• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 Rafael5000

Rafael5000

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

[quote name='fuser-invent' timestamp='1357955479' post='488569']
@ Rafael5000 - Whats your kernel number?

I do not know. I do not have the tablet anymore. I am getting Crystal tablets to each of my students. I personalize each one, root it and install the same ROM (CM10) before handing them back to them. I rooted the one I took the .img files from, changed its boot animation, installed a couple of apps and then handed it back to its owner. It is the new December batch, however. New box and other differences, not to mention its complete "refusal" to accept CWM, TWRP or any other backup system I can think of.

I can check the kernel number on Monday.

#42 tired old man 1

tired old man 1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Closer look inside, 4x 2G men in both, 2x 29F64G08CBAAA in batch 2, 1x 29F64G08CBAAA batch 3, second line different in CPU.

attached 2 pix

Attached Files

#43 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Well the screen is definitely different and you are missing half of your flash memory if those numbers are identical. Looks like the wifi chip is the same and the cpu is just a new run of the same CPU, so those won't be a problem. Very odd on the missing flash memory though.
If I've helped you set-up your new tablet, unbrick your device or if you use and enjoy my Amlogic AML8726-M Series ROM's
please consider a donation.
My ROMS - *Crystal Clear (Ainol Crystal) *Anti-Hero (Ainol Hero) *Elenari (Ainol Elf2) *Astronautica (Ainol Aurora2) *Karbonn Custom (Karbonn SmartTab ST8 & ST10)
My DEVICES - *HP Touchpad *Ainol Crystal *Ainol Hero *Ainol Fire *Cube U30GT Mini-S *Nexus 7 (2013)
I don't respond to most PM's just because of the amount I get. If you have a question the best way to get an answer is to post in one of my threads.

My Ainol Crystal "Get Started" Guide. ----- My "How To Unbrick Your Amlogic AML8726-MX Series Tablet" Guide. ----- Go check out my music - It's all free!!!

#44 Miziel

Miziel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

It looks batch 3 has newer cpu (little;P), screen is different - no discution (maybe following the serial number we can check if it is TN or MVA decisively?)and the flash. Flash is what? RAM memory? or what? /system/?

Edited by Miziel, 12 January 2013 - 01:06 PM.

Motorola Defy &
Ainol Crystal 121208

#45 tired old man 1

tired old man 1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

It looks batch 3 has newer cpu (little;P), screen is different - no discution (maybe following the serial number we can check if it is TN or MVA decisively?)and the flash. Flash is what? RAM memory? or what? /system/?

Flash is what? RAM memory? or what?

You tell me... <g>. I have seen the same part number refered to as flash memory on this site.

"8 GB Micron 29F64G08CBAAA 25 nm asynchronous NAND modules". Else where

#46 Miziel

Miziel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

So ok that mean what? xD
Cause for me that batch2 one have 8+8+2x4 Gb? o.O I dont understand that.

OK we could have different memories for /system, /cache etc and for /data, internal sdcard - it's understandable. but that much memory for what? o.O
Motorola Defy &
Ainol Crystal 121208

#47 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Flash memory is storage, like a hard drive. Solid State drives contain a bunch of those chips. The chips with all the metal contacts sticking out of each side that are a are a little larger are the flash memory chips. The smaller ones without the metal contacts are the RAM chips. The internal SD card isn't actually an SD card, it's those flash memory chips and they are partitioned into several sections. You only see the apps section unless you have a rooted device and back up to the internal system files. Those are different partitions.
If I've helped you set-up your new tablet, unbrick your device or if you use and enjoy my Amlogic AML8726-M Series ROM's
My ROMS - *Crystal Clear (Ainol Crystal) *Anti-Hero (Ainol Hero) *Elenari (Ainol Elf2) *Astronautica (Ainol Aurora2) *Karbonn Custom (Karbonn SmartTab ST8 & ST10)
My DEVICES - *HP Touchpad *Ainol Crystal *Ainol Hero *Ainol Fire *Cube U30GT Mini-S *Nexus 7 (2013)
I don't respond to most PM's just because of the amount I get. If you have a question the best way to get an answer is to post in one of my threads.

My Ainol Crystal "Get Started" Guide. ----- My "How To Unbrick Your Amlogic AML8726-MX Series Tablet" Guide. ----- Go check out my music - It's all free!!!

#48 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

albertetsbd also cracked open his bricked Crystal and is missing the same flash memory chip and the same alternative screen. dAvie has sent me a PM reporting that he has received an even newer batch 130108 Crystal and I've asked him to post all the relevant information here and in the Crystal Compatibility Trace thread. We might be able to at least see if the bricked Crystals were a limited run or if these new January batches would also be bricked by flashing any ROM.

On another note, all SD Card Method tests have failed so far. The bootloader.img and boot.img pulled off working devices don't seem to work with the SD Card Method. I've unpacked the boot.img though and it is legit but as far as I know there isn't any way to unpack the bootloader.img. I thought I had a complete firmware package though minus those two files, which I'm still unsure if they will actually work, but it turns out the files I was given were the modded 1119 firmware. I'm in the process of getting the 1212 firmware from another user. I will continue to work on this because we honestly don't know if Ainol will release the 121208 firmware any time soon, if at all.

