220 replies to this topic

#41 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Ok so my conclusion. No wifi support still on mk808. I've got ride of my firmware messages with USB wifi. ZD1211 module is loaded. Iwconfig and ifconfig all setup I just can't set default gateway (inside install another bug when trying to gw, gives weird SOIC... Error could be cause wifi not working?). Everything is set fine my WLAN device just will NOT associate itself with the AP anyway to force AP association? I've tried setting essid and ap xx:xx etc.. Till I'm blue in the face. I was Soo excited to have wifi on mk808 :( looks like its back to synaptic offline downloading scripts and pre alpha .3 :unsure:
I don't think well ever have inboard wifi ::sad face:: maybe it's as simple as unblacklisting? I wish

That was the reason I was so excited. Looks like ill have to stuff my bus with more plugs ugh.

As of fifteen minutes prior to edited time stamp I successfully booted into full package selected picuntu distro WITH on board wireless support thanks to Alok for the amazing help!

Edited by JustinTime4Tea, 17 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

_.-=/ Here we go again! Ubuntu 12.10 on ARM the way it's meant to be experienced! Easy, Optimized and now even smaller. \=-._

.-=/ Open GL ES GOODIES! \=-.

. - ( *_Quake-3_*- .. -*_GLTron_*- .. -*_Playstation_Emulator_*- .. -*_XBMC with AddOns!_[COME and get IT!]* ) - .

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

. - ( *_XChat FREE Direct Live Help and Growing Community!_*- .. -* Joomla 3.1 Quick Professional Modern Website Easy as 1-2-3 *- .. -* HW Support: Webcams, Hubs, PS3Remote, much more *- .. -* too much to list! Download now and enjoy! Join us using XChat and lets plan the next release together!_* ) - .

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-='/ home://io ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#42 muratremix

muratremix

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I mirrored files on my server. Picuntu authors can direct link to my mirror at their disposal. Others (blog owners etc) please link to Picuntu downloads page first, no direct links.

http://192.151.153.130/murat/picuntu/

#43 aruangra

aruangra

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

The only way to go back would be - with shorting the pins... no wait.. on MK808 - there is a switch (next to the blue light) - you can put in a paper clip, hear it click and then reboot...

Alok

I heard that the button would only reboot the android device to the flash mode. It would not reboot the device with the linux kernel to the flash mode. Please confirm if the above-mentioned method was tested on MK808.

Edited by aruangra, 17 January 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#44 aruangra

aruangra

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Ok so my conclusion. No wifi support still on mk808. I've got ride of my firmware messages with USB wifi. ZD1211 module is loaded. Iwconfig and ifconfig all setup I just can't set default gateway (inside install another bug when trying to gw, gives weird SOIC... Error could be cause wifi not working?). Everything is set fine my WLAN device just will NOT associate itself with the AP anyway to force AP association? I've tried setting essid and ap xx:xx etc.. Till I'm blue in the face. I was Soo excited to have wifi on mk808 :( looks like its back to synaptic offline downloading scripts and pre alpha .3 :unsure:
I don't think well ever have inboard wifi ::sad face:: maybe it's as simple as unblacklisting? I wish

That was the reason I was so excited. Looks like ill have to stuff my bus with more plugs ugh.

Wifi on MK808 works since the prealpha 0.3. You can follow my instruction in
http://www.slatedroi...1/page__st__180

#45 zizzani

zizzani

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I have an UG802.
This new version doesn't work for me.
The pre-picuntu.sh file doesn't complete the operation because many file in tmp/picuntu are not found.
When I try with the other method wifi doesn't start even if I configure it and I can't install xfce.
Works better 0.3 pre-alpha in my opinion at this point.

#46 Aiexis

Aiexis

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

I also have many missing files at the end of pre-picuntu.sh process. I think it's "normal".
I own a MK808-B

Edited by Aiexis, 17 January 2013 - 02:07 AM.

#47 Raymond Day

Raymond Day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

I heard that the button would only reboot the android device to the flash mode. It would not reboot the device with the linux kernel to the flash mode. Please confirm if the above-mentioned method was tested on MK808.

I got the MK808. I used a resistor to push the switch down. You have to plug the USB in the side one. It only flashes from that one. Wile you hold the switch down plug in the USB to your Windows. You will hear the ding sound. Then run "ROM Flash tool.exe" I guess you all ready know you have to install the driver. If after the ding Windows says it can't find the driver you can point it to were you downloaded the Flash tool. Then you have to reboot windows for the driver to work.

It's all ready in Flash mode as soon as you plug it in like that. So just have to wight to it. As soon as it's done you will hear the ding sound like you unplugged it but it's still plugged in. But you can unplug the USB and boot the MK808 up then.

-Raymond Day

Edited by Raymond Day, 17 January 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#48 aruangra

aruangra

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

I got the MK808. I used a resistor to push the switch down. You have to plug the USB in the side one. It only flashes from that one. Wile you hold the switch down plug in the USB to your Windows. You will hear the ding sound. Then run "ROM Flash tool.exe" I guess you all ready know you have to install the driver. If after the ding Windows says it can't find the driver you can point it to were you downloaded the Flash tool. Then you have to reboot windows for the driver to work.

