491 replies to this topic

#1 Con

Con

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Looks like they have just announced a new Quadcore 10.1" as well as a few others

http://en.ployer.cn/...etail.php?id=27

Display:
10.1 inch(16:10)IPS Screen
Resolution:1280*800,Capacitive Touch Screen,10 Points Multi-touch
CPU:
Allwinner A31,Cortex-A7(Quad Core),System Speed:1.2GHz(4*1.2GHz)
RAM&Storage:
DDRIII 2GB
Built-in 16GB(8GB,16GB optional)
External Micro-SD card is extendable from 512MB to 32GB
System:
Google Android 4.2 OS(Jelly Bean)
Network:
Wifi:Built-in Wifi Module,IEEE 802.11b/g/n
3G:External USB Dongle,WCDMA/TD-SCDMA/EVDO
Camera:
Front Camera:0.3 Mega
Rear Camera:5.0 Mega
Game:
3D Games are supported
Video:
Supports 4K Video
Battery:
8,000 mAh(working time:5-6 hours)
Function:
WiFi

ive just bought a momo12 and kinda wished id held off for this! 2GB RAM and OOTB jellybean 4.2 looks great

#2 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Looks like they have just announced a new Quadcore 10.1" as well as a few others

http://en.ployer.cn/...etail.php?id=27

Display:
10.1 inch(16:10)IPS Screen
Resolution:1280*800,Capacitive Touch Screen,10 Points Multi-touch
CPU:
Allwinner A31,Cortex-A7(Quad Core),System Speed:1.2GHz(4*1.2GHz)
RAM&Storage:
DDRIII 2GB
Built-in 16GB(8GB,16GB optional)
External Micro-SD card is extendable from 512MB to 32GB
System:
Google Android 4.2 OS(Jelly Bean)
Network:
Wifi:Built-in Wifi Module,IEEE 802.11b/g/n
3G:External USB Dongle,WCDMA/TD-SCDMA/EVDO
Camera:
Front Camera:0.3 Mega
Rear Camera:5.0 Mega
Game:
3D Games are supported
Video:
Supports 4K Video
Battery:
8,000 mAh(working time:5-6 hours)
Function:
WiFi

ive just bought a momo12 and kinda wished id held off for this! 2GB RAM and OOTB jellybean 4.2 looks great

The bigger battery is nice. However....

The Allwinner A31 may in fact bench SLOWER than the RK3066 and...

There are other ployer devices (a Samsung 4412 quad device) that advertise 2 GB of ram however that version never showed up... the only units sold have 1 Gb of ram. So whether or not these units get that much ram or not is in question.

The Allwinner A10 was a very good value chip... however it was a bit bloody unstable too and Allwinner's QC process for their chips/boards is not nearly as good as Rockchips so a lot of end-products would look fine but would randomly lock up (for example) or have other issues. I am sitting on the fence at present. I really want to embrace the A31 but there are just too many questions at present as to whether it will be good or not and the QC issues from Allwinner were painful to say the least...

Finally... these are "Announced" but I would put money on the fact that no normal person (especially in the West) will see one these products until February of 2013.

Don't feel too bad about your Momo 12 purchase, it is an excellent device. I am still on a Yuandao N90 II (rk3066, 9.7") and it was/is a good unit and I don't think I will be upgrading from this device for at least a year so to come. I also honestly think the RK3066 is going to be the better processor vs the A31 and by a noticeable margin. The A31 uses "cortex-A7" cores at a lower clock speed. Even though it is a quad I think it will be lucky to match or just barely surpass the RK3066. The only strong advantage I foresee for it is the price and possibly much lower power consumption.

My 2-Cents,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#3 Con

Con

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Thanks, that puts me at ease somewhat :)

#4 GTRElectronics

GTRElectronics

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Really interesting conversation folks,

There's a separate solitary Momo12 forum where I've just made a post as someone was interested in knowing where to get one from a UK seller, however I noted the majority of people that contact me are holding off for the Momo20 Quad (over 200 notes of interest as I write). I'm very lucky being a distributor for Ployer to get my hands on some of the dev models before release, and have a Momo20 Quad in my hands. It's not the full and finished offering, I get sent it to quality check and test in anger, however it's a great piece of kit (black model though, not the nice white ones as advertised).

