Announcing the arrival of PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.1

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#161 FergusL

FergusL

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Sorry for bothering this thread (and more generally this section) but most of the things discussed here have equally been related to MK808 and UG802.

I posted in the MK808 section about the version sold as "Ipegtop" on usual websites. Same question here, did anybody try these with Picuntu?
Link to the thread: http://www.slatedroi...n-with-picuntu/

#162 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Is this SOLVED? I read you're edit "power management issue" I'm assuming you've solved then?

Kudos to the creators of picuntu! Although I was obviously running through all the problems that have been mentioned in the postings here i managed to install picuntu on my mk808 \:D/ . There are some other things that I encountered, i hope this is the right place to report bugs:

I've setup 20 MK808s now and haven't ran into any of these problems. I've connected to other 808s and other Linux and windows and android devices. Ssh, SQL everything works perfect.

Make absolutely sure after you download the linuxroot rootfs or after your done building it with pre-Picuntu that any files you copy or archive or unarchive with tar have permissions preserved. You can add -p to any tar command to preserve while taring / untaring. and also use -a to preserve attributes when copying. I've had weird problems on and off when I forget my sd card is preformatted fat32 when shipped or when I forget to preserve permissions etc... Which link to which linuxroot fs are you using?
To copy
# cp -a ./source /destination
To compress
# tar pcvzf file name.tar.gz
To uncompressed
# tar pxvzf filename.tar.gz

Also what type of storage device are you using? If sdcard which class? If USB storage max read/write? Have you tried other wireless devices other than internal wifi? Do you have any other miniDevices you can test Picuntu on? I can suggest several working devices if you need suggestions. $4 you got wifi lol yeah it eats a USB port but until we worked the wifi drivers for internal it was the way I had to install Picuntu on the first 10 units.

Edited by JustinTime4Tea, 06 February 2013 - 12:02 AM.

_.-=/ Here we go again! Ubuntu 12.10 on ARM the way it's meant to be experienced! Easy, Optimized and now even smaller. \=-._

.-=/ Open GL ES GOODIES! \=-.

. - ( *_Quake-3_*- .. -*_GLTron_*- .. -*_Playstation_Emulator_*- .. -*_XBMC with AddOns!_[COME and get IT!]* ) - .

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

. - ( *_XChat FREE Direct Live Help and Growing Community!_*- .. -* Joomla 3.1 Quick Professional Modern Website Easy as 1-2-3 *- .. -* HW Support: Webcams, Hubs, PS3Remote, much more *- .. -* too much to list! Download now and enjoy! Join us using XChat and lets plan the next release together!_* ) - .

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-='/ home://io ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#163 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Just recieved bionic lapdock just awaiting adapters. From my continued reading it looks as though atrix and bionic dock are allmost identical except the extra USB ports are positioned better on bionic and you stil have access to headphone jack if using a Motorola device. Speaking of the hardware though are android and linux drivers universal accross other Linux and android as long as the kernel is the same? Can I use the lapdock drivers for the keyboard input on any android device if I insmod the module and copy firmware to correct location? Reason I ask is I have hacked my original droid to fit and work with the lapdock screen but keyboard is unresponsive. I do believe my device supports host mode. In fact I have an android app that is recognizing and so is lsusb recognizes the dock is connected. As far as the mk808 on the lapdock will I need to hunt down the correct drivers or does Picuntu have generic HID drivers that just work with HID devices ?? Any known software for Linux that is a great tool for fiddling with HIDs? I have a dual joystick on single USB set I want to test on 808 but dunno where to start. They are cheap generic no name controllers. All else fails I'll take em apart and build an arcade cab with cheap arcade buttons from china and the PCB board from HID.

_.-=/ Here we go again! Ubuntu 12.10 on ARM the way it's meant to be experienced! Easy, Optimized and now even smaller. \=-._

. - ( *_Quake-3_*- .. -*_GLTron_*- .. -*_Playstation_Emulator_*- .. -*_XBMC with AddOns!_[COME and get IT!]* ) - .

