Tablet shutdown around 40% battery

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 ralleweichs

ralleweichs

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

@rallewichs - Thanks for trying to help, it means alot. It looks like I still need to get a few more readings to really determine how long my battery life could be.

I guess this is the perks of buying a cheap tablet. My fire most of the time shuts itself down at 30% specially when I am running some apps plus wifi on plus the display brightness at half (the one with the half black half white shade circle thing). I went on a different route this time, I put the display brightness to the minimum and the main battery app was able to go down to 15% (double checked it with sim2k battery monitor, almost had the same numbers) which allowed me to get the notifications that the battery is nearly empty. This is also the first time that I was able to see red color inside the battery instead of the usual blue. Even if I opened wifi and some light apps (mail, facebook, etc) the tablet did not automatically turn itself off, which is curious because that is what it usually does at 30% and below. So I don't know, does the display brightness affect the tablet's reading of battery percentages or no?

Thanks for your positive feedback - I appreciate that as well!

Honestly, I cannot tell you too much about the route you have taken (I usually have wifi on and display brightness at 25%), but what I can say is that you are getting closer to your "best settings". My guess is: just a few more script/widget readings and setting experiments ... hang on!

I'm currently testing/comparing Tab_Gazer's recommendation. So far, I am not satisfied with the results (and the app itself appears rather suspicious to me).

And it might be quite interesting/helpful to know that I am running my flame with Ainol's ICS 4.0.4 without any custom ROMs. Just a few extra apps and that's it!

Edited by ralleweichs, 28 January 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#42 Mohsin Mirza

Mohsin Mirza

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Guys my Tablet shutdown at 30 %, i am unable to start it by pressing power button(i think i have broken the button by pressing to hard). is there any other way i can start my tablet?

#43 Tab_Gazer

Tab_Gazer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for your positive feedback - I appreciate that as well!

Honestly, I cannot tell you too much about the route you have taken (I usually have wifi on and display brightness at 25%), but what I can say is that you are getting closer to your "best settings". My guess is: just a few more script/widget readings and setting experiments ... hang on!

I'm currently testing/comparing Tab_Gazer's recommendation. So far, I am not satisfied with the results (and the app itself appears rather suspicious to me).

And it might be quite interesting/helpful to know that I am running my flame with Ainol's ICS 4.0.4 without any custom ROMs. Just a few extra apps and that's it!

Yeah the app I mentioned, wasn't a recommendation. Just trying to work around this. I tried it. Same basic thing, as Battery Monitor, in terms of results. The app itself was more limited, but straightforward. Not sure about suspicious? Did you see it doing something? All the battery monitors out there work about the same. I have only seen 3 apps giving a voltage calc option. The system voltage doesn't seem to update correctly or regularly. So if it is just checking the voltage the system reports that would explain the poor updating. I am using the axp20 script. Don't really understand why the chip info isn't used, doesn't really make sense to me.

I had 530v2 which seemed fine with the battery, but then eventually developed SOD. 530v2 can't even be found anywhere. Maybe an actual fix will happen. Battery Monitor seems very straightforward. When I got the voltage to update I got it to be fairly accurate. Are the people on the newer "fixed" ROM like 0926 that are dying at 40% seeing the same deviation in driver vs chip when using Tzul's script? The counters that are being reset with the so-called "fix" are they in a piece of software or an actual chip? I suppose Tzul would know.

The newer ROM must have changed the way the way the voltage etc was reported. I saw something about a new driver. In Battery Monitor I think I was using 3440 and 4140 seemed to work. The other app (Calibattery) seemed a little odder in the calcs, but this changed a bit over time. It seemed less accurate when you could get it to update. So I would stick with Battery Monitor over Calibattery. The way my system is updating I don't think this type of app will help.

#44 Tab_Gazer

Tab_Gazer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Guys my Tablet shutdown at 30 %, i am unable to start it by pressing power button(i think i have broken the button by pressing to hard). is there any other way i can start my tablet?

This is pretty basic, but are you plugging it into a charger for a bit first? Also if you hold power button for 10 seconds may help. When I had SOD I was able to just hold power button down and try pushing it a few times. If you run out of power it won't come on w/o plugging it in first though.

#45 ralleweichs

ralleweichs

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

Yeah the app I mentioned, wasn't a recommendation. Just trying to work around this. I tried it. Same basic thing, as Battery Monitor, in terms of results. The app itself was more limited, but straightforward. Not sure about suspicious? Did you see it doing something?

"The other app" has not done anything strange so far. But
- not free, limited
- in-app-payment without telling the customer what the price might be
- unnecessary permissions
- developer with an "interesting" range of products
- no widget, much too small font size in the status bar instead
- useless logs and graphs

... and shows the same info with my settings for MIN and MAX, but without the voltage readings.

Uninstalled it today.

Edited by ralleweichs, 29 January 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#46 Steve8x8

Steve8x8

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

Try to find a USB charger that is at least 1 amp, more mAh are used charging than discharging as some energy is wasted in heat. Also your charger may have over temp protection and shutdown if it gets too hot. I use a USB charger rated 2.1 amps so it only gets a little warm and can fully charge overnight.

Pardon me, but I somehow don't get your point.
I'm happy with the Samsung charger - it charges the tablet to "full" overnight, with little chance to fry my touchscreen.

The problem I was writing about happens if the tablet is *not* connected to *any* charger, but *disconnected* at *full* state without waking up. Discharge current then is >= 300mA (6%/hour) instead of 100mA (2%/hour) which I'm used to (if sent to sleep properly).

#47 Billcnz

Billcnz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Pardon me, but I somehow don't get your point.
I'm happy with the Samsung charger - it charges the tablet to "full" overnight, with little chance to fry my touchscreen.

The problem I was writing about happens if the tablet is *not* connected to *any* charger, but *disconnected* at *full* state without waking up. Discharge current then is >= 300mA (6%/hour) instead of 100mA (2%/hour) which I'm used to (if sent to sleep properly).

OK, I haven't experienced that but the tablet does wake up from sleep when I either connect or disconnect the microusb charger. I must be one of the lucky ones, I get 2-3 days standby with intermittent use or 5 hours screen on time and I can go below 10% without shutting down.

My side point was that 700 MA is a little light.

Sent from my Novo 7 Flame running CM10.1 and Tapatalk HD

#48 entity1

entity1

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

@ralleweichs

Did 2 readings over a span of a few days. Now it's working as intended, main battery app says it still got 30% and 35% consecutively while the battery monitor app reads 5% and 10%. I noticed in the middle of things that there are times that the battery monitor app would have a higher % than the main batttery amp, but it always pulls through in the end. Thanks for the advice. By the way I use 4.155 as my max and followed your 800 difference. I also am using 4.0.4 stock rom (1211tm) since I found CT's cm10.1 to drain the battery much faster than stock with just extra fluff. Plus I can play netflix on the 1211tm :p. Thanks ralleweichs for the advice, now I can use my tablet for a lot longer instead of fearing the 40% mark!

#49 Tab_Gazer

Tab_Gazer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

If you are using a slightly older rom and the battery monitor is somewhat limited, as in my case. (The battery monitor just made some updates with icons and calender events btw.)

You can use a program called SManager (free version)to setup a shortcut widget with root/su that will run Tzul's battery script in a terminal shell and tell you what the chip reports at any given time. Makes the access easier for some. It is a handy utility, but need to be careful with it, of course. Interesting, I found even when the chip read zero my tab was running. Surprised it didn't shutdown. It was around 3400 something, but then it also stated 3600 something as zero. Tzul's script has been very useful.