Reading through Roman's post was very interesting. I've been a tablet seller for the last two years where I've gone from Android 2.2 to 4.1 (on the cusp of 4.2) and a whole host of hardware models. The tech in the tablet world is accelerating at an incredible pace, as soon as a model is released it almost seems outdated. I was aware when the Momo8 IPS hit the shelves that Ployer were already working on the Momo18 Quad, such is the development. What's interesting is that these new Quad Cores are faster, however for day to day use I fear people might not necessarily see the benefit. For example, I've been testing out the Momo20 side by side with the Momo12. There's no doubt it's a faster tablet (particularly when downloading test files from my 4Shared website) however if you're surfing the net, the difference in terms of page loads and scrolling is pretty much the blink of an eye, for the casual user there might not be any point in going top end...

I'm afraid I can't post any specifics about the Momo20 Quad at this time like benchmark results and battery life as this is on a very prelim 4.2.1 build which needs tweaking by Ployer. Interested to hear other peoples thoughts on all this though as Quad Cores are going to be the big hit for the first part of 2013, whether rightly or wrongly.

All the best
Gary
GTR Electronics

#5 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks Gary & Roman for your interesting posts :good:

I think you are correct that a lot of people would find a good dual core tablet such as the Momo12 just as serviceable for everyday use as one of the new breed of quad cores. There is also the fact that the RK3066 SoC has been out for months and the manufacturers and community know a lot more about it now than they did when it came out. Tablets like the Momo12 are good examples of "mature" RK3066 tablets. For the A31 it will probably take a few months to find out all the pros and cons.

Of course there will always be that hard core of tableteers (ahem) who must dabble with the latest tech (ok it's a fair cop :lol:)

Are there any more snippets of information you can share about the Momo20 to keep us tablet-geeks happy?

Jez
P.S. I will probably move this to the Allwinner A31 folder if there are no objections as that seems the more appropriate place.

Edited by Tablet_Collector, 08 January 2013 - 05:50 AM.

Recommended devices shown in Green
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Phones (current): Samsung Galaxy S2 JB 4.1
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#6 Con

Con

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

No issues from me, fire away.

#7 chrisd1a1

chrisd1a1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLeeds UK

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

Really interesting conversation folks,

There's a separate solitary Momo12 forum where I've just made a post as someone was interested in knowing where to get one from a UK seller, however I noted the majority of people that contact me are holding off for the Momo20 Quad (over 200 notes of interest as I write). I'm very lucky being a distributor for Ployer to get my hands on some of the dev models before release, and have a Momo20 Quad in my hands. It's not the full and finished offering, I get sent it to quality check and test in anger, however it's a great piece of kit (black model though, not the nice white ones as advertised).

Reading through Roman's post was very interesting. I've been a tablet seller for the last two years where I've gone from Android 2.2 to 4.1 (on the cusp of 4.2) and a whole host of hardware models. The tech in the tablet world is accelerating at an incredible pace, as soon as a model is released it almost seems outdated. I was aware when the Momo8 IPS hit the shelves that Ployer were already working on the Momo18 Quad, such is the development. What's interesting is that these new Quad Cores are faster, however for day to day use I fear people might not necessarily see the benefit. For example, I've been testing out the Momo20 side by side with the Momo12. There's no doubt it's a faster tablet (particularly when downloading test files from my 4Shared website) however if you're surfing the net, the difference in terms of page loads and scrolling is pretty much the blink of an eye, for the casual user there might not be any point in going top end...

I'm afraid I can't post any specifics about the Momo20 Quad at this time like benchmark results and battery life as this is on a very prelim 4.2.1 build which needs tweaking by Ployer. Interested to hear other peoples thoughts on all this though as Quad Cores are going to be the big hit for the first part of 2013, whether rightly or wrongly.

All the best
Gary
GTR Electronics

Its good to see gtr on slatedroid. Welcome Garry.

Should give us a good 'insider' view of ployer's upcoming range.

As an aside, thanks for the brill service getting my 8ips to me last year. I'm one of the converts who can live with the WiFi issues.

Any updates on software releses upcoming on any of the ployer range? I noticed that the build available for the 7 and 8 on your site is an older on to the Chinese version posted on slate.

Edited by chrisd1a1, 08 January 2013 - 04:52 AM.