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

. - ( *_XChat FREE Direct Live Help and Growing Community!_*- .. -* Joomla 3.1 Quick Professional Modern Website Easy as 1-2-3 *- .. -* HW Support: Webcams, Hubs, PS3Remote, much more *- .. -* too much to list! Download now and enjoy! Join us using XChat and lets plan the next release together!_* ) - .

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#164 Hammo

Hammo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

First up. great work Alok and Justin (and everyone who has put time and effort into this).

I have only ever really 'played' with linux previously (basically a noob at it), never in any serious way, but am quite excited to take a crack at getting my 808 over to Picuntu. Its been running Bob's 1.5a / 1.6 firmware and I use it to monitor the ip cams we have installed - unfortunately the monitoring software only seems to to image capture, not video, so, Enter Picuntu.

I hope to be able to (with the help of trusty(?) google) install motion onto it and run it so that it will motion capture video dump a copy to a USB, and also upload to internet storage.

Have done a few install tries - but have not had much luck (so far) - tried the .IMG install - it booted and i got the desktop, but could not get the wireless sorted - also tried the other methods but not luck their either - although reading through the forum, i think my probs are permission based, and other are pre-requiste apps that i dont have (IE: pv). will have to update these and try again :) - hoping all goes well.

One REALLY dumb question - do i really need to log in as Root? - can i just sudo a root terminal and then run the scripts?

#165 Hammo

Hammo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

and looks like installing pv did the trick :)

I also tar pxvzf to extract the script (to be safe). But install was perfect :) - connected to my network and downloading updates and packages now :)
  • JustinTime4Tea likes this

#166 aloksinha2001

aloksinha2001

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

and looks like installing pv did the trick :)

I also tar pxvzf to extract the script (to be safe). But install was perfect :) - connected to my network and downloading updates and packages now :)

Good for you !! :good:

Alok

#167 Hammo

Hammo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Installed motion - have not tested, but when shutting down the shutdown info lists stopping the motion daemon, so that seems good :) (now to work out how to set it up) - at least there is a good wiki for it - looks like I have some reading homework.

Plan to use dropbox as the internet storage, but the install generated an i386 error, so figure I will need to try and compile from the source - if it works will post it here.

#168 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Installed motion - have not tested, but when shutting down the shutdown info lists stopping the motion daemon, so that seems good :) (now to work out how to set it up) - at least there is a good wiki for it - looks like I have some reading homework.

Plan to use dropbox as the internet storage, but the install generated an i386 error, so figure I will need to try and compile from the source - if it works will post it here.

I use zoneminder for IP cameras or other Android devices running an IP cam app. I use motion for any USB cams because I have yet to get zoneminder working with the one USB cam I have. motion and zoneminder are AWESOME :good:

I have yet to get Dropbox or google drive working but have a look at Ubuntu One. You get 5Gb free storage and they have dedicated client apps for android and iOS now so you can access ubuntu one files anywhere. I have motion installed and the directory it captures motion to by default is /tmp/motion I believe... Not 100% sure but I will check into syncing the stored security shots to a cloud service as well as implementing Google Email and text alerts :) glad you've found this forum usefull and welcome! :drinks:

If you come across good reading on how to implement google drive or Dropbox syncing under the Armhf architecture let me know I always love reading new articles. So far the tid bit I've played around with Dropbox and Gdrive has shown me that it'll take a little hack savy work to compile from source or find a Debian package for Dropbox/Gdrive in armhf. This is why you probably get some i386 message when attempting to install Dropbox.

Mk808 Picuntu is using the armhf architecture so any software you install or compile must be for arm architecture. Some source is easily cross-compiled accross multiple CPU architectures while others are not.

Also to stop or start motion you can issue these commands

$sudo /etc/init.d/motion stop
$sudo /etc/init.d/motion start

OR alternatively

$sudo service motion stop
$sudo service motion start

Of course type these without $ sign and I personally prefer the init.d method 8)

Edited by JustinTime4Tea, 07 February 2013 - 07:17 PM.

