Photo

Allwinner a31 vs ACT-ATM7029 vs exynos 4412 vs tegra 3 (vs RK3188)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 donn_jonn

donn_jonn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Please make a ranking from best to worst because i would really like to know.

#2 donn_jonn

donn_jonn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

1. RK3188
2. exynos 4412
3. ACT-ATM7029
4. Allwinner a31
5. Tegra 3
Is this right?

#3 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Please make a ranking from best to worst because i would really like to know.

I would have to see benchmarks to compare all of them but I know for sure that ATM7029 is the worst of them all because of weak 3D GPU performance. Avoid that ATM7029 if you like to 3D game.

In terms of GPU performance (for 3D gaming):
-RK3188 should be slightly to somewhat better than RK3066. (my best guess)
-A31 is slightly better than RK3066.
-Exynos Quad equal or slightly better than RK3066.
-Tegra3 & RK3066 are pretty even.
*will have to see benchmarks to confirm but very likely in that order based on some early results I have checked out so far.

In terms of CPU:
RK3188, Exynos Quad, Tegra3, A31/RK3066
*assuming apps are multi-threaded to use all 4 CPU cores.

I left out ATM7029 because of very weak 3D GPU.

GPU performance is more important than CPU but you should get the best of both if possible. You will not go wrong buying RK3188, A31 or Exynos Quad tablet.

Today I would choose RK3188 or A31 tablet. I believe those two will become the most popular choices for chips in 2013. RK3066 tablet still very good choice to buy too but only if you get it for very good (or great) price.

Edited by Nickos-V, 07 January 2013 - 05:34 PM.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#4 wurstt

wurstt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Rockchip and Cube are @CES tomorrow (each for their own). Hopefully we will finally get some news about the GPU. Or even better, a Benchmark of the cube tablet.
On the forum of Cube, the admins posted some screencaps of the mainboard+RK3188. It should be ready for mass production :D but I guess it will be more expensive than onda v812. -->over my budget.

Edited by wurstt, 07 January 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#5 darkrickpr

darkrickpr

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Maybe onda v972 is a good choice retina quadcore A31 8CORE POWERVR

Sent from my HTC Holiday using Tapatalk 2
My Allwinner A31 Custom Roms
Nextway F9X
JENOVA ROM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Rk3188 Custom Roms
97RQ N90FHDRK U9GT5,VISTURE V97HD
Glass ROM
Aoson M33
Mist ROM
Aishon A97 7.9inch
Custom Rom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My RK3066 Custom Roms
CUBE U20GT
GENERICK MOD RC3 , SKYDIVER , CUBEX ,JELLYCUBE
PIPO MAX M1- AOSON M11 - PIPO U1
GENERICK MOD v7
ICOO - D70PROII
Darkwater v2
PLOYER MOMO8 SPEED IPS
VINCENT ROM V1
CHUWI V99, VIDO N90FHD, Cube U9GTV, VISTURE 4HD RK3066 RETINA ROMS ONLY
DANERICK ROM, LUNATIC, MetroBleach

Check Out my Webpage www.andydarkroom.site90.com

Darkrickpr EASY ADB BATCH TOOL (RELEASED TEST 1 CHECK MY WEBPAGE)
( Is your Tablet STUCK in BOOT animation, your volume key wont help you get to CWM or Bootloader. You don't know how to use adb shell commands. Then this it the tool you will need

HOW TO INSTALL MY ROMS ON CWM RECOVERY

HOW TO INSTALL CWM RECOVERY ON RK3066 RETINA TABLET VIDEO

Buy Me A Beer CLICK HERE

#6 itchy666

itchy666

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

Hello,
on the web I found some benchmarks comparing the A31 against Tegra3, Exynos4412 and R3066:
http://www.newaydeal...e-chip-a31-cpu/

Conclusion: Good GPU but the CPU not that fast depending on the CPU-Frequency
regards from Germany
Thomas :-)

#7 Dvalin21

Dvalin21

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Been searching the web today, apparently the Onda V972 is available for purchase on most sites. Cheapest I saw was 269USD. http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/265-forum-rules/. Still searching though. I never have used that site before.

#8 donn_jonn

donn_jonn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

On ces 2013 they say that the rk3188 is about the same performance as the exynos 4412 so maybe not as great as expected?

#9 muffinman123

muffinman123

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

is there any specific downside to A31? like power consumption or support or stuff? I get the impression that people don't have good opinion of this processor

#10 grayson73

grayson73

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Which quad-core CPU would provide the best battery life?