Posted Image

HTC Sensation XE

Momo 8 IPS

Device history

Eken A90 tablet

HANNSPADD tetra 2 tablet: running chrisd1a1 Gingerpad

HTC HD2 - droid - various

win mo (retired)

chrisd1a1 sense HYBRID

chrisd1a1 DROIDHYBRID
XDA IGNITO - chrisd1a1 sense rom
XDA Mini s stock O2UK WM5 rom
XDA Argon stock O2UK WM5 rom
XDA orbit2 various roms

chrisd1a1 facebook

chrisd1a1 google +

https://www.paypal.c...:NonHostedGuest '>feel free to buy me a beer

#8 GTRElectronics

GTRElectronics

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Its good to see gtr on slatedroid. Welcome Garry.

Should give us a good 'insider' view of ployer's upcoming range.

As an aside, thanks for the brill service getting my 8ips to me last year. I'm one of the converts who can live with the WiFi issues.

Any updates on software releses upcoming on any of the ployer range? I noticed that the build available for the 7 and 8 on your site is an older on to the Chinese version posted on slate.

You're very welcome Chris, pleasure doing business with you.

The Momo7 IPS firmware I have is the most up to date one Ployer released, however noted that they've dated theirs the 27th Dec rather than the 25th which is how I've dated mine. If people need a Neutral version of the Momo8 IPS firmware you can download from here: http://please use an alternate file host/file/l8HDa70b/Momo8_IPS_Neutral.html?
It's purely the IMG file and is unzipped as I had quite a few people who couldn't download the original file, apologises for the size of the file.

Android 4.2 is just on the cusp of release, Ployer are very busy trying to land this on their new tablets (Momo18 - 20 Quad in particular), however they also have the Momo7 Speed & IPS, Momo8 IPS, Momo12 and potentially Momo11 Speed on the cards for 4.2 too. I would try and not get your hopes up though, Ployer are very good with software updates, better than any other Chinese brand I know, however do have a tendancy of not following through on this kind of activity in my experience. I pester them as much as possible and there is healthy debate at times between us, however I'm just a small business seller at the end of the day and the UK market makes up a very small % of their overall portfolio therefore don't always get what I want!

Hope this helps,
Gary
GTR Electronics

#9 GTRElectronics

GTRElectronics

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Gary & Roman for your interesting posts :good:

I think you are correct that a lot of people would find a good dual core tablet such as the Momo12 just as serviceable for everyday use as one of the new breed of quad cores. There is also the fact that the RK3066 SoC has been out for months and the manufacturers and community know a lot more about it now than they did when it came out. Tablets like the Momo12 are good examples of "mature" RK3066 tablets. For the A31 it will probably take a few months to find out all the pros and cons.

Of course there will always be that hard core of tableteers (ahem) who must dabble with the latest tech (ok it's a fair cop :lol:)

Are there any more snippets of information you can share about the Momo20 to keep us tablet-geeks happy?

Jez
P.S. I will probably move this to the Allwinner A31 folder if there are no objections as that seems the more appropriate place.

Hey Jez,

Hope you're well, sorry for not coming back to you sooner.

The Momo20 Quad I have is very nice, really impressed by it. I've had the pleasure of dealing with Onda and Ainol in the past (when I started out) and ended up putting all my eggs in one basket with Ployer purely because the physical build quality and software was far superior - a few years down the line and if this sample is representative of what they are going to manufacture then times are looking good indeed! The one I have is black and non-branded, looks good but I believe Ployer are just going to be doing a white version as per the pics on their website (plus there's no colour option on the invoice spec they sent me). It has a preliminary 4.2 build which is stable but has a few bugs which I've reported back. I'd rather not talk about this aspect as Ployer are updating it regularly and it would be remiss for me to post anything on an area that's in a state of quite a bit of development. Needless to say there's nothing sinister to worry about from what I'm seeing (although Ployer don't appear to want to root this as standard).