If anyone has given up and does not want to deal with with their bricked device anymore and wants to donate one to me, please send me a PM, I will pay the shipping costs. It would be 100 times easier and quicker for me to test on a real device instead of doing it all in my head and theoretically.

Edited by fuser-invent, 13 January 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#49 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Closer look inside, 4x 2G men in both, 2x 29F64G08CBAAA in batch 2, 1x 29F64G08CBAAA batch 3, second line different in CPU.

attached 2 pix

Are both pictures really from a Crystal?
Interesting, because then the one with two Flash chips should be a 16 GB model. I didn't know those existed.

The full ID of the Flash chips is MT29F64G08CBAAAWP.
Each of these has a capacity of 8 GB. It's right in the name:
MT = Micron Technology
29F = NAND Flash memory
64G = 64 Gigabits, i.e. 8 GB (8 bits per byte)

Edited by Tzul, 13 January 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#50 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yep, that's the post and yes I was confused as well.

#51 tired old man 1

tired old man 1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Interesting, because then the one with two Flash chips should be a 16 GB model. I didn't know those existed.

The full ID of the Flash chips is MT29F64G08CBAAAWP.
Each of these has a capacity of 8 GB. It's right in the name:
MT = Micron Technology
29F = NAND Flash memory
64G = 64 Gigabits, i.e. 8 GB (8 bits per byte)

really,really, really, Really, think I can't read? one tries then is questioned as they where a idiot..

#52 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

really,really, really, Really, think I can't read? one tries then is questioned as they where a idiot..

Yes, the real question is, why are the new batches missing a chip and how much internal storage do they have? My guess is still that they just moved from 2 chips to 1 with the same storage size.

#53 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Relax, I didn't mean to imply that you're an idiot. But you should see that this is strange - your so-called batch 2 Crystal has two 8 GB Flash chips. But only 8 GB of usable storage, I suppose?

Yes, the real question is, why are the new batches missing a chip and how much internal storage do they have? My guess is still that they just moved from 2 chips to 1 with the same storage size.

Again, there's nothing missing (as in "it was there but now it's gone"). Ainol boards traditionally have two slots for Flash chips with 8 GB tablets only using one of them.

If "tired old man 1" really can read (can he? ;)), then both Flash chips on his mystery Crystal are MT29F64G08CBAAAWP = 64 gigabit = 8 GB.
If a Crystal with 8 GB storage really did have 2x 4GB chips, then they would be MT29F32G08CBAAAWP or similar.

However, I haven't seen Ainol use anything other than 8 GB chips so far. Think about it: All (Amlogic based) Ainol tablets are very similar to each other and are using nearly the same components. They're sold with either 8 GB or 16 GB of Flash, depending on the model or user choice (some models were available in both 8 GB and 16 GB configurations). Because of that, all mainboards are equipped with two slots for Flash chips, so that Ainol can simply order a single 8GB Flash chip model in large quantities. It would not make sense from a business point of view to order a second Flash chip with a lower capacity. Unless those are noticeably cheaper, which is unlikely.

Therefore, these are the only possibilites that I see for the strange Crystal with two 8 GB chips:
  • One chip broke or was broken, so they put a good one in the second slot without bothering to remove the bad chip.
  • Both chips have a very large amount of bad blocks (at least one of them > 50%), so they had to use two chips in order to get to a usable capacity of 8 GB.
  • Both chips are fine and the tablet could actually use 16 GB of storage. But perhaps the firmware (un)intentionally hides this, so there'd only be 8 GB visible to Android.

Edited by Tzul, 14 January 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#54 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Okay, so I have some good and bad news. Bad news is, because of a miscommunication, almost everything I've done so far to try and solve the bricking problem was wasted time. What I need is someone with a working 121208 Crystal with the 3.0.8-gcda8713-dirty chengnan.tan@droid07-sz Kernel to pull everything and send it to me, including the whole system folder with the firmware, the recovery.img, the boot.img, the bootloader, etc. 3ndymion is going to pull all the files I need but that kernel is 3.0.8-gcda87f3-dirty chengnan.tan@droid07-sz so I have no idea if it will work or if that means there are three version of the batch 3 Crystal. I need people to verify if that is a 1 or an f, 3ndymion has already verified it as an f. What a pain in the Ainol! Ha... Bad joke but I couldn't help it. :lol:

The good news is that tired old man 1 is located in the U.S. and is sending me his bricked batch 3 Crystal to test with, which will make things way quicker and easier. I have no idea if I can pull it off but I'm making it my number 1 priority over any and all Crystal Clear ROM development. I'm determined to help and hopefully I will be able to do so.

Also if anyone has a batch 2 or 3 Crystal they want to donate or sell for cheap, I could really use them for development purposes. I only have a Batch 1 to test with at the moment. Send me a PM if you do.

