Android Tablets Forum banner

Announcing the arrival of PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.1

130K views 220 replies 60 participants last post by  nikomil1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Announcing the availability of PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.1.

=====>> PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2 Bug fix has arrived - 17-Jan-2013

You can download a PicUntu image file - that has GUI and sources preinstalled. Its a huge 2.8Gb file, but, hey you wanted almost everything on it. Download this file and write the image to a 8GB usb disk, using any windows disk image writer. SHA1 checksum: 41f1375736071a155fd5c1278d8e54b8a2456680

In less than 8 weeks, of the first time, that Linux kernel was able to be run on MK808/UG802/MX1 etc (RK3066 chipset) based USB sticks, we are happy to announce the world's first complete Linux distribution for the RK3066.
Starting with a minimal download of no more than 170MB, you can use menus and simple selections to configure your system to be a full fledged system - that can act as
Photograph Vertebrate Organism Mammal Screenshot

Company webserver: With fully function web server, extremely robust MySql, PHP5 and hell !, we have also added up a very powerful web based MySql administrator -phpmyadmin. All configured and ready to be used.
Corporate Mail server: Sendmail, name server, fetchmail are installed with one selection only
Share network over Windows/Cifs network sharing
Central database server: If you need a common database to store and manage your office and/or home use, choose PicUntu for a hassle free operation.
Content manager: Use this tiny little 10W user as your formal content management portal. Here is an example of site running on PicUntu
Developer's paradise: If you would rather develop kernels and modules for the arm world, simply select to download the kernel sources and you can begin coding in a few minutes.
Power GUI desktop: Yes, we can be green and beautiful Running under 6W, average you can have the pleasure of a full High Definition (1920x1080p) desktop, with a choice of xfce/gnome shells
Add extras such as flash, graphics programs, Office suite clones - by virtue of simply clicking on it.

Photograph Computer Light Product Font

PicUntu is a Linux distribution, based on Ubuntu, designed to work on your RK3066 chipset devices.

Features
Packed with detailed features, we provided a separate page for this

Download
You can download the files here.. Code repository at google has kicked us out for the huge files we are keeping and running throughput... we have this server. Need mirrors, kindly let us know, if you have setup any mirrors please.

Credits
To the several testers here and other forums, who have diligently downloaded, tested, reverse engineered as well as help us in pin-pointing the exact issues and faults.
Thanks to the large team of people on this and several other people, whose work we shamelessly pawned off into this code....

Feature Requests
You can ask for feature requests for the upcoming release. Click here, and then New Issue

Please do not hesitate to try this out and let us know what you think, or if you find any way to make it better....

- Brought by PicUntu Development team

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
ChangeLog for PicUntu 0.9 RC2

Changelog

PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2 - Jan 17th, 2013

Pre-picuntu
* Fixed an error, that did not allow dialog to be installed.
* Fixed an error that did not permit the radio link to go off air
* Release pre-picuntu.sh as zip file to take care of the version, As well as for many users, downloading txt file not saveable as .sh

Picuntu-da-server - following problems have been fixed.
* Issues with MK808 internal wifi not working - Fixed and tested
* Entry in /etc/network/intefaces not correct for eth0 - when using assitant - also bcm40181, not in /etc/modules
* Static IP configuration was not working
* Add pv to base
* Add uudecode (sharutils) in Dev Pack
* In Network config menu, there should be an option network restart
* System giving error, when running --net
* Lot of cleaning up in the network config
* Switch AutoFix not working.
* Numerous other bug fixes

PicUntu 0.9 RC 2

* Completely redone the pre-picuntu installer
* Fixed a bug, that prevented the xfce installation
* Added more robust checks
* Several bugs, that were found earlier removed from picuntu-da-server
* Added kernel source to download, as an optional package
* Desktop template made for all users.

First Release - 0.9
* Removed the bug 8188eu was going into power saving mode - added
* The system now tries to connect to all three types of network - by default
* wlan0, eth0, usbnet0
* Installed both, 8188eu (for UG802) and bcm41081 (for MK808) modules
* Fixed OTG_DWC error that fills up the log file
* Configured /etc/network/interfaces for the correct configuration
* Picuntu-da-server allows you to configure network
* Select Access Point from drop down
* Configure Pass
* Set dhcp or static mode

pre-Alpha 0.3:
Tested on a wider range of RK3066 devices,
kernel source removed to save space
(if you need the kernel source you can still copy it over from the pre-Alpha 0.2 rootfs file).
Added cifs-utils package (SMB).
Recompiled kernel with different settings, supports NFS V3 and V4 client, NTFS read/write.
Cleaned apt archive cache. Some extra artwork (wallpapers, icon themes) and various chess engines.

