4 replies to this topic

#1 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Calculating Tablet Charge Times

For a tablet with 4000 mAh battery like Momo7. Using a 2000 mA / 2A charger.

4000 mAh battery = 4 Ah battery
A 2000 mA charger = 2A (per hour) charger

4 Ah / 2A = 2 hours to charge or 4000 / 2000 = 2 hours

USB 2: 0.5A/hour & USB 3: 0.9A/hour
Charge with USB2 = 4 / 0.5 = 8 hours
Charge with USB3 = 4 / 0.9 = 4 hours 27 mins

A 7200 mAh battery @ 3.7V with 2A charger = 7.2 / 2 = 3 hours 36 mins. Should take same amount of time to charge 3600 mAh battery @ 7.4V.
ie. 3600 mAh battery @ 7.4V = 7200 mAh battery @ 3.7V

Note: Battery has to be converted from 7.4V to 3.7V to get the true storage capacity.

PS, I would not use any charger with more than 2A on these tablets because sensitive electronics. 2.5A may work but really pushing it. 3A or higher charger will destroy your tablet sooner or later.

Edited by Nickos-V, 28 December 2012 - 12:25 PM.

• Roman2025 and bluestang like this

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#2 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

A 7200 mAh battery @ 3.7V with 2A charger = 7.2 / 2 = 3 hours 36 mins. Should take same amount of time to charge 3600 mAh battery @ 7.4V.

Note: Battery has to be converted from 7.4V to 3.7V to get the true storage capacity.

PS, I would not use any charger with more than 2A on these tablets because sensitive electronics. 2.5A may work but really pushing it. 3A or higher charger will destroy your tablet sooner or later.

Thanks for this! :drinks:

I am sure it isn't a perfect 1:1 as things like the fact that most Chinese chargers are cheap and don't provide consistent current :) and it seems like the last 5% takes longer than the rest (topping it off so to speak). This is a phenomenal starting point however and it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#3 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I am sure it isn't a perfect 1:1 as things like the fact that most Chinese chargers are cheap and don't provide consistent current :)

Very right you are. That is the quickest charge time possible under ideal conditions but the quality of charger and battery too could make those times longer.

People should probably add another 10-15% or 15-25 mins more time to those. At least now everyone can calculate how long it will take for their tablet to charge rather than just guess. =) Later,

PS, USB2 is super slow compared to 2A charger. USB3 is fairly slow too. I would not want to use USB port to charge tablet. Phone is not too bad to charge with USB since the battery is usually 800-1500 mAh in capacity. ie. 2-3 hours to charge by USB2

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#4 bluestang

bluestang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Nice! Thanks for the info Nikos.
Ainol Novo 7 Adv -- from TopNotchTablets
Yuandao N101 II -- from TopNotchTablets

#5 Tzul

Tzul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

That's based on two assumptions:
  • A charger rated X Ampere charges the battery with the same X.
  • Charging current remains constant.
Both assumptions are wrong.
However, a calculation like that does indeed give you a rough estimate (at least if you use the correct charging current and not the charger's rated maximum output).

That's based on the assumption that the used USB port adheres to the standard limits you quoted (500 mA for USB2 and 900 mA for USB3). Which should be true for USB data connections/ports, but not always.
Nowadays, many USB chargers (AC/DC adapters with USB port) can supply quite a bit more than 500mA without problems (see charging ports).
The same goes for powered USB hubs and mainboards.
My LCD monitor has an integrated USB hub, for example, which can provide up to 1000mA even when the USB data connection is active.
Similarly, my PC's mainboard by Gigabyte openly advertises to provide "3x USB power" per port (1500mA, I guess).

Yes, a 7200mAh 3.7V battery should have the same energy content as a 3600mAh 7.4V battery. Namely 26.64Wh. Watt-hours are a more proper unit for electrical energy than milli-Ampere-hours and you'll find Wh values printed on quite a few batteries (but not all).

This sounds as if you expect a 3A rated charger to "flood" the tablet with a higher current than a 2A rated charger. A common misconception.
Electrical devices only draw as little or as much power from the supply as they need. If a tablet under maximum load requires 7.5W of power, for example, then it'll draw 1.5A from a 5V power supply, approximately. It doesn't matter if the supply is capable of providing 2A, 3A or more. However, it should of course be able to provide at least 1.5A.

I am sure it isn't a perfect 1:1 as things like the fact that most Chinese chargers are cheap and don't provide consistent current :) and it seems like the last 5% takes longer than the rest (topping it off so to speak). This is a phenomenal starting point however and it is much appreciated.

No, it's not because Chinese chargers are cheap and don't provide consistent current. You're closer with the topping off...
Lithium-ion batteries are charged in two stages. The first is constant current, the second is constant voltage with declining current. That's why the last X% take longer than the rest, and why a simple calculation like "battery capacity in mAh / charging current in mA = charge time in hours" generally isn't accurate.
For more info, check out Battery University.

And here's a real-life example:

Attached File  Aurora2charge.PNG   39.69KB   14 downloads
I logged voltages and currents while charging my Ainol Aurora II (13.69Wh, 3.7V battery -> 3700mAh).
The diagram shows nicely that the first charging stage (constant current) took about 02:40. At that time, the battery voltage reached its peak at 4233mV. The current actually started to decline a bit after 02:00, but that's apparently normal.
The second charging stage (saturation / constant voltage) took another hour to complete. I don't know why there are two sudden drops in the current. Charging was terminated when the current dropped below 15% of the initial value (about 190mA).
The blue line is the charged energy in mAh as registered by a Coulomb counter. You'll notice that it goes up to 4000mAh, exceeding the battery's rated capacity of 3700mAh. That's normal. The counter isn't perfect and neither is the battery. You won't be able to get the same amount of energy back out of the battery (maybe about 3500mAh if you're lucky). When the battery was newer, I actually measured it being charged with 4200mAh once.

Now to the simple estimates:
The configured charging current was 1200mA, but as the diagram shows, it's actually closer to 1300mA (if the power managemenut unit's sensors are to be trusted).
3700mAh / 1300mA = 2.8h (02:48)
3700mAh / 1200mA = 3.1h (03:01)
The actual charging time was 3.67h (03:40). And it could have been longer - my battery has already lost a bit capacity due to aging and the threshold for the end of charging was relatively high at 15%.

If you've made it this far, congratulations and thanks for reading. ;)
In summary, the most important lessons I wanted to get across:
  • Lithium-ion batteries are not charged with a constant current.
  • The Ampere rating of a power supply / charger is the maximum value it can output, how much current it actually outputs at a given time is determined by the consumer (tablet).
  • The Ampere rating of a power supply doesn't tell you what current is actually used for charging the battery. The tablet's power management unit determines that.

Edited by Tzul, 20 January 2013 - 05:43 PM.

• neur0 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users