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#169 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

First up. great work Alok and Justin (and everyone who has put time and effort into this).

Aw thanks! Honestly don't give me TOO much credit lol I did report some bugs and some issues to Alok and have done some testing and will continue to test as much as I can but the actual development of Picuntu is all credited to Alok (and I'm sure others but Alok has been who've I've been communicating with)

just didn't want anyone thinking I was some how a developer that's part of Picuntu team but I WOULD love to be part of the community that makes Picuntu what it will be in the future :) I love how Linux is such an open welcoming community.

Also I would like to thank Alok for his continued efforts and progress on this project and others and a HUGE thank you to SlateDroid for hosting this amazing community web forum.

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#170 Hammo

Hammo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

If you come across good reading on how to implement google drive or Dropbox syncing under the Armhf architecture let me know I always love reading new articles. So far the tid bit I've played around with Dropbox and Gdrive has shown me that it'll take a little hack savy work to compile from source or find a Debian package for Dropbox/Gdrive in armhf. This is why you probably get some i386 message when attempting to install Dropbox.

Hmm - that may be a little (and king kong was a small monkey) out of my league - but will see, sometimes a broken clock can show the correct time. :clapping:
anyways, there is the Ubuntu one option.

#171 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Hmm - that may be a little (and king kong was a small monkey) out of my league - but will see, sometimes a broken clock can show the correct time. :clapping:
anyways, there is the Ubuntu one option.

:lol:
Well if I find a viable solution I'll either source the info on how to if it's easy or write an easy how-to. I've been getting busier and busier reaching official launch date of my business here in Seattle things are getting insane... In a good way :)

For sending those cam shots to the web , Ubuntu One only allows syncing folders that are in your home directory so you will need to probably creat symlinks to folders outside your home folders and then configure Motion to save video files in that symlink folder. Or just set motion to capture to home folder. Motion configure files are very well documented and a simple $nano conf will allow you to search specific settings and edit. Either way good luck and if you have any questions always feel free to shoot. If Linux related please PM me so we can keep forum clutter down. I will be trying to condense my posts to keep it light. :good:

Edited by JustinTime4Tea, 08 February 2013 - 04:33 AM.

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#172 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Is there a way to create a strictly Picuntu topic outside of UG topic maybe in miniTv section where we can post on general Linux Picuntu topics and move all the 808 relevant stuff to the 808 section etc... Any way to tidy up or a way I can request privlidges to do so in my free time? It'd be awesome if I could suggest changes to each topic or post and the suggestion goto admin or owner and if approved by them the changes could be made? If that makes sense? I could just say hey "this looks good here etc.." pop up notify in SlateDroid "Justin thinks this would be better here, approve?" I think would be awesome SlateDroid feature.

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#173 pench0

pench0

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

hello,

I have read the whole thread and all the information foe WLAN configuration, but found nothing for Ethernet (LAN) support on NEO Minix X5 devices.
Can somebody shed some light on this? Is it supported? Or is there a way to activate it and use it?

#174 Patola

Patola

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

hello,

I have read the whole thread and all the information foe WLAN configuration, but found nothing for Ethernet (LAN) support on NEO Minix X5 devices.
Can somebody shed some light on this? Is it supported? Or is there a way to activate it and use it?

I have a Minix Neo X5 which I bought only for experimenting but I couldn't even get to the point of checking how well the hardware is recognized. I have booted a few times into Ubuntu then it stopped working, and I could not get network. It might be due to the kernel I used but right now I feel unable to flash another kernel due to flash issues (which I am describing in another thread).

I have a kernel which I compiled with all ethernet support. If I am able to overcome the flash issues I will use it and have data to tell you.

