Android Tablets Forum banner

Onda V812 QuadCore 8" IPS Tablet

42K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  Nickos-V 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you are looking for an excellent iPad Mini alternative with a very competitive and cheap price tag, you're definitely looking at Onda's newest V812 Tablet. The very first 8" China MID Tablet packed with a powerful QuadCore Cortex A7 processor with an OctoCore PowerVR SGX544 graphics that is similar to latest iPad device. Its very good to see Onda taking the initiative to provide a low cost 8" Tablet powered with the latest Allwinner A31 Chipset is said to improve the Cortex A7 architecture offering a more efficient, more powerful than today's Cortex A9 processors.

Like Onda V972 Tablet, the Onda V812 Tablet also have a huge 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 16GB or Storage plus a capability to add a microSDCard upto 32GB. Having a QuadCore processor, OctoCore graphics and 2GB of RAM will definitely withstand every known heavy Apps and Games created for Android as of today. Users can now simply enjoy the JellyBean 4.1 Android OS's multitasking without worrying to much of resources it needs. However, like other Allwinner A31 Tablets being offered as of now to Market, this Onda V812 lacks Bluetooth Connectivity as-well. You are forced to use BT Dongles if you usually need them.

An Online Store based in Shenzhen China is already selling the Onda V812 Tablet for almost half the price of Apple's iPad Mini, you can them them for US$185.99 including a world-wide free shipping.

Onda V812 Quad Core Features:
CPU: AllWinner A31 Quad Core
GPU: Power VR SGX544MP2 8 Core
RAM 2GB,DDR3 1MB L2 Cache
Storage 16GB
Screen: Capacitive Touchscreen, 1024*768 resolution
Size: 8 inch
Resolution: 1024*768 IPS
Gravity Sensor: Yes
Camera Daul Camera,Back 5.0M Camera with Autofos,Front 0.3M
Onda V812 Quad Core Tablet PC Details:
Brand Onda
MPN Onda V812
Extend Card Support TF card up to 32GB extended
Gravity Sensor Yes
Google Play: Pre-installed
Multi-Touch Yes, 5 points touch
Android Market Yes
Skype Yes
Email and Browser: Yes, built in
WIFI: 802.11b/802.11g / 802.11n
Earphone Interface 3.5mm
Video:4K HD Videp Play with formats of MP4/3GP/3G2/RM/RMVB/ASF/FLAC/APE/MOV etc.
Music MP3/WMA/FLAC/APE/WAV/RA/Ogg/MIDI/3GP etc.
Ebook UMD, TXT, PDF, HTML, RTF, FB2…
Battery : Li-Poly 4500mAh

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm pretty new to chinese tablets. First I saw the Archos Gamepad and wated to buy it for my little brother. Then I saw that other tablets have the same SoC, too and RK3066 isn't that bad. It's very interesting to search through almost unknown tablets for Europeans/Americans and to find out that they are market leaders in china.

Now I discovered RK3188 and A31 as new SoCs and since the Onda v812 seems to be the best for my budget I want to buy it. 7 inch would be better but who cares.

Amazon.cn sells it for 899 rmb and shipping costs seems moderate and of course Amazon is trustworthy.
I used google translate to make an account on Amazon.cn but they wont ship this item to other countries -.- Now there are other alternatives.

This shop has no ratings yet, so it's pretty risky to order from there. But it's still the cheapest (177 USD incl. Shipping). Some kind of Gambling?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/V812-quad-core-16g-tablet-8-second-generation-ips-hard-screen-quad-core/719943262.html

Mistertaobao would be a save alternative, but with my budget I only can afford China Post which will take months until I get it.
And this is the point. Order now and get the onda v812 in 1-2 month or waiting 3 weeks to gather some more news on tablet market like another A31 tablet in this price range or even better: a RK3188 Tablet?
Will RK3188 be better? and does anyone knows what this chip costs? like 20 USD?

EDIT: It's now in stock on amazon.cn (black version)!
http://www.amazon.cn/gp/product/B00APB5RY8/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=pc

Damnit, is there a trustworthy amazon.cn buying agent? can't find any, they are only taobao agents.

#6 ·
And this is the point. Order now and get the onda v812 in 1-2 month or waiting 3 weeks to gather some more news on tablet market like another A31 tablet in this price range or even better: a RK3188 Tablet?
I suggest that you wait for a little longer because cube is going to release its 8 inch tablet soon and ainol too /(with GPS). I myself wait for some reviews to be sure what my next purchase will be.