pre-Alpha 0.2:
Simplified boot requirements.
Can now boot from a root partition labeled linuxroot on any mass storage device accessible at boot time e.g. a 4GB USB key, a 8GB SD card in USB card reader plugged into the USB hub, or a microSD card in the microSD card slot of your Android stick.
Also can boot from a USB hard disk

pre-Alpha 0.1:

Initial release, requires microSD card.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Installation instructions for PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.1

Installation Manual
What you need to start
Of course your device
* *UG802*, or
* *MK808* *
Should work on imito MX1 - not tested, and we know internal wifi does not work
RAM SD card - 4GB is enough, but you may need more, depending on what you want to do with your linux
Optional: You can also run your PicUntu off a USB thumb drive. However, my experience says, being an external drive, it seems to cause loose connection issues and when you need to run your server for longer period of time, it would cause a lot of jitters.

Linux OS- to be able to format, mount and copy the files. * Coming soon: We are working on getting an image of Windows system ready. Stand by.
Windows OS - to be able to flash the kernel image. If your kernel is already flashed with recovery image, you do NOT need Windows.
Downloads: Kernel image file, Pre-PicUntu installer, PicUntu-linuxroot-0.9

Nifty Guide
*Picuntu installation is a three step procedure.

Install kernel image
* Decision point: The kernel image can be installed in the main kernel space or the recovery kernel space. We of course recommend you install it on the Recovery image space. This would allow you to dual boot the Linux or Android based on your choice.
* You need to install the kernel image on the recovery space of your RK3066 stick set.

Install root file system - Pre-picuntu
# Method 1
* Download the Pre-picuntu tool from here.
* Run it on your linux system (not RK3066), and answer a few questions.
* This tool, will partition, format and copy contents.
* Please ensure, that your linux has wget, dialog, pv, parted installed. If not, kindly install before proceeding.

# Method 2:
* Format the SDCard, as ext4 and name it linuxroot
* On a home linux system (NOT the RK3066 stick) Unpack contents of PicUntu into a directory on Linux, become su. And copy all the contents of the directory to root of SD Card.
* Insert the SD Card into the Android. To boot Linux from Android, you need to boot into Recovery mode.

PicUntu configuration
* Once Linux is booted you should get a login prompt
* Login as root, password is '12qwaszx' (without quotes).
*Please change the password ASAP.*
* If your settings were correct in the pre-picuntu stage, you should already logged on to the wifi and net should be working.
* If not, no worries, you can still configure the network
* As root, run the command 'picuntu-da-server.sh'
* By default, ask you for the network configuration.
Enter details, of your wifi.
* Post this step, you can now configure and install new packages manually. OR
* You can use the automated, menu driven user friendly PicUntu-da-server package to install selected packages, configure and test sound cards etc.

Detailed guide
Step 1
Preparing for install
* Strongly recommend, that you get rid of your stock firmware, and download a new firmware that allows you 'root' access as well as many other performance enhancing features.
* We recommend that you use [http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=775 2dark4u/Bob's finless 1.7] for UG802 and [http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1971-NEW-MK808-Android-mini-TV-Player-Finless-1-5A-Custom-ROM Bob's finless 1.5a] for MK808 * These are the latest as of Jan 4th, 2013 * *Update: Jan 10th*, Bob's finless 1.6 have been released for MK808. Check out freaktab forums.
* The ROM comes with all the tools you would need. Download and open the README file. * Follow the steps as stated in the Readme file, to get yourself Bob's finless Rom installed. *Follow it to the letter*, it will save you a lot of grief.

Step 2
Flashing the kernel
*There are many ways to do this. We are presenting the simplest
* You have a *Windows* system
* Install RKAndroidTools v1.35 on your Windows PC following exactly the instructions provided by Bob Finless.
* Rename the earlier [https://rk3066-linux.googlecode.com/files/ug802recovkernel.img downloaded image] as recovery.img (overwrite any other recovery.img file already present).
* Connect Android stick to your PC and start the RKAndroidTool v1.35 app in Windows.
* If you have Bob's finless, Click on the Reboot and then select Reboot Bootloader
* Alternatively, using a terminal emulator, On the Android stick, open the terminal emulator and type "su", then "reboot bootloader" * RKAndroidTool will emit a sound and should now detect the Android stick.
* Flash only the new recovery.img to the recovery partition in the NAND. This takes 5 or 6 seconds, and your Android stick will immediately reboot into Android. THIS IS NORMAL.
* If you get the "dead Android bot" with red triangle when rebooting into recovery, it means the Linux kernel image was not flashed correctly to the recovery partition.
* Power off, power on, and repeat the procedure above paying attention to all details, and it should work.
* You'll know when it works because when the Linux kernel boots correctly, you can see kernel messages scrolling on the screen.
* You have a *Linux* system
* Though we have not tested this ourselves, but here is a link on how you could use [http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/41219-connecting-to-a-rk3066-based-board-via-adb-on-linux/ Linux to flash your kernel]

