• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mkarias1

mkarias1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hello,I need to format Micro SD to be use on an Android tablet (don't have it as it is in the mail). Do I format using FAT or FAT32?I plan on putting apps on the Micro SD card. should I just put it in the main folder or can I create a folder call Apps and will the tablet find the Apps automatically? Not sure how this works.Thanks,Mike

#2 Steep

Steep

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

FAT32 mkarias1 but it will most likely come ready formatted. Not sure about the apps myself, try it and see.

#3 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

As Steep said should come formatted fat32. Just put in the slot, Android can detect an unformatted card and will offer to format it for you. On the PC side you can create an App folder and copy the APKs there.These are install packages not just the program. To install open your file manager and go into the app folder and tap on the apk. This will launch the package installer just follow the wizard to install. One page is list of what the app can access You should look at the list before just pressing install. If a flashlight app says it needs to access to your contacts, make phone calls, and get on the internet something odd is going on and I would not install it. Exit and ask about it here at slatedroid.No real viruses yet. But there are some trojans that say they do one thing but do something else also. the main one out in the wild now doesn't hurt slates w/o phones as it calls extra charge numbers in the background.Very very rare but it's a good habit to check.

#4 mkarias1

mkarias1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

Thank you. I did not know that the APK is just the install package not the actual app. This helps a lot. I already have a Micro SD card which has some old files. I just wanted to format it quickly to erase everything and have some apps, videos & pics to test out the tablet once I get it.

#5 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

It's weird they are kind of both. when you tap a apk on the sdcard it will start the installer. Part of the install copies the apk into local storage and uses it to run the app. One of the advances 2.2 made is if the app is written to support it, the app can run from the sdcard. instead of your internal storage .

#6 MapleLeaf Tablets

MapleLeaf Tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

hey- so if i put an app on the SD card, it will STILL install/run it from the MID unit itself and not the card? (running droid 2.1)