Very impressed by the speed and power of this machine, the 8 GPU's seem to pack quite a punch. I use Quake 3 as a test and there's marked improvement over dual core, quad gpu models. I find the Momo8 IPS benchmarks the best out of all Dual Core tablets (from Ployer), however there's definitely a good uplift here. WIFI is great, I have full 4 bars up to around 5m, plus I can see the majority of the neighbours routers which is a real positive as the Momo11 Bird suffered when it came out with WIFI range and the Momo8 IPS is still in that boat to some extent. Speakers are the best I've heard to date on a Ployer model, looks as though they've gone with upgraded modules, however the big one for me is the 5MP rear camera and new Photo Optimisation software. With Ployer only doing 2MP on the their tablets before it's a huge improvement. Not had the pleasure of using another Chinese branded tablet with 5MP to date so can't draw comparisons there, but pictures look fab.

All in all, very impressed and very keen to understand pricing from Ployer at the end of the month. Apologises I can't post any benchmark scores and go into further detail, appreciate this is what people are wanting but I'm conscious I don't have the finished article and don't want to over promise or under deliver as things could change (and likely will) between now and release that would affect performance.

Hope this is helpful, as soon as I get more info I'll be sure to post, particularly around price and performance.

All the best
Gary
GTR Electronics

#10 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Hey Jez,

Hope you're well, sorry for not coming back to you sooner.

The Momo20 Quad I have is very nice, really impressed by it. I've had the pleasure of dealing with Onda and Ainol in the past (when I started out) and ended up putting all my eggs in one basket with Ployer purely because the physical build quality and software was far superior - a few years down the line and if this sample is representative of what they are going to manufacture then times are looking good indeed! The one I have is black and non-branded, looks good but I believe Ployer are just going to be doing a white version as per the pics on their website (plus there's no colour option on the invoice spec they sent me). It has a preliminary 4.2 build which is stable but has a few bugs which I've reported back. I'd rather not talk about this aspect as Ployer are updating it regularly and it would be remiss for me to post anything on an area that's in a state of quite a bit of development. Needless to say there's nothing sinister to worry about from what I'm seeing (although Ployer don't appear to want to root this as standard).

Very impressed by the speed and power of this machine, the 8 GPU's seem to pack quite a punch. I use Quake 3 as a test and there's marked improvement over dual core, quad gpu models. I find the Momo8 IPS benchmarks the best out of all Dual Core tablets (from Ployer), however there's definitely a good uplift here. WIFI is great, I have full 4 bars up to around 5m, plus I can see the majority of the neighbours routers which is a real positive as the Momo11 Bird suffered when it came out with WIFI range and the Momo8 IPS is still in that boat to some extent. Speakers are the best I've heard to date on a Ployer model, looks as though they've gone with upgraded modules, however the big one for me is the 5MP rear camera and new Photo Optimisation software. With Ployer only doing 2MP on the their tablets before it's a huge improvement. Not had the pleasure of using another Chinese branded tablet with 5MP to date so can't draw comparisons there, but pictures look fab.

All in all, very impressed and very keen to understand pricing from Ployer at the end of the month. Apologises I can't post any benchmark scores and go into further detail, appreciate this is what people are wanting but I'm conscious I don't have the finished article and don't want to over promise or under deliver as things could change (and likely will) between now and release that would affect performance.

Hope this is helpful, as soon as I get more info I'll be sure to post, particularly around price and performance.

All the best
Gary
GTR Electronics

Hey Gary,

I'm fine, thanks for asking. Thanks also for taking the time out to reply. I know you must have been busy with the Momo20 evaluation.

The Momo20 sounds like it could be one of Ployer's best yet with great speakers, WiFi and even good quality cameras. Does it come with the video player that shows video previews and can run 4 HD videos simultaneously?

I assume Ployer don't root their tablets to avoid "customer returns due to tinkering"? Although most people find a way to root the tablet themselves anyway so it seems kind of unnecessary.

Very keen to see the price on this one.

Many thanks,
Jez
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#11 GTRElectronics

GTRElectronics

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hey Jez,

The Momo18 - 20 Quad tablets should be pretty special, as you say keen to get the pricing for them off Ployer in the next few weeks. It does indeed come with a 4K Player (up to 4096 x 2160 pixels) and supports 3D Bluray output (via v1.4 mini HDMI cable).