* You have an *Android* system
* We have been trying to build an Android script that should take care of using Android, to flash the kernel. While in theory, it seems feasible, but so far, we have *not been able to release a stable code*
* If you are adventurous enough*, there is, however, a script that you can use to [http://code.google.com/p/rk3066-linux/source/browse/#git%2FPicuntuInstaller flash kernel, using Android] * *WARNING* [https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rk3066-linux/nhaz0pO-4zs Please follow this thread], for discussion on the issues around this script, else you may brick your device.

Step 3
SD Card installation
* If you have a Windows system.
Option I (Coming soon)
Download this image. This is a 4GB disk image of installed Linux rootfs.
No formatting required.
Using any disk image writing software write this image on top of your 4GB SDcard/USB Flash drive
Option II
Download any live linux distribution. (live ubuntu, live gparted, knoppix)
Boot your main system, using live linux program.
Option II.a
Select Gparted from the options/menu
Use GParted to create an ext4 partition of at least 4GB on a USB key or a microSD card.
Label the partition *linuxroot*. *
As root, extract the tarball, and copy (using cp -a) all the files in the extracted directory to the partition labeled linuxroot.
This will create a Ubuntu root filesystem on the USB key or microSD card with all the proper permissions.
Option II.b (Not tested yet - but should work)
After you have booted into live linux.
* The simple way
* Download the pre-picuntu installer
* Follow the few simple steps.
* In addition to making the disk partition, the Pre-Picuntu installer also configures your network for you, so that when you boot the first time, it is already connected to the local net.
If you have Linux system
* The simple way
* Download the pre-picuntu installer
* Follow the few simple steps as asked, and you should be ready with the disk image
* In addition to making the disk partition, the Pre-Picuntu installer also configures your network for you, so that when you boot the first time, it is already connected to the local net.
* Difficult way
* Use GParted to create an ext4 partition of at least 4GB on a USB key or a microSD card. Label the partition *linuxroot*.
*As root, extract the tarball, and copy (using cp -a) all the files in the extracted directory to the partition labeled linuxroot. This will create a Ubuntu root filesystem on the USB key or microSD card with all the proper permissions.

Step 4
Configure PicUntu
* PicUntu is a stripped down version of Linux.
To be able to use this distribution, you would most likely need to
Initial configuration
* Configure the network
*Configure the sound
* Change your time Zone
* Add/Remove users
* Change keyboard layout
* Finally you would also need to select the install types.
System fine tuning
In addition to these steps that you take, the system automatically undertakes the following steps.
Select packages
Current packages that are supported and work out of the box are
# Apache, mysql: apache2 php5 mysql-server-5.5 phpmyadmin
# Mail/Bind package: sendmail mailutils dnsutils bind9 fetchmail
# Windows network file server - samba
# Content manager: Joomla. Install and configure
# Media server
# Webmin: Install and configure
# xfce
# Gnome
# Libreoffice: libreoffice
# Flash: browser-plugin-gnash gnash gnash-common gnash-cygnal gnash-dev gnash-tools
# Remote Desktop Server: tightvncserver xrdp
# Java: openjdk-7-jre-headless openjdk-7-jre-lib openjdk-7-jre
# Gcompiler: gcc gdb gcc-4.7 cpp cpp-4.7 binutils-gold libgcc1-dbg autoconf automake cpp-doc autotools-dev
# Editors: bluefish geany
# Kernel source: Yes, the kernel source can now be selected during install
Use PicUntu Assistant
The benefit of using PicUntu is not just the initial first run. It is a very convenient tool for all Linux users to do regular task through a menu driven interface.
Manage Apt-Repository
Fix System issues
Manage users - Make, modify delete
Select packages to install
Download kernel source.

#6 ·
Congratulations, very good job!!!

I'd really love to test this on my device, so I have two questions that you can maybe help me with:

- will this also work with the Rikomagic MK802III and/or the MK802IIIS
- if so, will the internal WiFi work? (I have no chance to connect it to a LAN cable)

Thanks!