#7 ·
I guess that you're right. From what google translation wants to tell me, there seem to be some compability issues. But well A31 is new, better support is just a matter of time. Curiously enough the Onda v972 seems to run without major bugs.
Hopefully the other companies are already putting something together and announcing new tablets soon. 7 inch, 1280x800 IPS Display, 4500+ mah, 2GB and of course a new SoC would be nice. And hopefully around 100-130 + 30 USD shipping.
I think the run on the new cube tablets will be huge.

#10 ·
The reviews could be better. Especially the battery life is an issue, but nevertheless I ordered this device for $189,99 @merimobiles (In Stock).
There is one Taobao-Seller where you can order it with the help of mistertao for $160 (144 Onda V812 + 14 Fee + 2 Shipping with China Post) but I don't like the Payment System and I need this tablet until Jan 30th.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
#15 ·
I've just gotten my V812 three days ago. Quite please with its performance so far. Only let down for me was the battery life. They boasted a 4-6 hours battery life, but practically I could only squeeze out around 4 hours on average (min screen brightness, WIFI on).

#17 ·
here are my Antutu test results of the Onda V812 and the Ainol Novo 10 Hero ii.

model : V812 Core4
device : fiber-onda809q9
brand : onda
manufacturer : unknown
resolution : 1024 x 720
GPU Vendor : Imagination Technologies
GPU Renderer : PowerVR SGX 544MP
cpuinfo : Quad-Core ARMv7 Processor (VFPv4, NEON)

model : Novo 10 Hero QuadCore
device : gs702a
brand : Android
manufacturer : ainol
resolution : 1280 x 752
GPU Vendor : Advanced Graphics Corporation
GPU Renderer : S5 Multicore Engine
cpuinfo : Quad-Core ARMv7 Processor (VFPv4, NEON)

..........Antutu v3.0.3 results:

..........Ainol.Hero ii......Onda V812
..........ATM7029.........Allwinner A31

RAM...2690...............1543.......1547
CPUi...3615...............2811.......2876
CPUf...2845...............1793.......1830
2.D.......910...............1058.......1054
3.D......1771...............4733.......4539
I.O........315..................525........495
SDw.......54..................150........105
SDr......175..................203........203

Tot....12375..............12816......12649

CPU..1200 Mhz(*4)....1008 Mhz(*4)

I was a bit disappointed about the quadrant score, especialy the Onda, both came hardly above 3000.

Both units are very well build, good screen, no complaints about that, no dead pixels etc. Very good wifi reach and both are running smooth.
I am sure most people will satisfied about the twoo, but if i had to choose one, i took the Onda, runs overall a bit faster and has slightly brighter screen.
Compare these twoo with my Ployer Momo12, i would take the Momo12, because it is for sure not running slower the way i use my devices, its exceptional bright screen, the wifi reach, and i like its lighter weight.(-660, -560, must say, the battery of the ainol must be heavier, 8000mAh-6000mAh)

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was a bit disappointed about the quadrant score, especialy the Onda, both came hardly above 3000.
Similar results to what I have seen in other benches from China.

ATM7029 very weak in 3D. The rest of the scores are good-great.
A31 is great in 3D & SDw. High SDw boosts IO score too. The rest of the scores are good-very good.

The ATM7029 is clocked 1.2 GHz x 4 compared to A31 at 1.0 GHz x 4. That extra 200 MHz per core (ie. 20% higher clock speed) should really help give better CPU (& RAM?) results to ATM7029.

My N80 gets almost 4400 in Quadrant. Interesting to see how I score way better in Quadrant but in Antutu about the same or slightly less than those tablets. Makes you wonder who to believe. Antutu or Quadrant??? How can these tablets do really great in one benchmark and not so great in another? At least my RK3066 tablet scores very strong in both Antutu & Quadrant.

Edit: I would have to see Quadrant breakdown for those tablets to see what is going on there. ie. compare to my N80. Could be that Quadrant is not multi-threaded? etc.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
I really don't understand why the Onda-Tablet, Ainol-Tablet, Ramos-Tablet, etc. always makes exaggeration on Battery Capacity of their Tablets for sale...

I believe all of them is just under one company..

the Real Battery capacity of Onda V812 is 4500mAh... Confirmed from Pandawill..

for me, even if A31 will be the most efficient quadcore, 4500mAh won't be enough.. chipset is just one of energy consuming part of tablet.. how bout the rest like WiFi, Screen, etc?

Onda should've made this one with atleast 5000mAh or even larger..