#11 neur0

neur0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

In terms of CPU:
RK3188, Exynos Quad, Tegra3, A31/RK3066
*assuming apps are multi-threaded to use all 4 CPU cores.

Android apps aren't optimized fot multicore, so high IPC and best single threaded performance is what matters most. Also, 2 cores are enough for nice multitasking, 4 cores are a waste of money (if they are symmetric, if they are asymmetric like in Big.little, that's actually good for saving energy) and good just for marketing.

I'd say:

RK3188 > Exynos 4 > Rk3066 > A31 > Tegra 3 > ATM7025.

But Exynos 4, RK3066, Tegra 3 and A31 should be close to each other in terms of performance.

If someone wants an cortex a tablet with A5 CPU because it's cheap and battery might last more, I would recommend imapX820 instead of ATM7025/7029 because it has a Mali 400 MP2 GPU.

Which quad-core CPU would provide the best battery life?

ATM7029 and ATM7025 should provide best battery life since they are Cortex A5.

Edited by neur0, 30 March 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#12 user7

user7

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

here the GL BENCHMARKS 2.7 and 2.5 for RK3188(CUBE U30GT2 AND VIDO N90FHDRK) VS A31(ONDA V972). both N90FHDRK and V972 are retina displays tablets so its kind of fair results. and rk3188 overall have a better results against the A31.
RK3188 VS A31 LINK

AND here is a link for the general GLbenchmark comparison of Allwinner a31 vs ACT-ATM7029 vs exynos 4412 vs tegra 3 vs RK3188
A31 VS ATM7029 VS 4412 VS TEGRA 3 VS RK3188

Edited by user7, 14 April 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#13 rsbuffalo

rsbuffalo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

Here's my Antutu exynos 4412 score:

Attached File  2013.04.08-21.04.23.jpeg   573.85KB   105 downloads

#14 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

THIS... is such a fun topic... It should very much so be discussed...

First, here is my 2-cents on ranking...

1. Exynos 4412
2. Rockchip RK3188
3. Rockchip RK3066
4. Allwinner A31
5. Don't bother with the ACT chips...

The Exynos 4412 does NOT bench as well as the RK3188 however real-world usage (according to most folks I have talked to and certainly in my own experience) it is the BEST chip. Everything, games, android, web browsing, etc, runs noticeably smoother compared to all of the other devices. In terms of efficiency (i.e. battery life) it is only outclassed by the RK3188. It tends to be more expensive though and if you don't want to spend the $20 - 50 premium for getting an Exynos you can opt for...

The Rockchip RK3188 - Which may surpass the Exynos in due time. It is manufactured on a 28nm process, and therefore clocks very high (at present 1.6 Ghz, we are hoping for 1.8 ghz in the near future) and also is significantly better on power efficiency than the RK3066 and especially the A31 which tends to chug battery based on reviews I have read of devices using it (maybe that has been fixed?).

Then comes the RK3066 and I will discuss the Allwinner A31 here as well because a lot of people will fuss at me for my ranking. The RK3066 is a dual-core. But you need to take a closer look.

First, most android apps aren't optimized for using four cores, at best you get optimization for 2 cores most of the time. Therefore, for me, I have always found that "per-core" performance is very very important as it is much more linked to "real-world" experience. So, lets talk cores...

The RK3066 uses the Arm Cortex A9 Architecture. The A31 uses the cheaper (albeit, supposedly more power efficient) Arm Cortex A7 Architecture. A9 > A7 and by quite a bit. Someone else can correct me if I a wrong but somewhere around 20-40% more performance per clock-tick on paper? So when comparing "core-to-core" the RK3066 has a significant advantage with just that. But... to add insult to injury so to speak... the RK3066 cores are clocked at a very quick 1.6 Ghz, and the A31 cores are clocked at 1.0 Ghz although that will hopefully hit 1.2 Ghz (maybe it already has... stably?). That is another massive difference... I shouldn't need to finish this thought but I will. Core-for-Core, the RK3066 is probably about 50 - 80% better.
Now, the A31 DOES HAVE FOUR CORES TO WORK WITH... I am not arguing otherwise. As a result, synthetic benchmarks, and programs that are threaded well and can fully engage the processor, will edge out the RK3066 in performance. But most of your real-world use, as stated above, isn't going to be hitting all four cores.