Cycho

#7 ·
Does this mean on board wireless works????? If so... So stoked. I've been on pre0.3 using synaptic from online machine to dpkg -iR ./ on the offline machine

#8 ·
I have an error when running pre-picuntu.sh, in the second step after downloading "picuntu-linuxroot-0.9-RC2.1.tgz" in a tmp directory.
Something like
"evaluate error - no such file or directory" in line 546 of pre-picuntu.sh
and also
"/usr/bin/dialog: permission refused"
(logged as root with sudo -s )

Sorry maybe it's confusing, but I have to translate

#15 ·
Hi dev team,

congratulations and many many thanks for your work. I have been lurking around this forum for weeks waiting for the arrival of the "non-expert install."

I have an UG802 and my plan is to run it as a headless audio fx processor.

My question concerns what I see as a slight contradiction in the installation guide. It says:

* Decision point: The kernel image can be installed in the main kernel space or the recovery kernel space...

* You need to install the kernel image on the recovery space of your RK3066 stick set...
For my purpose I don't need Android at all. I would like my device to automatically boot into Linux when I plug the device in and exectute some custom scripts. Does it still make sense to first install the Finless firmware? Or could I use the Flash tool from the Finless package to directly flash the Linux kernel into the main kernel space?

Again thanks for your work,
Axel

#17 ·
I have error when running pre-picuntu.sh

trap: SIGINT: bad trap
pre-picuntu.sh: 26: pre-picuntu.sh: function: not found
Trying to get dialog for nice menus
E: Command line option --q is not understood
dialog application not available, will use text menus only
pre-picuntu.sh: 63: pre-picuntu.sh: Syntax error: "}" unexpected

#19 ·
Does this mean on board wireless works????? If so... So stoked. I've been on pre0.3 using synaptic from online machine to dpkg -iR ./ on the offline machine

#23 ·
Umm... Downloaded the linuxroot file system and followed exactly as I did with pre alpha and this install AND everything loads fine up to the command shell and when I type "picunu-da-server.sh" I get a command not found from bash. Everything has correct permissions and I am logged in as root. This is post install I'm on mk808 at the stage where the pre alpha normally booted window manager login deal. Can I just launch a GUI from here or do I need to setup network and do the picunu script to install anything first? Can't find pucunu-da-server anywhere... I even searched the file system from my Linux box.

#24 ·
Seconds later... It couldn't be just a type mistake?... HECK YES IT WAS .... EXCITED!!!! Please fix install guide. I thought you meant to miss-spell Picuntu like picunu-da-server like you miss spelled da as kind of slang. I tried picuntu-da-server and we are in business

#26 ·
Does the rootfs come with xfce4 or is it a package for download? I stopped the whole process on try número deux because I have a Mac filtering super crazy network and decided to try booting with my hotspot instead keeping it completely insecure for easy config. I lower the antenna power so it only has super short range but should be easier for initial setup. Do I need to run the picuntu-da-server.sh script to be able to boot to a GUI where I can configure network and packages? I'm a little rusty on my Linux networking command line Moja, but Ive ran each earlier release no problems (unsolved)

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote name='aloksinha2001' timestamp='1358362597' post='504377']
In case you get stuck at any screen.

CTRL-Z
killall -9 picuntu-da-server.sh

That does not require a reboot.

And yes - you caught a BUG !! grrrr...

The line 202 should read.
/usr/bin/pdmenu -c /usr/local/picuntu/picuntu-top.pdm --menu=network_conf

Thanks for the catch.

Alok
[/qoute]

You're very much welcome I have all the time in the world and have been a busy be getting a stable amazing set up of android and Linux on e mk808 for local redistribution. I have over 30 people and growing daily wanting one so bad all because I showed two tech friends lol. I'm setting up a local tech brand and very much love the support and quick responses. I will defintely source this website and give all the credit to you hopefully bring some more devs on board too! The skys the limit! Thanks Alok! You Rock! Ok Tarball extracted now let's load this roots and BOOT lol

#33 ·
Collecting dmesgs and ifconfig, iwconfig, and the .pdm output via dmesg >> dmesg_dump and booting other 808s

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
[ took out my dmesg didn't wanna fill up forum with information of mine that didn't warrant posting after the fact of fixing everything with big thanks to Alok! I will be compressing a rootfs for mk808 users with your instructions of moving files pre-loaded and an intermediate script to run if someone has online Linux box then have em follow your steps with the files but if the commands are too hard for someone still wanting to set Picuntu up on mk808 I want to personally help get them the as easy as possible.].

