Android Tablets Forum banner

CM10 4.1.2 Automated Install - Brick Free!

49K views 65 replies 35 participants last post by  zwolamed2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone,

So I've bought a Ainol Hero 10 tablet - Like most people have found out the hard way, putting new firmware on this device is quite a nervous procedure, and you thought OH NO! I've bricked it!

Well in fact it is near impossible to brick this device! It's just not the easy of tablets to understand.

My finding's so far regarding firmware versions and release's from the manufacturer!

* 115v2 is the most stable - newly released versions (1207 and 1219) are awful to the point of crashing at weirdest moments - i.e. Touch screen loss of control to wifi disconnecting randomly.

* Cyanogenmod 4.2 is not ready.

So I've been testing Jelly bean release 4.1.2, from this thread - http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/37990-rom-cyanogenmod-10-for-elf-ii-aurora-ii-crystal-flame-fire-w22pro-2012-12-20/

So far so good, insanely smooth and so far no crashing.

The instruction's have a lot to be desired and don't explain possible caveats that user's might come across along the way - like soft bricking and panic attacks!

I'll quickly explain my findings and the supplied solution to install.

* The manufacture's recovery system has specific NAND value's set, so formatting the Internal memory is problematic!

* Attempting to flash the CM recovery onto the tablet will result in failing to boot to android and then looping back to recovery!

* If you had updated to the new 1207 or 1219 firmware, Ainol have implemented a new bootloader - which has caused havoc and made users think they have bricked their tablet!

So with my finding's in mind, the following has been done from me and hopefully will resolve a lot of user's issue's.

I've uploaded the latest CM 10 4.1.2 with instructions - I've set the defaults to English UK added a few app's. Boot logo is maintained from the manufacturer image.

Bootloader is from the 115v2, so if you have updated to 12+ images this will put back the stable bootloader.
Build.prop has been set to Samsung Galaxy SIII (R1) Galaxy Nexus (R2)

File list:

(CM10 4.1.2DBr1.zip)
1a.factoryromresets.zip
1b.cm-10-20121220-UNOFFICIAL-elf2DBs.zip
2.gapps-jb-20121011-signed-ubifsDBs.zip
3.cm10finalDBs.zip
aml_autoscript
CWM10Instructions.txt
u-boot.bin
uImage_recovery
uImage_recoverycm

Instructions contains:

PLEASE NOTE: This will remove any settings you have made i.e. system,data, userdata will be formatted!!

1207 and 1209 OWNERS:
* Get into recovery mode, apply 1a.factoryromresets.zip first then select Reboot
* Hold down VOL- again to get back into recovery mode ( if on reboot the screen is blank, use a paper clip and press the reset button in the Mic hole)
* Then following the below instructions.

(Just following the numbering scheme on when and what to image first from recovery)
Instructions (Must use built in Recovery uImage!)

* Unzip/rar the content of this (CM10 4.1.2DBr1,r2) archive and put it in the root of a MicroSD.
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed VOL- and POWER until you see the green droid.
* Select "apply update from EXT" (you can use volume rocker to move up/down and power button to confirm).
* Flash rom "1a.factoryromresets.zip", then "1b.cm-10-20121220-UNOFFICIAL-elf2DBs.zip", then "2.gapps-jb-20121011-signed-ubifsDBs.zip" then finally "3.cm10finalDBs.zip".
* Remove SD card, go to next instruction.
* Select "Wipe media partition".
* Now select "Reboot system now".
* Enjoy CyanogenMod 10!

FAQs

* If you're coming from a stock based rom, it's better if you use "stock" recovery to format "media" partition (the internal memory). And it'd be better if you don't use Google's backup/restore service to avoid breakages.
* If you boot into recovery from the CM image(uImage_recoverycm), i've added in cmfinalDBs.zip a formating routine for the media partition - doesn't work in the factory recovery!.
* Internal memory is mounted at /emmc, external sdcard is mounted at /storage/sdcard. If you wanna swap them (and make primary your real microsd) just flash this file after flashing rom's zip (you have to do it everytime you flash a new version of the rom)
* If you wanna increase the microphone capture volume open terminal emulator and after typing "su" type "alsa_amixer sset Capture 63"
* If you want to use the CM recovery, rename "uImage_recovery" to "uImage_recoveryorig", then rename the CM uImage (uImage_recoverycm) to uImage_recovery - ONLY use this for backup of system,cache or userdata - DON'T use for any other purpose as the formatting routine's haven't been carried over by the manufacturer!