It's all ready in Flash mode as soon as you plug it in like that. So just have to wight to it. As soon as it's done you will hear the ding sound like you unplugged it but it's still plugged in. But you can unplug the USB and boot the MK808 up then.

-Raymond Day

Does this approach still work if I flash the kernel partition instead of the recovery partition? That is what worries me :)

#49 elmington

elmington

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

Woohoooo,

Let me get this right before I fook my box up but does this work in the Minix x5 yeah?

If so is there any instructions on how to setup the dual boot with the device?

Edited by elmington, 17 January 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#50 Virverus

Virverus

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hi Alok,

there are still issues with pre-picuntu.sh.
Before I can comment on them I would strongly advise to number these script files inside the source,
so please add a comment on top of the source containing a release number and with wich version of picuntu
it´s supposed to work with.That way it´s easy to identify the different files and use/comment the right one.
(no fancy numbering system please ,just 1,2,3,.... will be quite adequate!).Thanks,

Virverus

#51 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

If I flash the kernel to the kernel partition of MK808, can I still revert to Android using RKandroidtool? How to get to the flash mode? Do I need to short two pins of the RK chip?

I've flashed Linux kernel under kernel by accident before, the minute I realized it rebooted straight to Linux I pulled power and went to flash it. I've been using finless bob 1.6 I run his instructions to the T then I close rk flash tool re-open uncheck EVERYTHING including check box for "loader" and then flash recovery with 0.3kernel renamed to recovery. I've accidentally flashed the regular kernel partition about four times. Each time doing same procedure with not a scratch. I wouldn't take just my experience and make a decision though. Some people don't like risks. Risks = reward and if I break it I bought it oh well I'll make more money and buy another.... Or stick with my spare additional 3. I went 808 CRAZY.

I take apart because it's way easy without damaging then hold reset button BEFORE AND DURING until flash tool recognizes usually within <30sec.. Flash android root rom first always then reopen program and uncheck everything except recovery. Now it's dual booting when sd card is in.

Edited by JustinTime4Tea, 17 January 2013 - 05:41 AM.

_.-=/ Here we go again! Ubuntu 12.10 on ARM the way it's meant to be experienced! Easy, Optimized and now even smaller. \=-._

. - ( *_Quake-3_*- .. -*_GLTron_*- .. -*_Playstation_Emulator_*- .. -*_XBMC with AddOns!_[COME and get IT!]* ) - .

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

. - ( *_XChat FREE Direct Live Help and Growing Community!_*- .. -* Joomla 3.1 Quick Professional Modern Website Easy as 1-2-3 *- .. -* HW Support: Webcams, Hubs, PS3Remote, much more *- .. -* too much to list! Download now and enjoy! Join us using XChat and lets plan the next release together!_* ) - .

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#52 Patola

Patola

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Any luck on getting video acceleration to work?

Edited by Patola, 17 January 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#53 Ithiel

Ithiel

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi guys,

Awesome work!

While I'm assuming it's a yes, I figured I'd confirm first just in case:

1. Does this also work on the UG007 (incl. the integrated WiFi & BT)?
2. If we're running Finless, does that cause any grief, or is it all same-same?

Cheers :-)

#54 aruangra

aruangra

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

I've flashed Linux kernel under kernel by accident before, the minute I realized it rebooted straight to Linux I pulled power and went to flash it. I've been using finless bob 1.6 I run his instructions to the T then I close rk flash tool re-open uncheck EVERYTHING including check box for "loader" and then flash recovery with 0.3kernel renamed to recovery. I've accidentally flashed the regular kernel partition about four times. Each time doing same procedure with not a scratch. I wouldn't take just my experience and make a decision though. Some people don't like risks. Risks = reward and if I break it I bought it oh well I'll make more money and buy another.... Or stick with my spare additional 3. I went 808 CRAZY.

I take apart because it's way easy without damaging then hold reset button BEFORE AND DURING until flash tool recognizes usually within <30sec.. Flash android root rom first always then reopen program and uncheck everything except recovery. Now it's dual booting when sd is in.

To be clear, you could re-flash the kernel partition on MK808 using the reset button after you flashed the kernel partition. Right? No need to disassemble the device and short pins?

#55 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Any luck on getting video acceleration to work?

Video acceleration??? You talking about Mali support?

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#56 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

To be clear, you could re-flash the kernel partition on MK808 using the reset button after you flashed the kernel partition. Right? No need to disassemble the device and short pins?

Correct I have never shorted pins. Just pushed the flash button most people use a paper lip but I want to make sure it's pressed. I used a guitar pick to gentley ease the clips out of place and open it up. BUT MY WORD isn't gospel just because I didn't need to short stuff to make it work doesn't mean you wont mess up.vi was fearful but come on its a $40 unit it'll be ok :) even if you HAD TO short I'm sure you'd be fine. This thing is damn near unbrickable. YOU HAVE TO flash Linux kernel seperate and always AFTER android rom flash. Like windows and Linux. Install windows first THEN Linux otherwise no booty booty ;)

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#57 JustinTime4Tea

JustinTime4Tea

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I have an UG802.
This new version doesn't work for me.
The pre-picuntu.sh file doesn't complete the operation because many file in tmp/picuntu are not found.
When I try with the other method wifi doesn't start even if I configure it and I can't install xfce.
Works better 0.3 pre-alpha in my opinion at this point.