From a warranty perspective Ployer have taken a firmer stance over the last 6months and only support their own software. Before they were fairly relaxed and shipped rooted. As you say though, within a week or so of most models landing there is usually an Amazon discussion board which has rooting instruction. Would note that there are websites on the net which say the Momo20 will come with a Retina Display (approx 3840 x 2160 px I think). The one I have is definitely not Retina, it's IPS 1280 x 800, but very nice and bright. Will be interested to see what the difference is in performance and power consumption if it does transpire to get the Retina treatment, or just comparing it to the similar Momo19 Quad which definitely will be shipped with Retina... will keep you posted.

All the best
Gary
GTR Electronics

#12 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hi Gary,

Yes that's the one thanks; 4K Player.

The Momo20 could be the perfect tablet with 10.1 inch 1280 x 800 display and A31 SoC, especially if the display is as good as the Momo12. Do you know if Ployer are planning to do a 10.1 inch Retina tablet i.e. 1920 x 1200 or higher?

I am still not totally convinced of the need for Retina due to increased power consumption and therefore shorter running time on a full charge. Out of curiosity though I have ordered an Onda v972 which comes with a 9.7 inch Retina display just to see whether Retina is really worth it. I would prefer a 10.1 inch Retina screen because I still prefer the aspect ratio of 10.1 inch screens (16:10) but the only one currently available is the Ramos W30HD and it has too small a battery IMHO.

To summarise the upcoming quad core Ployers (all using A31):

Momo18 - 8 inch IPS (1024 x 768, 4:3). 4000maH battery.
Momo19 - 9.7 inch IPS Retina (2048 x 1536, 4:3). 8000maH battery.
Momo20 - 10.1 inch IPS (1280 x 800, 16:10). 8000maH battery.

Do you know of any more in the pipeline?

Thanks
Jez

#13 johnnyblades

johnnyblades

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hi Gary,

Yes that's the one thanks; 4K Player.

The Momo20 could be the perfect tablet with 10.1 inch 1280 x 800 display and A31 SoC, especially if the display is as good as the Momo12. Do you know if Ployer are planning to do a 10.1 inch Retina tablet i.e. 1920 x 1200 or higher?

I am still not totally convinced of the need for Retina due to increased power consumption and therefore shorter running time on a full charge. Out of curiosity though I have ordered an Onda v972 which comes with a 9.7 inch Retina display just to see whether Retina is really worth it. I would prefer a 10.1 inch Retina screen because I still prefer the aspect ratio of 10.1 inch screens (16:10) but the only one currently available is the Ramos W30HD and it has too small a battery IMHO.

To summarise the upcoming quad core Ployers (all using A31):

Momo18 - 8 inch IPS (1024 x 768, 4:3). 4000maH battery.
Momo19 - 9.7 inch IPS Retina (2048 x 1536, 4:3). 8000maH battery.
Momo20 - 10.1 inch IPS (1280 x 800, 16:10). 8000maH battery.

Do you know of any more in the pipeline?

Thanks
Jez

I actually prefer the 9.7 inch but don't want the battery killing retina display. I'm not seeing a new Ployer with that build. Will probably wait until the new rockchip tablets come out and see if there is a good 9.7 inch 1280 x 800 option. Certainly exciting things happening

#14 GTRElectronics

GTRElectronics

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Question for the masses... What do you think reasonable prices are for new Quad Core tablets? How much would people be willing to pay?

Appreciate there are a lot of variables like OS, Screen (IPS or Retina), Battery size, Camera's etc that all impact overall price but interested to understand peoples thoughts on this.

To bring this to life I can bring a 7" Quad Core Tablet to the masses at the beginning of Feb (ish) with the following specs for £139.99 including postage:

CPU: Allwinner A31
Processor:ARM Cortex-A7 Quad-Core 1MB L2-Cache, 256KB L1-Cache
POWER VR SGX 544 Eight cores
Android 4.2
7'' HD IPS LCD Screen 1280*800,Five point Capacitive touch
Memory:2GB Dual-Channel LPDDR2/DDR3/DDR3L Controller
Dual-Channel Nand Flash Controller: 16GB
TF card :Expandable to 32GB Micro SD Card
WIFI; Bluetooth
Front Camera 0.3MP, Back Camera 2.0MP
Integrated HI-FI 100dB Audio Codec Audio: MP3,WMA,OGG,FLAC,APE,AAC,AC3,ATRA,DTS
Video: •UHD H.264 4K*2K @30fps video decoding •Full HD video decoding
•BD Directory, BD ISO and BD m2ts video decoding •H.264 High Profile 1080P@60fps encoding •3840*1080@30fps 3D decoding •3840*1080@30fps 3D encoding
Video output: Integrated HDMI1.4 4K*2K@30fps
Photo; eBook
Flash 11.1
Ports: USB Host/OTG, Earphone, DC IN,MicroSD slot, mini HDMI
Battery; 3000mAH
Internet use via WIFI:up to 4 hours