See attached Mirrors.txt for download links for R1. View attachment Mirrors.txt
R1 mirror

Changes in R2:R2 Mirrors

* Added Gmail app.
* Set CPU to 1300MHZ, 1500MHZ is probably to unsafe.
* hw.nophone=true and hw.hasethernet=false set as requested.
* Changed build.prop to Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks goes to Christian Troy for taking the time to compile the CM 10 4.1.2.
Sources from https://github.com/christiantroy?tab=repositories

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, I had 1219, I tried these instructions but now the tablet dead, completametne off after reboot.
Does not accept the power button and vol + / -

I followed these steps in the correct way:

* Unzip / rar the content of this (CM10 4.1.2DBr1) archive and put it in the root of a MicroSD.
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed VOL-and POWER until you see the green droid.
* Select "apply update from EXT" (you can use the volume rocker to move up / down and power button to confirm).
* Flash ROM "1a.factoryromresets.zip", then "1b.cm-10-20121220-UNOFFICIAL-elf2DBs.zip", then "2.gapps-jb-20121011-signed-ubifsDBs.zip" then finally "3.cm10finalDBs . zip ".
* Remove SD card, go to next instruction.
* Select "wipe media partition".
* Now select "Reboot system now".
* Enjoy CyanogenMod 10!

What should I do, is dead forever?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
WARNING! I can confirm, the instruction is not good at this point. I proceeded comint from 127 Firmware and got funny GreenDroid-Loop with mounting into Manufacturer Recovery after puttng back in SD-Card...

So it is not enough to execute the 1a-file from the package to get back to 1115 standards.

Please put a warning into the opening post to downgrade first. I will now try the downgrade and will come back.
I am very thankful that you put up this solution - nevertheless - because i suffered from the 127 Software not wanting to boot into Clockwork-Recovery anymore - at least not in the correct version, that finds all the partitions and have the permissions installed..... keep on optimizing! I will report.

Edit: Success, getting the normal behaviour back with: http://caveat emptor.com/forums/topic/1090-ainol-novo-10-hero-1115v2-1116-firmware/
Now i will try it again with the above files.

Edit2: I can confirm, that following instructions coming from 1115v2 does succeed. Trying CM10 now to see, if everything is working perfectly.

#4 ·
I was running an old stock ROM (something like 1031), followed the install instructions exactly and every worked perfectly first try. This new OS is a huge improvement over the laggy crashing system I was dealing with earlier today. WIFI actually stays on during sleep now, and the tablet is quick and very responsive even in CPU power saving mode. Thanks for the upload.

BTW, if you are having problems installing this version of CM10, try installing a very old version of the stock ROM and then upgrade to this.

#5 ·
For those who says that 1207 doesnot allowed to install cwm 10.1. I completely disagree with them because i had 1207 boaltfree version and i upgraded to cwm 10.1. It booted perfectly and everything is working fine.

Once i was getting mounting error.But when i removed all ohter extra recovery files except those two cwm Recovery files.I got this error fixed.

#6 ·
What all other extra recovery files are you talking about?
There are only two files in the pack that are actually called recovery.
uImage_recovery
uImage_recoverycm
At least one is needed to do the flash

@all Can someone (maybe db260179) verify. Is there now a need to downgrade to 1115v2 or not. I am on 1207v2 bloatfree.

#11 ·
sorry for my noob question.

1. what recovery are you use to flash this rom? is it CWM or stock recovery from ainol?
2. and for the "wipe media partition" part, is it just take off the sdcard away while we're in recovery mode? and then after that straight to do wipe media partition?

Thank you for answering my question

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you want to use the CM recovery, rename "uImage_recovery" to "uImage_recoveryorig", then rename the CM uImage (uImage_recoverycm) to uImage_recovery - ONLY use this for backup of system,cache or userdata - DON'T use for any other purpose as the formatting routine's haven't been carried over by the manufacturer!
1. That means use stock recovery for flashing, nothing else.
2. Yes thats what the instruction says

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Review:
Positive remarks:
- I really appreciate the work on the CM10 for this tab. I like it SOOOOOO much more than (googles new) Android 4.2 approaches.
- Root works out of the box.
- Everyting else like used from Christian Troy's CM10 Android 4.1.2. OK
- Wifi 2 bars stronger than at 1207 manufacturers FW.
- .... to be continued

Space for improvement:
- Overclocking to 1512 MHz might get the CPU hot. 1200 is sufficient and more safe imho.
- Funny 00:00:00:00:00:00 behind the WifiSymbol in Quick-Settings.
- Ghost touches not completely gone, but seldom-
- when will someone unable "phone" in build-prop by default?
(hw.nophone=true, also good: hw.hasethernet=flase)
- boot animation is CM10, not Ainol as said in description. (Maybe post instructions and alternative anims to customize it manually) (Hint: Use "Boot Animations.app from market to change it. Works with the free version.)
- Gmail is still not part of the GAPPS package, is there a way to add it. It can be installed manually, ok, but....
- issues with a non rotating screen can be solved using this tutorial and app: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/37448-solved-accelerometer-works-fine-but-screen-doesnt-rotate/page__st__40__p__423460#entry423460
- ..... to be continued

#22 ·
Install firmware through this guide successfully..
One problem no Droid logo at startup.
Further when recovery files exist in sd card,when i press power button tablet goes to recovery menu? why this so?
then i have to reset my tablet and remove sd then it work fine.
Any solution to these problems??
Other when connected to internet instead of showing name it shows 00:00:00?