Hold tight to your seat cause the speed at which these forums have been going is awesome. I owe big tribute to Alok for help.
I don't have a UG802 I have the more recent better mk808 but I'm sure they are very similar when it comes to the installation procedures. Of course it'll need different files here and there but I would assume just drivers or firmware. Stay tuned because if ANYONE can help you with your 802 this forum can.

Also start doing some reading... A lot for reading... If you're getting stuck and saying ah screw it I'll stay with alpha .3 I would reconsider.... I kept battling the install until I found the simple little things I wasn't thinking of and now everything works fine. When in doubt post post post. The more "this went wrong" posts the more the rest of us can take a look into refining install process and overal Picuntu experience.

.-=/ OTHER GOODIES! \=-.

_.-=/ Justin Gross ]
_.-=/ Seattle, WA ]

#58 hidefguy

hidefguy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hi Alok;

Well done for this hard work; FYI, for me pre-picuntu.sh is broken. On a vanilla install of ubuntu on VMWare, it formats the SD card fine but dies after copying:

Files have been copied, but not yet written to disk... will now sync.
This would take some time .. hold on.
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 329: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Card.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 330: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Device.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 331: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Module.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 332: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Supd.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 335: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Card.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 336: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Device.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 337: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Module.picuntu: No such file or directory
awk: cannot open /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces (No such file or directory)
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 341: /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces: No such file or directory
awk: cannot open /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces (No such file or directory)
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 357: /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces: No such file or directory

#59 sevo1984

sevo1984

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

ChangeLog for PicUntu 0.9 RC2

Changelog

PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2 - Jan 17th, 2013

Pre-picuntu
* Fixed an error, that did not allow dialog to be installed.
* Fixed an error that did not permit the radio link to go off air
* Release pre-picuntu.sh as zip file to take care of the version, As well as for many users, downloading txt file not saveable as .sh

Picuntu-da-server - following problems have been fixed.
* Issues with MK808 internal wifi not working - Fixed and tested
* Entry in /etc/network/intefaces not correct for eth0 - when using assitant - also bcm40181, not in /etc/modules
* Static IP configuration was not working
* Add pv to base
* Add uudecode (sharutils) in Dev Pack
* In Network config menu, there should be an option network restart
* System giving error, when running --net
* Lot of cleaning up in the network config
* Switch AutoFix not working.
* Numerous other bug fixes

PicUntu 0.9 RC 2

* Completely redone the pre-picuntu installer
* Fixed a bug, that prevented the xfce installation
* Added more robust checks
* Several bugs, that were found earlier removed from picuntu-da-server
* Added kernel source to download, as an optional package
* Desktop template made for all users.

First Release - 0.9
* Removed the bug 8188eu was going into power saving mode - added
* The system now tries to connect to all three types of network - by default
* wlan0, eth0, usbnet0
* Installed both, 8188eu (for UG802) and bcm41081 (for MK808) modules
* Fixed OTG_DWC error that fills up the log file
* Configured /etc/network/interfaces for the correct configuration
* Picuntu-da-server allows you to configure network
* Select Access Point from drop down
* Configure Pass
* Set dhcp or static mode

pre-Alpha 0.3:
Tested on a wider range of RK3066 devices,
kernel source removed to save space
(if you need the kernel source you can still copy it over from the pre-Alpha 0.2 rootfs file).
Added cifs-utils package (SMB).
Recompiled kernel with different settings, supports NFS V3 and V4 client, NTFS read/write.
Cleaned apt archive cache. Some extra artwork (wallpapers, icon themes) and various chess engines.

pre-Alpha 0.2:
Simplified boot requirements.
Can now boot from a root partition labeled linuxroot on any mass storage device accessible at boot time e.g. a 4GB USB key, a 8GB SD card in USB card reader plugged into the USB hub, or a microSD card in the microSD card slot of your Android stick.
Also can boot from a USB hard disk

pre-Alpha 0.1:

Initial release, requires microSD card.

QUESTION: is kernel image the same as latest AndrewDB's - in which case no need for flashing it (judging by bytecount it doesn't appear so)? Thansk

#60 aloksinha2001

aloksinha2001

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi Alok;

Well done for this hard work; FYI, for me pre-picuntu.sh is broken. On a vanilla install of ubuntu on VMWare, it formats the SD card fine but dies after copying:

Files have been copied, but not yet written to disk... will now sync.
This would take some time .. hold on.
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 329: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Card.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 330: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Device.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 331: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Module.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 332: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Supd.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 335: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Card.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 336: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Device.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 337: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Module.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 341: /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 357: /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces: No such file or directory

Your system does not seem to have a small application
pv

Just download and install the same - run this step again... you should be k

Alok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users