#175 Hammo

Hammo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

My Progress Update:

Have Picuntu booting direct to desktop now (Not the most secure, but it is the most functional - system is really only to monitor/record security cams).
Have VNC up and running (So now I can monitor/maintain whilst my fiance watches TV - VERY important this is)
installed Ubuntu one for cloud storage (Still to be configured)

Issues [Solved] - could not write to the usb I had connected when not logged in as root :( - tried many different options, repartitioning, changing permissions via chmod - then I had a moment of clarity - rebooted as root - went to the mount point in thunar, and repermissioned the /mount/username folder recursively - worked a treat. Not sure if this has been an issue for anyone else but that did the trick.
*edit* - turns out I was recording to not the USB drive, just a directory in the Mount folder ( :rofl: Doh ) - turned on Auto mount and it was fine.
so... :yahoo:
Motion installed and running, recording to an external USB drive :drinks:
BUT.. :(
The network adaptor seems to disconnect from the network intermittantly, and does not seem to reconnect. It will keep its harcoded address, and the icon confirms that it is connected, but is not able to be seen (IE: from ping etc)...
*Thoughts* - could it be the hardcoded address? - need to test....

Edited by Hammo, 12 February 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#176 reddor

reddor

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

JustinTime4Tea, thanks for your suggestions, i finally managed to get some time on my hands playing with picuntu again. I changed the MTU size of eth0 (the wlan adapter) to 1492 and all my ssh-related problems disappeared. Not sure if I should blame my access point. Nevertheless, my device is now working perfectly.

#177 milosh

milosh

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

My Progress Update:

Have Picuntu booting direct to desktop now (Not the most secure, but it is the most functional - system is really only to monitor/record security cams).
Have VNC up and running (So now I can monitor/maintain whilst my fiance watches TV - VERY important this is)
installed Ubuntu one for cloud storage (Still to be configured)

Issues [Solved] - could not write to the usb I had connected when not logged in as root :( - tried many different options, repartitioning, changing permissions via chmod - then I had a moment of clarity - rebooted as root - went to the mount point in thunar, and repermissioned the /mount/username folder recursively - worked a treat. Not sure if this has been an issue for anyone else but that did the trick.
*edit* - turns out I was recording to not the USB drive, just a directory in the Mount folder ( :rofl: Doh ) - turned on Auto mount and it was fine.
so... :yahoo:
Motion installed and running, recording to an external USB drive :drinks:
The network adaptor seems to disconnect from the network intermittantly, and does not seem to reconnect. It will keep its harcoded address, and the icon confirms that it is connected, but is not able to be seen (IE: from ping etc)...

I don´t understand if you use Wifi but if yes
try set
# iwconfig eth0 power off
I have try many steps to set power off after start and don´t change power off after some time and the only think that works for me was to put these lines into /etc/network/interfaces
post-up iwconfig eth0 power off #set power off after start
iwconfig eth0 power off #don´t let power off change

It may help...

#178 mkw

mkw

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

sounds similar to the problem i had:
http://www.slatedroi...cuntu-on-mk808/
see: bug3. # Write failed: Host is down

try adding a static arp entry.

#179 pench0

pench0

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I have a Minix Neo X5 which I bought only for experimenting but I couldn't even get to the point of checking how well the hardware is recognized. I have booted a few times into Ubuntu then it stopped working, and I could not get network. It might be due to the kernel I used but right now I feel unable to flash another kernel due to flash issues (which I am describing in another thread).

I have a kernel which I compiled with all ethernet support. If I am able to overcome the flash issues I will use it and have data to tell you.

thank you!
please, keep me informed.
Anyway, if you want I can try with your kernel on my Minix, as I don't have any issues with the flash.

#180 Nick1977

Nick1977

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

To activate Mali, I used:

1. Driver version r3p1-01rel0
2. My configs for him
3. Changing fb kernel driver
4. X video driver, also can be used from here (i have not tested)
5. Instructions given the above

I tried version r3p2, it works

this is the result of tests

Would it be possible to make a new release with the Mali drivers?

P.S. Thanks for the hard work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users