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
That is all the same with all of us.
And it is really no problem, just minor things to work on for the next release(!) i would think.

Of course you have to remove the recovery files from you SD-card after installation --- or the SD-card. Where is the problem.

Boot-Logo: Just edit the bootanimation with the free program: "Boot Animations" from Market. (my favourites: Tablet-Speedo Android / Tablet-Reactor)

#33 ·
#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
To all of you, using this install like me (might be good for other installs also):

The default orientation of the tab is set to 270° by built.prop without reasonable cause. At least I don't need it like that.
You can see it when you start up and it lies flat on the table: screen is rotated to portrait right.
You can see it also, when you go to settings, and accessibility and disable rotation. Then it goes to default portrait right.

I would change the built.prop as follows:

ro.sf.hwrotation=0 (was 270)
ro.bootanim.hwrotation=270 <--- optional if needed
ro.sf.gsensorposition=2 (was 0)

After these changes, default orientation of the whole system is landscape and gsensor is ok again.

#36 ·
The ROM is amazing. Tried CM10.1 as well but i like the UI of the CM10 more. The issues with the stock ROM like restarting, lagging etc looks to be gone. But i have one big issue. The tablet cannot turn on the wifi. On the stock ROM it worked won and then, but i was not able to turn it on on CM10 or 10.1. The CM is a fresh installation done 10 minutes ago, but anyway, this devices are meant to be connected to internet, so i would like to ask if there's any workaroung to make the wifi working propperly.

#41 ·
Well, i copied the .zip file to my SD card. Reboot with pwr and -volume, but couldn't get to recovery mode. Just rebooted to OS. I thought "what a stupid you are! You probably need the uImage_recoverycm and Uboot.bin". So, renamed "recoverycm" to recovery and rebooted. Entered CWM and pressed "install zip". Inastallation begun but suddenly i see "installation aborted". Ok, let's reboot and forget the whole thing.
Nooooo!!! I couln't boot any more to OS! I just had in hand a nice boot loop to stock recovery. After the first shock and a little thought i flashed 1a. factoryresets.zip and then followed the CM10 installation procedure. Everything is ok now, but i'm curious. What went wrong with "installation aborted" and after that with the boot loop? Just trying to learn some things.

#44 ·
I was using 1207v2 with regular crashes and weird actions on screen. Then came to here and got a blank screen after 1st try... Then -as intructed- made the 1st update step again and re flashed... w/o returning to an old firmware or something...Now I have a brand new tablet...
Thanks to people who got involved in this thread. ...

Serdar

#45 ·
Flashed this rom over my stock 1115 and it running smooth. Problem with g-sensor and hdmi sound. But that's fine with me.

But before flashed, I didn't make any backup of my stock rom. So in case i want to get back to my stock (1115), how can i do it?
I've download stock recovery and stock firmwire of 1115. can I just boot into recovery, wipe all (internal/cache/media) and flash stock rom that I've downloaded?

#46 ·
Hello,

First, thank for this contribution.

I had a lot of problem with my tablet, and I finally installed this custom firmware.

It didn't fix my G Sensor problem, must be hardware.

But I have two questions :

1. In ES Explorer, I don't have access anymore to the external SD Card. Well, I can get it by going to the root directory, then storage, and sdcard1, but I don't have anymore the "external_storage" in "sdcard" folder I used to have before. How can I get it back ?

2. When I use Titanium Backup, it's checking the Superuser thing every app ! The soft became really slow because of it.
How can I get rid of this ?

Thanks in advance !

Great work on this firmware.

#47 ·
I'm afraid I did indeed manage to brick my Hero...

A friend of mine installed CM on the Hero, but I had sound stuttering and tried to install the 128 Firmware. Somehow the tablet would not load any other recovery than the one that came with CM, even though I had TWRP as well as the stock recovery on the root of the SD card. So I flashed with the CM recovery. Now my Hero won't start at all, I don't even get an Android Logo nor does the backlight light up when I press the power button. Recovery mode doesn't work either (same problem, screen is dead, not even backlight).

Are ther any suggestions? I've read of a unbrick tutorial where you have to open the tablet - how do you do that?

#48 ·
Are ther any suggestions? I've read of a unbrick tutorial where you have to open the tablet - how do you do that?
Yes, i did it. but charge your battery for a few hours before, even the screen is black. my computer couldn't recognize the tablet before that. and make a hard reset before charging.

oh, and also, don't do the pin things while charging.

it took me one week to succed ! don't give up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.