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
goddamnit, the support of merimobiles is so slow. after my order there was an issue with different billing and shipping address. Since friday they didn't answer anything, whether my email or my support ticket -.- usually in china they work during the weekend, right?

where did you order your Onda V812?

maybe it's even better this way to wait some weeks until better tablets will be released. but then I have to know, what the status is right now.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have upgraded my Onda V812 from firmware v0.8 to v1.0, easy with the tool included in the download. Upgrading a Allwinner A31 device is easier as upgrading firmware of RK3066 devices, because the drivers you need, install automatically.
After this i have to say, the device is running faster and much much smoother as on the stock firmware, but also with this firmware there is no full playstore available.

I decided to root the V812 with ZhuoDaShi, what is very easy. After that i put the XML files in system/etc/permisssions, stop, and clear data of googleserviceframework and further clear cache and clear data of the google playstore.
After rebooting the V812, chrome, dutch 'buienradar',twitter,facebook, all available.( i did not change the fingerprint)

I have to say i am very satified with my Onda V812, but in my view there is no need to replace your RK3066 device in a Allwinner A31, thinking getting a faster device.
This is not the case, and i am curious after reviews of the Onda V972, with retina screen of which i think it is not as fast as i am used to with the A31 chipset.

#25 ·
I have upgraded my Onda V812 from firmware v0.8 to v1.0, easy with the tool included in the download. Upgrading a Allwinner A31 device is easier as upgrading firmware of RK3066 devices, because the drivers you need, install automatically.
After this i have to say, the device is running faster and mutch mutch smoother as on the stock firmware, but also with this firmware there is no full playstore available.

I decided to root the V812 with ZhuoDaShi, what is very easy. After that i put the XML files in system/etc/permisssions, stop, and clear data of googleserviceframework and further clear cache and clear data of the google playstore.
After rebooting the V812, chrome, dutch 'buienradar',twitter,facebook, all available.( i did not change the fingerprint)

I have to say i am very satified with my Onda V812, but in my view there is no need to replace your RK3066 device in a Allwinner A31, thinking getting a faster device.
This is not the case, and i am curious after reviews of the Onda V972, with retina screen of which i think it is not as fast as i am used to with the A31 chipset.
What about battery life??

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Battery life is I think 4-5 hour, comparing with my other devices for sure not bad.
I use it WiFi on and brightness 75%.

One less point so far, the sound quality and strenght of sound is a bit disappointing.

#28 ·
I wonder the listing 6000 mAh of the V812 is right. I do not believe this but to check this, i think you have to open the case.

#32 ·
Hello I have received my onda v812. In my honest opinion there is nothing the allwinner a31 CPU can do the a rk3066 CPU can't. I have tested them side by side and loading opening and installing apps is faster sometimes on the rk3066. I am very disappointed. Also its reminding me of my old a10 tablets that had trouble with web browsers. I'm hoping a firmware update will make this thing perform as i expected. Antutu scores... a31 over clocked to a max of 1.2 GHz scored 1400s. And the rk3066 (pipo s2) running at 1.6 GHz ran 1100s. But when using them I think the rk3066 CPU is pretty equal. Save your money wait for rk3188 as I should have. Battery lasts about 3-4 hrs for me wifi and games. Games do run a bit smoother though thanks to the gpu

#35 ·
My experience with the V812 is deteriorating by the day! The tablet's WIFI is suddenly giving me problems.

Someone please help!

WIFI has been fine for the past week. Today, very suddenly, it starts to disconnect from WIFI (both home router and in public network). I did not install any new apps today, so I do not think I accidentally tempered with any setting. This is very frustrating because i have to turn the WIFI on and off to reconnect, only to be disconnected again in the next minute.

Do anyone have any idea what might be the problem here?

#36 ·
in general android 4.1 does not run as well as it does on rk3066. especially when im downlding apps from market this tablet begins to crawl i thought having a 1mb lv2 cache and 2 gb of ram would make a difference in multi tasking however it does not i run the same amount of apps and games as i have on my rk3066 tablets and the v812 should theoretically perform better but sadly is does not. the rk3066 is better at installing apps and loading them and switching between apps is quicker. im really hoping a firmware update helps. as of right now i would never consider buying an a31 device ever again. and there is atill the famous problem with web browsers that existed with the a10 cpu. browser at times crawls and takes forever to load simple pages and wont let u scroll until the page is completly downloaded. this cpu must perform terribly with a retna screen. and battery onlynlastes a max of well put itthis way i have 8% left right now and its nly been on battery for 2hr56mins. better hurry up before it di.................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.