Edited by fuser-invent, 14 January 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#55 enhydra

enhydra

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Okay, so I have some good and bad news. Bad news is, because of a miscommunication, almost everything I've done so far to try and solve the bricking problem was wasted time. What I need is someone with a working 121208 Crystal with the 3.0.8-gcda8713-dirty chengnan.tan@droid07-sz Kernel to pull everything and send it to me, including the whole system folder with the firmware, the recovery.img, the boot.img, the bootloader, etc. 3ndymion is going to pull all the files I need but that kernel is 3.0.8-gcda87f3-dirty chengnan.tan@droid07-sz so I have no idea if it will work or if that means there are three version of the batch 3 Crystal. I need people to verify if that is a 1 or an f, 3ndymion has already verified it as an f. What a pain in the Ainol! Ha... Bad joke but I couldn't help it. :lol:

The good news is that tired old man 1 is located in the U.S. and is sending me his bricked batch 3 Crystal to test with, which will make things way quicker and easier. I have no idea if I can pull it off but I'm making it my number 1 priority over any and all Crystal Clear ROM development. I'm determined to help and hopefully I will be able to do so.

Also if anyone has a batch 2 or 3 Crystal they want to donate or sell for cheap, I could really use them for development purposes. I only have a Batch 1 to test with at the moment. Send me a PM if you do.

Here we go:

Mine is:
Android 4.1.1
Kernel:
3.0.8-gcda87f3-dirty
chengnan.tan@droid07-sz))
#10 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 18 12:04:04 CST 2012

Build-Number: 20121218

SN: 121208G20064

But, I still did some things:
My Crystal is now rooted and I changed the device settings (its now an nexus 7). Now I can install all apps from the play store.

I can do it for you but I need some advice (I am a bloody beginner). ;-) My second Crystal is blocked, so I am very interested in getting a solution.

#56 fooman

fooman

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

What I need is someone with a working 121208 Crystal with the 3.0.8-gcda8713-dirty chengnan.tan@droid07-sz Kernel to pull everything and send it to me, including the whole system folder with the firmware, the recovery.img, the boot.img, the bootloader, etc.

Hi, I have a batch 3 Crystal (121208) that is a hard brick after I installed the Soulgem 0.3 ROM on it. I can't get anything to appear in the Windows Device Manager after holding down power plus the '-' button, or power plus the Home button. It has been plugged in via USB overnight so I think the battery is charged up. I also tried plugging in the AC adapter without any luck.

I made a backup before the bricking took place but I'm not sure if it will give you what you need. I performed the backup with Clockwork Mod (I was previously trying to install CyanogenMod 10 without success) so the backup folder has boot.img, system.ubifs.tar and system.ubifs.tar.a.

system.ubifs.tar is zeroed out but when I renamed the extension on system.ubifs.tar.a to .tar then it was a valid .tar file. I poked around but couldn't find any files resembling a kernel.

I'm not sure if this will help. If I get desperate enough, I may send you my Crystal so you can have direct access to it. :) It sure isn't doing me much good.

#57 fuser-invent

fuser-invent

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

@ enhydra - I'm still not sure why it's blocked, I have a bricked chengnan.tan kernel crystal being sent to me to test with. Maybe they locked the bootloader or something but I can't even sign the 1212 firmware package I created from 3ndymion's romdump.

@ fooman - If it's not being recognized by the computer check out the discussion in the Unbricking thread. It requires jumping some pins inside the device, however there is still nothing to flash to it if it's a chengnan.tan kernel. Tigger-gg did put together another rescue image test though.

#58 albertetsbd

albertetsbd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hi, I have a batch 3 Crystal (121208) that is a hard brick after I installed the Soulgem 0.3 ROM on it. I can't get anything to appear in the Windows Device Manager after holding down power plus the '-' button, or power plus the Home button. It has been plugged in via USB overnight so I think the battery is charged up. I also tried plugging in the AC adapter without any luck.

I made a backup before the bricking took place but I'm not sure if it will give you what you need. I performed the backup with Clockwork Mod (I was previously trying to install CyanogenMod 10 without success) so the backup folder has boot.img, system.ubifs.tar and system.ubifs.tar.a.

system.ubifs.tar is zeroed out but when I renamed the extension on system.ubifs.tar.a to .tar then it was a valid .tar file. I poked around but couldn't find any files resembling a kernel.

I'm not sure if this will help. If I get desperate enough, I may send you my Crystal so you can have direct access to it. :) It sure isn't doing me much good.

i explain my situation ... more or less like you ( when plug in pc usb not recognized .. i solve this ... only this ....)

I made the desoldier wire red
I jump with a copper wire instead of needle in 5 /6 (now its permanent jumped)
Try aml tool ( stop at 8% like tigger but load uboot )
I made the resoldier wire red
Now when plug in PC alway recognized like M6CHIP or worldcupdriver always ( because jump 5/6 is fixed ) i dont know i i have to break jump now ...??????

When disconect from pc and insert sdcsard ,and power + volume - Nothing .....
In sdcard i test with batch2 rescue ,and with files post in tigger post for unbrick softbrick batch 3 and nothing...

At the moment i have a hardbrick
Forced ?? ( pins 5 /6 (now its permanent jumped)

I hope this help .....

#59 tigger-gg

tigger-gg

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

@ albertetbd,

please read this: http://www.slatedroi...post__p__508009
Motorola Milestone
HTC HD2