me? I can forward that to our technicians so they can take a further look and give a preliminary diagnoses on your device. " Then he included his name and more contact info.

So, I sent them these images, though, you can't see it with my camera unless it's in macro mode.

Attached File  close up.jpg   166.17KB   5 downloads

Attached File  full marked.jpg   245.51KB   5 downloads

#5 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

They replied and I replied back.

Them: "Hello, ****

Could you take a picture of your device and email that back to me? I can forward that to our technicians so they can take a further look and give a preliminary diagnoses on your device. " Then he included his name and more contact info.

So, I sent them these images, though, you can't see it with my camera unless it's in macro mode.

Attached File  close up.jpg   166.17KB   5 downloads

Attached File  full marked.jpg   245.51KB   5 downloads

That's good. hopefully you will get good news.

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#6 thatsgreatbob

thatsgreatbob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Well $#!7, no luck for me. Kind of disappointed in customer service. Oh well, guess my case can serve as a warning an example to future buyers. If you intend to have your tablet warranted, don't root it.

Their reply:

"Hello ****,

Since the device was rooted, that would void the warranty for the device. If you would still like to send it in for repairs, I can process a repair case for your device. Once our technicians can take a look at the device and perform diagnostics, we will contact you for the repair and shipping fee."

Paying for repairs AND shipping, that I have no clue how much would be, isn't worth it for one dead pixel. I guess I'll just give 'er a name and make it my lil friend.

Edited by thatsgreatbob, 24 January 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#7 thespecv

thespecv

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

I wouldn't bother exchanging it, even if it was free. Dead/ stuck pixels are why I gave up on this device. The first one had two in a not so obvious location. Returned and exchanged twice and each exchange had more noticeable pixels issues than the last. I eventually gave up and bought a Nexus.

If its just one and you can live with it, (Relative, as I am OCD about that stuff too) it's not worth the likely chance that the replacement will be worse. Either I was very unlucky or they are having QC issues with the screen.

Edited by thespecv, 10 February 2013 - 11:32 AM.