• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RRA

RRA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I just picked up a white R7T40WWHF1 on ########### for cheap in hopes of getting it to work. From the looks of it, the previous owner tried to change the firmware and now it doesn't boot. No display whatsoever - no blue screen, no Andy. I'm hoping someone can give me advice as to how to proceed. I can connect to it and see some interesting files. There's a 55,455,435 byte file called S64N_SLST_KOBO_PD_20110602.dat. Also there is a 103,902,945 byte SLD20_20110610_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip file, and an empty directory called SLD20_20110610_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. There's a 488,110 byte recovery.img file too. Any suggestions as to what to try first? I tried the Pandigital updater app, and it crashed. Go figure...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Robert
  • bstpheal likes this

#2 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I just picked up a white R7T40WWHF1 on ########### for cheap in hopes of getting it to work. From the looks of it, the previous owner tried to change the firmware and now it doesn't boot. No display whatsoever - no blue screen, no Andy. I'm hoping someone can give me advice as to how to proceed. I can connect to it and see some interesting files. There's a 55,455,435 byte file called S64N_SLST_KOBO_PD_20110602.dat. Also there is a 103,902,945 byte SLD20_20110610_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip file, and an empty directory called SLD20_20110610_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. There's a 488,110 byte recovery.img file too. Any suggestions as to what to try first? I tried the Pandigital updater app, and it crashed. Go figure...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Robert

Looks like someone attempted to downgrade from 2012 FW...

Read mac1_131's topic here: Walmart WPDN R7T40WWHF1 firmware

Wiki here: Introduction to the Pandigital Novel

Good luck...
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#3 RRA

RRA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

I picked up this unit cheap in hopes of resurrecting it, as someone had bricked it trying to load older 2011 software. Black display, power turns red when I turn apply power, LED goes out when I try to turn it on. So I tried to connect with adb (I have Ubuntu 12.10 x64, and I installed adb through the Ubuntu Software center). It shows:
List of devices attached
???????????? no permissions
No luck there.
I tried to flash MAC1_CWM_RECOVERY_C1SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip, and after playing around a while I got the screen that says:
CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4
E:Can't find misc
E:Error in /cache/recovery/log
(No space left on device)
E:Error in /cache/recovery/last_log
(No space left on device)

I tried to install the above file with install zip from sdcard then reboot, but all I get is the blue Pandigital splash screen and it sticks there.
At least I have something on the display...
Any ideas what to try next?

I wonder about my adb. I downloaded the Android SDK for Linux, and it won't run the adb executable (I guess because it's 32-bits).

Thanks for any ideas

Followup:
It turns out adb didn't work properly on my laptop or another laptop. My laptop is a Lenovo W700 and has 4 different operating systems, a 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04, a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10, Windows XP and Windows 7. A different laptop failed with Windows XP. I finally got it to work with a third laptop running Windows 7 64-bit. Go figure... Make sure your adb recognises the tablet or you won't get anywhere useful at all!

Edited by RRA, 06 January 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#4 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Will this help? http://www.slatedroi...ind-misc-error/

p.s. moved this topic off the fw/development board and merged it with your already existing topic of the same name in the White PDN General discussion.

:drinks:

Edited by mrsburnout, 04 January 2013 - 03:00 AM.
p.s.

"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#5 RRA

RRA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Will this help? http://www.slatedroi...ind-misc-error/

p.s. moved this topic off the fw/development board and merged it with your already existing topic of the same name in the White PDN General discussion.

:drinks:

Thanks, Mrs. B. I went looking for my post and didn't see it, found I was still on the post page this morning and figured I hadn't hit post. So I pressed it again. Then I stumbled on the fact you moved it. Sorry about that. Thanks for the link, but no luck there. I figured out the tap screen, as I had tried to blindly flash from instructions found elsewhere when I had a blank screen, and now I can at least get this far. But no farther, as all I get is the blue flash screen, and adb doesn't seem to work. I posted on the other forum as that was where I was reading all the Walmart version posts and figured it would get more appropriate readership.

Followup - Thanks to Giant Wookie and mac1_131 I managed to unbrick the beast. See his post for Nov 6 at:
http://www.slatedroi...re/page__st__60

Edited by RRA, 05 January 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#6 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

Thanks, Mrs. B. I went looking for my post and didn't see it, found I was still on the post page this morning and figured I hadn't hit post. So I pressed it again. Then I stumbled on the fact you moved it. Sorry about that. Thanks for the link, but no luck there. I figured out the tap screen, as I had tried to blindly flash from instructions found elsewhere when I had a blank screen, and now I can at least get this far. But no farther, as all I get is the blue flash screen, and adb doesn't seem to work. I posted on the other forum as that was where I was reading all the Walmart version posts and figured it would get more appropriate readership.

Followup - Thanks to Giant Wookie and mac1_131 I managed to unbrick the beast. See his post for Nov 6 at:
http://www.slatedroi...re/page__st__60

:yahoo: Glad you got it unbricked! :yahoo: Thanks for the followup! :yahoo:

Edit: Updated title with [SOLVED]

Edited by mrsburnout, 05 January 2013 - 09:36 PM.

Posted Image ~cheers