Battery is slightly light, but apart from that the above is probably fairly representative of what the majority of Quad Core tablets will feature in the coming Quarter (with changes being Battery Size, Screen Resolution and Camera Quality, and of course size of tablet). By comparison I can bring to the market a very similar 7" tablet which would retail for £99.99 including delivery but would have the following differences:
Rockchip RK3066
Cortex A9 Dual Core
Quad Mali-400
Android 4.1
1GB DDR3
Video Decoding is not 4K, only up to 2160p

Apart from the above, everything else is the same. Do people think the £40 is justified? In comparison to a Nexus 7 or Fire HD I guess it's pretty excellent value for money, however with it being in the value for money market, not sure if Quad Cores will take off immediately if this is representative of price differentials...

Open for debate and to welcome peoples thoughts...
Gary
GTR Electronics

#15 wurstt

wurstt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

To bring this to life I can bring a 7" Quad Core Tablet to the masses at the beginning of Feb (ish) with the following specs for £139.99 including postage:

I think, NO. The tablet builders often scrimp on battery, but that's a very important point. e.g. HTC would sell far more smartphones and tablets if they got better batteries in their devices.
In my opninion 7 inch should have at least 4000mah, 8" 5000mah and 9.7"-10.1" 8000mah. Even the Onda V812 with 4500mah has issues with battery life.

I would pay this price (170€,$225) for this specs only if it has a RK3188 and 4000mah. But the A31 doesn't justify this price.
The Onda costs only 899 RNB. With shipping and reseller comission it costs around $175-190. I like 7" more but the onda is the bigger bang for the bucks.

Edited by wurstt, 10 January 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#16 DK2k

DK2k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

I think, NO. The tablet builders often scrimp on battery, but that's a very important point. e.g. HTC would sell far more smartphones and tablets if they got better batteries in their devices.
In my opninion 7 inch should have at least 4000mah, 8" 5000mah and 9.7"-10.1" 8000mah. Even the Onda V812 with 4500mah has issues with battery life.

I would pay this price (170€,$225) for this specs only if it has a RK3188 and 4000mah. But the A31 doesn't justify this price.
The Onda costs only 899 RNB. With shipping and reseller comission it costs around $175-190. I like 7" more but the onda is the bigger bang for the bucks.

I broadly agree with wurstt there, battery is a crucial as display and are the two main issues apart from actually working reliably in my view. What use is a portable when you need to be forever finding a mains power supply or you cant see the display anywhere apart from a darkened room. I also fail to see why speakers are too often located on the back (even worse when in a protective case) when you really want them facing forward.

As a further issue when searching for the announced momo20 specs, it would seem there is no bluetooth, a showstopper for me, particularly as the quad core used is one of the weaker ones.

#17 DK2k

DK2k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

I broadly agree with wurstt there, battery is a crucial as display and are the two main issues apart from actually working reliably in my view. What use is a portable when you need to be forever finding a mains power supply or you cant see the display anywhere apart from a darkened room. I also fail to see why speakers are too often located on the back (even worse when in a protective case) when you really want them facing forward.

As a further issue when searching for the announced momo20 specs, it would seem there is no bluetooth, a showstopper for me, particularly as the quad core used is one of the weaker ones.