so unless its just a minor script error or something not loading network right at boot no onboard wifi for mk808
Ive testing all three of mine exactly in this order

- boot live distro ubuntu 12.04
-format sd ext4 label linuxroot with Gparted
-from terminal login root
- cp -a picuntu.tgz /media/linuxroot/
- xvzf ./picuntu.tgz
- put sd in mk808
- boot wait for Android
- reboot recovery
- during live dmesg I see it configuring network then states waiting 60 more seconds for network configure (continueing without full network support msg)
- terminal prompt Picuntu: login as root default pw
- I usually at this point immediately start dumping output from forenzic proccesses but I've tried without this step
- picuntu-da-server.sh
- choose mk808 with space bar then hit enter
- "do you wish to reconfigure network?"... if yes error which we went over earlier... "wish to update upgrade apt?" (of course fail at this point)
- no network can't configure so I cntrl-z
- type in what you had me type in before to get back to network configure for sake of redundance. same errors.

hopefully this wasnt TOO much information and in the future if you want me to message logs or grep, less etc... let me know. Im easy to work with and dedicating myself to getting this running.

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok so my conclusion. No wifi support still on mk808. I've got ride of my firmware messages with USB wifi. ZD1211 module is loaded. Iwconfig and ifconfig all setup I just can't set default gateway (inside install another bug when trying to gw, gives weird SOIC... Error could be cause wifi not working?). Everything is set fine my WLAN device just will NOT associate itself with the AP anyway to force AP association? I've tried setting essid and ap xx:xx etc.. Till I'm blue in the face. I was Soo excited to have wifi on mk808
looks like its back to synaptic offline downloading scripts and pre alpha .3

I don't think well ever have inboard wifi ::sad face:: maybe it's as simple as unblacklisting? I wish

That was the reason I was so excited. Looks like ill have to stuff my bus with more plugs ugh.

As of fifteen minutes prior to edited time stamp I successfully booted into full package selected picuntu distro WITH on board wireless support thanks to Alok for the amazing help!

#44 ·
Ok so my conclusion. No wifi support still on mk808. I've got ride of my firmware messages with USB wifi. ZD1211 module is loaded. Iwconfig and ifconfig all setup I just can't set default gateway (inside install another bug when trying to gw, gives weird SOIC... Error could be cause wifi not working?). Everything is set fine my WLAN device just will NOT associate itself with the AP anyway to force AP association? I've tried setting essid and ap xx:xx etc.. Till I'm blue in the face. I was Soo excited to have wifi on mk808
looks like its back to synaptic offline downloading scripts and pre alpha .3

I don't think well ever have inboard wifi ::sad face:: maybe it's as simple as unblacklisting? I wish

That was the reason I was so excited. Looks like ill have to stuff my bus with more plugs ugh.
Wifi on MK808 works since the prealpha 0.3. You can follow my instruction in
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/41654-pre-alpha-03-ubuntu-linux-for-mk802-iii-ug802-mk808-ug007-imito-mx1/page__st__180

#45 ·
I have an UG802.
This new version doesn't work for me.
The pre-picuntu.sh file doesn't complete the operation because many file in tmp/picuntu are not found.
When I try with the other method wifi doesn't start even if I configure it and I can't install xfce.
Works better 0.3 pre-alpha in my opinion at this point.

#57 ·
Hold tight to your seat cause the speed at which these forums have been going is awesome. I owe big tribute to Alok for help.
I don't have a UG802 I have the more recent better mk808 but I'm sure they are very similar when it comes to the installation procedures. Of course it'll need different files here and there but I would assume just drivers or firmware. Stay tuned because if ANYONE can help you with your 802 this forum can.

Also start doing some reading... A lot for reading... If you're getting stuck and saying ah screw it I'll stay with alpha .3 I would reconsider.... I kept battling the install until I found the simple little things I wasn't thinking of and now everything works fine. When in doubt post post post. The more "this went wrong" posts the more the rest of us can take a look into refining install process and overal Picuntu experience.

#50 ·
Hi Alok,

there are still issues with pre-picuntu.sh.
Before I can comment on them I would strongly advise to number these script files inside the source,
so please add a comment on top of the source containing a release number and with wich version of picuntu
it´s supposed to work with.That way it´s easy to identify the different files and use/comment the right one.
(no fancy numbering system please ,just 1,2,3,.... will be quite adequate!).Thanks,

Virverus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.