---Aside about Cortex-A7----
The Cortex-A7 spec was meant to be a "companion-core" for Cortex-A15 primary cores as they share a common feature-set (Cortex-A15 = very fast bleeding edge tech...). So, for example, you would have a Quad-Core Cortex-A15 with 4 Cortex-A7 companion cores which can be easier on the battery and do all the light lifting. They are also a low-cost choice as primary processors for low-end smartphones.
----------------------------

The only saving grace, imho, of the A31 is the GPU. They used a PowerVR SGX544mp2 which offers very good graphics processing. It is slightly ahead of the Quad-Core Mali-400 used in the RK3066/3188/Exynos 4412. Aside from the GPU, I called it, at best, a sideways move if not a step-backwards from what we already had with the RK3066.

My 2-cent. If you say I am biased based on what I am selling in my store, please realize I came to these conclusions and THEN decided what we would carry (RK3188 vs A31). I have some A31 units even coming for testing but I am telling Dan (our man in charge of retail now) that they should only be offered as "2nd tier" performance options and not promoted like they are the best thing since sliced bread as so many other vendors have been doing.

I will also poke at the RK3188 at this point just to be fair. It isn't that big of an improvement over the RK3066. It IS definitely an improvement and with time it might prove to be a big improvement. At present it is only a minor upgrade. The main selling points on the RK3188 for me right now are faster boot times, faster web-browsing, much improved power efficiency, and just enough extra GPU oomph to push 1920x1200 panels decently which isn't something I would recommend doing on an RK3066.

I hope that was of some use (it took a while to write lol) :)

-Roman

Edited by Roman2025, 05 May 2013 - 05:33 PM.

www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#15 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

A note on battery life...

It is affected by more than just what ARM reference design the chip is based on.

A7 should be the most power efficient (I think) even compared to A5? However the RK3188 is the most power efficient of the bunch even though it is A9. The reason being the 28 nm manufacturing process. For the life of me I can't figure out why the A31 does as poorly as it does on power consumption. It IS 40 nm (same as RK3066) but it is also much lower clocked and uses A7 cores yet based on reports I have read it does very poorly on battery life :(

Edited by Roman2025, 05 May 2013 - 05:44 PM.

www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#16 alanstorm

alanstorm

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Roman

Thanks for this insight into the difference between the processors, it's an extremely good reference point.

I have been looking for a new tablet and seen all the hype about the A31 models, and then noticed the 3188 tablets and wondered what the difference was.

Looking further into this I found that most people viewed the 3188 as being a better option and capable of handling the new retina screens, whereas A31 owners reported some lag.

Its not always easy to see the true difference in these chips from reading reviews, as people do rave about both of them, however thanks to your insight I think I will take the plunge and get a 3188 based tablet.

The only question is - which is the best of the 3188 tablets?

I would like something quality, that is going to last, be easy to upgrade and flash, have decent speakers etc. I have seen the new Cube U30GT2 and wondered if that was a good choice or if anyone thinks that there is a better tablet?

Any ideas?

#17 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Roman

Thanks for this insight into the difference between the processors, it's an extremely good reference point.

I have been looking for a new tablet and seen all the hype about the A31 models, and then noticed the 3188 tablets and wondered what the difference was.

Looking further into this I found that most people viewed the 3188 as being a better option and capable of handling the new retina screens, whereas A31 owners reported some lag.

Its not always easy to see the true difference in these chips from reading reviews, as people do rave about both of them, however thanks to your insight I think I will take the plunge and get a 3188 based tablet.

The only question is - which is the best of the 3188 tablets?

I would like something quality, that is going to last, be easy to upgrade and flash, have decent speakers etc. I have seen the new Cube U30GT2 and wondered if that was a good choice or if anyone thinks that there is a better tablet?

Any ideas?

PiPo Max M8 Pro - Best RK3188 tab currently available hands-down.

Here is our store link for it: http://www.topnotcht...s.com/buy_m8pro

Here is my review of it: http://www.topnotcht...o-m8-pro-review

It is pretty much exactly what you want. Best build quality, decent speakers, and non-retina while still having a very good PPI due to it being a 9.4" panel which means excellent image quality with no performance loss/lag.