Been thinking a bit more about this.

primary importance - reliability. Everything works. If it aint reliable, it aint worth buying.
eg
* Screen displays without washed out colours and/or reflections giving you headaches and is at least 1024 resolution
* Touch responds without delays/misses
* wifi connects and stays connected at least 20 feet away through a simple partition wall
* Battery lasts as long as stated, the meter accurately shows you what you have left, and it is at least 4000mah
* system doesn't stall/freeze/slow to a crawl or always need rebooting after running a couple of apps
without the above, its not really fit for purpose as a general purpose tablet in my view

Now for the detail for my purposes:
* Battery lasts *at least 5 hours* (PREFERABLY MORE) as browser/bookreader within the above wifi range (I would not buy a tablet with less than 4000 battery - less than 4k demonstrates a high risk of the crap/unreliable/poor quality end of the market in my opinion)
* Near to specialist nook/ereader screen visibility - even if its a special/black and white format you need to select (I would not even consider a tablet with less than 1024 resolution - I subscribe to a number of pdf magazines). I don't want to have to buy a separate ereader.
* Must have easily expandable storage ie sdcard and at least 1GB memory and 16GB storage on board - no excuses for less now
* processor needs to be fast enough to cater for media heavy web pages quickly and smoothly. I would say dual core rk3066 class 1.5/1.6Ghz minimum. (and not 1.2Ghz that you might be able to overclock to 1.5, or worse 0.8/1.0 CPU you may be able to overclock + 400 GPU classed as 1.5. Again this practices demonstrate the crap end of the market which will likely give many problems in my opinion)
* Bluetooth for keyboards, gps etc
* Preferably usb that allows connection of a wide range of USB devices
* Preferably USB charging for flexibility in car etc

and the above is to get on a shortlist. :/

Edited by DK2k, 16 January 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#18 osmyth

osmyth

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Question for the masses... What do you think reasonable prices are for new Quad Core tablets? How much would people be willing to pay?

Appreciate there are a lot of variables like OS, Screen (IPS or Retina), Battery size, Camera's etc that all impact overall price but interested to understand peoples thoughts on this.

Open for debate and to welcome peoples thoughts...
Gary
GTR Electronics

Gary, have had an email conversation with you recently re the Momo/Ramos 9.7/10.1.
For me it's tricky to say about price differential because of what the user wants the tablet to do.
As you have said earlier for general usage and not heavy 3D gaming then maybe a dual-core will suffice (Momo12 seems to get some good reviews).
This is the way i'm leaning subject to prices. I think around £20 more for a Quad (all other things being equal) would be my limit.
There is also the debate about whether the Quads will actually perform significantly better than a RK3066 for example. Your comparison of the Momo12 vs Momo20 has/will shed some light.
Then there is the Retina display debate, which again relies on comparisons to see if there is significant improvement.
Owen.

#19 DK2k

DK2k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Gary, have had an email conversation with you recently re the Momo/Ramos 9.7/10.1.
For me it's tricky to say about price differential because of what the user wants the tablet to do.
As you have said earlier for general usage and not heavy 3D gaming then maybe a dual-core will suffice (Momo12 seems to get some good reviews).
This is the way i'm leaning subject to prices. I think around £20 more for a Quad (all other things being equal) would be my limit.
There is also the debate about whether the Quads will actually perform significantly better than a RK3066 for example. Your comparison of the Momo12 vs Momo20 has/will shed some light.
Then there is the Retina display debate, which again relies on comparisons to see if there is significant improvement.
Owen.

Regarding processor speed, As the game developers will mainly be writing for the big sellers... and the galaxy and ipads already out there are running on their existing processors ....
and it does bring us back to reliability. If the wifi/bluetooth/touchscreens are unreliable, what use a faster processor to hardcore gamers (or anyone else)?

I do realise that the question was regarding how much would folk pay for a quad core, but without consistency and reliability of the rest of the device, my answer would be - nothing.

I can't currently justify £399 UK or even £299 UK for a galaxy. I could justify up to £199 UK for a reliable dual core (or quad core) 1280 display tablet which met my various portable requirements, but I can't justify anything for a tablet that is unreliable or whos battery lasts less time than my 5 year old 1440*900 17" display, 2Ghz+ 64bit processor, nvidia graphics, 4GB ram, 640GB storage laptop. (£30 UK spent 6 months ago for an replacement extended battery that lasts upto 3 hours). You can pick up a good version of this sort of spec of laptop second hand for about £200 uk. Only downside is the greater size and weight.

Yes I want a tablet for greater portability and convenience, but the above perhaps puts these tabs performance and practicality in perspective.

Edited by DK2k, 16 January 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#20 s0me0ne

s0me0ne

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Momo 20 seems so great ! There has to be a drawback, I cannot believe that soon I will be able of purchasing such a tablet.
Anyone knows its expected price? I guess around 200$ right ?