I am going to write a comparison review between the Cube U30GT2 and the PiPo Max M8 Pro but to sum it up I would go with the M8 Pro. The speakers are vastly improved over the Cube and their is a noticeable improvement in performance because of the 1280x800 screen instead of the 1920x1200 screen on the Cube. Also, the screen is brighter on the Max M8 Pro and cleaner (no defects at all, no light bleed, better viewing angles, no light spots, no dead pixels) than that of the U30GT2 because PiPo used a panel built by LG for their display. Yes the resolution is nicer on the Cube display but overall the quality on the M8 pro is better. Hope that makes sense.

-Roman

Also - I think a fairer comparison for the ATM-7029 might be against the RK2926 (or is it RK2928?) Single-Core A9 chipset. They are same price range and the RK2926 has a Mali-400 (similar to RK3066 chip just single core and lower speed). Anyhow, I would be curious to hear some real-word test results for both.

Edited by Roman2025, 16 May 2013 - 10:45 AM.

-Ayn Rand

#18 enrell

enrell

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

---Aside about Cortex-A7----
The Cortex-A7 spec was meant to be a "companion-core" for Cortex-A15 primary cores as they share a common feature-set (Cortex-A15 = very fast bleeding edge tech...). So, for example, you would have a Quad-Core Cortex-A15 with 4 Cortex-A7 companion cores which can be easier on the battery and do all the light lifting. They are also a low-cost choice as primary processors for low-end smartphones.
----------------------------
-Roman

isnt that wat the exynos 5410 is

#19 aleksey721

aleksey721

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here so maybe I'm posting to a wrong tread - sorry about that

I've been looking for a 9.7" tablet. My criteria are very unusual I would say, the main purpose I need a tablet is to run a single PDF file. All the other functionality is not important.
Currently i have Azend Envizen Digital V800A 8” Tablet, 8GB Storage, Android 4.0
HD LCD Display 8 inch tablet PC (1080 x 768)
CPU -Cortex A8 1.2Ghz
Built-in Ram – 1 GB DDR111
System - Android 4.0
Built-in Flash -Flash memory: 8GB

The PDF file's size is about 6MB, 450 pages, with some pictures and a lot of hyperlinks. I use Adobe Reader for Android. My tablet just barely makes it - lags, quite often ignores hyperlinks, stalls, terminates the Adobe Reader.
That's why I've been looking for a more powerful tablet able to tackle that PDF file. I took a 10.1 Acer A210 with quad-core Tegra3 CPU and in terms of performance - it worked great, almost perfectly. The only problem was the aspect ratio of the screen. I realized that I need it to be 4:3, not 16:9. So now I'm looking for a 9.7" screen size tablet.
I learnt about A31 devices and very curious about Onda V972 and similar ones. Guys, can anyone who owns such a device try my file on your tablet? I would attach it to a reply should someone agrees to help me. The only thing I need to test is how fast it responds to hyperlink clicks, how stable and how long the battery lives with the minimum brightness.

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

just forgot to mention - the budget is $250

Edited by aleksey721, 17 June 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#20 Enr1988

Enr1988

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here so maybe I'm posting to a wrong tread - sorry about that

I've been looking for a 9.7" tablet. My criteria are very unusual I would say, the main purpose I need a tablet is to run a single PDF file. All the other functionality is not important.
Currently i have Azend Envizen Digital V800A 8” Tablet, 8GB Storage, Android 4.0
HD LCD Display 8 inch tablet PC (1080 x 768)
CPU -Cortex A8 1.2Ghz
Built-in Ram – 1 GB DDR111
System - Android 4.0
Built-in Flash -Flash memory: 8GB

The PDF file's size is about 6MB, 450 pages, some with pictures and a lot of hyperlinks. I use Adobe Reader for Android. My tablet just barely makes it - lags, quite often ignores hyperlinks, stalls, terminates the Adobe Reader.
That's why I've been looking for a more powerful tablet able to tackle that PDF file. I took a 10.1 Acer A210 with quad-core Tegra3 CPU and in terms of performance - it worked great, almost perfectly. The only problem was the aspect ratio of the screen. I realized that I need it to be 4:3, not 16:9. So now I'm looking for a 9.7" screen size tablet.
I learnt about A31 devices and very curious about Onda V972 and similar ones. Guys, can anyone who owns such a device try my file on your tablet? I would attach it to a reply should someone agrees to help me. The only thing I need to test is how fast it responds to hyperlink clicks, how stable and how long the battery lives with the minimum brightness.

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

just forgot to mention - the budget is $250

Post a link for pdf, and i give a look

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2